Sum ergo cognito - or the other way round?

Eckard B

Oct 18, 2017, 1:12:46 AM10/18/17
My question relates to train gedanken (Gedankenexperiment) printed by Vieweg 100 years ago and P1 of 1905.
Did Descartes obey causality? Well, we may use Cartesian co-ordinates for both rigid bodies, the train and the embankment. However, isn't the choice of a common positive direction for both systems a violation of symmetry?

I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argument against the causal direction of time. My existence is the precondition of my gedanken, not the other way round.

Poutnik

Oct 18, 2017, 2:47:18 AM10/18/17
Dne 18/10/2017 v 07:12 Eckard B napsal(a):
> My question relates to train gedanken (Gedankenexperiment) printed by Vieweg 100 years ago and P1 of 1905.
> Did Descartes obey causality?

He died after he was born, woke up after felt asleep,
so probably yes, he obeyed causality.

Well, we may use Cartesian co-ordinates for both rigid bodies, the
train and the embankment. However, isn't the choice of a common positive
direction for both systems a violation of symmetry?

Violation of symmetry would be,
if we got different results
for different orientations of the coordinate systems.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

Poutnik

Oct 18, 2017, 3:01:41 AM10/18/17
Dne 18/10/2017 v 07:12 Eckard B napsal(a):

> I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argument against the causal direction of time. My existence is the precondition of my gedanken, not the other way round.

SR does not reverse causal relations of timelike events.
Spacelike events cannot have causal relations.

mlwo...@wp.pl

Oct 18, 2017, 3:14:59 AM10/18/17
W dniu środa, 18 października 2017 09:01:41 UTC+2 użytkownik Poutnik napisał:
> Dne 18/10/2017 v 07:12 Eckard B napsal(a):
>

> > I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argument against the causal direction of time. My existence is the precondition of my gedanken, not the other way round.
> >
> SR does not reverse causal relations of timelike events.

Yes, poor idiot, it does. At least, it does if QM
is assumed too.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Oct 18, 2017, 8:35:41 AM10/18/17
Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 18/10/2017 v 07:12 Eckard B napsal(a):
>> I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argument against the causal
>> direction of time. My existence is the precondition of my gedanken, not
>> the other way round.
>>
> SR does not reverse causal relations of timelike events.
> Spacelike events cannot have causal relations.

timelike-_separated_ events
spacelike-_separated_ events

PointedEars
--
Q: Where are offenders sentenced for light crimes?
A: To a prism.

(from: WolframAlpha)

Poutnik

Oct 18, 2017, 8:51:12 AM10/18/17
Dne 18.10.2017 v 14:35 Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn napsal(a):
> Poutnik wrote:
>
>> Dne 18/10/2017 v 07:12 Eckard B napsal(a):
>>> I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argument against the causal
>>> direction of time. My existence is the precondition of my gedanken, not
>>> the other way round.
>>>
>> SR does not reverse causal relations of timelike events.
>> Spacelike events cannot have causal relations.
>
> timelike-_separated_ events
> spacelike-_separated_ events

Sorry for using shortcuts. I do not object.
Or, I could use timelike/spacelike space-time intervals.

Bud Cargo

Oct 18, 2017, 9:08:01 AM10/18/17
Thomas 'HARTZ-IV' Lahn wrote:

> Poutnik wrote:
>
>> Dne 18/10/2017 v 07:12 Eckard B napsal(a):
>>> I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argument against the
>>> causal direction of time. My existence is the precondition of my
>>> gedanken, not the other way round.
>>>
>> SR does not reverse causal relations of timelike events.
>> Spacelike events cannot have causal relations.
>
> timelike-_separated_ events spacelike-_separated_ events
> PointedEars

Idiot, event_s_ are _ALWAYS_ separated. You just display you lack of
proper education.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Oct 18, 2017, 9:10:23 AM10/18/17
Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 18.10.2017 v 14:35 Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote:
>>> SR does not reverse causal relations of timelike events.
>>> Spacelike events cannot have causal relations.
>> timelike-_separated_ events
>> spacelike-_separated_ events
>
> Sorry for using shortcuts. I do not object.
> Or, I could use timelike/spacelike space-time intervals.

ACK. But to the uninitiated, the second version strikes me as requiring
even more explanation as it additionally begs the question “What is a
space-time interval?” or may cause the misconception of a
“timelike/spacelike space-time”.

BTW, it is more common nowadays to write “spacetime”, as indicated by
the redirection of <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time> (neither
Google Book’s Ngram Viewer¹ nor Google Search are useful to determine that).

PointedEars
___________
¹ <https://books.google.com/ngrams>
--
I heard that entropy isn't what it used to be.

(from: WolframAlpha)

Bud Cargo

Oct 18, 2017, 9:12:00 AM10/18/17
Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 18.10.2017 v 14:35 Thomas 'HARTZ-IV' Lahn napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote:
>>> SR does not reverse causal relations of timelike events.
>>> Spacelike events cannot have causal relations.
>>
>> timelike-_separated_ events spacelike-_separated_ events
>
> Sorry for using shortcuts. I do not object.
> Or, I could use timelike/spacelike space-time intervals.

You "do not object" wrong. There is no need for "separated".

Poutnik

Oct 18, 2017, 9:38:38 AM10/18/17
Dne 18.10.2017 v 15:10 Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn napsal(a):
> Poutnik wrote:
>
>> Sorry for using shortcuts. I do not object.
>> Or, I could use timelike/spacelike space-time intervals.
>
> ACK. But to the uninitiated, the second version strikes me as requiring
> even more explanation as it additionally begs the question “What is a
> space-time interval?” or may cause the misconception of a
> “timelike/spacelike space-time”.

I agree, that is why I have not used it. :)

Ned Latham

Oct 18, 2017, 3:21:04 PM10/18/17
Eckard B wrote:

> My question relates to train gedanken (Gedankenexperiment)
> printed by Vieweg 100 years ago and P1 of 1905.
> Did Descartes obey causality? Well, we may use Cartesian
> co-ordinates for both rigid bodies, the train and thei
> embankment. However, isn't the choice of a common positivei
> direction for both systems a violation of symmetry?
>
> I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argumenti
> against the causal direction of time. My existence is
> the precondition of my gedanken, not the other way round.

"I think, therefore I am" is not a statement that my thought
causes my exisatence; it is a statement that the fact of my
thought is proof of my existence.

Eckard B

Oct 19, 2017, 2:50:16 AM10/19/17
Am Mittwoch, 18. Oktober 2017 21:21:04 UTC+2 schrieb Ned Latham:
> Eckard B wrote:
> >
> > My question relates to train gedanken (Gedankenexperiment)
> > printed by Vieweg 100 years ago and P1 of 1905.
> > Did Descartes obey causality? Well, we may use Cartesian
> > co-ordinates for both rigid bodies, the train and thei
> > embankment. However, isn't the choice of a common positivei
> > direction for both systems a violation of symmetry?
> >
> > I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argumenti
> > against the causal direction of time. My existence is
> > the precondition of my gedanken, not the other way round.
>
> "I think, therefore I am" is not a statement that my thought
> causes my existence; it is a statement that the fact of my
> thought is proof of my existence.

Of course. I didn't mistake René Descartes. I merely dared to criticize
his unability to antipicate misuse of his co-ordinates.

Ned Latham

Oct 19, 2017, 11:54:13 PM10/19/17
Eckard B wrote:
> schrieb Ned Latham:
>> Eckard B wrote:
>> >
>> > My question relates to train gedanken (Gedankenexperiment)
>> > printed by Vieweg 100 years ago and P1 of 1905.
>> > Did Descartes obey causality? Well, we may use Cartesian
>> > co-ordinates for both rigid bodies, the train and thei
>> > embankment. However, isn't the choice of a common positivei
>> > direction for both systems a violation of symmetry?
>> >
>> > I don't see the chicken-egg metaphor a valid argumenti
>> > against the causal direction of time. My existence is
>> > the precondition of my gedanken, not the other way round.
>>
>> "I think, therefore I am" is not a statement that my thought
>> causes my existence; it is a statement that the fact of my
>> thought is proof of my existence.
>
> Of course. I didn't mistake René Descartes.

Bitte, entschuldigen Sie mich.

> I merely dared to criticize his unability to antipicate misuse
> of his co-ordinates.

Um. Of course. Howe *dare* he be so careless!

Eckard B

Oct 20, 2017, 12:21:40 AM10/20/17
Am Freitag, 20. Oktober 2017 05:54:13 UTC+2 schrieb Ned Latham:
> Eckard B wrote:
> > schrieb Ned Latham:

> >> "I think, therefore I am" is not a statement that my thought
> >> causes my existence; it is a statement that the fact of my
> >> thought is proof of my existence.
> >
> > Of course. I didn't mistake René Descartes.
>
> Bitte, entschuldigen Sie mich.

No reason for that. I have to apologize for hurting those who idolize Descartes.

> > I merely dared to criticize his unability to antipicate misuse
> > of his co-ordinates.
>
> Um. Of course. How *dare* he be so careless!

I am not very familiar with his life and thought. Some of his ideas continued and considerably further developed ancient geometry. I see him also in the context of others, in particular Wallis who introduced the symbol of infinity.
While Descartes intended avoiding arbitrariness, the application of his co-ordinates on the traditional notion of time implied the need to arbitrarily choose a point zero of reference. He was not at all careless but put into the religious belief in an alpha (creation of the world) and an omega (doomsday).

Ned Latham

Oct 20, 2017, 6:14:51 AM10/20/17
Neither am I.

> Some of his ideas
> continued and considerably further developed ancient geometry.

We still call the non-polar co-ordinate system "Cartesian Co-ordinates".
But for me, his greatest achievement (one of the greatest achievemnents
of all time) is "Cogito, ergo sum".

> I see him also in the context of others, in particular Wallis who
> introduced the symbol of infinity.

Didn't know that.

> While Descartes intended avoiding arbitrariness, the application of
> his co-ordinates on the traditional notion of time implied the need
> to arbitrarily choose a point zero of reference.

I don't know how to read that. I do not accept the notion of time
as a phenomenon (let alone as a dimension of some continuum);
like number, it is a noumenon, a thing that exists only in the mind
of man. Indeed, the time line is just the number line with some minor
label changes.

> He was not at all careless

I was being ironic.

> but put into the religious belief in an alpha (creation of
> the world) and an omega (doomsday).

Hmm. Didn't know that either. Can't say I see any positive value in it.

Mauricio Hopwood

Oct 20, 2017, 7:31:48 AM10/20/17
Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 18.10.2017 v 15:10 Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for using shortcuts. I do not object.
>>> Or, I could use timelike/spacelike space-time intervals.
>>
>> ACK. But to the uninitiated, the second version strikes me as
>> requiring even more explanation as it additionally begs the question
>> “What is a space-time interval?” or may cause the misconception of a
>> “timelike/spacelike space-time”.
>
> I agree, that is why I have not used it.

Hmm, can you have TWO or MORE events not being separated, before you "do
not object" that much?? You two guys are severely uneducated. I would
never let you two inside my research facilities, of which I own. You two
let alone, in a dark room for instance, with lasers and electric
equipment, would start a fire, even without touching anything.