The Passing Of Alan McDonald

David Spain

Mar 9, 2021, 8:18:32 PM3/9/21
When it is more important to leave something unsigned...

> https://www.npr.org/2021/03/07/974534021/remembering-allan-mcdonald-he-refused-to-approve-challenger-launch-exposed-cover

Alan McDonald R.I.P.

Ad Astra,
Dave

Snidely

Mar 9, 2021, 11:47:29 PM3/9/21
After serious thinking David Spain wrote :
> When it is more important to leave something unsigned...
>
>> https://www.npr.org/2021/03/07/974534021/remembering-allan-mcdonald-he-refused-to-approve-challenger-launch-exposed-cover
>
> Alan McDonald R.I.P.

Our thanks and salutes for his service.

/dps

--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are

Jeff Findley

Mar 10, 2021, 7:02:04 AM3/10/21
In article <87o8frl...@eternal-september.org>, nos...@127.0.0.1
says...

> When it is more important to leave something unsigned...
>
> > https://www.npr.org/2021/03/07/974534021/remembering-allan-mcdonald-he-refused-to-approve-challenger-launch-exposed-cover
>
> Alan McDonald R.I.P.

He had a bumpy ride due to opposing the Challenger launch, and speaking
out to the investigating committee, but was later put in charge of the
SRB joint redesign.

Sad that NASA didn't quite learned the bigger lesson of normalizing the
deviance leading to the Columbia disaster.

Jeff

David Spain

Mar 10, 2021, 11:59:18 AM3/10/21
On 3/10/2021 7:02 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

> Sad that NASA didn't quite learned the bigger lesson of normalizing the
> deviance leading to the Columbia disaster.
>
> Jeff

Sad but true. As had been pointed out nearly 20 years earlier by
Feynman, humans may normalize deviance, but mother nature cannot be fooled.

Alan MacDonald, Roger Boisjoly and Arnie Thompson we thank you for your
service.

Dave