Re: Lurker Poll: Direct Perception v.s. Representationalism

Steven Lehar

May 19, 2005, 12:54:57 PM5/19/05
be true? There were only 11 responses! Now I understand that not every
lurker would feel compelled to reply, (they are lurkers after all!) and
some might have planned to but have not gotten around to it, but I was
expecting at least an order of magnitude greater response than just 11. Do
yous have a sense that this number is accurate? If this is right, then the
lurkers to posters ratio is pretty close to 1! I always thought there was a
large sea of lurkers out there!

Of course with such a tiny sample size it is hard to draw any positive
conclusions, but here is the data.

Review of the questions:

1: What was your view before the debate?
A: strong DP
B: mild DP
C: neutral
D: mild rep
E: strong rep

2: Was the debate interesting?
A: interesting
B: so-so
C: boring

3: What is your view after the debate?
A: strong DP
B: mild DP
C: neutral
D: mild rep
E: strong rep

Results:

1E 2A 3E
1A 2A 3C
1D 2B 3D
1E 2A 3E
1E 2B 3E
1B 2B 3E
1E 2B 3E
1D 2B 3D
1A 2B 3A
1E 2A 3E
1A 2B 3A

Analysis:

Only 4 people (36%) thought the exchange was interesting. Of those, only
one changed their mind, going from strong DP to neutral. All the others
thought the exchange was "so-so".

Of the 11 respondents only *2* (18%) changed their minds, although both of
them went from direct perception towards representationalism, one from A to
C (strong DP to neutral) and one from B to E (mild DP to strong rep.)

Of those (2) who thought the exchange was interesting, both were, or became
strong representationalists.

The average opinion after the debate was "3.9" (mapping A=1, B=2, etc.)
which comes out to mild representationalism.

Its not too late to send in your response. If I get more than 3 new

Steve