Re: NASA proposes artificial magnetic field to make Mars a second home

Otplate Yuugaku

Mar 8, 2017, 10:32:18 AM3/8/17
Yousuf Khan wrote:

> http://www.zdnet.com/article/nasa-proposes-artificial-magnetic-field-to-
make-mars-a-second-home/

>> However, researchers have proposed a way to make Mars more habitable --
>> by creating an artificial magnetic field to reduce radiation levels.

lol. It's so easy coming up with proposes. The catch is to implement it
for real. As for instance on Moon, where as such the radiation level
should hit twice as much as in empty space (the reflected). What do you
have to say in your defence. They don't even have a vehicle to transport
people to the International Space Station. What are they talking about.

Otplate Yuugaku

Mar 8, 2017, 10:52:40 AM3/8/17
Yousuf Khan wrote:

>> While Green admits the idea is somewhat "fanciful," the scientists
>> insist that it is not outside the realm of possibility, and could
>> assist in the future exploration of the planet.

This is just great. Now go clean your room.

How to Clean Your Room (with Examples) - wikiHow
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Your-Room

The Starmaker

Mar 8, 2017, 1:37:46 PM3/8/17
Yousuf Khan wrote:

> http://www.zdnet.com/article/nasa-proposes-artificial-magnetic-field-to-make-mars-a-second-home/
>
> > However, researchers have proposed a way to make Mars more habitable -- by creating an artificial magnetic field to reduce radiation levels.
> >
> > To combat some of the main barriers to sending humans to Mars, as reported by Universe Today, last week, NASA hosted a discussion and presentation group called the Planetary Science Vision 2050 Workshop.
> >
> > At the event, scientists and researchers discussed the future possibilities of space exploration, and during one talk, NASA Planetary Science Division Director Dr. Jim Green proposed ways to deploy a magnetic shield around the planet which could act as a barrier to radiation and reduce the need for extreme protective equipment.
> >
> > The proposal (.PDF) relies on the theory that over four billion years ago, the planet's magnetic field vanished, turning the planet from a warm, wet environment to a dry husk. Without returning some kind of magnetic field to Mars, this situation will not change.
> >
> > Green proposes that by placing a magnetic dipole shield at the Mars L1 Lagrange Point, a man-made magnetosphere sphere would cradle the entire planet.
> >
> > The team says that previous tests in lab conditions suggest that inflatable structures could potentially generate a magnetic dipole field at a level of perhaps 1 or 2 Tesla, protecting against both radiation and solar winds.
> >
> > In addition, such a field could result in Mars' atmosphere thickening over time, creating a greenhouse effect which could increase the planet's surface temperature by up to four degrees and melt northern polar ice caps.
> >
> > While Green admits the idea is somewhat "fanciful," the scientists insist that it is not outside the realm of possibility, and could assist in the future exploration of the planet.

pro·pose
pr?'poz/
verb
3rd person present: proposes

1.
put forward (an idea or plan) for consideration or discussion by
others.

Get wit the program...it's fake news.

They sit in a room everyday with only one agenda...pro·pose.

They are simply tryin to remain...revelant, but they are not.

Read the Headline: "NASA proposes..."

It's just fuckin TALK!

Get wit the program...it's fake news.

You're just a wishful thinker...Yousuf.

The first step, think for yourself..

The Starmaker

Mar 9, 2017, 2:36:07 AM3/9/17
Yousuf Khan wrote:

> On 3/8/2017 12:51 PM, S Ergio wrote:
> > thanks for the info,
> >
> > that dude should have provided the numbers to back himself up, back of
> > the envelope should do.
>
> I'm sure he has, this is just a popular science article which summarizes
> his proposal, and gives you an idea about what some scientists have come
> up with. It's up to you to go see his original proposal paper, if you
> want more details.
>
> > so how much is the field 655,000 miles away from a one T source ?
>
> Actually the magnetic field strength drops away by a factor of inverse
> cubed not inverse squared. But it really doesn't matter how strong the
> magnetic field is at the surface of Mars, just so long as it's ahead of
> Mars and it produces a large enough bow shock pattern, similar to how
> the bow shock pattern is produced ahead of Earth, diverting the solar
> wind away from Earth.
>
> > how much fuel on board with the sattilite need to compensate for pushing
> > particals around?
>
> Don't know, perhaps they'll find a clever way to use the magnetic field
> itself as a propulsion tool to keep it stable in the L1?
>
> > Gamma rays are not deflected and come in at full strength to the ground,
> > on earth the atmosphere protects us from 95% of them. so how much gamma
> > can a crew take ? a year or two ?
>
> The magnetic field doesn't protect against any kind of EM radiation, no
> matter what. All it protects against is the solar winds. This in turn
> creates a shield of the upper atmosphere to protect against the high
> energy photons from penetrating into the lower atmosphere.
>
> Fortunately, gamma rays are usually an uncommon type of photons in the
> universe, as most of the gamma rays occur inside the cores of stars
> during nuclear fusion, and they all get diffused into lower energy
> photons by the time they exit the star's photosphere. Most sources of
> raw gamma rays are things such as supernovas and quasars, and those are
> very directional in their nature. Another advantage is that these
> sources of gamma rays are also pretty distant.
>
> > and again, to cosmic rays, at what angle can they be deflected from
> > orgional their path, using a magnetic field, is it only 1 or 2 degrees ?
>
> Earth's magnetic field doesn't stop cosmic rays either, they tend to hit
> the Earth relatively unopposed. Again fortunately due to the fact that
> cosmic rays are high energy particles produced by supernovas and active
> galactic nuclei, they are relatively rare. Most of the cosmic rays are
> diverted by the Sun's magnetic field rather than any single planet's
> (though Jupiter's might be strong enough to divert some too).
>
> Most cosmic rays are travelling at relativistic speeds, so no puny
> magnetic field short of a magnetar is going to do much to divert any
> cosmic rays. We used to use cosmic ray showers in the atmosphere to
> detect new particles, prior to the advent of supercolliders.

"This may sound “fanciful” but new research is starting
to emerge revealing that a miniature magnetsphere can
be used to protect humans
and spacecraft."

He could at least learn how to spel....magnetsphere.
http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/V2050/pdf/8250.pdf

fan·ci·ful
'fans?f?l/
adjective
adjective: fanciful

(of a person or their thoughts and ideas) overimaginative and unrealistic.

At least he's honest about his thinking...unrealstic.

Put him in charge of ...NASA.

The Starmaker

Mar 9, 2017, 1:07:28 PM3/9/17
john wrote:

> Just build the Space Elevator right
> out to Mars and plug in.

That sounds like a great...proposes!

but don't you want to dig a hole first?

i proposes
to dig a hole
through the earth
to make an elevator
to China, then
keeping building
to Mars.

would i end up upside down in China? or are they upside down??

how do i get to Mars right side up???

numbernu...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2017, 4:10:43 PM3/9/17
NASA probably never landed on Mars.