The only hing of the Starship...

Doctor Who

Nov 21, 2023, 7:36:25 AM11/21/23
that always work well is the autodestruction system :-)

and lallo

Alain Fournier

Nov 21, 2023, 8:48:54 AM11/21/23
On 2023-11-21 7:36 a.m., Doctor Who wrote:
> that always work well is the autodestruction system :-)
>
> and lallo

I think that the autodestruct system did not work well on the first
flight. They improved it and it worked flawlessly on the second flight.

Alain Fournier

Doctor Who

Nov 21, 2023, 9:12:57 AM11/21/23
bhwahahahahahahahahahaha

yes, the only part that works well :-)

Dean Markley

Nov 21, 2023, 10:47:45 AM11/21/23
How's YOUR starship working? Get it off the napkin yet?

Doctor Who

Nov 21, 2023, 11:14:06 AM11/21/23
On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 07:47:44 -0800 (PST), Dean Markley
<dama...@gmail.com> wrote:
it is being engineered at smooth pace, we don't incur in your
spasmodic urgency....

Niklas Holsti

Nov 21, 2023, 3:39:21 PM11/21/23
For the Superheavy booster, yes - or so it seems from the big bang
observed. But it seems that the Starship's payload bay and nose-cone
survived the second-stage FTS activation, although separated from the
tank and engine sections. Video was captured from the Florida Keys:
https://youtu.be/56r_twDliOc?t=847. Whether this is an FTS failure
depends on what SpaceX wanted to happen. At least propulsion was
terminated, even if a big chunk of the ship was left flying.

Niklas Holsti

Nov 21, 2023, 4:02:15 PM11/21/23
On 2023-11-21 22:39, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> On 2023-11-21 15:48, Alain Fournier wrote:
>> On 2023-11-21 7:36 a.m., Doctor Who wrote:
>>> that always work well is the autodestruction system :-)
>>>
>>> and lallo
>>
>> I think that the autodestruct system did not work well on the first
>> flight. They improved it and it worked flawlessly on the second flight.
>

> For the Superheavy booster, yes - or so it seems from the big bang
> observed. But it seems that the Starship's payload bay and nose-cone
> survived the second-stage FTS activation, although separated from the
> tank and engine sections. Video was captured from the Florida Keys:
> https://youtu.be/56r_twDliOc?t=847.

Or the original, longer and better: https://youtu.be/CTcSMh4VYow.

Sylvia Else

Nov 21, 2023, 4:55:39 PM11/21/23
On 21-Nov-23 11:36 pm, Doctor Who wrote:
> that always work well is the autodestruction system :-)
>
> and lallo

The launch pad was undamaged.

Hot staging worked OK.

There appears to be an issue related to the turn back of the booster
that will have to be examined. Perhaps an interaction between the
angular velocity and the fuel flow.

Starship itself lost some tiles, and that will have to be addressed.

The oxygen flow in Starship increased towards the end of the burn.
Perhaps a leak.

For the second test flight of the biggest rocket ever, and the world's
first fully reusable design, I'd say SpaceX can be pretty happy with the
result.

How's your own first test flight coming along?

Sylvia.

Alain Fournier

Nov 21, 2023, 7:14:14 PM11/21/23
On 2023-11-21 4:55 p.m., Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 21-Nov-23 11:36 pm, Doctor Who wrote:
>> that always work well is the autodestruction system :-)
>>
>> and lallo
>
> The launch pad was undamaged.
>
> Hot staging worked OK.

I'm not sure about that. Both the booster and the second stage failed
shortly after staging. The second stage had been tested and seemed to
work well when used without staging. It is quite possible that the hot
staging caused the future failures. Of course, this is only speculation.
During flight, the staging did seem to go well.

Alain Fournier

Sylvia Else

Nov 21, 2023, 9:22:58 PM11/21/23
Scott Manley pointed out that the booster engines restarted after the
staging, but then progressively failed.

Starship flew on fine until its fuel was nearly exhausted, when the
oxygen flow increased, while the methane flow didn't.

Sylvia.

Peter Stickney

Nov 22, 2023, 3:24:42 AM11/22/23
In other words, he lost his crayons. Have you tried looking under the
sofa?

--
Peter Stickney
Java Man knew nothing about coffee

Peter Stickney

Nov 22, 2023, 3:29:55 AM11/22/23
Hot staging is hardly new - it's been a feature of every Titan since the
1950s. Of course, with the Titan, they weren't looking to fly the booster
back.
If you're looking for a way to ensure that the propellants in the upper
stage are properly settled, and you need it simple, it's a fair solution.

Doctor Who

Nov 22, 2023, 4:23:00 AM11/22/23
can you explain your phrase in simple words? is it humour?