Active Mantle Plume Found on Mars

26C.Z969

Dec 5, 2022, 9:29:03 PM12/5/22
https://phys.org/news/2022-12-giant-mantle-plume-reveals-mars.html

Giant mantle plume reveals Mars is more active than
previously thought

When the team studied the features of Elysium Planitia,
they found evidence of the same sequence of events on Mars.
The surface has been uplifted by more than a mile, making
it one of the highest regions in Mars' vast northern lowlands.
Analyses of subtle variations in the gravity field indicated
that this uplift is supported from deep within the planet,
consistent with the presence of a mantle plume.

. . .

Interesting ... where there's heat there COULD be life.
Not necessarily though. However it's something that may
be useful if/when we decide to colonize Mars.

No, short of re-directing a lot of large icy asteroids
(or maybe Europa) and crashing them into Mars we're NOT
going to "terraform" the place, but we COULD build large
colonies/cities and industry in choice locations.

IMHO, life proliferates and leaves lasting signs. None
have been found on Mars (unless they're hiding it - but
Chinese probes would have and they'd blab). The exact
sequence of lucky events that make life seems to be a
roll of the dice - maybe a lot of dice.

So ... what shall we do with Mars, and HOW ? We now know
there's a geologically active environment still, the
heart of the planet is not cold. This could mean energy,
chemicals ... we can build on that.