I've been accepted to the Ph.D.

David Dalton

Jun 5, 2015, 12:01:55 AM6/5/15
I recently found out that I have been accepted to resume
my Ph.D. in geophysics at Memorial University of
Newfoundland in September. I won't have to do any more
courses and won't have to repeat my candidacy exam,
and I have been granted a full fellowship. But it
is not yet clear whether I will resume the same
topic that I was studying in the spring of 2004
or write a new thesis proposal. If I stick with
the same topic I may be finished in two years;
if I switch to a new topic it might take slightly
longer. Regardless my research will be supervised
by Michael Slawinski and will be in the area of applied
math/theoretical seismology/continuum mechanics/anisotropy.

--
David Dalton dal...@nfld.com http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"It is time for you to laugh instead of crying

HVAC

Jun 5, 2015, 6:58:25 AM6/5/15
On 6/5/2015 12:01 AM, David Dalton wrote:
> I recently found out that I have been accepted to resume
> my Ph.D. in geophysics at Memorial University of
> Newfoundland in September. I won't have to do any more
> courses and won't have to repeat my candidacy exam,
> and I have been granted a full fellowship. But it
> is not yet clear whether I will resume the same
> topic that I was studying in the spring of 2004
> or write a new thesis proposal. If I stick with
> the same topic I may be finished in two years;
> if I switch to a new topic it might take slightly
> longer. Regardless my research will be supervised
> by Michael Slawinski and will be in the area of applied
> math/theoretical seismology/continuum mechanics/anisotropy.

Congratulations Dave!

--
Cut off one head, two more shall take its place.
HAIL HYDRA!

Sam Wormley

Jun 5, 2015, 9:15:15 AM6/5/15
On 6/4/15 11:01 PM, David Dalton wrote:
> I recently found out that I have been accepted to resume
> my Ph.D. in geophysics at Memorial University of
> Newfoundland in September. I won't have to do any more
> courses and won't have to repeat my candidacy exam,
> and I have been granted a full fellowship. But it
> is not yet clear whether I will resume the same
> topic that I was studying in the spring of 2004
> or write a new thesis proposal. If I stick with
> the same topic I may be finished in two years;
> if I switch to a new topic it might take slightly
> longer. Regardless my research will be supervised
> by Michael Slawinski and will be in the area of applied
> math/theoretical seismology/continuum mechanics/anisotropy.

Very good.

--

sci.physics is an unmoderated newsgroup dedicated to the discussion
of physics, news from the physics community, and physics-related

Ange

Jun 10, 2015, 4:45:55 PM6/10/15
Despite the fact that 10 years+ have lapsed since your last efforts on the topic, In my opinion you should first completely update your knowledge on the very subject you chose back then, scanning journals and publications sources for related materials. Research and development both follow very jerky and unsteady accomplishment paths. Expect anything, but most importantly, you need to be a true researcher and to first investigate just as you would have done then. Consistency is good in research... it will all come clear. In all likelihood someone may have nibbled on the periphery of your topic, but not brought it to your old goal. Or they did most of what you said, and you see the problem more clearly and can update and perform to an advanced goal on the same topic. Geology and earth science are advancing at a slow pace... Space and the oceans have been front page topics for too many decades. It's time that knowledge of the earth's interior gets a fair share of new development, I say!

Angelo Campanella

David Dalton

Jul 7, 2015, 10:42:16 PM7/7/15
In article <40b97ef7-b983-4be9...@googlegroups.com>,
Part of the reason they are allowing me to simply resume
the Ph.D. after over ten years away is that for most of
the intervening years I have been employed as a part
time research assistant, mainly doing proofreading of
mathematical geophysics documents for my supervisor.
Thus I am familiar with the work of his research group
of the past ten years and am a little familiar with
works they have cited.

--
David Dalton dal...@nfld.com http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"Was it in your higher wisdom/that you turned your light from me/Or was

Ange

Jan 10, 2016, 7:26:32 PM1/10/16
Dear David:

Ok... Go for it! True, it looks like you have a leg-up on the field... But the real progress will come after you identify a bona-fide research topic and then pursue it with good old-fashioned ZEAL. I wish I knew what you are choosing.. I like to rap on these earnest research topics. It's mostly grunt work, with an inspiration here and there. It helps to pray for guidance from time to time. God always provides. Try it!

In Christ,

Angelo Campanella