outdoors?

Teresa Nunes

May 15, 2008, 9:11:51 PM5/15/08
to science-...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone be interested in an outdoor picnic-type meet-up some
weekend in June while the weather is still decent? How about out in
the valley...?

The reason I say the valley is because I was looking into renting the
Alaska Live Steamers for that kind of event. I looked into it with
the intention of booking a party at my own expense for our group.
Unfortunately, they no longer offer party bookings. :( You can still
rent rides on the mini trains for $4 each. Its over a mile long track
on a hobby train track in the woods. You get to ride the trains over
tressels, through a tunnel, through the woods, over crossings, etc.
Its a good half hour, usually, and every year they expand and modify
the track. You have to admire the kind of dedication that it takes to
keep something like that running. Its located next to the
transportation museum, which is also fun. The trains are fun, both
for kids and for adults. I can't imagine any nerd-type person not
enjoying such an afternoon.

I'm sure there's other good places we could meet, also. I can
probably name a dozen good spots in the Mat-Su, and I'm sure you all
know Anchorage and Eagle River locations. I'd sure like a valley meet-
up, though, and have you carpool out to our neck of the woods.

->T

__________________________________
Teresa Nunes
Meadow Lakes, Alaska
ptar...@iceworm.com

"Hope is a waking dream."
-Aritotle, from Diogenes Laertius, Lives of
Eminent Philosophers

s_r...@yahoo.com

May 16, 2008, 9:12:34 PM5/16/08
to Science and Skepticism in Anchorage
On May 15, 5:11 pm, Teresa Nunes <ptarmi...@iceworm.com> wrote:
> Would anyone be interested in an outdoor picnic-type meet-up some
> weekend in June while the weather is still decent?  How about out in
> the valley...?

Not a bad idea.

I can't add anything more substantial to the plan, though, except to
plug an upcoming event. Everyone is invited to watch the 3rd annual
Flyball Tournament at the Fairgrounds in Palmer, June 25, 26, 28 & 29
(that's a Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday). Flyball is a team
sport for dogs. More info here:

http://flyballdogs.com/alaska/index.html

Dogs will compete hourly for most of each day, so come by anytime. We
usually set up near the Purple entrance, on the Palmer side of the
fairgrounds.

IPA

May 20, 2008, 2:04:07 PM5/20/08
to Science and Skepticism in Anchorage
I wish my dog had better manners so I could take her to doggie events.
She loses all sense of decorum when around other dogs. One hundred
pounds of excited butt-sniffer at the end of a leash...yay!

A picnic meet-up sounds fun. I can't tell you what would be a good
date for me, though. At least not yet.

Teresa Nunes

May 20, 2008, 3:12:43 PM5/20/08
to science-...@googlegroups.com
> I can't add anything more substantial to the plan, though, except to
> plug an upcoming event. Everyone is invited to watch the 3rd annual
> Flyball Tournament at the Fairgrounds in Palmer, June 25, 26, 28 & 29
> (that's a Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday). Flyball is a team
> sport for dogs. More info here:

That really looks like fun! I wonder if my big, lumbering Saint
Bernard could do it...

->T

Teresa Nunes
Meadow Lakes, Alaska
ptar...@iceworm.com

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous."
-Aristotle, Parts of Animals