Misdirected Charity.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 13, 2020, 2:41:49 AM4/13/20
Near as I can tell, most multi-family apartment
owners have deep pockets; also, they’re
first in line at the printing press.

Problem is, there’s not enough charity going on;
either that, or it’s misdirected.

Bill Gates worries about (ubiquitous) viruses,
as if that were the primary cause of deaths;
he doesn’t understand (proper) cause-n-effect.

Apparently, Seattle can’t afford long-term
care for mentally-ill drug abusers.

Heroin is a pain reliever.
Religion is a pain reliever. God is nature.
Money printing is a pain reliever.

chrisv

Apr 14, 2020, 3:59:23 PM4/14/20
Jeff-Relf.Me @. wrote:

>Apparently, Seattle can’t afford long-term
>care for mentally-ill drug abusers.

Apparently, Relf's crappy newsreader "can’t" post apostrophes.

Oddly similar to -highhorse's posts, where the hex equivalents of â
and € appear.

--
"012345789ABCDEF
1-16"

Sergio

Apr 14, 2020, 4:55:03 PM4/14/20
On 4/14/2020 2:59 PM, chrisv wrote:
> Jeff-Relf.Me @. wrote:
>
>> Apparently, Seattle can’t afford long-term
>> care for mentally-ill drug abusers.
>
> Apparently, Relf's crappy newsreader "can’t" post apostrophes.
>
> Oddly similar to -highhorse's posts, where the hex equivalents of â
> and € appear.

his computer is infected with China Virus,

â <= has china hat on it

€ <= see the little hooks

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 14, 2020, 5:32:30 PM4/14/20
For years, ChrisV plonked me because his newsreader
couldn't handle my posts; for similar reasons,
people block posts from Google Groups.

His newsreader, Agent, doesn't understand UTF-8.

UTF-8, not US ASCII, has been the standard for decades now.

Also, Agent borks HTML, big time.

SLRN, a console newsreader, has no such problems.

Mozilla Thunderbird is the gold standard for newsreaders;
but 99.999 % of people can't configure it properly.

Most people can't write the CSS, nor the JavaScript,
required to make it super nice.

Unless you enjoy -Random- lags ( when will the post show up ? ),
Do NOT use a binary server to READ Usenet; instead, use:

News.Individual.NET:119 // 10 Euros per year.

Do NOT post using Individual.NET, they'll censor you;
instead, use a binary server; to wit:

News.US.Usenet-News.NET:119 or usNews.BlockNews.NET:119

They won't censor you; they don't even keep the "Path:" line,
so you can't be identified. Their archive is over 18 years deep.
$5 buys you 11 gigs, enough for several life times.
If one is down ( -very- unlikely ), use the other one.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Lewis

Apr 14, 2020, 8:29:56 PM4/14/20
In message <Jeff-R...@Apr.14--2.32pm.Seattle.2020> Jeff-Relf.Me @. <Jeff-Relf.Me@> wrote:
> Mozilla Thunderbird is the gold standard for newsreaders;

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Thank you for that, it's the funniest thing I've seen all day.
Possibly all week.

--
On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of
course. But mostly evil deeds. --Wyrd Sisters

mGhost

Apr 14, 2020, 10:45:25 PM4/14/20
On 2020-04-15, Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <Jeff-R...@Apr.14--2.32pm.Seattle.2020> Jeff-Relf.Me @. <Jeff-Relf.Me@> wrote:
>> Mozilla Thunderbird is the gold standard for newsreaders;
>
> Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
>
> Thank you for that, it's the funniest thing I've seen all day.
> Possibly all week.

Thought that was funny as well. SLRN is the gold standard. Thunderbird
is an email client, and not a very good one at that.

--
Я гость в отеле

Snit

Apr 14, 2020, 11:05:07 PM4/14/20
I use it and can attest to the fact it is crap.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

mGhost

Apr 15, 2020, 12:39:03 AM4/15/20
On 2020-04-15, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> On 4/14/20 7:45 PM, mGhost wrote:
>>>
>>> Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
>>>
>>> Thank you for that, it's the funniest thing I've seen all day.
>>> Possibly all week.
>>>
>> Thought that was funny as well. SLRN is the gold standard. Thunderbird
>> is an email client, and not a very good one at that.
>>

> I use it and can attest to the fact it is crap.

Couldn't agree more.

Snit

Apr 15, 2020, 1:50:02 AM4/15/20
Can you try? I would like to see what that looked like. :)

To be clear: I use it for Usenet. Not email.

chrisv

Apr 15, 2020, 8:07:09 AM4/15/20
Jeff-Relf.Me @. wrote:

>For years, ChrisV plonked me because his newsreader
>couldn't handle my posts;

You were plonked for being an html-posting kook.

>His newsreader, Agent, doesn't understand UTF-8.

Claims a kook.

>Also, Agent borks HTML, big time.

Even if true, no drawback at all.

>Mozilla Thunderbird is the gold standard for newsreaders;

Not.

--
"And if you had a clue as to how the open source world worked you
would not whine that Apple was using open source software and then

Michael Moroney

Apr 15, 2020, 12:02:21 PM4/15/20
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> writes:

>Jeff-Relf.Me @. wrote:

>>For years, ChrisV plonked me because his newsreader
>>couldn't handle my posts;

>You were plonked for being an html-posting kook.

>>His newsreader, Agent, doesn't understand UTF-8.

>Claims a kook.

>>Also, Agent borks HTML, big time.

>Even if true, no drawback at all.

I see that as an advantage, as Usenet posts in HTML can be used as a boobytrap
to do nefarious things, the minimum of which is to track who reads the post
similar to HTML email webbugs. An evil person could do much worse. Fetching
remote images also makes a Usenet post no longer self-contained, remove or
change the image and the post retroactively changes.

In the groups I follow (which changes over time) the only attempts I've seen
posting HTML to Usenet are spammers and Relf. Even spammers don't seem to
so that any more.

>>Mozilla Thunderbird is the gold standard for newsreaders;

>Not.

Jeff sure has rather kO0ky ideas for "gold standards" for newsreaders.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 15, 2020, 12:24:05 PM4/15/20
mGhost and Lewis replied ( to me ):
> > > Mozilla Thunderbird is the gold standard for newsreaders;
> > > but 99.999 % of people can't configure it properly.
> > >
> > > Most people can't write the CSS, nor the JavaScript,
> > > required to make it super nice.
> >
> > Thank you for that, it's the funniest thing I've seen all day.
>
> Thought that was funny as well. SLRN is the gold standard.
> Thunderbird is an email client, and not a very good one at that.

If you had the power to configure it, like I do,
you wouldn't say that.

I wrote my own newsreader;
so I don't need Thunderbird.

chrisv

Apr 15, 2020, 12:27:24 PM4/15/20
Michael Moroney wrote:

> chrisv writes:
>
>>Jeff-Relf.Me @. wrote:
>>>
>>>Agent borks HTML, big time.
>>
>>Even if true, no drawback at all.
>
>I see that as an advantage, (snip)

Yep.

>>>Mozilla Thunderbird is the gold standard for newsreaders;
>>
>>Not.
>
>Jeff sure has rather kO0ky ideas for "gold standards" for newsreaders.

A kO0k's ideas are, by definition, kO0ky. 8)

--
'Even if you share ideas you have in common with Linus Torvalds, such
ideas are "proof" you are a Linux-hater... so says the herd.' - some

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 15, 2020, 12:38:07 PM4/15/20
Michael Moroney's paranoid, pot-addled brain is incapable
of understanding that Thunderbird's default settings prevent
the "tracking" problems that scared him so.

MrChrisV is too childish to admit that his newsreader
can't handle Unicode ( which requires font mixing-n-matching ).

Likewise, SLRN can't mixing-n-match fonts,
as Unicode requires ( especially when it comes to emoji's ).

chrisv

Apr 15, 2020, 1:38:21 PM4/15/20
Jeff-Relf.Me @. wrote:

>MrChrisV is too childish to admit that his newsreader
>can't handle Unicode

Why would I admit something that isn't true?

This is my normal configuration:

https://imgur.com/bvbQtl1

I could choose to configure it like this:

https://imgur.com/NKaohlX

Or this:

https://imgur.com/28rAjCn

>(which requires font mixing-n-matching ).

None for me, thanks.

--
"I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to go to high school
with a bunch of dumb, loudmouth blacks eeking and ooking all day

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 15, 2020, 2:09:26 PM4/15/20
Why do you object to font mixing-n-matching, MrChrisV ?

Each post tells you what CharSet to use;
the appropriate CharSet ( UTF-8, Western or Japanese )
is -not- a newsreader setting.

Forte agent got it wrong;
and you're too petty to admit it.

chrisv

Apr 15, 2020, 2:27:26 PM4/15/20
Jeff-Relf.Me @. wrote:

>Each post tells you what CharSet to use;
>the appropriate CharSet ( UTF-8, Western or Japanese )
>is -not- a newsreader setting.

That would make sense.

>Forte agent got it wrong;

Maybe so.

But what's the point of posting E2 80 99 (UTF) when 27 (ASCII) does
the job?

>and you're too petty to admit it.

Wrong. 8)

--
"Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Proud! (but could I have yo' spare
change anyway?)" - "DFS"

mGhost

Apr 15, 2020, 2:29:03 PM4/15/20
Does the filtering in Thunderbird depend on marking posts as read in
your configuration?

> I wrote my own newsreader;
> so I don't need Thunderbird.

Would you be so kind as to show a screen shot of your threaded viewer
and composition interface?

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 15, 2020, 3:00:41 PM4/15/20
MrChrisV asked:
> what's the point of posting E2 80 99 ( UTF-8 )
> when 0x27 (hex) does the job ?

Some people prefer separate opening and closing quote marks.
Your inability to handle it doesn't make them bad people.

chrisv

Apr 15, 2020, 3:17:15 PM4/15/20
Jeff-Relf.Me @. wrote:

>MrChrisV asked:
>>
>> what's the point of posting E2 80 99 ( UTF-8 )
>> when 0x27 (hex) does the job ?
>
>Some people prefer separate opening and closing quote marks.

So, you mistakenly typed a quote mark, when you should have typed an
apostrophe.

>Your inability to handle it doesn't make them bad people.

No, it makes them kO0ky. 8)

--
"The public hates Linux." - Flathead

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 15, 2020, 3:33:23 PM4/15/20
mGhost replied ( to me ):

> Does the filtering in Thunderbird depend on marking posts
> as read in your configuration ?

Google: Thunderbird filters

The email stuff works for posts as well,
as they are ultra similar.

FiltaQuilla uses regular expressions.

Write the proper JavaScript extension,
maybe toss in some CSS,
and you can make it do shit you've never dreamed of.

But this is far beyond "Joe SixPack", of course.

> > I wrote my own newsreader;
> > so I don't need Thunderbird.
>
> Would you be so kind as to show a screen shot of your
> threaded viewer and composition interface ?

My posts to Usenet ( since Feb 2012 ):
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Posts.TXT

Open it in Visual Studio 2019 "Community" (free) Addition,
with (C#) "Visual Commander" macros/extensions,
and you're ready to read and/or compose new messages.

gShift Left Click "deletes" a post,
moving it to the clipboard,
ready for sending ( using a button on my newsreader ).
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/MouseKeyboardLayout.PNG
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM
http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Macros.HTM

But, surely, it wouldn't work for anyone but me;
no one else could learn the details,
including the complex C++ code.

mGhost

Apr 15, 2020, 3:41:49 PM4/15/20
On 2020-04-15, Jeff-Relf.Me @. <Jeff-Relf.Me@> wrote:
> mGhost replied ( to me ):

>> Does the filtering in Thunderbird depend on marking posts
>> as read in your configuration ?
>
> Google: Thunderbird filters
>
> The email stuff works for posts as well,
> as they are ultra similar.
>
> FiltaQuilla uses regular expressions.
>
> Write the proper JavaScript extension,
> maybe toss in some CSS,
> and you can make it do shit you've never dreamed of.
>
> But this is far beyond "Joe SixPack", of course.

Okay, my thoughts on Thunderbird vs SLRN are based on what the user gets
as defined by the application without any programming or experience
beyond being asked to configure it.

>> > I wrote my own newsreader;
>> > so I don't need Thunderbird.
>>
>> Would you be so kind as to show a screen shot of your
>> threaded viewer and composition interface ?
>
> My posts to Usenet ( since Feb 2012 ):
> http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Posts.TXT
>
> Open it in Visual Studio 2019 "Community" (free) Addition,
> with (C#) "Visual Commander" macros/extensions,
> and you're ready to read and/or compose new messages.
>
> gShift Left Click "deletes" a post,
> moving it to the clipboard,
> ready for sending ( using a button on my newsreader ).
> http://Jeff-Relf.Me/MouseKeyboardLayout.PNG
> http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM
> http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Macros.HTM
>
> But, surely, it wouldn't work for anyone but me;
> no one else could learn the details,
> including the complex C++ code.

Thank you.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 15, 2020, 4:18:51 PM4/15/20
Something asked me:
> with a brain the size of yours, how do you
> manage to get your head through the door ?

Bill Gates is focused on the (ubiquitous) virus,
because that's the easiest thing to do;
I'm focused on the Hoovervilles,
the mentally ill drug abusers who need long-term care.

But don't be jealous of Bill or me,
we've both got one foot in the grave.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 15, 2020, 4:41:13 PM4/15/20
MrChrisV thinks I:
> mistakenly typed a [ typographic apostrophe ],
> when I should have typed [ a straight apostrophe ].

"it’s" is more correct then "it's".

The straight apostrophe, ' (U+0027 APOSTROPHE) is ambiguous,
as it could also be an open quotation mark, or a prime symbol;
it only exists to save space on the keyboard.

’, U+2019, is a "typographic apostrophe"; see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Typographic_form

> > Your inability to handle it doesn't make them bad people.
>
> No, it makes them kO0ky. 8)

You're the only one who's marching in step.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Apr 15, 2020, 4:52:11 PM4/15/20
Something mentioned:
> "your" ego and delusion of superiority.