What's the name/title of this book?

Aaron Bynum

Mar 10, 2014, 10:11:27 AM3/10/14
to science...@googlegroups.com

A friend of mine is trying to track down a book. Here's her question:

Anyone know the name of this book or recognize it? I read it back in the 90s and stole it from my brother who was in high school. I mostly remember the cover. It has a young man facing a desert at night with some sort of blue light / energy set out like a grid on the cracked earth. In the book the young man is either trying to out run or fight this light which (if i remember right) is going to destroy the Earth or some how is a threat beyond just himself. I think he fought a giant scorpion construct made of energy/light at the end of the book. (But maybe i am just making that up?!) He was mostly alone in his quest. It seems that it is set in modern day and that it was a sci-fi thriller.

Any one read this one or know the title?