Seeking Relativity Experts for Doc Film

1 view

David de Hilster

Jun 19, 2005, 1:34:47 AM6/19/05
Dear Sir/Madam:
We are looking for experts in the area of relativity who are willing to
be interviewed for our documentary film called 'The Miracle Year'.
Experts will be interviewed by a layman, Mrs. Patricia de Hilster (my
mother), who is the main character so we can keep the technical level to
that of the average person.

The main theme of the documentary film is to explore whether or not
Einstein's theory of relativity may be wrong. Our goal is not to judge
people's opinions positively or negatively on the subject of relativity,
but let my mother as a layman come to her own conclusions after seeing
all the evidence and experts on both sides. The interview process will
take less than an hour, and the participant must sign a release form
before filming. If you know of someone who is an expert on relativity
who may want to appear in the movie, please contact us by email or
phone. The filming will take place sometime this year (2005) with a
theatrical release of the full-length documentary film planned fo r
2006. The film will be between 100 and 120 minutes in length and is
targeted at a theater-going audience. The website for the film can be
found at: http://www.themiracleyear.com

Sincerely,
David de Hilster
Producer / Director
Bootstrap Productions
Long Beach, California
Tel: 310-991-5744
Email: con...@bootstrapproductions.biz

Aaron Bergman

Jun 21, 2005, 3:15:23 AM6/21/05
In article <18703344.20...@earthlink.net>,

"David de Hilster" <dehi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam:
> We are looking for experts in the area of relativity who are willing to
> be interviewed for our documentary film called 'The Miracle Year'.
> Experts will be interviewed by a layman, Mrs. Patricia de Hilster (my
> mother), who is the main character so we can keep the technical level to
> that of the average person.

Responders should be aware that Mr. de Hilster is a proponent of a
theory called "Autodynamics" <http://www.autodynamics.org> that says
that special relativity is wrong. Needless to say, it is autodynamics
that is wrong, not special relativity.

Aaron

Uncle Al

Jun 21, 2005, 3:15:58 AM6/21/05
David de Hilster wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam:
> We are looking for experts in the area of relativity who are willing to
> be interviewed for our documentary film called 'The Miracle Year'.
> Experts will be interviewed by a layman, Mrs. Patricia de Hilster (my
> mother), who is the main character so we can keep the technical level to
> that of the average person.

Wow. Your mom? Is she in the same class with Madame Chien-Shiung Wu,
Ada Byron King, Emmy Noether, or Amanda Peet?

http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~peet/home/
Not that Amanda Peet, this one.

The technical level is not that of the average person. The average
person is an ignorant, stupid, dysfunctional embarassment. Check out
what sits in the Oval Office or the Houses of Congress, your local
Department of Motor Vehicles, Welfare, or Employment Development
office; or stands in front of your kids in school.

<http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/airtim.html>
<http://metrologyforum.tm.agilent.com/pdf/flying_clock_math.pdf>
http://metrologyforum.tm.agilent.com/cesium.shtml
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0008012
Hafele-Keating Experiment (the simple stuff)

<http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/ptti2002/paper20.pdf>
Nature 425 374 (2003)
http://www.eftaylor.com/pub/projecta.pdf
<http://www.public.asu.edu/~rjjacob/Lecture16.pdf>
<http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2003-1/index.html>
Relativity in the GPS system

<http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2001-4/index.html>
http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0311039
<http://www.weburbia.demon.co.uk/physics/experiments.html>
Experimental constraints on General Relativity

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0103044
http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/0307140
GR structure, especially Part 4/p. 7

> The main theme of the documentary film is to explore whether or not
> Einstein's theory of relativity may be wrong.

EVERY observation at any scale in any venue over the past 100 years
is, within experimental error, in exact agreement with Einstein's
matehmatical models' predictions,

Science 303(5661) 1143;1153 (2004)
http://arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0401086
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0312071
<http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2003-5/index.html>
<http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1473_1.asp>
Deeply relativistic neutron star binaries

More GPS,

ttp://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0306076.pdf
<http://www.metaresearch.org/solar%20system/gps/absolute-gps-1meter-3.ASP>
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pubs/gps/gpsuser/gpsuser.pdf
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pubs/gps/sigspec/default.htm
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pubs/gps/icd200/default.htm
http://www.trimble.com/gps/index.html
http://sirius.chinalake.navy.mil/satpred/
http://www.phys.lsu.edu/mog/mog9/node9.html
http://egtphysics.net/GPS/RelGPS.htm
http://www.schriever.af.mil/gps/Current/current.oa1
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/gps_books.html
<http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html>

However, GR (metric gravitation) is a special case of more general
affine gravitation. Metric gravitation **postulates** that all bodies
fall identically in vacuum (Equivalence Principle). Affine
gravitation doesn't care one way or the other (and the maths
thereafter are awful). If you can present two lumps that locally fall
non-identically in vacuum (different rates or non-parallel
trajectories), General Relativity is wrong without ever having made a
bad prediction. It is that simple. Anybody could do it. Uncle Al
will shorten your list of candidate lumps:

To one part in ten trillion difference/average (an aspirin tablet
compared to ~80 fully laden Nimitz-class aircraft carriers), the
following fall identically in vacuum: All chemical compositions of
matter, binding energies, spinning bodies (gyroscopes), spin-polarized
bodies (magnets), superconductors... and hyper-bound, hyper-spinning,
hyper-magnetized, superconducting, hyper-hot neutronium (binary
pulsars).

<http://wugrav.wustl.edu/people/CMW/update98.pdf>
<http://www.astro.northwestern.edu/AspenW04/Papers/lorimer1.pdf>
Equivalence Principle testing

http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0411113
<http://www.npl.washington.edu/eotwash/pdf/prl83-3585.pdf>
http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0301024
Phys. Rev. Lett. 93 261101 (2004)
Nordtvedt Effect

<http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/tests.html>
Mathematics of gravitation

The obvious last possiblity, the apparently only remaining way two
lumps can be different, is running right now. Results are due by
mid-September.

> Our goal is not to judge
> people's opinions positively or negatively on the subject of relativity,
> but let my mother as a layman come to her own conclusions after seeing
> all the evidence and experts on both sides.

That is meaningless. The nature of physical reality is not subject to
majority vote.

http://bkocay.cs.umanitoba.ca/Students/Theory.html
The distorted cube

Now who's gonna believe that, or Terrell rotation?

> The interview process will
> take less than an hour, and the participant must sign a release form
> before filming. If you know of someone who is an expert on relativity
> who may want to appear in the movie, please contact us by email or
> phone. The filming will take place sometime this year (2005) with a
> theatrical release of the full-length documentary film planned fo r
> 2006. The film will be between 100 and 120 minutes in length and is
> targeted at a theater-going audience. The website for the film can be
> found at: http://www.themiracleyear.com

Are you hoping to crawl under "Ishtar," "Waterworld," and "Gigli?"
Your only hope is to play it for laughs or pornography. 120 minutes
is an awful long time for either.

Uncle Al is an organic chemist. His goal in life is not to serve as a
good example to others, but instead as a terrible warning.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Perspicacious

Jun 21, 2005, 3:15:45 AM6/21/05
> The film will be between 100 and 120 minutes in length
> and is targeted at a theater-going audience. The website
> for the film can be found at: http://www.themiracleyear.com

Dear David,

The love you have for your mother is commendable but you shouldn't
be indulging her fantasies about proving Einstein wrong on film in
such a compelling way that major theaters will want to pick it up.
Relativity is an entirely mathematical subject and it cannot be
analyzed or explained meaningfully with words alone. So how are
you going to refute Einstein on film? No experimental physicist
can find a fault with any of relativity's predictions and only a
mathematician can prove that relativity is logically inconsistent.
Relativity is consistent. The best you can hope for is to find a
few informed courageous mathematicians and unorthodox scientists
who are willing to admit that it is possible to rephrase special
relativity in a less emotionally charged way that preserves all
the experimental confirmations and postulates of the theory. I
believe that it is justifiable, linguistically, to say that
moving clocks tick at the same rate as stationary clocks and
still accept the essence of special relativity.

http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

Isn't this just an amusing way to play with words?

Thanks for your dedication and interest in wanting the
fundamentals of modern physics explained with simplicity
and clarity.