California Startup Aims to Build Space Hotel With Artificial Gravity by 2025

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 29, 2022, 2:03:53 AMApr 29
"Orbital Assembly Corporation announced plans to develop a space
business park, complete with artificial gravity, that’s designed to
accommodate 28 guests in five modules built around a rotating
gravity ring.

The California startup is aiming to make its first Pioneer-class
space station operational by 2025, in what is an ambitious and
likely unrealistic timeline. That said, Orbital Assembly is intent on
making this the first commercial, hybrid space station that can be
leveraged for both research and leisure.

The Pioneer station is one of two designs for commercial space
stations currently being developed by the company, the first
being the Voyager Station announced back in 2021. However,
Pioneer is meant to precede Voyager, a larger undertaking that will
be built with the aim of it being a sort of luxury space hotel
capable of accommodating 400 guests at a time."

See:

https://gizmodo.com/orbital-assembly-space-hotel-artificial-gravity-1848855049

Sylvia Else

Apr 29, 2022, 8:31:10 AMApr 29
The design shown in the illustration doesn't appear remotely plausible.

Sylvia.

Greg (Strider) Moore

May 14, 2022, 4:56:24 PMMay 14
"Sylvia Else" wrote in message news:jd244c...@mid.individual.net...
Agreed. The only thing this will succeed in is separating money from foolish
investors.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Response-Lessons-Learned-Field/dp/1484221834/

Alain Fournier

May 14, 2022, 9:42:58 PMMay 14
On May/14/2022 at 16:56, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote :
> "Sylvia Else"  wrote in message news:jd244c...@mid.individual.net...
>>
>> On 29-Apr-22 4:03 pm, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> "Orbital Assembly Corporation announced plans to develop a space
>>> business park, complete with artificial gravity, that’s designed to
>>> accommodate 28 guests in five modules built around a rotating
>>> gravity ring.
>>>
>>> The California startup is aiming to make its first Pioneer-class
>>> space station operational by 2025, in what is an ambitious and
>>> likely unrealistic timeline. That said, Orbital Assembly is intent on
>>> making this the first commercial, hybrid space station that can be
>>> leveraged for both research and leisure.
>>>
>>> The Pioneer station is one of two designs for commercial space
>>> stations currently being developed by the company, the first
>>> being the Voyager Station announced back in 2021. However,
>>> Pioneer is meant to precede Voyager, a larger undertaking that will
>>> be built with the aim of it being a sort of luxury space hotel
>>> capable of accommodating 400 guests at a time."
>>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>> https://gizmodo.com/orbital-assembly-space-hotel-artificial-gravity-1848855049
>>>

>> The design shown in the illustration doesn't appear remotely plausible.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>>

> Agreed. The only thing this will succeed in is separating money from
> foolish investors.

Imagine if you add a PNN propulsion module to this hotel. For launch
from Earth, I propose putting the whole thing, space hotel and PNN in
that Spinlaunch orbital accelerator. The possibilities are endless.

Alain Fournier

Sylvia Else

May 14, 2022, 10:00:17 PMMay 14
Why mess about? Why not imagine a Star-Trek style warp drive? People
could go up to the station by Star-Trek transporter as well - none of
that faffing around with launches into Earth orbit.

Sylvia.

Alain Fournier

May 19, 2022, 8:16:35 PMMay 19
On May/14/2022 at 22:00, Sylvia Else wrote :

> Why mess about? Why not imagine a Star-Trek style warp drive? People
> could go up to the station by Star-Trek transporter as well - none of
> that faffing around with launches into Earth orbit.

On a more serious note. SpaceX and probably soon Blue Origin are
developing interesting rocket capacity. Assuming that SpaceX and Blue
Origin do succeed in building fully reusable cheap rockets, I think it
is more on the space amenities side that innovation is needed.
Personally, I am less interested in space hotels than in Martian
infrastructures. I would love to see some companies developing
greenhouses, habitats, spacesuits... for a Mars colony. But I see few
developments on that side.

Even if I don't think the Space Hotel project that spurred this thread
is viable, it is that kind of thing that is needed to develop space.

Alain Fournier

JF Mezei

May 20, 2022, 1:08:10 AMMay 20
On 2022-05-19 20:16, Alain Fournier wrote:

> Even if I don't think the Space Hotel project that spurred this thread
> is viable, it is that kind of thing that is needed to develop space.

Consider the station for 2001. People from different places go up there
and await the weekly flight to the moon (or vice versa).

Having a hotel/gas station in LEO would allow constant flow of refueling
Starships to fill up huge gas tanks, as well as bring food, O2 etc. So
when there is a flight to Mars, the starship can stop there to get
refueled with a single docking, as well as get other supplies including
passengers. And this station would serve Moon as destination as well as
itself being destination.

The station itself can have the refueling system/pumps and mechanical
arms to reach for the refueling outlet in ships (which could be same as
used at the pad to fuel ship) instead of every ship needing to
duplicate this weight.

Orbital inclination would need to be chosen carefully. But at one
point, it may become more efficient to have a proper gas station in LEO
instead of constantly sending small jerry cans of fuel to refuel ships.

Alain Fournier

May 22, 2022, 8:22:04 PMMay 22
In my opinion, such a refuelling station makes sense only if it is an
intermediary step towards a station where fuel is made. If you bring a
comet to Earth orbit and then install equipment to do electrolysis and
liquefaction, then you have something that is superior to bringing fuel
from Earth.

If you are going to bring fuel to low Earth orbit from the ground, you
are probably better to bring only the amount you need for your
particular mission. The next mission then won't need to go somewhere a
little different to its optimal location in order to use the small
leftovers from the previous mission. If longer term, you are going to
make fuel in orbit, than it might make sense to start with a simpler gas
station as you suggested, just to figure out what works and what needs
to be done differently. And also to use a part of the infrastructure
before the whole fuel manufacturing thing is complete.

Alain Fournier