Consciousness: The WebCourse

Stuart Hameroff

May 11, 2005, 4:58:33 PM5/11/05
Announcement
Consciousness: The WebCourse
http://consciousness.arizona.edu/webcourse.htm

June 12 - September 4, 2005

Professors:
Bernard J. Baars, PhD
Katharine A. McGovern, PhD

Graduate Discussion Leader:
Thomas Z. Ramsøy, Neuropsychologist, PhD graduate

Guest lecturer:
Stuart Hameroff, MD

The Center for Consciousness Studies at The University of Arizona is pleased
to announce a summer WebCourse on the modern science of consciousness. It is
intended to be the first of a series of courses aimed at bringing
consciousness and its sister issues back into the general college
curriculum.

"Consciousness: The WebCourse" is designed for college students,
professionals, scientists, philosophers and other fans of the field.

This thirteen-week course will use the University of Arizona D2L web
education platform. The course is non-credit, but a Certificate of
Completion will be awarded.

Syllabus, registration and other information may be found at
http://consciousness.arizona.edu/webcourse.htm

Please forward this announcement to interested friends and colleagues,
or refer them to the website.

Course Description

We can explore our own consciousness (First Person); empathize with
others (Second Person); and look at conscious beings from the outside (Third
Person). These three philosophical perspectives organize our course. Weekly
Phenomenology Labs will adopt the First Person perspective, using personal
consciousness diaries and psychological demonstrations. Our Lectures will
focus on new scientific findings about vision, emotional feelings, mental
effort, volition and the unconscious. The Second Person emerges in ethical
relations to others, interpersonal experiences, and a new understanding of
the brain regions of mother-baby attachment. Discussion Groups will
encourage participants to engage with the course leaders and with each
other.

The three basic perspectives can be understood in the framework of
Global Workspace Theory, a well-known scientific approach to consciousness.
Other theoretical views will also be included. We will not settle the
philosophical question ³what is consciousness?² but we will acquire a
better
understanding of consciousness in modern psychology, brain science and the
wisdom traditions.

We hope this Web Course will be fun and exciting as well as thought-
provoking.

Fees

Registration prior to May 25: $245
Registration after May 25: $315

For Students:

Registration prior to May 25: $115
Registration after May 25: $145

A limited number of scholarships will be available.
See further information at http://consciousness.arizona.edu/webcourse.htm