Jefimenko on the advanced solution to Maxwell's equations?

john mcandrew

Apr 29, 2021, 6:07:47 PMApr 29
There's a post in the newsgroup sci.physics.relativity called: "Jefimenko on Causality and Physical Laws" where Tom Roberts makes the important point that the fields can also be expressed in terms of the advanced solution to Maxwell's equations:
https://groups.google.com/g/sci.physics.relativity/c/KEV9NN6ObHc/m/GRumQHEnBAAJ

Does Jefimenko mention the advanced version of his equations in any of his papers or books?

JMcA

VoxFox

Apr 30, 2021, 1:39:14 PMApr 30
Jefimenko's logic is that the FUTURE impacts the present, as well as the Past.
The only difference is that our memories are organic and take time to grow
forward into OUR individual future. So, we simplify our Causality model.

Jos Bergervoet

May 1, 2021, 2:34:02 PMMay 1
Good question. (The difference can be nothing more than a few
minus signs here and there, of course.)

On a more fundamental level, I doubt that Jefimenko's equations
give more insight in past-and-future questions than the other
approaches to electrodynamics. He just expresses the fields
directly in terms of the sources in a closed-form expression,
whereas the alternative is to first use an equation for the
potentials and from there derive the fields, so it is nothing
but a substitution exercise (although it is surprising that
the result are still fairly concise and readable equations!)

On the other hand, you could argue that Jefimenko's elimination
of for potentials and therefore of the arbitrary gauge choice may
be important. But classically, this gauge is just a completely
arbitrary function of space and time, which is not determined by
the past or the future at all, so for past-and-future questions
also that will not help, I guess (and anyhow the analysis should
then be QM-based in view of the Aharanov-Bohm effect.)

--
Jos