NASA Admin - China May Claim Lunar Real-Estate

26C.Z969

Jan 1, 2023, 5:29:04 PM1/1/23
https://www.foxnews.com/us/nasa-chief-warns-china-could-claim-territory-moon-wins-new-space-race

NASA's top administrator says the U.S. is in a new space race with China
and warned that a Chinese win could result in the country claiming to
"own" vast swaths of the moon.

NASA administrator Bill Nelson, a former astronaut and
Florida senator, warned that it is entirely possible that
China would cordon off the most resource-rich areas of the
lunar surface if they establish a presence there first,
Politico reported Sunday.

"It is a fact: we’re in a space race," he told the outlet.
"And it is true that we better watch out that they don’t
get to a place on the moon under the guise of scientific
research. And it is not beyond the realm of possibility
that they say, ‘Keep out, we’re here, this is our territory.’"

. . .

He's right, they could. China landed a rover on the 'dark
side' a couple of years ago - I was kinda surprised they
didn't have it plant the flag and claim ownership. Nothing
and nobody really to stop them. Xi has authored an
imperialist mindset and claiming parts of, or ALL, the
moon would be consistent. I expect claims on parts of
Mars too. The West is awash in money problems and
political divisions leaving China in a better position
to make lunar claims, establish bases and facilities,
and tangibly defend them.

THE key affair in the near future will be who gets
de-facto control of the moon's south pole. Numerous
entities have, or are about to, send probes and
rovers and such there because large quantities of
subsurface ice exist - key to colonies, military
installations and resource exploitation. It's the
one square of lunar real-estate EVERYBODY wants.

In short, the troubles here - we're bringing
them WITH us to the planets and beyond. No
hippie-dippy Star Trek BS. Big surprise eh ?