Spectral lines coming from the tap

michael....@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2016, 12:57:36 AM11/5/16
Aside from the normal strong 60 Hz and 120 Hz lines from pump motors or nearby wiring, I notice several broadband noise lines in the 1-2kHz band coming from the tap. Any idea what these are from? https://s12.postimg.org/9lxltsja3/waterfaucet.png

Thanks,

Michael Sabino

Scott Dorsey

Nov 8, 2016, 11:02:57 AM11/8/16
This is off an accelerometer put on a water faucet? Likely it's whistling
in the pipes... put your head to the faucet while it's turned off and some
other faucet in the building is turned on and you can likely hear it.
--scott

Ange

Dec 20, 2016, 1:54:31 PM12/20/16
The water valve orifice is acting as a "jet-edge whistle"
http://citeweb.info/19530009481

Scott Dorsey

Jan 11, 2017, 1:58:37 PM1/11/17
Ange <a.camp...@att.net> wrote:
>On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 12:57:36 AM UTC-4, michael....@gmail.com wrote:
>> Aside from the normal strong 60 Hz and 120 Hz lines from pump motors or nearby wiring, I notice several broadband noise lines in the 1-2kHz band coming from the tap. Any idea what these are from? https://s12.postimg.org/9lxltsja3/waterfaucet.png
>>
>The water valve orifice is acting as a "jet-edge whistle"
>http://citeweb.info/19530009481

Indeed. I can close my eyes at night and hear plumbing sounds conducted from
other parts of the building. It's like a big musical instrument.