Psychology of computer 'intelligent' responces?

rem

Nov 18, 2007, 11:15:45 AM11/18/07
Is human-computer communication - I mean talks with IM-bots, or speech
synthesis, where computer can answer almost as a human could - would
it be scientific to study as a sub-group of usual human-to-human
interaction?

It seems to me, that humans tend to perceive computer responce as a
human one. Maybe, you would remember any studies done in this field?

'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
sci.psychology.research is a moderated newsgroup.
Before submitting an article, please read the guidelines which are posted
here bimonthly or the charter on the web at http://psychcentral.com/spr/
Submissions are acknowledged automatically.

zzbu...@netscape.net

Dec 7, 2007, 11:11:25 AM12/7/07
On Nov 18, 11:15 am, rem <rema...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is human-computer communication - I mean talks with IM-bots, or speech
> synthesis, where computer can answer almost as a human could - would
> it be scientific to study as a sub-group of usual human-to-human
> interaction?

In some specific cases it would be. In general not though,
Since the way people use computers is very situation dependent.
Although people talk to computers sometimes as if they were
people, there is a clear a priori undestanding in most cases
that the machine is an interface, between the person and
another "world" of information usually, rather than an intellect.