Simple Plasma Detector?

Wes

Apr 16, 2010, 4:08:07 PM4/16/10

In order to compare 2 techniques for making air-based plasmas, a
simple and low cost plasma detector is needed. A full Langmuir Probe
seems overkill. I propose this design and would like the group's
feedback on its usefulness:
- 2 rounded wire leads separated by a short distance
- connect standard household frequency (60Hz in the US) AC to the wire
leads
- measure current flow through the circuit which could only be
completed by plasma charge carriers
- optionally provide a current limiting resistor
- vary the wire gap and AC voltage to learn more about the plasma
density

A Langmuir probe sweeps a high frequency DC voltage and measures the
resulting current, again provided by the charge carriers in the
plasma. With high speed data gathering, the current-voltage curve
allows plasma density and temperature to be calculated. My needs are
simpler: quantitatively compare 2 designs for plasma production.
Density would be good to know but temperature is not needed at this
stage.

Ideas and comments most welcome.

-Wes