Is magnetic flux quantified only in superconductors?

Jarek Duda

Oct 29, 2009, 12:38:57 PM10/29/09

While considering superconductors, it is generally accepted that there
are created fluxons - some natural number of quantas of magnetic
flux.
I wanted to ask if the situation isn't more general - is magnetic flux
quantified also in vacuum?
It is suggested by Aharonov-Bohm effect as in superconductors - that
the change of quantum phase is proportional to integral of
electromagnetic potential along this path and when we make a loop this
way, the phase has to make some integer number of rotations - this
number looks to be the number of flux quantas going through this loop.
If it's true, for example lines on nice animation on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_reconnection
could be really physical.
If we would give them energy density per length, it would be intuitive
that while these reconnections are released bursts of energy (they are
quickly shorten).
Another argument that they should be quantified is that while we would
track along such magnetic line, we should finally get to a single
particles (fermions).
Treating them seriously could for example explain fermion pairing
(like Cooper pairs, electrons in orbitals) or atomic selection rules:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.2724

What do you think about it?