WingNutDaily columnist asks 'Could Noah's Ark really hold 2 of every kind?'

Jason Spaceman

May 1, 2004, 1:55:59 AM5/1/04
WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
is:

Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
"kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
the Ark.

Read it at
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38290

J. Spaceman

Meteorite Debris

May 1, 2004, 3:31:05 AM5/1/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 05:55:59 +0000 (UTC) the ET form known as Jason
Spaceman<notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> sent a radio signal across
the vast expanse of deep space -._.--._.--._.--._.--._.--._.

Of course species radiation from one genera couple requires a break
with cretinist doctrine. Namely that different species can not evolve
from a common ancestor. Not only that but also in record time. A flood
of absurdities.

--
epicurus1*at*optusnet*dot*com*dot*au
apatriot #1, atheist #1417,

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived." - Isaac Asimov

Fingerprint for PGP Keys at key server or go to
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pk1956/
RSA - 71 BA 7C 45 B5 4A 5F EA 72 DB EC 7F 7F A8 70 99
DSS - 9217 21A9 9C3F EB0B E302 AD0E 69C5 0F06 402E 0943

torch

May 1, 2004, 5:42:36 AM5/1/04

"Jason Spaceman" <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message
This article also reveals an astonishing fact

"The Ark was 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. That is
approximately 1.5 times as long as a football field three stories high. The
volume capacity of the Ark would be a significant 1.5 million cubic feet."

Now - 450 * 75 * 45 = 1,518,750 - so the ark was completely cuboid in
shape?. Its astonishing that not only did the ark far exceed the design
limits for ships built in wood it was totally fucking square!!! - That
Kelly Hollowell is some scientist

For people with more more than 2 brain cells to rub together:

http://home.houston.rr.com/bybayouu/Noahs_ark.html

shim.gif

VoiceOfReason

May 1, 2004, 8:19:09 AM5/1/04
Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message news:<ske6905o7gb541kt5...@4ax.com>...
> WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> is:

> Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> the Ark.

16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed
2,000 animals per day. And do it for 53 weeks.

So much for literalism ...

Boikat

May 1, 2004, 8:38:58 AM5/1/04

"VoiceOfReason" <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Not to mention cleaning up the crap and soaking up the urine. And remember,
according to the book, there was only one opening on yea olde arke: a one
by one cubit window on the top, somewhere.

> So much for literalism ...

YEC *read* the Bible literally, but they litterally do not think.

Boikat

John Harshman

May 1, 2004, 8:54:11 AM5/1/04

Jason Spaceman wrote:

> WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> is:

> Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> the Ark.

The key word here is "conservative". That's a very conservative
estimate. It's a John Ashcroft estimate. And it's demonstrably wrong.
There are many more than 8000 genera of insects alone. Or didn't they
bother with bugs on the ark?

Dana Tweedy

May 1, 2004, 9:51:59 AM5/1/04

"John Harshman" <jharshman....@pacbell.net> wrote in message

The Creationist response would be something like: "Oh, who cares about bugs,
we only care about animals". As long as you get some elephants and
giraffes in there, it's allright.

DJT

catshark

May 1, 2004, 10:23:29 AM5/1/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:38:58 +0000 (UTC), "Boikat"
<boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:

>"VoiceOfReason" <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message
>> > WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
>> > is:

>> > Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
>> > ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
>> > "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
>> > animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
>> > multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
>> > the Ark.
>> > -----------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> 16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed
>> 2,000 animals per day. And do it for 53 weeks.

And note that this Ph.D. also blithely sails over the fact that it is only
animal genera that are included.

But I do like the reference to "researchers" with its link to AiG . . .

>Not to mention cleaning up the crap and soaking up the urine. And remember,
>according to the book, there was only one opening on yea olde arke: a one
>by one cubit window on the top, somewhere.

From the AiG site:

It is doubtful whether the humans had to clean the cages every
morning. Possibly they had sloped floors or slatted cages, where
the manure could fall away from the animals and be flushed away
(plenty of water around!) or destroyed by vermicomposting
(composting by worms) which would also provide earthworms as a
food source. Very deep bedding can sometimes last for a year
without needing a change. Absorbent material (e.g. sawdust,
softwood wood shavings and especially peat moss) would reduce
the moisture content and hence the odour.

So, what we have is a combination of two very busy worms (or 14, if worms
are "clean"), kitty litter and a hose used to wash down the muck to . . .
well, they don't say *where* . . . maybe the Bible just left out the design
for those nuclear powered bilge pumps . . .

>> So much for literalism ...
>>

>YEC *read* the Bible literally, but they litterally do not think.

They are literally trying their damnest not to.

>Boikat

---------------
J. Pieret
---------------

A preacher* on the dangers of an open mind:

"Close the windows, lock the door,
and throw away the key when you leave".

- from Bobby D. Bryant -

* Name withheld to protect the not-so-innocent.

Klaus Hellnick

May 1, 2004, 10:28:42 AM5/1/04

"Dana Tweedy" <redd...@Nospam.com> wrote in message

I thought a LITERAL reading meant 7 pairs of all birds and "clean" animals,
plus a pair of everything that crawled upon the earth. And if kinds only
reproduce their own kind, how did the alleged 8000 kinds become the many
millions of species we have today?
Klaus

EjP

May 1, 2004, 10:30:43 AM5/1/04

What's even funnier is when these guys try to claim that this
was, in fact, an ingenious design for a ship
http://www.theoutlaws.com/unexplained10.htm
too good in fact, to have been designed without the help of
God!

I even saw a TV special once where they built a little
model that looked exactly like a shoe box and put it in
a wave tank, which they claimed proved it could have
weathered any storm. Of course they never considered loading
and their scaling arguments were flawed, to say the least.

-E

Boikat

May 1, 2004, 10:37:14 AM5/1/04

"catshark" <cats...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Even with sawdust, straw, or very deep bedding, AIG pseudo-scientists aren't
using their heads. I think they should spend about a week closed up in a
mini ark with a couple of horses, cattle, sheep, whatever, with a
corispondingly smaller "window", and see how long they can last before being
overcome by asphyxiation.

> >> So much for literalism ...
> >>

> >YEC *read* the Bible literally, but they litterally do not think.
>
> They are literally trying their damnest not to.

It's an art.

Boikat

EjP

May 1, 2004, 10:48:50 AM5/1/04

Yes, they got a little behind one day and unfortunately, the
lions ate the unicorns.

-E

Kate

May 1, 2004, 10:55:39 AM5/1/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:38:58 +0000 (UTC), "Boikat"
<boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:

What about the plants. Nobody ever addresses the plants. How do all
the plants on earth survive for 53 days underwater? How do freshwater
plants survive 53 days in salt water?

Geesh!

Christopher A. Lee

May 1, 2004, 10:57:51 AM5/1/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 14:30:43 +0000 (UTC), EjP <nos...@die.spammers.die>
wrote:

>I even saw a TV special once where they built a little
>model that looked exactly like a shoe box and put it in
>a wave tank, which they claimed proved it could have
>weathered any storm. Of course they never considered loading
>and their scaling arguments were flawed, to say the least.

It was on CBS in 1993. They carved it from solid and it bobbed up and
down in a wave tank, with scale waves several orders of magnitude
bigger than their model. No seat belts for the crew and animals
though. No joints. Nothing

The program was a farce.

It started off as a practical joke by a skeptic who was annoyed with
the creationists for misrepresenting themselves and then heavily
editing what he had said, in a previous program.

He got together with an actor to produce "a piece of the ark" which
was actually modern wood pickled and baked to appear old. Details of
an expedition with people with names like Allis Bulshitian, Asholian
reached Morris at the ICR, they took it seriously and produced this
"documntary".

Elroy Willis

May 1, 2004, 11:39:56 AM5/1/04
Jason Spaceman wrote in alt.atheism

How can a grown adult actually believe such a tall tale?

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound

Klaus Hellnick

May 1, 2004, 12:27:53 PM5/1/04

"Kate " <cob...@newscene.com> wrote in message

Um, that's 53 WEEKs. The flood allegedly lasted about a year.
Klaus

scooter the mighty

May 1, 2004, 1:11:04 PM5/1/04

"catshark" <cats...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:38:58 +0000 (UTC), "Boikat"
> <boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:
>

> >"VoiceOfReason" <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message

> >> 16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed
> >> 2,000 animals per day. And do it for 53 weeks.
>
> And note that this Ph.D. also blithely sails over the fact that it is only
> animal genera that are included.

Presumably these animals were pretty sick, given the number of viruses that
survived.

scooter the mighty

May 1, 2004, 1:18:14 PM5/1/04

"Klaus Hellnick" <khellni...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

It seems like a pretty easy task to genetically determine if an animal
species had such a huge genetic bottleneck a few thousand years ago.
Especially if you're essentially rejecting the idea of mutations. There
should be no more than 4 sequences for any gene in any "unclean" animal,
right?

AC

May 1, 2004, 1:31:04 PM5/1/04

It was explained to me that they survived on floating logs, turf, etc.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

Kate

May 1, 2004, 2:14:45 PM5/1/04

Saltwater kills plants. Why do you think the beaches are bare?

Kate

May 1, 2004, 2:31:37 PM5/1/04

My husband went to check out www.creationism.com to see how they
explained some of this and found that National Center for Science
Education, Inc. --NCSE -- a nonprofit, tax-exempt membership
organization working to defend the teaching of evolution against
sectarian attack has taken it over.

Pretty funny.

Mark K. Bilbo

May 1, 2004, 3:47:59 PM5/1/04
On Sat, 01 May 2004 05:55:59 +0000 in episode
<ske6905o7gb541kt5...@4ax.com> we saw our hero Jason
Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>:

Next, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

--
Mark K. Bilbo - a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism,
because it is a merger of State and corporate power."
- Mussolini

Mark K. Bilbo

May 1, 2004, 3:55:12 PM5/1/04
On Sat, 01 May 2004 15:39:56 +0000 in episode
<pah790t21210n05op...@4ax.com> we saw our hero Elroy Willis
<e...@airmail.net>:

Actually, those that are neo-cons at least *do *not.

The Straussian ideal is that the masses will be indoctrinated with
religion because it maintains "social order" and they're not ready to
handle the truth. The *elite, on the other hand, will know that evolution
is real, Darwin was right, and there's no evidence for any gods. *They
don't believe and have no interest in believing. Belief is for the
peasants.

Interesting thing about it is that Strauss is one of those morons that
takes the realities of evolution, a naturalistic universe, the utter lack
of evidence for a "god" and comes to a *nihilistic position. The elite is
constrained by no moral code, no ethics, nothing but their own whims.
Everybody *else is to be saddled with a belief system the elite considers
absurd as it keeps the riff raff under control.

It's not even the old (IIRC) Hobbesian idea of enlightened despots ruling
the peasants "for their own good." It's just straight up power lust. It's
Machiavelli on drugs. It's also the most twisted world view I have *ever
encountered. Even the *Nazis believed they were doing "right" (they were
demented slime but they believed in *something).

I firmly believe most of the right wing that's yapping about "god" are,
actually, NON-believers. They intend you to believe. Not them...

Dr Dave W

May 1, 2004, 4:08:22 PM5/1/04
"Klaus Hellnick" <khellni...@houston.rr.com> wrote in

That's easy, they evo<ahem> mutated<cough>... GODDIDIT!

--
Dave W a.a.#1967

Ethan D. Rogati

May 1, 2004, 4:28:06 PM5/1/04

"Kate " <cob...@newscene.com> wrote in message

Please be kidding. I'm no good at detecting sarcasm or satire on Usenet.
Assuming you're serious, please explain seaweed and kelp. Am I mistaken in
my understanding that they're plants? Please note that I'm asking this
totally independent of the "floating turf" concept.

Colin Day

May 1, 2004, 5:13:04 PM5/1/04

Ethan D. Rogati wrote:
> "Kate " <cob...@newscene.com> wrote in message

>>Saltwater kills plants. Why do you think the beaches are bare?
>

> Please be kidding. I'm no good at detecting sarcasm or satire on Usenet.
> Assuming you're serious, please explain seaweed and kelp. Am I mistaken in
> my understanding that they're plants? Please note that I'm asking this
> totally independent of the "floating turf" concept.

I believe that the person to whom you are responding meant
that salt water kills fresh water plants.

Colin Day aa #1500

Kate

May 1, 2004, 7:40:37 PM5/1/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:13:04 +0000 (UTC), Colin Day <cd...@sc.rr.com>
wrote:

Well, land plants.

Kate

May 1, 2004, 7:44:55 PM5/1/04

I was talking about plants drowning in flood waters. Obviously I
meant land plants - you don't see seaweek growing on beaches, do you?.
You can't float most land plants in saltwater for 53 weeks and expect
them to live.

tra...@askme.net

May 1, 2004, 8:39:42 PM5/1/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 14:48:50 +0000 (UTC), EjP <nos...@die.spammers.die>
wrote:

That's not how the song explained it. . .

German

Frank Reichenbacher

May 1, 2004, 8:42:42 PM5/1/04

"VoiceOfReason" <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message
> > WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> > is:

> > Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> > ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> > "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> > animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> > multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> > the Ark.
>
> 16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed
> 2,000 animals per day. And do it for 53 weeks.

Actually no. She's conveniently forgotten about the clean and unclean
animals:

Gen 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the
male
and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his
female.

Gen 7:3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female;
keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Does anyone else know the full list of clean animals or where to find it in
the Bible?

Frank

Colin Day

May 1, 2004, 9:46:20 PM5/1/04

Frank Reichenbacher wrote:

> Actually no. She's conveniently forgotten about the clean and unclean
> animals:
>
> Gen 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the
> male
> and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his
> female.
>
> Gen 7:3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female;
> keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
>

> Does anyone else know the full list of clean animals or where to find it in
> the Bible?

Leviticus, Chapter 11

Leviticus 11:20: The various winged insects that walk on all fours are
loathsome for you.

Colin Day aa #1500

Mike Painter

May 1, 2004, 9:56:49 PM5/1/04

"Kate " <cob...@newscene.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> >Please be kidding. I'm no good at detecting sarcasm or satire on Usenet.
> >Assuming you're serious, please explain seaweed and kelp. Am I mistaken
in
> >my understanding that they're plants? Please note that I'm asking this
> >totally independent of the "floating turf" concept.
<snip>

Kelp is a plant and needs fairly shallow water to grow.
Most of it grows just past the intertidal zone.
But there was no intertidal zone so all those thousands of sea creatures
that need this air/water mixture to survive no longer exist because it
didn't exist for at least a year.

Mike Painter

May 1, 2004, 9:58:41 PM5/1/04

<tra...@askme.net> wrote in message

Green alligators and longed neck geese,
some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
..
..
But the loveliest of all was the unicorns.

So god killed them.

xtmprs...@erols.com

May 1, 2004, 10:19:13 PM5/1/04

Jason Spaceman wrote:

> WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> is:

> Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> the Ark.

Which means noah and co would have to feed an animal
every 2.7 seconds, 24 hours a day for the entire year+ trip.

> J. Spaceman

xtmprs...@erols.com

May 1, 2004, 10:20:59 PM5/1/04

catshark wrote:

> On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:38:58 +0000 (UTC), "Boikat"
> <boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:
>

> >"VoiceOfReason" <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message

> >> 16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed

> >> 2,000 animals per day. And do it for 53 weeks.
>

> And note that this Ph.D. also blithely sails over the fact that it is only
> animal genera that are included.
>

> But I do like the reference to "researchers" with its link to AiG . . .
>

> >Not to mention cleaning up the crap and soaking up the urine. And remember,
> >according to the book, there was only one opening on yea olde arke: a one
> >by one cubit window on the top, somewhere.
>

> From the AiG site:
>
> It is doubtful whether the humans had to clean the cages every
> morning. Possibly they had sloped floors or slatted cages, where
> the manure could fall away from the animals and be flushed away
> (plenty of water around!) or destroyed by vermicomposting
> (composting by worms) which would also provide earthworms as a
> food source. Very deep bedding can sometimes last for a year
> without needing a change. Absorbent material (e.g. sawdust,
> softwood wood shavings and especially peat moss) would reduce
> the moisture content and hence the odour.
>
> So, what we have is a combination of two very busy worms (or 14, if worms
> are "clean"), kitty litter and a hose used to wash down the muck to . . .
> well, they don't say *where* . . . maybe the Bible just left out the design
> for those nuclear powered bilge pumps . . .

They cut a hole in the bottom of the ark and the water just
drained away, taking the poo with it.

> >> So much for literalism ...
> >>

> >YEC *read* the Bible literally, but they litterally do not think.
>
> They are literally trying their damnest not to.
>

> >Boikat
>
> ---------------
> J. Pieret
> ---------------
>
> A preacher* on the dangers of an open mind:
>
> "Close the windows, lock the door,
> and throw away the key when you leave".
>
> - from Bobby D. Bryant -
>
> * Name withheld to protect the not-so-innocent.

xtmprs...@erols.com

May 1, 2004, 10:22:18 PM5/1/04

Boikat wrote:

> "VoiceOfReason" <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message
> > > WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> > > is:

> > > Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> > > ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> > > "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> > > animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> > > multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> > > the Ark.
> >
> > 16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed
> > 2,000 animals per day. And do it for 53 weeks.
>

> Not to mention cleaning up the crap and soaking up the urine. And remember,
> according to the book, there was only one opening on yea olde arke: a one
> by one cubit window on the top, somewhere.

This is why the dinosaurs went extinct. They couldn't fit through
the hole and starved to death inside the ark after the flood.

> > So much for literalism ...
> >

> YEC *read* the Bible literally, but they litterally do not think.
>

> Boikat

xtmprs...@erols.com

May 1, 2004, 10:26:24 PM5/1/04

Dana Tweedy wrote:

> "John Harshman" <jharshman....@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >

> > Jason Spaceman wrote:
> >

> > > WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> > > is:

> > > Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> > > ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> > > "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> > > animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> > > multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> > > the Ark.
> >

> > The key word here is "conservative". That's a very conservative
> > estimate. It's a John Ashcroft estimate. And it's demonstrably wrong.
> > There are many more than 8000 genera of insects alone. Or didn't they
> > bother with bugs on the ark?
>
> The Creationist response would be something like: "Oh, who cares about bugs,
> we only care about animals". As long as you get some elephants and
> giraffes in there, it's allright.
>
> DJT

The giraffes and elephants will evolve I mean change into bugs
afterward.

xtmprs...@erols.com

May 1, 2004, 10:31:42 PM5/1/04

I disagree. They do some stupid things that only make sense if they
actually believe in their religion.

Noctiluca

May 1, 2004, 10:57:54 PM5/1/04
"Ethan D. Rogati" <edr...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<FPTkc.133585$M3.4...@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...

I think AC already knew that, hence the "floating" flotsam.

Beaches are not devoid of plants because of saltwater, they are "bare"
because the habitat is not stable enough for the establishment of
salt-tolerant macrophytes and macroalgae.

> Please be kidding. I'm no good at detecting sarcasm or satire on Usenet.
> Assuming you're serious, please explain seaweed and kelp. Am I mistaken in
> my understanding that they're plants? Please note that I'm asking this
> totally independent of the "floating turf" concept.

Kelps and seaweeds are not plants generally. There are some few, like
Phylospadix and Ulva (Chlorophytes) here in SoCal, that are plants but
kelps for the most part are algae, members of Phaeophyta, Rhodophyta.

Saltwater would kill most plants but some halophytes are adapted to
extremely brackish conditions. However, not even these plants could
survive the Flood. Unless plants were included on the ark, the only
other recourse for believers in the Deluge is to suggest that all
terrestrial plants evolved from phytoplankton. And really, really
fast, too.

(Understand, I'm not suggesting this is beyond the capacity for
self-delusion of True Believers)

robert

John Wilkins

May 1, 2004, 11:28:49 PM5/1/04
EjP <nos...@die.spammers.die> wrote:

> VoiceOfReason wrote:

> > Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:
> >
> >>WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> >>is:

> >>Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> >>ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> >>"kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> >>animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> >>multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> >>the Ark.
> >>-----------------------------------------------------------
> >

> > 16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed
> > 2,000 animals per day.
>

> Yes, they got a little behind one day and unfortunately, the
> lions ate the unicorns.

And the dinosaurs, megatheriums, terror birds...

--
John Wilkins
john...@wilkins.id.au http://www.wilkins.id.au

John Wilkins

May 2, 2004, 12:01:50 AM5/2/04
Mike Painter <mdotp...@att.net> wrote:

That must have been the live version...

Mike Painter

May 2, 2004, 12:53:24 AM5/2/04

<snip>

> They cut a hole in the bottom of the ark and the water just
> drained away, taking the poo with it.

I have a sit on top kayak and it has several holes in it to allow water to
drain from various places.
I had a woman comment on them once, wondering why water didn't come up
through the holes.

I was so tempted to tell her they were one way holes.

Mike Painter

May 2, 2004, 1:02:22 AM5/2/04

"Noctiluca" <seeingis...@VolcanoMail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> Kelps and seaweeds are not plants generally. There are some few, like
> Phylospadix and Ulva (Chlorophytes) here in SoCal, that are plants but
> kelps for the most part are algae, members of Phaeophyta, Rhodophyta.
>
> Saltwater would kill most plants but some halophytes are adapted to
> extremely brackish conditions. However, not even these plants could
> survive the Flood. Unless plants were included on the ark, the only
> other recourse for believers in the Deluge is to suggest that all
> terrestrial plants evolved from phytoplankton. And really, really
> fast, too.

So it would be phytoplankton > mushrooms > celery > then redwoods?
Maybe peanuts should be in there since they have an exo-skeleton

Are cucumbers and watermelons the same kind?

> (Understand, I'm not suggesting this is beyond the capacity for
> self-delusion of True Believers)

It is so much easier being a True Christian. My opinions are as valid as
anybody else's.

Matt Giwer

May 2, 2004, 1:55:27 AM5/2/04
torch wrote:
> "Jason Spaceman" <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message
>
>>WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
>>is:

>>Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
>>ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
>>"kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
>>animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
>>multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
>>the Ark.
>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>

> This article also reveals an astonishing fact
>
> "The Ark was 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. That is
> approximately 1.5 times as long as a football field three stories high. The
> volume capacity of the Ark would be a significant 1.5 million cubic feet."
>
> Now - 450 * 75 * 45 = 1,518,750 - so the ark was completely cuboid in
> shape?. Its astonishing that not only did the ark far exceed the design
> limits for ships built in wood it was totally fucking square!!! - That
> Kelly Hollowell is some scientist

You will notice it is barn shaped.

The whole thing started during a real flood where a farmer lost his
barn. The inflated size and number of animals was part of an insurance
scam. He was found guilty and fed to wild lawyers.

--
The more Bush convinces us there were warnings of
the nature of 9/11 the harder it is to explain

Jos Flachs

May 2, 2004, 5:20:42 AM5/2/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:38:58 +0000 (UTC), "Boikat"
<boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:

>"VoiceOfReason" <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message
>> > WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
>> > is:

>> > Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
>> > ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
>> > "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
>> > animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
>> > multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
>> > the Ark.
>> > -----------------------------------------------------------
>>

>> 16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed

>> 2,000 animals per day. And do it for 53 weeks.
>
>Not to mention cleaning up the crap and soaking up the urine. And remember,
>according to the book, there was only one opening on yea olde arke: a one
>by one cubit window on the top, somewhere.

Yeah, that was the only way at least for the elephants to sniff some
fresh air.

Jos Flachs

May 2, 2004, 5:20:43 AM5/2/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:54:11 +0000 (UTC), John Harshman
<jharshman....@pacbell.net> wrote:

>The key word here is "conservative". That's a very conservative
>estimate. It's a John Ashcroft estimate. And it's demonstrably wrong.
>There are many more than 8000 genera of insects alone. Or didn't they
>bother with bugs on the ark?

Noah should have! He should at least kept the damn mosquitos away.

What about infectious diseases?

Mr. Noah: everybody ready?
Noah bunch: yeah, pop!
Mr. Noah: mum, you got cholera? Junior, sure you carry AIDS?
Noah bunch: yeah, pop!
Mr. Noah: excellent folks, I'm infected with Ebola, so let's sail!

Jos Flachs

May 2, 2004, 5:20:58 AM5/2/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 14:55:39 +0000 (UTC), cob...@newscene.com (Kate )
wrote:

>What about the plants. Nobody ever addresses the plants. How do all
>the plants on earth survive for 53 days underwater? How do freshwater
>plants survive 53 days in salt water?

Not quite so Kate. Plenty of people do mention the plants, when this
subject comes up again. Or the fresh water fish. Not to mention the
salt water fish, and marine mammals. It hasn't happened yet in this
thread, that's all.

LawsonE

May 2, 2004, 5:26:56 AM5/2/04

"Jos Flachs" <'wcruise'@ksc15.th.com> wrote in message

But not the unicorns. We ALL know what happened to the poor unicorns...

Elroy Willis

May 2, 2004, 7:24:37 AM5/2/04
LawsonE <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in alt.atheism

> Jos Flachs <'wcruise'@ksc15.th.com> wrote in message

>> cob...@newscene.com (Kate ) wrote:

>>> What about the plants. Nobody ever addresses the plants. How do all
>>> the plants on earth survive for 53 days underwater? How do freshwater
>>> plants survive 53 days in salt water?

I thought it was 53 weeks, not 53 days, eh?

>> Not quite so Kate. Plenty of people do mention the plants, when this
>> subject comes up again. Or the fresh water fish. Not to mention the
>> salt water fish, and marine mammals. It hasn't happened yet in this
>> thread, that's all.

> But not the unicorns. We ALL know what happened to the poor unicorns...

I wonder how Noah managed to capture a pair of Bigfoots, since
modern man can't manage to do it?

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound
http://web2.airmail.net/~elo/news

Elroy Willis

May 2, 2004, 7:34:33 AM5/2/04
Jos Flachs <'wcruise'@ksc15.th.com> wrote in alt.atheism

> Boikat <boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:
>> VoiceOfReason <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> 16,000 animals and 8 people. Hmmm. Each person would have to feed

>>> 2,000 animals per day. And do it for 53 weeks.

>> Not to mention cleaning up the crap and soaking up the urine. And remember,
>> according to the book, there was only one opening on yea olde arke: a one
>> by one cubit window on the top, somewhere.

> Yeah, that was the only way at least for the elephants to sniff some
> fresh air.

It was the elephants that kept the ark afloat, by serving as
Flintstonian bilge pumps!

Mark K. Bilbo

May 2, 2004, 8:46:34 AM5/2/04
On Sun, 02 May 2004 02:31:42 +0000 in episode
<40945FC9...@erols.com> we saw our hero xtmprs...@erols.com:

Except that their *stated goal is you are to believe while the elite knows
better. They haven't been all that coy about this...

Noctiluca

May 2, 2004, 9:51:59 AM5/2/04
seeingis...@VolcanoMail.com (Noctiluca) wrote in message news:<14069514.04050...@posting.google.com>...
> Phyllospadix

Better correct this before someone else does. Phyllospadix is actually
not a Chlorophyte, it is an angiosperm that has adapted to an aquatic
existence. Don't know what (or if) I was thinking.

Noctiluca

May 2, 2004, 10:04:14 AM5/2/04
"Mike Painter" <mdotp...@att.net> wrote in message news:<Sl%kc.9837$Ut1.2...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

> "Noctiluca" <seeingis...@VolcanoMail.com> wrote in message
> > > > >

> <snip>
> > Kelps and seaweeds are not plants generally. There are some few, like
> > Phylospadix and Ulva (Chlorophytes) here in SoCal, that are plants but
> > kelps for the most part are algae, members of Phaeophyta, Rhodophyta.
> >
> > Saltwater would kill most plants but some halophytes are adapted to
> > extremely brackish conditions. However, not even these plants could
> > survive the Flood. Unless plants were included on the ark, the only
> > other recourse for believers in the Deluge is to suggest that all
> > terrestrial plants evolved from phytoplankton. And really, really
> > fast, too.
>
> So it would be phytoplankton > mushrooms > celery > then redwoods?

"One of these things is not like the other...(whistle)" I think even
creationists would lift the fungus out of there and replace it with,
oh, I don't know, maybe a fern.

> Maybe peanuts should be in there since they have an exo-skeleton
>
> Are cucumbers and watermelons the same kind?

No way, watermelons are much tastier.

> > (Understand, I'm not suggesting this is beyond the capacity for
> > self-delusion of True Believers)
>
> It is so much easier being a True Christian. My opinions are as valid as
> anybody else's.

Too true.

"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always
agree with them." - George Bush (1924 - )

robert

Klaus Hellnick

May 2, 2004, 10:08:40 AM5/2/04

"Mike Painter" <mdotp...@att.net> wrote in message

Well, a SOT boat is not a real kayak, by definition, though there are some
similarities. I am saving up for a nice Folbot Kodiak EXP. I only have one
of the larger Advanced Elements Airframe kayaks right now. It is not as long
or streamlined as I'd like, but it is easily transported on my motorcycle
and really fun in the ocean.
Klaus

EjP

May 2, 2004, 10:08:52 AM5/2/04
Christopher A. Lee wrote:

> On Sat, 1 May 2004 14:30:43 +0000 (UTC), EjP <nos...@die.spammers.die>
> wrote:
>

>>I even saw a TV special once where they built a little
>>model that looked exactly like a shoe box and put it in
>>a wave tank, which they claimed proved it could have
>>weathered any storm. Of course they never considered loading
>>and their scaling arguments were flawed, to say the least.
>

> It was on CBS in 1993. They carved it from solid and it bobbed up and
> down in a wave tank, with scale waves several orders of magnitude
> bigger than their model. No seat belts for the crew and animals
> though. No joints. Nothing
>
> The program was a farce.
>
> It started off as a practical joke by a skeptic who was annoyed with
> the creationists for misrepresenting themselves and then heavily
> editing what he had said, in a previous program.
>
> He got together with an actor to produce "a piece of the ark" which
> was actually modern wood pickled and baked to appear old. Details of
> an expedition with people with names like Allis Bulshitian, Asholian
> reached Morris at the ICR, they took it seriously and produced this
> "documntary".

The problem with parody and satire is that it assumes a certain
level of intelligence on the part of the audience. It can
backfire when you're dealing with very gullible people.
Remember that Onion article about Harry Potter and satanism,
which was taken seriously by a number of Christian groups:
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/potter.htm

-E

Klaus Hellnick

May 2, 2004, 10:12:15 AM5/2/04

"Elroy Willis" <e...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> Jos Flachs <'wcruise'@ksc15.th.com> wrote in alt.atheism
>
> > Boikat <boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:

> >> Not to mention cleaning up the crap and soaking up the urine. And
remember,
> >> according to the book, there was only one opening on yea olde arke: a
one
> >> by one cubit window on the top, somewhere.
>
> > Yeah, that was the only way at least for the elephants to sniff some
> > fresh air.
>
> It was the elephants that kept the ark afloat, by serving as
> Flintstonian bilge pumps!

Only small mammoths would have been suited for that role.
Klaus

Elroy Willis

May 2, 2004, 10:34:26 AM5/2/04
Klaus Hellnick <khellni...@houston.rr.com> wrote in alt.atheism

> Elroy Willis <e...@airmail.net> wrote in message

>> Jos Flachs <'wcruise'@ksc15.th.com> wrote in alt.atheism

>>> Yeah, that was the only way at least for the elephants to sniff some
>>> fresh air.

>> It was the elephants that kept the ark afloat, by serving as
>> Flintstonian bilge pumps!

> Only small mammoths would have been suited for that role.

How small? Baby wooly mammoths?

I figure a pair of hummingbirds could have been trained to hover
around Noah's face and all the people on board, like little fans
which kept the stench away from their noses. Not too far-fetched if
you're willing to pretend the story is really true, for some bizarre
reason.

Frank Reichenbacher

May 2, 2004, 12:32:57 PM5/2/04
For anyone with any doubt as to the nature of the fetid slime which is Matt
Giwer, please visit:

http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/dead-baby.phtml

Frank

Marc Satterwhite

May 2, 2004, 1:18:30 PM5/2/04
Jos Flachs wrote:

A line somebody came up with a few years ago in a similar thread:

"Dad, why do I have to have BOTH the tapeworms?"

Best, Marc

Boikat

May 2, 2004, 3:05:32 PM5/2/04

> "Elroy Willis" <e...@airmail.net> wrote in message
> > Jos Flachs <'wcruise'@ksc15.th.com> wrote in alt.atheism

> remember,
> one
> >
> > > Yeah, that was the only way at least for the elephants to sniff some
> > > fresh air.
> >
> > It was the elephants that kept the ark afloat, by serving as
> > Flintstonian bilge pumps!
>
> Only small mammoths would have been suited for that role.

I guess that explains whay they aren't around any more....

Boikat

Elroy Willis

May 2, 2004, 4:47:14 PM5/2/04
Boikat <boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote in alt.atheism

> Klaus Hellnick <khellni...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

>> Elroy Willis <e...@airmail.net> wrote in message

>>> Jos Flachs <'wcruise'@ksc15.th.com> wrote in alt.atheism

>>> It was the elephants that kept the ark afloat, by serving as
>>> Flintstonian bilge pumps!

>> Only small mammoths would have been suited for that role.

> I guess that explains whay they aren't around any more....

The tigers and lions and other carnivores needed something to eat...
Oh well... C'est la vie!

xtmprs...@erols.com

May 2, 2004, 5:06:37 PM5/2/04

Mike Painter wrote:

> "Noctiluca" <seeingis...@VolcanoMail.com> wrote in message
> > > > >

> <snip>
> > Kelps and seaweeds are not plants generally. There are some few, like
> > Phylospadix and Ulva (Chlorophytes) here in SoCal, that are plants but
> > kelps for the most part are algae, members of Phaeophyta, Rhodophyta.
> >
> > Saltwater would kill most plants but some halophytes are adapted to
> > extremely brackish conditions. However, not even these plants could
> > survive the Flood. Unless plants were included on the ark, the only
> > other recourse for believers in the Deluge is to suggest that all
> > terrestrial plants evolved from phytoplankton. And really, really
> > fast, too.
>
> So it would be phytoplankton > mushrooms > celery > then redwoods?
> Maybe peanuts should be in there since they have an exo-skeleton
>
> Are cucumbers and watermelons the same kind?

Are land cucumbers and sea cucumbers the same kind?

Elroy Willis

May 2, 2004, 6:06:03 PM5/2/04
Mark K. Bilbo <y...@hoo.com-amikchi> wrote in alt.atheism

> I firmly believe most of the right wing that's yapping about "god" are,
> actually, NON-believers. They intend you to believe. Not them...

This includes the rabid foaming-at-the-mouth Baptists and Protestants?

Mark K. Bilbo

May 2, 2004, 7:28:39 PM5/2/04
On Sun, 02 May 2004 22:06:03 +0000 in episode
<cbsa90psk7c0ltnnb...@4ax.com> we saw our hero Elroy Willis
<e...@airmail.net>:

> Mark K. Bilbo <y...@hoo.com-amikchi> wrote in alt.atheism

>> I firmly believe most of the right wing that's yapping about "god" are,
>> actually, NON-believers. They intend you to believe. Not them...
>
> This includes the rabid foaming-at-the-mouth Baptists and Protestants?

Actually, I even have doubts about Falwell...

to...@sbcglobal.net

May 2, 2004, 8:50:15 PM5/2/04

Nope. They'd have to do it for 14 months.

And . . . there were not just 2 of each animal, there were either 2 or 7 of
each, depending on whether they were "clean" or "unclean" (something about
cloven hooves and chewing cuds).

Keep in mind that if you convert the Ark's dimensions as given in Genesis to
acres, you end up with about 2.5 acres. Picture, if you will, trying to
fit an entire zoo onto two and a half acres of space, plus enough food and
water to sustain them for 14 months, and you'll get an idea of how ludicrous
the whole fiction really is.

And that's all it is . . . just a piece of fiction . . .

-Tock

AC

May 2, 2004, 10:27:47 PM5/2/04
On Sun, 2 May 2004 05:55:27 +0000 (UTC),
Matt Giwer <jul...@tampabay.rr.REMOVE.com> wrote:

<snip>

Don't you have a dark, dank rock to go crawl under?

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

Rodjk

May 3, 2004, 2:07:12 AM5/3/04
"Mark K. Bilbo" <y...@hoo.com-amikchi> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.05.01....@hoo.com-amikchi>...

> On Sat, 01 May 2004 15:39:56 +0000 in episode
> <pah790t21210n05op...@4ax.com> we saw our hero Elroy Willis
> <e...@airmail.net>:
>
> > Jason Spaceman wrote in alt.atheism
> >
> >> WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> >> is:
>
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------ Biblical
> >> scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the ability to
> >> produce offspring, then the genus represents the original "kind."
> >> Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000 animal
> >> genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So multiplying
> >> each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board the Ark.
>
> >> Read it at
> >> http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38290
> >
> > How can a grown adult actually believe such a tall tale?
>
> Actually, those that are neo-cons at least *do *not.
>
> The Straussian ideal is that the masses will be indoctrinated with
> religion because it maintains "social order" and they're not ready to
> handle the truth. The *elite, on the other hand, will know that evolution
> is real, Darwin was right, and there's no evidence for any gods. *They
> don't believe and have no interest in believing. Belief is for the
> peasants.
>
> Interesting thing about it is that Strauss is one of those morons that
> takes the realities of evolution, a naturalistic universe, the utter lack
> of evidence for a "god" and comes to a *nihilistic position. The elite is
> constrained by no moral code, no ethics, nothing but their own whims.
> Everybody *else is to be saddled with a belief system the elite considers
> absurd as it keeps the riff raff under control.
>
> It's not even the old (IIRC) Hobbesian idea of enlightened despots ruling
> the peasants "for their own good." It's just straight up power lust. It's
> Machiavelli on drugs. It's also the most twisted world view I have *ever
> encountered. Even the *Nazis believed they were doing "right" (they were
> demented slime but they believed in *something).

Walter Sobchak: Nihilists! Fuck me. I mean, say what you like about
the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.
"The Big Lebowski"

Sorry, that just came to mind...
Rodjk #613

tim gueguen

May 3, 2004, 2:31:25 AM5/3/04

"EjP" <nos...@hackers.are.bad> wrote in message

> The problem with parody and satire is that it assumes a certain
> level of intelligence on the part of the audience. It can
> backfire when you're dealing with very gullible people.
> Remember that Onion article about Harry Potter and satanism,
> which was taken seriously by a number of Christian groups:
> http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/potter.htm

The Onion also suckered an anti gay group in Ontario, who used part of an
Onion article in an anti gay pamphlet. http://tinyurl.com/2f7hg

tim gueguen 101867

Meteorite Debris

May 3, 2004, 4:52:00 AM5/3/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 14:55:39 +0000 (UTC) the ET form known as
Kate<cob...@newscene.com> sent a radio signal across the vast expanse
of deep space -._.--._.--._.--._.--._.--._.

> What about the plants. Nobody ever addresses the plants. How do all
> the plants on earth survive for 53 days underwater? How do freshwater
> plants survive 53 days in salt water?
>

> Geesh!

There's this god thing you see and makes possible all sorts of
impossible things. Whatever makes sense is because of the god and
whatever does not makes sense is because of the god. Easy isn't it?

--
epicurus1*at*optusnet*dot*com*dot*au
apatriot #1, atheist #1417,
Chief EAC prophet -
Evil Atheist Conspiracy
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pk1956/

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived." - Isaac Asimov

Fingerprint for PGP Keys at key server or go to
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pk1956/
RSA - 71 BA 7C 45 B5 4A 5F EA 72 DB EC 7F 7F A8 70 99
DSS - 9217 21A9 9C3F EB0B E302 AD0E 69C5 0F06 402E 0943

Meteorite Debris

May 3, 2004, 4:58:40 AM5/3/04
On Sat, 1 May 2004 18:14:45 +0000 (UTC) the ET form known as
Kate<cob...@newscene.com> sent a radio signal across the vast expanse
of deep space -._.--._.--._.--._.--._.--._.

> Saltwater kills plants. Why do you think the beaches are bare?

No no no. One day the beach and the sea became intimate and this
annoyed God. So he punished the beach by making it barren forever. Why
did God not punish the sea? Because the sea was male and the beach was
female. The sea was pretty pissed all the same and to this day he
regularly throws a tantrum by bashing away at headlands and sea
cliffs. :-)

Meteorite Debris

May 3, 2004, 5:06:43 AM5/3/04
On Sun, 2 May 2004 09:26:56 +0000 (UTC) the ET form known as
LawsonE<nos...@nospam.com> sent a radio signal across the vast expanse
of deep space -._.--._.--._.--._.--._.--._.

One of the unicorns said to the other "remember what we agreed, don't
ask and don't tell".

Matt Giwer

May 3, 2004, 6:13:13 AM5/3/04

Thank you. And for those who might think I am wrong, look at the
watermelon hit with a rifle bullet.

Keep in mind the whackos in Heebron are mindless religious fanatics
who stop at nothing to promote their brainfarts.

--
It is a total waste of time to try to convince the world Jews
are not responsible for Israel until you can get Israel to

Matt Giwer

May 3, 2004, 6:13:33 AM5/3/04
AC wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2004 05:55:27 +0000 (UTC),
> Matt Giwer <jul...@tampabay.rr.REMOVE.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Don't you have a dark, dank rock to go crawl under?

You wingnutters are all alike.

--
The more Bush convinces us there were warnings of
the nature of 9/11 the harder it is to explain
the absense of fighters chasing the planes.
-- The Iron Webmaster, 3124

VoiceOfReason

May 3, 2004, 6:51:22 AM5/3/04
tim gueguen <tgue...@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<_Gllc.334140$Pk3.50082@pd7tw1no>...

Loved it! "Load pistol; aim at foot; get a good sign picture and ..."

MarkA

May 3, 2004, 7:45:37 AM5/3/04
On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:31:37 +0000, Kate wrote:

> On Sat, 1 May 2004 05:55:59 +0000 (UTC), Jason Spaceman
> <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>>WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind' is:
>>
>>------------------------------------------------------------ Biblical
>>scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the ability to
>>produce offspring, then the genus represents the original "kind."
>>Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000 animal genera,
>>and that includes some which are now extinct. So multiplying each genus
>>by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board the Ark.
>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>Read it at
>>http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38290
>>

> My husband went to check out www.creationism.com to see how they explained
> some of this and found that National Center for Science Education, Inc.
> --NCSE -- a nonprofit, tax-exempt membership organization working to
> defend the teaching of evolution against sectarian attack has taken it
> over.
>
> Pretty funny.

Bravo!

--
MarkA
(still caught in the maze of twisty little passages, all different)

Elroy Willis

May 3, 2004, 11:03:43 AM5/3/04
tim gueguen <tgue...@shaw.ca> wrote in alt.atheism

> EjP <nos...@hackers.are.bad> wrote in message

>> The problem with parody and satire is that it assumes a certain

>> level of intelligence on the part of the audience. It can
>> backfire when you're dealing with very gullible people.
>> Remember that Onion article about Harry Potter and satanism,
>> which was taken seriously by a number of Christian groups:
>> http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/potter.htm

From the above:
"If The Onion's parody has demonstrated anything, it's that we should
be worrying about adults not being able to distinguish between fiction
and reality. The kids themselves seem to have a pretty good grasp of
it."

Well said. I guess as long as it's the supposed son of God doing
the magic, it's holy or okay, otherwise, it's outright Satanism...

Frank Reichenbacher

May 3, 2004, 12:43:58 PM5/3/04

"Matt Giwer" <jul...@tampabay.rr.REMOVE.com> wrote in message

> Frank Reichenbacher wrote:
> > For anyone with any doubt as to the nature of the fetid slime which is
Matt
> > Giwer, please visit:
> >
> > http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/dead-baby.phtml
>
> Thank you. And for those who might think I am wrong, look at the
> watermelon hit with a rifle bullet.
>
> Keep in mind the whackos in Heebron are mindless religious fanatics
> who stop at nothing to promote their brainfarts.

How did you learn to type and lick Nazi boots at the same time?

Frank

rich hammett

May 3, 2004, 1:39:05 PM5/3/04
In talk.origins Christopher A. Lee <ca...@optonline.net> sanoi, hitaasti kuin hämähäkki:

> On Sat, 1 May 2004 14:30:43 +0000 (UTC), EjP <nos...@die.spammers.die>
> wrote:

>>I even saw a TV special once where they built a little
>>model that looked exactly like a shoe box and put it in
>>a wave tank, which they claimed proved it could have
>>weathered any storm. Of course they never considered loading
>>and their scaling arguments were flawed, to say the least.

> It was on CBS in 1993. They carved it from solid and it bobbed up and
> down in a wave tank, with scale waves several orders of magnitude
> bigger than their model. No seat belts for the crew and animals
> though. No joints. Nothing

I bet the joints would have helped the stressed-out caretakers
("Dude, did you feed the, um, DUDE! when you stand in front of
Noah, it looks like you're one dude with TWO HEADS!"), but what
were the seatbelts for?

rich

--
-to reply, it's hot not warm
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Daniel Harper

May 3, 2004, 1:45:11 PM5/3/04
On Sun, 02 May 2004 11:24:37 +0000, Elroy Willis wrote:

> LawsonE <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in alt.atheism

>> Jos Flachs <'wcruise'@ksc15.th.com> wrote in message

> I thought it was 53 weeks, not 53 days, eh?

>>> Not quite so Kate. Plenty of people do mention the plants, when this
>>> subject comes up again. Or the fresh water fish. Not to mention the
>>> salt water fish, and marine mammals. It hasn't happened yet in this
>>> thread, that's all.
>
>> But not the unicorns. We ALL know what happened to the poor unicorns...
>

> I wonder how Noah managed to capture a pair of Bigfoots, since modern man
> can't manage to do it?

The Bigfeet evolved from the Hamite populations post-Flood. Don't you know
anything about history?

--
In the Beginning, was the Command Line...

--Daniel Harper

(change terra to earth for email)

AC

May 3, 2004, 1:59:00 PM5/3/04
On Mon, 3 May 2004 10:13:13 +0000 (UTC),
Matt Giwer <jul...@tampabay.rr.REMOVE.com> wrote:
> Frank Reichenbacher wrote:
>> For anyone with any doubt as to the nature of the fetid slime which is Matt
>> Giwer, please visit:
>>
>> http://www.giwersworld.org/israel/dead-baby.phtml
>
> Thank you. And for those who might think I am wrong, look at the
> watermelon hit with a rifle bullet.
>
> Keep in mind the whackos in Heebron are mindless religious fanatics
> who stop at nothing to promote their brainfarts.

Ug. It responded. I knew it even before I opened the thread. The stench
of it was wafting from my monitor.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

AC

May 3, 2004, 2:00:12 PM5/3/04
On Mon, 3 May 2004 10:13:33 +0000 (UTC),
Matt Giwer <jul...@tampabay.rr.REMOVE.com> wrote:
> AC wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 May 2004 05:55:27 +0000 (UTC),
>> Matt Giwer <jul...@tampabay.rr.REMOVE.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Don't you have a dark, dank rock to go crawl under?
>
> You wingnutters are all alike.

Thanks, Herr Giwer. Coming from you that's a real compliment.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

Hank

May 3, 2004, 4:13:20 PM5/3/04
xtmprs...@erols.com wrote:

> catshark wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:38:58 +0000 (UTC), "Boikat"

> > <boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:
> >

> > >"VoiceOfReason" <papa_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > And note that this Ph.D. also blithely sails over the fact that it is only
> > animal genera that are included.
> >
> > But I do like the reference to "researchers" with its link to AiG . . .

> > >Not to mention cleaning up the crap and soaking up the urine. And remember,
> > >according to the book, there was only one opening on yea olde arke: a one
> > >by one cubit window on the top, somewhere.
> >

> > From the AiG site:
> >
> > It is doubtful whether the humans had to clean the cages every
> > morning. Possibly they had sloped floors or slatted cages, where
> > the manure could fall away from the animals and be flushed away
> > (plenty of water around!) or destroyed by vermicomposting
> > (composting by worms) which would also provide earthworms as a
> > food source. Very deep bedding can sometimes last for a year
> > without needing a change. Absorbent material (e.g. sawdust,
> > softwood wood shavings and especially peat moss) would reduce
> > the moisture content and hence the odour.
> >
> > So, what we have is a combination of two very busy worms (or 14, if worms
> > are "clean"), kitty litter and a hose used to wash down the muck to . . .
> > well, they don't say *where* . . . maybe the Bible just left out the design
> > for those nuclear powered bilge pumps . . .
> >

> They cut a hole in the bottom of the ark and the water just
> drained away, taking the poo with it.

Who cares about manure when you're SINKING LIKE A BRICK!

--
Assimilate a pitiful little species like you? I think not! - Q of Borg

Dictymold

May 3, 2004, 10:32:17 PM5/3/04
xtmprs...@erols.com wrote in message news:<40945CC9...@erols.com>...

> Jason Spaceman wrote:
> >
> > WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> > is:

> > Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> > ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> > "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> > animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> > multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> > the Ark.
> >
> Which means noah and co would have to feed an animal
> every 2.7 seconds, 24 hours a day for the entire year+ trip.> > J. Spaceman

It would be great to hear from someone in the Transportation business
about how long it would take for 8 people to place 8000 cages inside
the Ark. Of course, to make things simple, we could assume that the
animals walked willingly up to the side of the Ark and got into their
respective cages all by themselves :)

Oh, and for those wondering about the plants....what do you think all
that manure is good for? Nice compost for healthy plants!!!!!

scooter the mighty

May 4, 2004, 10:19:59 AM5/4/04

"Dictymold" <dict...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Manure doesn't become compost instantaneously, and someone would still have
to shovel it on the plants, and water the plants and bring the plants on
board the ship...

xtmprs...@erols.com

May 4, 2004, 10:16:03 AM5/4/04

How long would it take 8 people to place a cage with 2 elephants
inside the ark? I assume noah didn't have a really big forklift.

EjP

May 6, 2004, 12:52:02 PM5/6/04
Colin Day wrote:

> Frank Reichenbacher wrote:
>

>>Actually no. She's conveniently forgotten about the clean and unclean
>>animals:
>>
>> Gen 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the
>>male
>>and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his
>>female.
>>
>> Gen 7:3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female;
>>keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
>>

>>Does anyone else know the full list of clean animals or where to find it in
>>the Bible?
>

> Leviticus, Chapter 11
>
> Leviticus 11:20: The various winged insects that walk on all fours are
> loathsome for you.

Ah yes, those famous Biblical four-legged insects!

-E

> Colin Day aa #1500

Andy

May 4, 2004, 4:00:12 AM5/4/04
"Jason Spaceman" <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message
> WingNutDaily columnist Kelly Hollowell tries to define what a 'kind'
> is:

> Biblical scholars believe that if members of the same genus have the
> ability to produce offspring, then the genus represents the original
> "kind." Conservative estimates suggest there were only about 8,000
> animal genera, and that includes some which are now extinct. So
> multiplying each genus by two, there were over 16,000 animals on board
> the Ark.

What I find interesting is that she neatly ignores Genesis 7:2 which states
:-

"Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his
female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female."

I assume that she did know that there were 14 of each kind of clean animal?
A biblical scholar of her calibre? The figure would then shoot up
considerably.
There had to be more than 2 of each kind because in Genesis 8:20 it states:-

"And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and
of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar"

If there was only 2 of each then that would be a BIG oops!

Andy