Re: China aims to launch nearly 13,000 satellites to 'suppress' ElonMusk's Starlink

1 view

28A.I873

Feb 27, 2023, 9:12:57 PM2/27/23
On 2/27/23 12:15 PM, Siri Cruise wrote:
> In article <kWKdncCFperuRWH-...@giganews.com>,
> "Lee" <cle...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When Nixon asked Khruschov why the
>> USSR was first in space he said "Our
>> Germans are better than your Germans"
>
> In reality the army was ready to go, but Eisenhower didn't want
> to appear to militarise space, so the US was concentrating on a
> civillian program. After Sputnik the navy sent up a ready
> satellite.

Indeed it WAS considerably more complex than who
had the "better Germans" ... US politics and
mil-industrial-complex lobbyists and such ALL
conspired to put the US a bit behind the curve.
WE were funding the "G.I.Bill" and interstate
system ... Russia just let their soldiers rot
and only spiffed up the roads around govt
centers.

And, I think most of all, we just DID NOT BELIEVE
The Russkies could DO anything in space. In short
we made the cardinal sin - we underestimated our
enemy.

Governor Swill

Feb 27, 2023, 11:05:27 PM2/27/23
Sputnik got Kennedy elected. He raised the specter of the Russian space program,
exaggerated their already prodigious abilities with rockets and made Nixon look weak on
defense.

Swill
--
Welcome to reality. Enjoy your visit!