Nor Cal Div C Gravity Vehicle Questions

Punam Gollamudi

Jan 23, 2021, 5:01:02 PM1/23/21
to Science Olympiad Coaches
Hi Nor Cal Coaches,

We are trying to wrap our heads around the Gravity Vehicle Event. Wondering if others are also struggling? We are all sheltering in place and have been for the school year. Rules for MiniSO specify that students can't meet.  Some of our students don't have the required space in their homes (30-40 feet). They have been asking me lots of questions about doing the event by themselves, finding a spot at their home, completing the 3 runs in 10 minutes while measuring the distance (etc.).

I was wondering if other coaches had ideas on how they can do their trial runs, by themselves, pointing the vehicle and measuring the distance all with in 10 minutes. (I assume parents can't help because they are supposed to hold the camera.) Is there some way students can have parents help without breaking the rules?

How are they going to assess the build with everyone testing on different surfaces (hard wood, cement, tile, etc.)

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Punam

Joanna MacDonald

Jan 24, 2021, 1:10:03 PM1/24/21
to Science Olympiad Coaches
According to the rules, you will be given a target distance and it is marked with a piece of 2.5x5 cm tape. (Rule 6c). The distance is measured from that point. So measuring the distance should not be as onerous as measuring from the start point. I saw one girl who place markers every 1m along her hallway during her run. Time is not a factor so students can run their vehicles outside on the driveway or the parking lot/street by their home. Mark a starting point, measure out the distance and put a piece of tape down. Film the runs and measure from the piece of tape. I not sure how the students are supposed to demonstrate that their car is under the 2000g. We had ne girl do the event at the Nov 7 Practice Science Olympiad. I will see if she still has the directions for submitting the video.

Hope that helps,
Jo

Cameron Nickerson

Jan 25, 2021, 11:07:20 AM1/25/21
to Joanna MacDonald, Science Olympiad Coaches
The time spent measuring is not counted towards the 10 min. Rule 5e. And I suppose it would make sense to throw out the rule about not going down until called by ES. I don't seem to have an updated set of rules which would exclude that. Maybe a Rule Clarification is in order.

I agree that the decision to continue with this event seems strange since there is no clear way for team members to coordinate on this while not meeting face to face.

Cameron Nickerson
OHS Science Instructor

Cameron Nickerson

Jan 25, 2021, 11:36:15 AM1/25/21
to Joanna MacDonald, Science Olympiad Coaches
Actually, the clarification about following has already been given in the modifications handout.:

  • Participant(s) will be responsible for measuring the distance of each run and showing it to the Event Supervisors. They are allowed to follow the vehicle as long as they do not touch the vehicle prior to it coming to a complete stop.

Cameron Nickerson
OHS Science Instructor

Punam Gollamudi

Jan 25, 2021, 12:03:13 PM1/25/21
to Cameron Nickerson, Joanna MacDonald, Science Olympiad Coaches
Thank you all for your help. I just heard that Southern Cal. is making this a trial event.  That really seems like the right way to go.  Those of you in Northern California, we are not allowed to go to schools, gyms, etc. or anyone else's house. =(

Setting up the tape intervals in advance seems like a great idea! This will help alleviate some of the stress for sure!

@Joanna: We are on an actual live zoom call for the event. Thanks for your offer for following up.

@Cameron: I will look for the event modification language.  I appreciate your support.

Sincerely,
Punam

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Science Olympiad Coaches" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ScienceOlympiadCoaches/CAK%2BMsgBBpRSxJBAcZt2VvHmZrOb1WTcsn1MNN%3DH42qMcjZQrtg%40mail.gmail.com.