Towards a theory of the semiotic mind-body link ...

lbr...@gmail.com

May 7, 2009, 4:43:00 PM5/7/09
~
I would camp within the school of thought that sees the semiotic
essence of the mind-body link as fundamental to understand cx and I
have finished a semiology advancing these ideas, which I am posting
here for peer review.
~
http://www.geocities.com/tekmonk2005/not4pub/v1/semio_mind-body_20090503_v1=
.pdf
~
Even though I am a scientist (actually a theoretical physicist) I
have always been attracted to Philosophical matters (partly forced
into them ;-)) and I grew up among musicians/artists, but as you may
see I am not well cultured into neurosciences so my paper may not be
well-aligned with standard terminology and, even though I have
searched and asked, you may know of some prior art and guiding
principles in the field relating to my approach I am not aware of.
For some reason, I can not quite understand why, the semiosis of
communication is not getting enough attention in mind-body theories
~
Here are the abstract and conclusion of the paper (I specially need
help with section 2: Prolegomena to a model of the inner processing of
conscious communication):
~
Towards a theory of the semiotic mind-body link
by Ricardo Camilo L=F3pez L=F3pez (tekmonk2005 _ A_T_ yahoo kom)

"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"
Albert Einstein, "Physics and Reality" (1936)

Abstract
~
The ontological and epistemological transcendence of the mind-body
dichotomy and its ramifications have ever since been at the center of
religious, philosophical and scientific inquiries. No plausible
explanations have been advanced, even after the current resolution of
imaging technologies have greatly improved our understanding of brain
processes, enabling us to predictively decode high level cognitive
signals in our brains. There are many theories about the mind-body
relationship, yet the primary relationship between consciousness and
communication hasn't received prime attention by the scientific
community[:abstract:4][:abstract:6]. This investigation on the
fundamental semiotic essence of consciousness postulates that the rich
semiosis we use while communicating actually serve as our mind-body
link.
~
6._ Conclusion:
~
We still don't have a comprehensive theory of the neural correlates
underlying consciousness; about the inner functioning of the
physiological processes underlying it on a cellular, molecular
biological, electro-chemical and genetic basis and how they all work
together to orchestrate it, yet most researches acknowledge that
consciousness has a special characteristic called its "hard problem"
relating to the link between the physical and the psychological, which
won't be spelled out by physical elucidations. I suggest in this
paper, that there is and has always been a link bridging both sides
mediated by the rich semiosis we employ while communicating. As
Ilyenkov, put it: "To try and explain the ideal from the anatomical
and physiological properties of the body of the brain is the same
unfruitful whim as to try and explain the money form of the product of
labour by the physico-chemical features of gold."[:ccsion:0]
~
Other than its physical nature and semiosis, there is the illusory
character of consciousness as a natural consequence of the relative
arbitrariness of the signifier-signified relationship signs carry and
the individually specific, yet massively interrelating way in which
our brains do their inner working. Yes, we can consciously feel and
learn to articulate our minds through sensory feedback! But the exact
inner working of one's individual brain, which we surely experience as
emotions, qualia, "tip-of-the-tongue" feelings, dreams, wakefulness,
attentive engagements and intuitions, is a subjective illusion in the
sense that it has no reciprocated objectively commensurable event
other than the expressions of their semiosis. That doesn't have to be
seen as some unfortunate quirk of nature; just try to imagine what it
would mean for us if incumbent kinds of people, such as politicians,
ideologists, the media and marketeers claiming a stake at the most
wonderful toy nature has ever created had a way to directly, reliably
and effectively access, read and program people's minds instead of
having to rely on their tried-and-true ways to lie to and manipulate
us. By studying the way in which semiotic systems phase through
syntactically related, logically closured and relatively discrete
constellations of generality, doing their stabilizing, self-
sustaining, anti-entropic work through our communication, we may
better understand the inner semiotic gears of the mind-body link.
~
You may email me privately if you so decide
~
Thank you very much
tekmonk2005
~
sci.psychology.research

sci.psychology.research is a moderated newsgroup.
Before submitting an article, please read the guidelines which are posted
here bimonthly or the charter on the web at http://psychcentral.com/spr/
Submissions are acknowledged automatically.