Re: Solutions - Statistical Inference Casella & Berger

JIBONAYAN

Jan 25, 2005, 9:49:32 PM1/25/05
I have the complete solution set. I can send them to anyone who is
interested on request.

Jonathan Duggins

Jan 26, 2005, 2:31:18 PM1/26/05
I would be delighted if you would send this to me. I am reading the
text now and it is difficult.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Simon Davis

Jan 28, 2005, 7:06:38 PM1/28/05
Hi
I hope anyone can send me the answers of chapter 6 to 10 .Yup the book
is too difficult I am looking forward to receive ur email
Thanks
Simon

Simon Davis

Jan 28, 2005, 7:06:38 PM1/28/05
Pls if anyone has solutions from Chapter 6 to 10 , pls send them to
me.
Sincerely yours

leon

Jan 31, 2005, 7:31:04 AM1/31/05
I also need the solution set. It would help me a lot!
Thanks in advance!

Alan

Feb 1, 2005, 5:28:24 PM2/1/05
I'd love a copy too ... alancox AT gmail.com

Thanks!

Yq

Feb 7, 2005, 8:46:31 AM2/7/05
On 25 Jan 05 21:11:14 -0500 (EST), JIBONAYAN wrote:
>I have the complete solution set. I can send them to anyone who is
>interested on request.

I am interested in it.

Thanks,
Yq

WS

Feb 7, 2005, 3:39:40 PM2/7/05
I would really appreciate if you can sent me a copy of the problem
solutions from Chapter 7 to 12. It is very useful for me to practice
on these problems for my class.

Thanks

Gretchen

Feb 10, 2005, 5:28:12 PM2/10/05

Please send solutions! Peace:)

Su

Feb 11, 2005, 7:38:23 AM2/11/05
Hi JIBONAYAN,

Please send me a copy too. I need it desperately. I have sent an
email to your account some time ago to ask about it.

Cheers,

Su

Simon Math

Feb 11, 2005, 7:38:22 AM2/11/05
I have the Solution , I can sell it .

John

Feb 11, 2005, 10:32:25 AM2/11/05
I also sent an email last week about this, I would appreciate if you
would email them to me.

Simon Davis

Feb 16, 2005, 12:16:07 AM2/16/05
if u want to buy it contact me at stud...@hotmail.com

toko

Feb 22, 2005, 5:23:07 AM2/22/05
Hi JIBONAYAN,

Please send me a copy too. I need it desperately. I have sent an
email to your account some time ago to ask about i

adnan

myue

Mar 23, 2005, 10:41:37 PM3/23/05
Please send me a copy of "Solutions - Statistical Inference Casella & Berger", my email address myu...@gmail.com

Thanks

Ian

Apr 20, 2005, 7:18:34 PM4/20/05
> I have the complete solution set. I can send them to
> anyone who is
> interested on request.

Could you please send me the solution set of stat inference by casella to ian.a.r...@gmail.com. thanks

Richard

Apr 23, 2005, 5:33:36 AM4/23/05
I would also love a copy of the solutions

Cheers Richard

Reef Fish

Apr 23, 2005, 12:27:28 PM4/23/05

Richard wrote:
> I would also love a copy of the solutions

Judging from what I've seen in sci.stat.math this year, the
Casella-Berger
book must be a popular textbook, and its Solution Manual must be a Best
Seller in Statistics, if there is such a category.

WHY?

The book appears to be an ELEMENTARY level graduate text in
mathematical statistics, judging from the course number and
grouping of courses in

http://www.stat.ohio-state.edu/current/textbook.html

Presumably, the 622 (Casella/Berger), 645 (Neter, Kutner et al)
are courses for both Advanced Undergraduates and Beginning Graduate
students, whereas the 800-level courses are for grad. students.
Neter/Kutner book is indeed an Undergraduate text.

Simon> Yup the book is too difficult

It's doubtful. It's more likely Simon didn't understand the
material presented in the text, and wanted the solution manual
for answers to his homework problems.

Su> Please send me a copy too. I need it desperately
toko> Please send me a copy too. I need it desperately

leon> I also need the solution set. It would help me a lot!
Grechen> I also need the solution set. It would help me a lot!

HOW?

A Problem Solution Manual will not help anyone's understanding
of the text material. It is usually meant to TEST if the student
understands it or not. If not, they a student is supposed to
they UNDERSTAND it.

Looking at a Solution Manual will do exactly the opposite, from
the point of view of comprehension. Student may get the "answer"
without understanding WHY.

I co-authored an ELEMENTARY graduate level textbook in data analysis,
in which I provided all the PROBLEMS, many of which were designed to
see if the students understood the text material. The PROBLEMS were
very easy, IF a student understood the SUBSTANCE of the statistical
theory and methodology.

The book was adopted as textbook in mnay universities, judging from
what the publisher told me and my royalty checks. :-) But EVERYTIME
I spoke to the publisher, he said his most frequent request was that
of a Solution Manual for my problems, from the INSTRUCTORS using that
textbook.

I told him something to the effect that if the Instructor needed a
Solution Manual for the book, s/he shouldn't be teaching the course;
and if the STUDENTS wanted a Solution Manual, I would have told them
to BURN IT anyway, as I've told several students in sci.stat.math,
for reasons given to them.

I never wrote a Solution Manual for Instructors or Students for that
book, and some lived miserably thereafter, while some others lived
happily thereafter. :-)

-- Bob.

Message has been deleted

Reef Fish

Apr 23, 2005, 6:25:50 PM4/23/05

DZ wrote:

> Reef Fish <Large_Nass...@Yahoo.com> wrote:
> > A Problem Solution Manual will not help anyone's understanding
> > of the text material. It is usually meant to TEST if the student
> > understands it or not. If not, they a student is supposed to
> > they UNDERSTAND it.
> >
> > Looking at a Solution Manual will do exactly the opposite, from
> > the point of view of comprehension. Student may get the "answer"
> > without understanding WHY.
>
> That's correct under some assumptions:
>
> 1) Student's goal is to pass the course by easiest possible means.

I think this assumption holds for most of the students who
"desperately" want to see a Solution Manual to problems.

> 2) Lecture materials and notes are adequate.

I don't believe that's a NECESSARY assumption. This reminds me of
working through some of the problems Feller's Volume II, which had
numerous typos. Some of the typos occurred in the PROBLEMS. When
the typos are in the text portion of the book, they were relatively
easy to spot and correct. But when they occurred in a PROBLEM,
one that makes the problem unsolvable, or unprovable, then it's
horse of a different color.

I recall having gone through one of those problems, and in the
course of figuring out HOW that problem should be correctly stated,
I understood the substance of the chapter much better as a result.

It never occurred to me to want a Solution Manual; but I did
convey to Feller that I wish he/Wiley had an ERRATA of the typos
in his two books (which could make a small volume in itself <G>).

> These are not always the case. I once was in a situation coming into
> math/stat PhD program with a graduate biology background (very little
> math and some useless cookbook "bio" statistics). During the summer I
> studied analysis, calculus, matrix algebra etc. on my own and having
> solutions helped tremendously. For example, it took me about a week
> go trough Howard Anton's 1000+ pages calculus book and its many
> exercises - some of which I solved myself but many I simply read from
> the solution manual - to get a pretty good understanding. I had to
> come back to the basic textbooks later but the courses I took in the
> fall no longer seemed such a challenge. The point is - it is not up
> the author to decide which of the typical problems should be
> considered solved examples for everyone in every possible situation.

Your is an exceptional case. A VERY exceptional case. If I were in
your shoes, I think I would have gone through some of the problem
NOT working through them, but just know what technique I need to use,
and felt confident that I had chosen the correct technique.

In many mathematical problem, the recognition of method needed may
take 15 seconds, but the execution may take 15 minutes (or an hour
or two).

> IMO, the biggest advantage of grad school (not counting the piece of
> paper stating you have a PhD) is that hopefully there will be someone
> (like Herman) who'll show you the ropes sharing experience of how to
> do independent research. Yes, I count scribbling his own research
> problems on the board during measure theory class as a part of
> it. Just the understanding of the field may come from books and
> solution manuals do help.

AFAIK, it was Herman's 3-quarter PROBABILITY class, near the beginning
of the first quarter. :-)

-- Bob.

mohammad

Apr 25, 2005, 7:51:27 AM4/25/05
hello
how are you
I interested to Solutions - Statistical Inference Casella & Berger
thanks

Cathy

May 4, 2005, 11:08:36 AM5/4/05
Please send me the solutions to Casella & Beger. I would and the rest of the class would as well very much appreciate it.

Cathy

Reef Fish

May 4, 2005, 12:01:29 PM5/4/05

Cathy wrote:
> Please send me the solutions to Casella & Beger. I would and the
rest of the class would as well very much appreciate it.

My, my! Not only do we find eager students to copy answers from the
Solution Manual, we now have a "spokeswoman" for the entire class in
Sam Houston State U of Texas, http://www.shsu.edu/, for a group-
copying project? :-)

Why don't you or the class ask the instructor of the course, Dr. Butar,

to explain what you don't understand? He seems to be reaily
avaialable:

STA 561 -Theory and Applications of Statistics
STA 562 -Theory and Application of Statistics

Instructor: Dr. Ferry Butar Phone: 294-1596
Office: Room 439G, Lee Drain Building E-mail:
mth_fbb.shsu.edu
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday : 1:00-2:00 p.m
Tuesday and Thursday: 8:00 - 11:00 a.m. or by appointment

Cathy

May 4, 2005, 12:31:09 PM5/4/05
we would but he doesn't answer questions. He expects us to know.

Reef Fish

May 4, 2005, 1:37:21 PM5/4/05

Cathy wrote:
> we would but he doesn't answer questions. He expects us to know.

Then why would he have all those office hours and ALSO "by appointment"
if those regular hours are not suitable to any of the students?

It sounds like he gave some homework problems from the textbook, and
expects the students to KNOW how to do them, after reading the text
material and listening to his lectures.

In that event, the students can always ASK for some hints, or ask for
explanation AFTER the homework assignments are due, rather than
looking for answers to copy.

If an instructor is as unresponsive as you seem to make him to be, then
it's an entirely different matter to be taken up with the
admininstration
of the Sam Houston State University.

In any event, seeking a Solution Manual to copy the answers for a set
of
homework problem is NOT the proper thing to do.

That's my take.

-- Bob.

XPEH

May 11, 2005, 12:52:02 AM5/11/05
I'd be very-very much interested in receiving a copy. My email is lord...@yahoo.com
Thank you

Krishnan Chittur

May 11, 2005, 1:36:49 PM5/11/05
Reef Fish <Large_Nass...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If an instructor is as unresponsive as you seem to make him to be, then
> it's an entirely different matter to be taken up with the
> admininstration
> of the Sam Houston State University.
> In any event, seeking a Solution Manual to copy the answers for a set
> of
> homework problem is NOT the proper thing to do.
> That's my take.
> -- Bob.

In one of my classes, a student who works fulltime called one of the
authors of the textbook we were using - told him he would really appreciate
learning the material in the book and learning how to solve the
problems - would he please send him the solution manual (What the
student failed to disclose is that he was taking the CLASS at
the same time) - I found out about it - The author was furious since
the student misrepresented himself ...

To change the subject some - I recently gave an exam where I told the
students IN ADVANCE what questions they would see - AND PROVIDED THE
ANSWERS - I told them the exam will be closed book, closed notes ...
most students did well - two did not. One of these students actually
came to argue with me on why I graded his answers wrong (in writing
partial derivatives, he wrote only the numerator part and wondered why
I gave him a zero) ... In the final exam, he made all sorts of
errors - making up thermodynamic rules along the way and complained
as to why I failed him - He is filing a grievance -

For the most part, I find that students often do not have any shame
or feel that they must spend hours working problems to learn ... we
live in that instant gratification society and these same students
will wonder later as to why we are shipping jobs overseas - just
because they have a degree, they think they ought to get a job
and big bucks - I often wonder as to how many of these students
graduate at all ...

There is a big gap between the instructors who are on the front lines
(who see all the crap) and administrators who simply want to make
sure "we work on retention" and "graduation rates" and such ...
that there has been a steady diminishing in quality is clear,
to me anyway - and not just run of the mill colleges and
universities - but the problem is far deeper than we are
willing to admit

Krishnan Chittur

May 11, 2005, 1:38:30 PM5/11/05
XPEH <lord...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd be very-very much interested in receiving a copy. My email is lord...@yahoo.com
> Thank you

You are welcome

Go to

http://www.alltheanswers.com

http://www.noneedtoworkhard.com

http://www.whybotherlearning.com

http://www.giveittomeNOW.com

and I am sure there are other sites ...

Aleks Jakulin

May 11, 2005, 2:01:04 PM5/11/05
Krishnan Chittur wrote:
> There is a big gap between the instructors who are on the front lines
> (who see all the crap) and administrators who simply want to make
> sure "we work on retention" and "graduation rates" and such ...
> that there has been a steady diminishing in quality is clear,
> to me anyway - and not just run of the mill colleges and
> universities - but the problem is far deeper than we are
> willing to admit

There are two different things: certification and instruction. One way
is to separate descriptive (non-numeric) grading for the help of the
student, and external certification authorities or professional
societies that check the completency in an objective fashion and vouch
for the standards. Some disciplines have set this up already. I wonder
if the UK system of having the examinations at the very end functions
well, though.

--
mag. Aleks Jakulin
http://kt.ijs.si/aleks/

Reef Fish

May 11, 2005, 7:19:39 PM5/11/05
Krishnan Chittur wrote:
> Reef Fish <Large_Nass...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > If an instructor is as unresponsive as you seem to make him to be,
then
> > it's an entirely different matter to be taken up with the
> > admininstration
> > of the Sam Houston State University.
> > In any event, seeking a Solution Manual to copy the answers for a
set
> > of
> > homework problem is NOT the proper thing to do.
> > That's my take.
> > -- Bob.
>
> In one of my classes, a student who works fulltime called one of the
> authors of the textbook we were using - told him he would really
appreciate
> learning the material in the book and learning how to solve the
> problems - would he please send him the solution manual (What the
> student failed to disclose is that he was taking the CLASS at
> the same time) - I found out about it - The author was furious since
> the student misrepresented himself ...

Well yes. Cheaters often do misrepresent themselves, purposely or not.

I did informed Cathy's professor, Dr. Ferry Butar, about Cathy's
request for a solution manual, not only for herself, but on behalf
of the entire class.

Dr. Butar said Cathy also wanted to have a Take Home Final exam, and
inadvertently leaked out that she could find the answer on the
internet.
Dr. Butar did not seem perturbed or even surprised, and that was a far
as I went. It's HIS business, not mine, how he conducts his class.

> To change the subject some -

EXCELLENT! You've landed on more than one of my FAVORITE subjects
in education!!

That's the subject of this new thread -- what's the PURPOSE of
giving Exams and assigning Grades to a student in any course?

I think it's in-controversial that the assignment of a grade is an
attempt to indicate how WELL the student has learned or mastered
the course material (in COMPREHENSION). The use of EXAMS and
HOME WORK assignments is an imperfect way (but the best one could
do) in making informed judgments (on the part of the instructor)
on how well a student has learned from a course.

How should this be done?

This is YOUR way:

> I recently gave an exam where I told the
> students IN ADVANCE what questions they would see - AND PROVIDED THE
> ANSWERS - I told them the exam will be closed book, closed notes ...
> most students did well - two did not.

With due respects, I think your way is A way of promoting
"regurgitation",
"hard memory", WITHOUT comprehension. Which is not good, IMHO, in an
attempt to educate.

This is precisely what Dave Barry (Pulitzer Prize Syndicated Humor
column writer) was talking about in his article, "College Anyone",
supposed written to graduating High School students aspiring to enter
college:

College is basically a bunch of rooms where you sit for roughly
2,000 hours and try to memorize things. The 2,000 hours are
spread over four years; you spend the rest of the time sleeping
and trying to get dates. Basically, you learn two kinds of things:

Things you will need to know in later life (two hours). These
include how to make collect telephone calls and remove beer-and-
crepe paper stains from your pajamas.

Things you will not need to know in later life (1,998 hours).
These are the things you learn in classes with names that end in
"ology," "osophy," "istry," "ics," and so on. The idea is, you
memorize things, then write them down in little exam books, then
forget them. If you fail to forget them, you become a professor
and have to stay in college for the rest of your life."

> One of these students actually
> came to argue with me on why I graded his answers wrong (in writing
> partial derivatives, he wrote only the numerator part and wondered
why
> I gave him a zero) ... In the final exam, he made all sorts of
> errors - making up thermodynamic rules along the way and complained
> as to why I failed him - He is filing a grievance -

The downside of your approach is that those who memorized your ANSWERS
well may not understand the material any better than this student who
didn't bother to memorize or couldn't memorize.

That's why MY approach to EXAMS is diamaetrically OPPOSED to most
teachers and professors. ALL of my exams are OPEN BOOK and OPEN NOTES.
Students don't have to memorize ANYTHING. I encourage them to organize
their own notes (what other students write on their hands and other
places to cheat -- when they have to memorize "without comprehension").

My EXAM questions test nothing but their COMPREHENSION of whatever
formulas they don't have to memorize, and whatever course material
that memorization (or rote memory) is of absolutely no use.

The Passenger (and longer and funnier paragraphs) soon became part of
my HANDOUT on the first day of class, explaining to students WHY I
don't require them to memorize any formulas, but I fully expect them
to UNDERSTAND and COMPREHEND how the formulas and concepts are used,
and used properly.

I had one occasion of a GRADUATE student who wondered why he carried
out the main steps of a probability question correctly and made some
ARITHMETIC error to have arrived at an answer of probability = 2.03,
and I gave practically no credit for that question. :-) I told him
I was being charitable not to give him a ZERO for giving a probability
answer greater than one, regardless how much or how little other
mistakes he made.

Then I have what I call "tree stumps" (undergrads who had to take a
first stat course as part of their curriulum) who disguised
themselves as college students -- who managed to miss all 10
True or False questions (that are OBVIOUS in their truth or
falsehood, if they UNDERSTOOD the course material), OPEN BOOK!

Now that's not an easy feat, but had been accomplished by many
"tree stumps" My typical exam consists of part TF, part multiple
choice, and part "Problems" -- the latter are the ones that
require systematic steps to a solution where "partial credits"
are given.

Over the years, my TF questions turned out to be the most INCISIVE
ones (and ones most dreaded by students) -- because of the maxim,
'a little knowledge is worse than none'.

So, on the question of EXAMS, we are extreme opposites in our approach.

The only "advantage" (especially to grad students and non-tenured
professors) is that student who "memorize" can always get a good
grade, whether they learned anything or not, and if they should
complain, the instructor can always point to the ANSWERS and tell
the admininstrators that he had thoroughly covered the exam
material.

I PERSONALLY consider that kind of "memorization" and easy grade
one of the FAILURES of our current educational system.

> For the most part, I find that students often do not have any shame
> or feel that they must spend hours working problems to learn ... we
> live in that instant gratification society and these same students
> will wonder later as to why we are shipping jobs overseas - just
> because they have a degree, they think they ought to get a job
> and big bucks - I often wonder as to how many of these students
> graduate at all ...

In our (USA) society, everyone expect to get an "A" (for effort or
even non-effort) whether they master the subject matter in any course
or not. TRUST ME about this. :-) This form of self-deception
starts at the kintergarden level, and persists through graduate
schools.

If a student does not pass a course, let alone not getting a good
grade or an "A", its ALWAYS blamed on the instructor!

I am reading a fascinating book about Paul Erdos (the eccentric
mathematician) now, in which there is a cartoon from Doonsbury
about this "grade inflation" phenomenon.

I can't reproduce the cartoon here, but will describe it so you'll
get the idea:

Frame 1: Professor thinking, "seems logical ..."
Frame 2: Professor thinking, "But is it politically tenable?"

Frame 3: Chairman of Department talking to Professor, "jules,
I've been meaning to talk to you about that B+ you
handed out last month."
Frame 4: "As Chairman of the Math Department, I think I was
entitled to some warning. You must have known it
would provoke a firestorm."

Frame 5: Professor, "Actually Tom, I don't. I thought it was
still possible to assign based on performance and merit."

Frame 6: Chairman, "That's a bit naive, Jules. This is a new
generation of students. They insist on a decent comfort
level."

Frame 7: Chairman, "It doesn't matter if you have a kid who believes
1 + 1 = 3. From now on, work AROUND it!"

Frame 8: Professor, "Work aorund it?"
Chairman, "Jules, you have to make math ACCESSIBLE."

It's this kind of mentality of the administration, and the mentality
of an increasing number of college and graduate students that
finally convince me to take a voluntary EARLY retirement from the
oxymoron of an "educational institution" which now seems to permeate
through MOST of the colleges and universities of the USA. We are
witnessing some of those students in this thread looking for
Solution Manual. We are also witnessing some of the PRODUCTS of
the educational system which produced college instructor and
professors who are DEFICIENT in their comprehension of very straight-
forward statistical theories and methodology such as that of
Multiple Regression, and other statistical subjects, in this and
other statistics newsgroups.

> There is a big gap between the instructors who are on the front lines
> (who see all the crap) and administrators who simply want to make
> sure "we work on retention" and "graduation rates" and such ...

Been there. Done that. Gary Trudeau's Doonsbury cartoon strip
mentioned above caricaturized that phenomenon perfectly!

> that there has been a steady diminishing in quality is clear,
> to me anyway - and not just run of the mill colleges and
> universities - but the problem is far deeper than we are
> willing to admit

I've seen the steady decline, first hand, during the past 30 years.
I was a TENURED Full Professor in 1977, seven years after my Ph.D.
The students of the 70s and early 80s at least have the semblance
of college students as they should be.

Starting in the late 70s and early 80s, when the college expenses
were rapidly rising, many students had to work FULL TIME while
pursuing a college degree FULL TIME -- when they also spend full
time on sports, beer parties, and other "more important" things
in life :-), time spend on COURSES is the first one to give.

What really accelerated this down-hill slasom of higher education
was the beginning of administrator using "student ratings" as
a LARGE part of their "evaluation" of professors for tenure and
promotion!

First of all, the students are NOT competent to EVALUATE a
professor on course evaluation and pedagogy, for the most part,
unless the students themselves are very mature, such as some
classes of students I was privileged to encounter at two graduate
schools of very high academic prestige.

Some professors and instructors soon learn that an the EASIEST way
to excel in Rating by Students is to give as many A's as possible
as easily as possible. When their CAREER (tenure and promotion)
depended on this ABUSE of usage of Student Rating by the admin, it
is easy to see why most professors compromised their integrity in
favor of "can't fight city hall" or what Doonsbury called
"politically untenable" to give anything but A's. B+ won't cut it. :)

It's not easy to find a solution for the untenured teachers as long
as the ADMINISTRATORS continue the ABUSE of using inappropriate
Teacher Ratings by students, which allow students to use that as
their weapon to blackmail professors for easy grades without learning!

I have fought the system nearly single-handedly for over 2 decades.
When the same undergraduate first course in statistics at the same
university was DILUTED to half the original content 30 year ago, I
held the line, and started FLUNKING students not meeting what I
considered to be the absolute mininum standards for such a college
course. The percent of students who dropped out or received F
from that ocurse of mine started around 10%, then 20%, ..., then
over 50%. I held the line! When the "administrators" (who had
noticed it for years) started to yield to student complaints,
and tried to put the blame on ME and my teaching, rather than the
erasion of standards and the status quo of "nobody fails" in
most of the other sections of the course, hell broke lose. :-)

I filed formal complaints on my Department Chair, my Dean, my
Provost, all the way up the line, when they ALL abused their roll.
When these complaints are handled by their "good ole boys" of
the same feather, that was when I decided it wasn't worth my
effort to fight the entire institution of the CORRUPT, and took
my early retirement 5 years ago and am living happily thereafter,
spending only some recreational time in newsgroups such as this
praching some of MY educational know how, and gospels such as
this EDITORIAL about the failure of our educationa system.

-- Bob.

Reef Fish

May 11, 2005, 7:30:17 PM5/11/05

Aleks Jakulin wrote:
> Krishnan Chittur wrote:
> > There is a big gap between the instructors who are on the front
lines
> > (who see all the crap) and administrators who simply want to make
> > sure "we work on retention" and "graduation rates" and such ...
> > that there has been a steady diminishing in quality is clear,
> > to me anyway - and not just run of the mill colleges and
> > universities - but the problem is far deeper than we are
> > willing to admit
>
> There are two different things: certification and instruction.

True. But I didn't think Krishnan was addressing the issue of
certification, in terms of how he determine his grades.

> One way
> is to separate descriptive (non-numeric) grading for the help of the
> student, and external certification authorities or professional
> societies that check the completency in an objective fashion and
vouch
> for the standards.

The idea of "certification" has been bantered about in the American
Statistical Association for years, analogous to the accountant (CPA)
and lawyer (bar exam) and medical certifications to practice those
professions.

The examination and grades in EVERY course is practiced more in
American colleges and British universities. For example, I have
been told that students at Oxford and Cambridge are subject to
EXAMS only once during their four years of college studies. I
think the American system of frequent exams work far better,
as long as the system is not abused by the students AND the
administrators.

-- Bob.

Russell...@wdn.com

May 12, 2005, 9:58:59 AM5/12/05

There have been regular discussions about the deterioration of
academic standards and skills in sci.research.careers in the past
several years. I'm not sure how much is just "things were better
in the good old days", how much is that today's college students
are drawn from a wider population than they used to be, and how
much is "real". I remember lazy students when I was in college.
But part of the problem IMO is that colleges are trying to do
two opposing things at once. While they still try to be the
protectors and propagators of academic standards (at least at
the level of individual professors), they are increasingly
businesses, selling a product (education) to customers
(students). These customers are paying increasingly high
prices for the product, and you know the saying about customers
always being right. At least that's my take FWIW.

Cheers,
Russell

eijuhz

May 13, 2005, 11:43:18 PM5/13/05
can you send me the Solutions - Statistical Inference Casella & Berger ?
thanks a lots .
i'm form china.
maybe we can share some data through EMAIL.
my Email:jz...@shnu.edu.cn

abhijit

May 14, 2005, 12:37:29 PM5/14/05
Could you please send me a copy of the solution? It would help me understand the material better as there are references to the exercise from the proof of the theorem.

thanks a lot in advance.
--abhijit

Patrice

May 14, 2005, 10:50:57 PM5/14/05
can you please send the all the solutions you have for the textbook please. I am attempting almost all the first 5 the questions in the book in preparation for my exams and i need to check whether my answers are correct or not.

Please send to my email: superg...@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks a lot for your help!

Marie

May 18, 2005, 10:46:27 PM5/18/05
Dear JIBONAYAN,
I would like it very much if you would send the solutions manual to me. I would like the complete set, especially the first six chapters to start. I will pay you for them. I need them to check my own solutions as I work the problems. I just found out that I need the solutions for summer school and it starts next week! Thank you. Please know that I will pay for your cost of duplicating, shipping, etc. Marie

Brian77

Jul 8, 2005, 1:25:45 AM7/8/05
I'd like to get out of statistics phobia.
Please, send me a copy of the solution manual.
Thank you so much in advance.

my email address is sen...@hotmail.com .

buckaroo

Sep 9, 2005, 12:15:59 AM9/9/05
Can anyone send me the solutions to this book?

Reef Fish

Sep 9, 2005, 12:45:19 AM9/9/05

buckaroo wrote:
> Can anyone send me the solutions to this book?
I am sure someone can.

But if you are looking for the solutions to Problem 1.18 & 1.20,
the answers are ZERO, and ZERO, for reasons I gave Seeker.

-- Bob.

Message has been deleted

Robin Ayoub

Sep 15, 2005, 3:39:51 PM9/15/05
Hello,
How are you? I was wondering if you could send me solutions to Statistical Inference Casella & Berger. I would be so greatful. It is hard to do some of the problems when you can't even check if you are correct.
Thank you,
robin
ros...@umd.umich.edu
Message has been deleted

Robin Ayoub

Sep 15, 2005, 5:03:20 PM9/15/05
why thanks doofus, you are so kind
robin

use...@mylounge.com

Sep 29, 2005, 4:45:48 PM9/29/05

Hi, I also need the solutions for that text. Could you send them to me
please. Thanks!!!!

--
pipe
pipe's Profile: http://schools.mylounge.us/member.php?userid=31802

use...@mylounge.com

Sep 30, 2005, 2:51:56 AM9/30/05

Hi Everyone,

Did someone receive those solutions? I don't see anyone who says they
did. I would really appreciate if someone would sent them to me. My
email is:
zeki...@yahoo.com

Thanking you in advance

--
zeki
zeki's Profile: http://schools.mylounge.us/member.php?userid=31813

use...@mylounge.com

Sep 30, 2005, 7:59:36 PM9/30/05

I would love for you to please send me this solution set. I'm having a
hard time with some of the text and it would be so helpful to see the
solutions. Thanks in advance!

--
JC8383
JC8383's Profile: http://schools.mylounge.us/member.php?userid=31829

use...@mylounge.com

Oct 1, 2005, 4:04:35 AM10/1/05

JIBONOYAN (or someone else),

Can you pls send the material. Thanks...

--
teltel
teltel's Profile: http://schools.mylounge.us/member.php?userid=31830

use...@mylounge.com

Oct 2, 2005, 9:02:12 AM10/2/05

Hi I will be grateful if you could send me a copy of the sulotion.

my email is filt...@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot

--
filter238
filter238's Profile: http://schools.mylounge.us/member.php?userid=31846

Message has been deleted

Daniel

Oct 2, 2005, 6:15:19 PM10/2/05
I took two courses that each used the first and second half of this
book (respectively). In the first course, our professor made up
assignment questions and used some from the book, which he modified. He
then provided us with step-by-step solutions to the problems once the
assignment deadline had passed. In the second course, the instructor
used problems directly from the book and gave us a photocopy of the
solutions that appeared in the solutions manual, for the specific
problems that were on the assignment.

To be honest, the solutions are sometimes very short and skip a couple
of steps that must probably be obvious to professors, but less to
students. The level of some solutions is also very high. Had I had
access to them while doing my assignment, it would have been very
difficult for me to pass them as my own work (although I am sure some
people out there are very creative).

Any course based on this book is most likely very challenging and a
good understanding of the subjects will need a couple of re-reads as
well as doing exercises. If you're taking a course at this level,
chances are you'll need the stuff (or at least some of it) later on so
the time investment is really worth it.

use...@mylounge.com

Oct 2, 2005, 8:20:34 PM10/2/05

Dear Dr. Doofus:

I totally understand and agree that the transaction must be as strictly
confidential as possible, and I want the transaction to be as strictly
confindential as possible.

Let me know what the next step is and how we would communicate about
the modalities and so on.

Clarification: my email address is zeki...@yahoo.ca not .com.

My best regards,

zeki

use...@mylounge.com

Oct 3, 2005, 8:27:46 AM10/3/05

JIBONAYAN Wrote:
> I have the complete solution set. I can send them to anyone who is
> interested on request.

I also need the solution set.
Please send me the solution.
Thanks in advance!

linjo...@gmail.com

--
jonlien
jonlien's Profile: http://schools.mylounge.us/member.php?userid=31867

use...@mylounge.com

Oct 3, 2005, 2:21:41 PM10/3/05

I also need the solution set. My e-mail is Scot...@comcast.net.

Thanks.

--
sbrobi
sbrobi's Profile: http://schools.mylounge.us/member.php?userid=31873

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

rusviva

Oct 12, 2005, 2:06:55 AM10/12/05
are there nice people in this world still?
please email me solution manual russ...@yahoo.com
Message has been deleted

myarun

Oct 17, 2005, 7:22:55 PM10/17/05
Hi ..

please send the solutions . ( atleast chapter 3 if not complete solutions )

thanks in advance

mail id : myar...@gmail.com

ak

Amit

Oct 19, 2005, 11:13:16 AM10/19/05
Could you please send me the solution manual for Casella and Berger? I am a wharton phd student. You can reach me at delln...@yahoo.com

thanks so much...

vidalmarian

Oct 24, 2005, 9:38:22 AM10/24/05
Hello,
I am having trouble with stats in my graduate programm.Coud you please send me the solutions?Thanks

vidal...@mac.com

Message has been deleted

byoungkoo

Oct 24, 2005, 10:34:29 PM10/24/05
Hi. Please, send it to me. I really need it. Thank you. byoung...@gmail.com

Reef Fish

Oct 25, 2005, 12:39:14 AM10/25/05

Dr. wrote:

This is a recurrent thread in which I have participated on previous
occasions, but haven't followed for some time.

My curiosity was aroused partly because of the name "Dr. Doo.." I
saw (thinking it was some Dr. Doodoo), and I had just finished
demolishing the "crazy old lunatic" Luis A. Afonso, on his
accusation that I erred in my solution to a Casella & Berger
problem, when I was writing a satirical piece about how POORLY
and ambiguously those two author had stated their intended problems.

Your post did not disappoint me!

It was one of the best I have read in this thread, heavily
populated by the bottom-dwelling slimes in academia.

> Dear Marian,
>
> Back in early 20 century my great-uncle who was a big eel fancier was
> very puzzled why no restaurants in either Europe or America would ever
> sell baby eel, although baby octopuses were as abundant as ever. What
> does it have to do with Casella and Berger you'd ask impatiently. Bear
> with me for a moment.
>
> So my great-uncle, who lived in West Virginia, would have to settle
> for "baibie octopie" instead, to "shove 'em down the piehole", he'd
> say.
>
> He'd always blame liberals, communists, republican conspiracy, and the
> sorry state of the graduate educational system for the lack of baby
> eels despite the apparent demand. He didn't know back then as we all
> know now that eels always come to breed to the Sargasso Sea!

Ah, your tale was becoming interesting and educational until you
over-extended your knowledge about the "sorry state of the graduate
educational system in the USA" (which I totally agree).

You see, through my recreational interests (on which my posts were
flamed by one "Nassau Fishing Pier" and had been cross-posted in
FIVE different newsgroups <among a dozen or more> I had posted
this year, including sci.stat.math) that one of my interests
have to do with eels when I dive with them -- and of the thousands
or scuba dives I've done, none was in the Sargasso Sea. :o>

I have come into contact with the Green Moray (Gymnathorax funebris)
often and had wondered myself why I've NEVER seen a Green Moray that
is less than 3 feet in length, let alone a baby green eel.

The same if true of the Spotted Moray (Gymnothorax moninga), the
Purplemouth moray (Gymnathorax vicinus), the Viper moray (Enchelycore
nigricans), the Goldentail moray (Gymnothorax milianis), and Chain
Moray (Echicina catenata), and others. I even had my finger bitten
by one of these moray to know that it had three long teeth in a
triangular configuration that pierce through the finger and left
a three-dot triangle for months. :-)

Why I, or no one I know, ever encountered a baby eel of any of
these species remains a mystery to me, but the answer certainly
does not come from the Sargasso Sea.

> Now, the way you spell it Marian, "programm", intermediate between the
> American "program" and the British "programme" spellings, lead
> Dr. Doofus to believe that you're posting from the Sargasso Sea. Am I
> right? Tell Dr. Doofus it's true. Then back to business, Marian:
>
> Would you like to trade the complete set of solutions for just fifty
> kilos of baby eels (preferably alive)?

Dr. Doofus, I believe I'll have you underbid by a wide margin. If
I had the Casella & Berger book, I would have thrown it away anyway,
as I stated in my solution to their problems 1.18 and 1.20, I could
easily find a solution manual and trade (or provide my completely
set of solutions of ZEROs) for just one kilo of baby green morays.

> With warm academic regards,
> Dr. Doofus

Dr. Bob the Reef Fish.

Jasminegao

Oct 26, 2005, 11:58:16 AM10/26/05
I also would like to have a copy from you or someone.
My email is jasmin...@hotmail.com.
Thanks a lot.
Jasmine

sunflowers

Oct 31, 2005, 2:44:50 AM10/31/05
Hello JIBONAYAN,

Do you still have the complete solution set?
I would appreciate it if you could send me a copy of the solutions.
My email: fyg...@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sunflowers

Message has been deleted

Nick

Nov 20, 2005, 6:04:58 PM11/20/05
I have a solutions manual for all the chapters in casella berger. Its in a pdf format. I can email within 12 hours upon receiving $10 in my paypal account. My email id is code_h...@yahoo.com. That is my paypal account too. Please e-mail me if you have any questions!

James

Nov 21, 2005, 1:45:18 AM11/21/05
Hi

Can you send me the complete solution set? I would greatly appreciate it.

My email is adem...@gmail.com

Message has been deleted

Reef Fish

Nov 23, 2005, 8:29:41 PM11/23/05

Dr. Doofus wrote:
> Dear future statitsicians!
>
> Dr. Doofus is pleased to announce that he just inherited the complete
> set of solutions in MP3 PDF (www) from the Nigebrian Chambers of
> Commerce, with the help of a very influential wealthy representative.
>
> If you would kindly agree to be a designated beneficiary, Dr. Doofus
> will personally morse-code, text, blog, or ipod the solutions to you
> absolutely for FREE!

Dear Dr. Doofus,

You mean I don't even have send you my complete passport
information, together with a bank draft for the amount of15,000 U$D
or the equivalent in British Pounds or Euro $, as a menifestion of
my sincerity and a token of appreciation of your generous offer?

Mahvelous!!

> With warm academic regards,
> Dr.Doofus

I shall reciprocate your warm academic regard with a warmed-over
turkey, after I stuffed the book and complete solution into its
posterior orifice.

-- Dr. Reef Fish Bob.

statsbabe

Nov 27, 2005, 3:52:43 PM11/27/05
I would appreciate it if you would send me the complete solutions to Casella & Berger - I am studying for the qualifiers.

Thanks.

lindsayrenfro at yahoo.com

Message was edited by: LRA

FranktheBunny

Nov 29, 2005, 1:05:20 AM11/29/05
I am interested in the complete solutions, can you send them please. rwch...@ncsu.edu, thanks

vahid

Nov 30, 2005, 5:21:35 AM11/30/05
dear jibonoyan:
iwant solution statistical inference could you please send to this mail vmas...@iooc.co.ir raight away .
thank you very much

Erik Fransen

Dec 5, 2005, 8:10:18 AM12/5/05
Dear Jibonayan,
I'd be very happy to receive the solutions. My mail:
erik.f...@ua.ac.be

João Daniel

Dec 23, 2005, 1:21:43 PM12/23/05
Could anyone PLEASE send me the solutions... joaor...@gmail.com

I woud be very thankful

best regards

João

marco piovesan

Jan 13, 2006, 2:24:20 PM1/13/06
Could you send me the solution manual for Statistical Inference Casella & Berger?
Thanks in advance,
marco
piov...@econ.ucsb.edu

claire ryu

Jan 17, 2006, 7:33:42 PM1/17/06
Hi, Dr. Doofus.
Can you e-mail me the solution for Casella & Berger?
My e-mail is clai...@hotmail.com
I will really appreciate it.
Thanks.

claire ryu

Jan 17, 2006, 7:40:40 PM1/17/06
Hi, JIBONAYAN.
Can you send me the solution for Casella & Berger?
I will really appreciate it. My e-mail is clai...@hotmail.com.
Thanks.
Claire

Randy

Jan 28, 2006, 8:05:35 PM1/28/06
Hi, please i need some problems from casella berger urgently, they are: 1.37, 1.55, 5.2, 5.44, 6.1 and 6.0 (new edition) or if u have the old edition 1.47, 1.62, 5.2, 6.1, 6.9.please it is very urgent, i have to present them on monday

Randy

Jan 28, 2006, 8:08:41 PM1/28/06
Hi, please can u send me the solution manual for casella berger.......i need it urgently, especially problems 1.37, 1.55, 5.2, 5.44, 6.1 and 6.9 (new edition) or if u have the old edition then they are probelems: 1.47, 1.62, 5.2, 6.1, 6.9
My email address is randy...@hotmail.com

Rick

Jan 29, 2006, 4:56:35 PM1/29/06
Could you please send me a copy of the solutions, too?
I would really appreciate it.
I found the textbook very difficult to read, Thank you very much for helping me out!
my email: rickm...@hotmail.com
Rick

-DRaven-

Feb 1, 2006, 10:22:15 PM2/1/06
Hi I'm really interested in the solution manual of that book, how could you send it to me? Send me an e-mail to:
williamb...@hotmail.com

thanks

jolly_cool

Mar 3, 2006, 2:43:59 PM3/3/06
Dear Dr Doofus,

Can you send me a copy of the solution manual of statistical inference book by casella and berger. I will be very grateful to you. My email id is: venky8...@yahoo.com
thanks.

jolly_cool

Mar 3, 2006, 2:49:10 PM3/3/06
Dear Mr Jibonayan,

LauraB

Mar 17, 2006, 2:10:31 PM3/17/06
I would be interested in the solutions set. My email is fdb9...@sneakemail.com
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

jordanbhec...@hotmail.com

Mar 25, 2006, 2:41:45 PM3/25/06
If anyone could please send me the solutions for chapters 9 and 10 for berger and cassella I would be very grateful.

This course is tough.

jordanbhec...@hotmail.com

albul

Mar 28, 2006, 5:26:12 PM3/28/06
Could you please send them to me as well? my e-mail is boris...@gmail.com THANKS!!!!

mo

Apr 17, 2006, 7:36:21 PM4/17/06
I would really appreciate it if you could send me the solution set.

Thanks a bunch.

ceycey

Apr 25, 2006, 3:24:40 PM4/25/06
Dear Jibonayan,

Could you please send me the solution manual of Casella&Berger? Thanks
a lot.

Message has been deleted

ahmetsay

May 1, 2006, 1:50:49 PM5/1/06
Hello Mr. JIBONAYAN, Do you still have the complete solution set? I would appreciate it if you could send me a copy of the solutions. My email: ahme...@gmail.com

emgt

May 21, 2006, 9:55:06 AM5/21/06
Dear Dr. Doofus:

Could you please send me a pdf copy of Solutions - Statistical Inference Casella & Berger? My email is emg...@hotmail.com.

Thank you for your kindness.

Joe

David LeBaron

Aug 1, 2006, 12:35:38 PM8/1/06
Dr. Doofus,
Just like all the others, I too would like a copy of the solutions manual for Casella and Berger. My email is: dnl...@psu.edu
Thanks,
Dave

vignesh

Sep 1, 2006, 5:36:08 PM9/1/06
I am interested in the solutions manual for the Casella & Berger. I would be grateful to you if you could send a copy to my emailID renga...@hotmail.com. I am happy to pay the cost.
Thank you
Vignesh

UTSAHALFPINT

Sep 4, 2006, 10:41:31 PM9/4/06
I'm not sure if you are still actively using this website but I would love a copy of the complete solution set to the book Statistical Inference by Casella and Berger to study for the comprehensive exam. I'd like it as soon as possible. Is there a fee? Please email me at UTSAHa...@hotmail.com I check it everyday. Thanks for your time.

UTSAHalfpint

houlikun

Sep 7, 2006, 2:55:41 PM9/7/06
Hi, I want a copy of the solution manual you mentioned. Could you please send one to sile...@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!

Reef Fish

Sep 7, 2006, 6:36:35 PM9/7/06

houlikun wrote:
> Hi, I want a copy of the solution manual you mentioned. Could you please send one to sile...@gmail.com
>
> Thanks a lot!

Are you that desperate to get the manual to copy answers that
you had to post TWO different posts on the same day?

And your question didn't even indicate to whom you were
addressing your request. Dr. Doofus, Nick, or half a dozen
other posters?

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Rachel

Sep 9, 2006, 6:47:37 PM9/9/06