SuperString Theory Book For Sale...

an1...@anon.penet.fi

Jan 14, 1993, 2:24:29 PM1/14/93

Hello,

I have the following book set I wish to sell:

SuperString Theory, by Green, Schwarz, & Witten, 1987.
Vol. 1 (list price $39.50)
Vol. 2 (list price $54.50)

Both volumes are in new condition with their jackets.

Asking $85 obo + shipping charges

Please respond to: man...@ams.sunysb.edu

Abe

To find out more about the anon service, send mail to he...@anon.penet.fi.
Due to the double-blind system, any replies to this message will be anonymized,

John C. Baez

Jan 17, 1993, 4:53:27 PM1/17/93
In article <1993Jan17.0...@fuug.fi> an1...@anon.penet.fi writes:

>Hello,

>I have the following book set I wish to sell:

>SuperString Theory, by Green, Schwarz, & Witten, 1987.

>To find out more about the anon service, send mail to he...@anon.penet.fi.
>Due to the double-blind system, any replies to this message will be anonymized,
>and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.

It's clear that string theory is dead when we start getting anonymous
posts from people wishing to sell their copies of Green, Schwarz and Witten.

Sushil Nariani

Jan 17, 1993, 7:04:42 PM1/17/93
In article <1993Jan17.2...@galois.mit.edu> jb...@riesz.mit.edu (John C. Baez) writes:
>>SuperString Theory, by Green, Schwarz, & Witten, 1987.
>>To find out more about the anon service, send mail to he...@anon.penet.fi.
>>Due to the double-blind system, any replies to this message will be anonymized,
>posts from people wishing to sell their copies of Green, Schwarz and Witten.

:) clever, JB. But probably the salesman could'nt handle the math
[that being no ignominy].. you have to come up with a stronger proof
against Superstring :):)

Sushil

Dr Hong Kee Tonk

Jan 17, 1993, 8:54:32 PM1/17/93
jb...@riesz.mit.edu (John C. Baez) writes:
:
: It's clear that string theory is dead when we start getting anonymous

: posts from people wishing to sell their copies of Green, Schwarz and Witten.
Why? Who do you think he really is? :)

brett mcinnes

Jan 19, 1993, 11:14:23 PM1/19/93
Seriously though, I don't think he should sell. The book is a vast store
of fascinating stuff which uses serious mathematics and applies it to real
physical problems [the number of particle generations etc]. Would that the
same could be said of many subsequent developments. I would not be
surprised to see some of the ideas revived in other applications.

Matt Austern

Jan 20, 1993, 7:28:58 AM1/20/93

Especially since the ideas that are currently used for string theory
were themselves recycled from other applications! Don't forget that
string theory comes out of pre-QCD hadronic physics, and from S-matrix
theory.
--
Matthew Austern Just keep yelling until you attract a
(510) 644-2618 crowd, then a constituency, a movement, a