Lattice QCD made easy?

Radford Neal

Feb 19, 1993, 2:52:34 PM2/19/93

I am interested in Markov chain Monte Carlo methods, some of which,
such as the Hybrid Monte Carlo algorithm, have been developed by the
lattice QCD community. My own applications are in statistics and
artificial intelligence, but I would like to be able to evaluate the
extent to which general ideas for such algorithms may be of interest
to the lattice QCD community, as well as to uncover any algorithms
they may have developed that are so encrusted with lattice QCD growths
that their general applicability is presently concealed from me.

As you may imagine, however, much of the lattice QCD literature
doesn't make much sense to me. I have some general physics
background, but not enough to understand this material as it is
usually presented. I seems possible to me, however, that the
computational formulation of lattice QCD might be able to "stand on
its own", without much of the mathematical machinery that physicists
used to get there, allowing it to be understood by the ignorant
masses.

Is this a realistic hope? If so, does anyone know of a reasonably
tutorial exposition of lattice QCD along these lines?

Thanks,

Radford Neal