Launch views

Herb Schaltegger

Sep 9, 2006, 12:20:14 PM9/9/06
Is it me or is the Playalinda Beach cam the coolest of the ground-based
shots? All those great close-ups of the SSMEs and SRBs, shock waves
going in and out of the camera field of view, condensation, etc. Just
the way a rocket launch is supposed to look. :-)

Didn't see any obvious debris-shedding on replays from the ET Cam, but
NASA TV hasn't shown any SRB Cam footage yet. They did fly this time,
correct?

--
Herb Schaltegger
"You can run on for a long time . . . sooner or later, God'll cut you

Jim Oberg

Sep 9, 2006, 1:54:13 PM9/9/06
On the sequence just before the 'flag shot' (from the press site)
I thought I saw a bright white spot moving fast away from the
'top' of the ET (the opposite side from the Orbiter) -- but have
not had a chance to view the tapes again. It seemed to be
about 40 seconds into the flight, well before SRB jettison.

"Herb Schaltegger" <herb.sch...@NOSPAMgmail.com.INVALID> wrote in
message news:0001HW.C12853EE...@enews.newsguy.com...

Brian Gaff

Sep 9, 2006, 2:16:01 PM9/9/06
I understood that the weather in the recovery area was not that good, and
they may wait to recover the solids. It was a day or so last time, and
remember the still camera in the well is still to be downloaded.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff - bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
in the display name may be lost.

"Herb Schaltegger" <herb.sch...@NOSPAMgmail.com.INVALID> wrote in
message news:0001HW.C12853EE...@enews.newsguy.com...

Herb Schaltegger

Sep 9, 2006, 2:24:17 PM9/9/06
On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 12:54:13 -0500, Jim Oberg wrote
(in article <9dDMg.17076$dl....@tornado.texas.rr.com>):

> On the sequence just before the 'flag shot' (from the press site) I thought I

> saw a bright white spot moving fast away from the 'top' of the ET (the
> opposite side from the Orbiter) -- but have not had a chance to view the
> tapes again. It seemed to be about 40 seconds into the flight, well before
> SRB jettison.

I didn't TiVo the launch replays today so I can't go back and watch
again. The post-launch press conference only mentioned one debris
incident at around 4:00 - 4:30 (I forget the exact time mentioned) that
did not appear to have impacted the orbiter. The person answering that
particular question had not reviewed video coverage himself yet; he was
relying on the initial reports of others at the time. Wayne Hale is
supposed to have more info at the 4:00 p.m. briefing.

Jim Oberg

Sep 9, 2006, 3:19:26 PM9/9/06
I've got the incident verified by several other viewers,
it was about MET 48 sec, right at max Q -- and
video may be posted at www.nasaspaceflight.com shortly.

"Herb Schaltegger" <herb.sch...@NOSPAMgmail.com.INVALID> wrote in

message news:0001HW.C1287101...@enews.newsguy.com...

Nicholas Fitzpatrick

Sep 9, 2006, 3:26:00 PM9/9/06

Jim Oberg <james...@houston.rr.com> wrote:
>On the sequence just before the 'flag shot' (from the press site)
>I thought I saw a bright white spot moving fast away from the
>'top' of the ET (the opposite side from the Orbiter) -- but have
>not had a chance to view the tapes again. It seemed to be
>about 40 seconds into the flight, well before SRB jettison.

I think that's what I noted in my earlier post. And another seemed
to show something black moving away fast - they showed it earlier, and
then again in the reply right after the press conference.

Nick

Jim Oberg

Sep 9, 2006, 4:02:15 PM9/9/06

"Jim Oberg" <james...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

> I've got the incident verified by several other viewers,
> it was about MET 48 sec, right at max Q -- and
> video may be posted at www.nasaspaceflight.com shortly.

WMV file (232 k)) is available here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/get-attachment.asp?attachmentid=12039

The dot appears as a white line (smeared by the motion) starting right above
the flame from the left SRB (the one in 'front' in this view) and moving out
to the left (as the camera tracks the ascending shuttle).

Nicholas Fitzpatrick

Sep 9, 2006, 4:12:56 PM9/9/06
>The dot appears as a white line (smeared by the motion) starting right above
>the flame from the left SRB (the one in 'front' in this view) and moving out
>to the left (as the camera tracks the ascending shuttle).

Yeah, that's the one. What about the dark object flying away on the
other shot - perhaps it's the same?

Looks harmless enough ...

Nick