"Einstein Would Be Beaming": Scientists React to Gravitational Waves

Sam Wormley

Feb 17, 2016, 4:56:39 PM2/17/16

--

sci.physics is an unmoderated newsgroup dedicated
to the discussion of physics, news from the physics

ji...@specsol.spam.sux.com

Feb 17, 2016, 8:16:11 PM2/17/16
Sam Wormley <swor...@gmail.com> wrote:

Einstein would be sick to death of the hype and arm waving.

--
Jim Pennino

Double-A

Feb 18, 2016, 5:29:34 PM2/18/16
On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 1:56:39 PM UTC-8, Sam Wormley wrote:
> "Einstein Would Be Beaming": Scientists React to Gravitational Waves
> > http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/einstein-would-be-beaming-scientists-react-to-gravitational-waves/
>

> > Scientists have essentially been waiting for this day for a century,
> > since Albert Einstein predicted gravitational waves in 1916 on the
> > basis of his general theory of relativity. "100 years feels like a
> > lifetime but over the course of scientific exploration it's not that
> > long," Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium at the
> > American Museum of Natural History, said at the Columbia gathering.
> > "I lay awake at night wondering what brilliant thoughts people have
> > today that will take 100 years to reveal themselves." At the D.C.
> > press conference, California Institute of Technology physicist Kip
> > Thorne imagined the visionary's response to the news. "Einstein would
> > be beaming. This is a very, very special moment."

"Together with a young collaborator, I arrived at the interesting result that gravitational waves do not exist, though they had been assumed a certainty to the first approximation," - Albert Einstein wrote in a letter to his friend Max Born in 1936.

Double-A

reber g=emc^2

Feb 18, 2016, 5:39:58 PM2/18/16
On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 1:56:39 PM UTC-8, Sam Wormley wrote:
AA Gravity waves were NEVER FOUND.Never does curving of space need waves.Never did the great mind of Einstein predict them.Never will those working with LIGO get a Nobel.The Nobel is not given out for GOP Mafia BS. Reality is Einstein did not get his Nobel for GR WOW TreBert

Sam Wormley

Feb 18, 2016, 5:45:42 PM2/18/16
On 2/18/16 4:29 PM, Double-A wrote:
> "Together with a young collaborator, I arrived at the interesting result that gravitational waves do not exist, though they had been assumed a certainty to the first approximation," - Albert Einstein wrote in a letter to his friend Max Born in 1936.
>
> Double-A

Nature has contradicted what Einstein "said". Gravitational wave
have been observed indirectly and directly. And of course there are
predicted by general relativity.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Feb 18, 2016, 5:47:32 PM2/18/16

MrAA quoted:
> " Together with a young collaborator, I arrived at the interesting
>   result that gravitational waves do not exist,
>   though they had been assumed a certainty to the first approximation,"
>   -  Albert Einstein wrote in a letter to his friend Max Born in 1936.

Right, a letter to a friend, not an official publication.

Early 1937, in the "Journal of the Franklin Institute",
Albert Einstein ( then 58 years young ) published:
"On gravitational waves", by A. Einstein, N. Rosen.

Abstract: <<

  The rigorous solution for cylindrical gravitational waves is given.

  For the convenience of the reader,
  the theory of gravitational waves and their production,
  already known in principle, is given in the first part of this paper.

  After encountering relationships which cast doubt on the existence of
  rigorous solutions for undulatory gravitational fields,
  we investigate rigorously the case of cylindrical gravitational waves.

  It turns out that rigorous solutions exist,
  and that the problem reduces to the usual cylindrical waves
  in euclidean space.  >>

Sam Wormley

Feb 18, 2016, 5:48:01 PM2/18/16
On 2/18/16 4:39 PM, reber g=emc^2 wrote:
> Gravity waves were NEVER FOUND

Wrong again, reber. Where were you last week. Observation trumps
opinion in physics

Hulse and Taylor in 1974
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSR_B1913%2B16

Abbott, et al