book recommendation about string theory and extra dimensions

kajlina

Oct 18, 2006, 12:48:37 PM10/18/06
I am a student of astronomy and would like to learn more about string
theory and extra dimensions. I have read "The Elegant Universe" by
Brian Greene. Could anyone suggest some more readings for me? I do not
want books with lost of equations.

Thanks,

pentascape

Nov 6, 2006, 12:34:27 PM11/6/06
You could try reading Brian Greene's follow up book "The Fabric of the
Cosmos". I have a bit of a decent theoretical library at home, I'll
have a dig for some more titles you may be interested in.

Chris

Strings

Nov 12, 2006, 10:27:56 AM11/12/06
Moderator's note: a list (plus amazon links) of technical level textbooks
about string theory is at

http://motls.blogspot.com/2006/11/string-theory-textbooks.html

"kajlina" <chin...@sina.com> wrote in message news:1160455747.3...@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

sorry i didn't reply sooner. some things you might like:

Superstrings (Peat)
Superstrings (Davies?)

stuff that sorta relates to string theory:

Warped Passages (very good!)
Three Roads to Quantum Gravity (Smolin)

Randall is pro-strings, Smolin is loop quantum gravity.

if you want to go overboard, go to the library and read old articles from
1984 to present. and dig through the arkiv for simple papers on quantum
gravity and string theory. you are mainly looking for surveys of quantum
gravity or string theory, because there will be tons of elementary material
between the equations. (there will be terms like QFT, landscape, and so
forth).

i'm not aware of any recent book that is written for informed laymen. most
of the books are either technical (assume GR and QM) or trivial.