Questions on: Black-Hole Thermodynamics

Rob Salgado

Jan 23, 1993, 11:17:42 PM1/23/93
I am about to carefully study the Bardeen-Carter-Hawking paper
"The Four Laws of Black Hole Mechanics" (Comm.Math.Phys. 31, 161-170 [1973]).

I have a few questions concerning black-hole mechanics and thermodynamics.
For now, I am only interested in the classical theory
(i.e: no Hawking radiation, no statistical mechanics).

REFERENCES would be greatly appreciated.

1) What is the current status of the uniqueness theorems?
Is there a concise formulation and proof of a general uniqueness theorem?

2) Is there any work being done on non-stationary black-holes?

3) Are there any natural geometric structures living on the event horizon?

4) What is the status of the cosmic censor conjecture?

5) Is the thermodynamic analogy peculiar to (3+1)-Einstein gravity?
Compare/contrast to, say, (2+1)-Einstein gravity or a scalar-tensor
theory.

Rob Salgado
sal...@suhep.phy.syr.edu

John C. Baez

Jan 24, 1993, 7:16:04 PM1/24/93
In article <1993Jan23.2...@newstand.syr.edu> rbsa...@rodan.acs.syr.EDU (Rob Salgado) writes:
>REFERENCES would be greatly appreciated.

>4) What is the status of the cosmic censor conjecture?

Here I'd recommend the review article On Uniqueness in the Large of
Solutions to Einstein's Equations ("Strong Cosmic Censorship") by my
firend Piotr Chrusciel, in Contemporary Mathematics 132 (1992), p. 235.

RING, DAVID WAYNE

Jan 25, 1993, 9:04:00 PM1/25/93
rbsa...@rodan.acs.syr.EDU (Rob Salgado) writes...

>4) What is the status of the cosmic censor conjecture?

A counterexample can be found in MTW. To this day people try
to find loopholes which could invalidate the counterexample, because
they want to believe Cosmic Censorship.

Dave Ring
dwr...@zeus.tamu.edu