Columbia - Final Voyage

7 views
Skip to first unread message

thedore...@hotmail.com

unread,
Jul 27, 2006, 8:31:55 PM7/27/06
to
With all of this talk about Columbia I'm intrigued by the book
"Columbia - Final Voyage".

I've seen a bunch of Phil Chien's stories online and always enjoyed his
insightful questions in the press conferences, but hadn't heard that he
had written a book.

I checked out his website (http://www.sts107.info) and it looks
interesting, certainly some excellent reviews and endorsements.

So what do people who have actually read the book think? Does the book
have information which hasn't been presented elsewhere or is it just
regurgitating old information? Does it offer any more information about
the astronauts?

How good is the CD-ROM? I'm now in England and I can order the book
from Amazon.co.uk but how can I get the CD? Is the CD worth it?

Thoughts?


Ted Collins

Boggs SpaceBooks

unread,
Jul 28, 2006, 8:22:55 PM7/28/06
to
It's an excellent read and provides thorough coverage of the crew, mission
and investigation. The CD includes plenty of material which could not be
included in the book.

We're biased of course, but we think you would be pleased. We have author
signed copies at list price.

Donald & Tamara Boggs
Boggs SpaceBooks (SM)
672 E. 500 N.
Anderson, IN 46012 U.S.A.
765-649-3211 voice or fax
http://www.boggsspace.com
donal...@boggsspace.com
"Our Mission is Your Satisfaction"
UACC Registered Dealer RD265

<thedore...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1154046715.7...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Brad Guth

unread,
Jul 31, 2006, 1:12:36 PM7/31/06
to
I believe it was also the final ABL voyage, and the end of Phill
Condit's career. It's almost as though Phill Condit had to take the
fall for something other, no matters what.
-
Brad Guth

Brad Guth

unread,
Jul 31, 2006, 1:17:48 PM7/31/06
to
I believe it was also the final DoD/Raytheon/TRW/Boeing (aka Phantom
Works) ABL voyage, and the end of Phil Condit's career. It's almost as
though Philip Condit had to take the fall for having done something

alex

unread,
Aug 4, 2006, 4:30:39 PM8/4/06
to

thedore...@hotmail.com wrote:
> With all of this talk about Columbia I'm intrigued by the book
> "Columbia - Final Voyage".
>
> I've seen a bunch of Phil Chien's stories online and always enjoyed his
> insightful questions in the press conferences, but hadn't heard that he
> had written a book.
>
> I checked out his website (http://www.sts107.info) and it looks
> interesting, certainly some excellent reviews and endorsements.
>
> So what do people who have actually read the book think? Does the book
> have information which hasn't been presented elsewhere or is it just
> regurgitating old information? Does it offer any more information about
> the astronauts?

It's FANTASTIC! I purchased it based on his reputation and was
throughly impressed.

The book offers some amazing insights into the astronauts. He really
did know them and it shows - this is not just the canned NASA bios or
folks who knew the astronauts talking about them, this is up close
personal information about them. I cried when I read some of the more
touching stories about some of the crewmembers - there's lots of new
information here which I never saw anywhere and I was collecting
information about the crew left and right after the accident.
Absolutely amazing!

> How good is the CD-ROM? I'm now in England and I can order the book
> from Amazon.co.uk but how can I get the CD? Is the CD worth it?

I actually like the CD better than the book. In the book you read about
Phil joking with the astronauts, on the CD you actually hear the sound
clip. At first it was a little creepy to hear the voices of the
Columbia astronauts 'speaking from the dead' so to speak, but as I
listened to what they said it was fascinating - the astronauts talking
about their passion for their work, their lives, and even talking about
the more embarassing things which had happened to them in the past.

No idea how you can get the CD in England though, I was lucky enough to
get my copy directly from Phil Chien when I met him at a book signing
in Florida.

In any case get the book - I highly recommend it.


Alex Harris

mant...@gmail.com

unread,
Aug 9, 2006, 5:05:32 PM8/9/06
to
Wow, that would be a great set of questions WERE THEY NOT SHILL
QUESTIONS COMING FROM THE AUTHOR HIMSELF ON HIS OWN IP ADDRESS. Get a
life, Ted.. or rather, Phil. Very pathetic, hope your falsified career
is blown over these exposes on Wired.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/media/0,71562-0.html?tw=rss.index

mant...@gmail.com

unread,
Aug 9, 2006, 5:07:16 PM8/9/06
to
Hi Alex..err Phil, having fun replying to your own faked alias hotmail
accounts? I'll bet you are. Hope you equally have fun being the world's
Internet laughingstock today.
Message has been deleted

Dale

unread,
Aug 10, 2006, 3:17:42 AM8/10/06
to
On 9 Aug 2006 14:05:32 -0700, mant...@gmail.com wrote:

>Wow, that would be a great set of questions WERE THEY NOT SHILL
>QUESTIONS COMING FROM THE AUTHOR HIMSELF ON HIS OWN IP ADDRESS. Get a
>life, Ted.. or rather, Phil. Very pathetic, hope your falsified career
>is blown over these exposes on Wired.
>
>http://www.wired.com/news/culture/media/0,71562-0.html?tw=rss.index
>
>thedore...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> With all of this talk about Columbia I'm intrigued by the book
>> "Columbia - Final Voyage".

<snip>

You seemed to pick up on this story first. Please tell me that you
aren't Phil too...

Maybe we are all Phil Chien? Nah... :)

Dale

BTW, I'm afraid your use of caps caused me to skip over your
post. Most of the time, that indicates a nut to me. Sorry.

mike...@comic.com

unread,
Aug 12, 2006, 4:37:55 PM8/12/06
to


Wow! I like the book too and the CD -- NOT! Don't even have a copy of
it. Wow! You're a real piece of work, aren't you Phil, or Ted, or Rob
(Robert Stevens) or Alex. Who are you tomorrow? I think you're done
now, pal. I also read Wired magazine. That's how I found about you.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/media/0,71562-0.html?tw=wn_index_19

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages