UAE Launches Mars Orbiter, China to Launch Mars Rover - Where are WE ?

Phantom_View

Jul 20, 2020, 9:35:48 PM7/20/20
Israel gave it a shot with its lunar lander. India is in the biz
too and Japan seems to be scaling-up.

Today the UAE launched a Mars orbiter. This week
China is going to launch its Mars rover. All this DURING
the Covid epidemic.

But WE cannot even get the Hubble replacement launched.

Seems like we are falling behind the curve. Upstart countries
are now eager to get things done 'up there'.

Yes, we FINALLY got a couple people into orbit from
the USA, thanks to Musk/SpaceX, but we have yet
to get them back again so we are only halfway through
that story. IMHO, the new lords of the final frontier,
well, they speak Mandarin ....

J. Clarke

Jul 20, 2020, 10:04:48 PM7/20/20
Where are WE? If you mean the United States "we" have been on Mars
since 1975. And Musk/Spacex are looking to land humans on Mars in
this decade.

Phantom_View

Jul 20, 2020, 10:57:59 PM7/20/20
I am not talking about "then", but "NOW". Enthusiasm, and thus
funding, for "space" seems to have hit a low in the USA over
the past decade. Ask a random regular-Joe group what Pluto
looks like or what our rover on Mars is doing sometime - if you
crave pain. We are withdrawing from the universe.

Others are leading ..... and not all have good intentions .......

J. Clarke

Jul 21, 2020, 12:32:55 AM7/21/20
If you consider "me too" missions that imitate what the US did 50
years ago to be "leading", so be it.

China isn't "leading" anything, they're playing catch up.

As for "funding for space", it's not what you spend, it's what you do
with it. SpaceX is looking to be able to launch 100 payloads for the
same amount of money it costs NASA to launch one. So why are we
wasting money on NASA?

But you're going to go on whining about how the sky is falling just
like every other attention-whore out there.

Phantom_View

Jul 21, 2020, 9:32:21 PM7/21/20
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 00:32:53 -0400, J. Clarke
I do not see it that way, more like "accelerating to pass".

>As for "funding for space", it's not what you spend, it's what you do
>with it. SpaceX is looking to be able to launch 100 payloads for the
>same amount of money it costs NASA to launch one. So why are we
>wasting money on NASA?

Scientific expertise. And yes, SpaceX leans on NASA
all the time - it is not really a "private" space company.

>But you're going to go on whining about how the sky is falling just
>like every other attention-whore out there.

I do not like too much attention. Perhaps you are "projecting" ?

I am plenty old enough to remember the ramp-up of the US
space program and everybody was very interested, kept
current. Educational TV was actually educational !!!

But it all faded. The atmosphere is not "anti-science" but
more one of apathy to active avoidance. Space "victories"
just prompt people to switch channels or start talking
sports. We have lost our "eye of the tiger". This is not a
good thing at all.

J. Clarke

Jul 21, 2020, 11:25:01 PM7/21/20
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 21:32:16 -0400, Phantom_View
What are they "accelerating"? They're just building the same old
ungodly expensive throwaway rockets that everybody else on Earth
except SpaceX is building. And so they can happily bankrupt themselves
trying to have a competitive space program while the US reaches the
point where large scale operations become economically viable.

>>As for "funding for space", it's not what you spend, it's what you do
>>with it. SpaceX is looking to be able to launch 100 payloads for the
>>same amount of money it costs NASA to launch one. So why are we
>>wasting money on NASA?
>
> Scientific expertise.

What "scientific expertise"? The expertise to reuse pieces of
obsolete systems to builg more obsolete systems?

> And yes, SpaceX leans on NASA
> all the time - it is not really a "private" space company.

They were in orbit before NASA even was willing to talk to them. Their
engines are their own design, their airframes are their own designs,
their materials selection is very different from anything that NASA
has ever used, and they are doing things that NASA has never even
tried to do.

So where is this "lean"? The only time NASA has been involved in
SpaceX technology has been Crew Dragon and Crew Dragon suffered from
NASA's involvement--it was originally intended to be capable of lunar
landing--NASA made sure that that wouldn't happen.

>>But you're going to go on whining about how the sky is falling just
>>like every other attention-whore out there.
>
> I do not like too much attention. Perhaps you are "projecting" ?

Then why are you here bleating provocative nonsense?

> I am plenty old enough to remember the ramp-up of the US
> space program and everybody was very interested, kept
> current. Educational TV was actually educational !!!

I remember it to, only I'm mature enough to understand that that was a
stunt which was never going to go anywhere, and that NASA never
actually had any interest in making space accessible.

> But it all faded.

Yeah, because NASA kept the costs high to make profits for their
contractors and never tried to make anything practical.

It's time to pull the plug on NASA.

> The atmosphere is not "anti-science" but
> more one of apathy to active avoidance.

The atmosphere is "space is too expensive to be practical for much".

> Space "victories"
> just prompt people to switch channels or start talking
> sports. We have lost our "eye of the tiger". This is not a
> good thing at all.

Your precious "space victories" are just same shit different day. To
your average man in the street, once you've seen one Mars Rover you've
seen them all.

Phantom_View

Jul 22, 2020, 9:10:05 PM7/22/20
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 23:24:58 -0400, J. Clarke
I think I see the problem here ... and it is not NASA ......

Bye.

J. Clarke

Jul 22, 2020, 9:53:37 PM7/22/20
On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 21:09:59 -0400, Phantom_View
Yes, the problem is that you can't sell your case so the only tool
left in your kit is to run away.

Byker

Jul 23, 2020, 4:00:32 PM7/23/20
"Phantom_View" wrote in message

> Ask a random regular-Joe group what Pluto
> looks like or what our rover on Mars is doing sometime - if you
> crave pain. We are withdrawing from the universe.
>
> Others are leading ..... and not all have good intentions .......

China seems intent on claiming the entire solar system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAmMvk5ktdk