Cactus Communications

David Dalton

Jan 9, 2019, 1:40:44 AM1/9/19
I’m thinking of applying for a position as a freelance editor with
Cactus Communications until I can land a postdoctoral
fellowship.

Does anyone on here have any experience with them and if
so, do you recommend them or not?

--
David Dalton dal...@nfld.com http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)

David Dalton

Jan 10, 2019, 12:21:50 AM1/10/19
On Jan 9, 2019, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote
(in article<6dae05bb-9b7a-1ba1...@PointedEars.de>):

> David Dalton amok-crossposted to five newsgroups for the nth time:
>
> > I’m thinking of applying for a position as a freelance editor with
> > Cactus Communications until I can land a postdoctoral
> > fellowship.
> >
> > Does anyone on here have any experience with them and if
> > so, do you recommend them or not?
>
> Congratulations to your degree and all, but:
>
> This is NOT your personal private free all-topics support forum.
>
> F’up2 poster

Don’t get your knickers in a knot.

And you are not the self-appointed moderator of an unmoderated newsgroup.

Crossposting is preferable to multiposting when the topic is of interest to
all groups and when the post is unlikely to result in a flame war between
groups.

Cactus Communications advertises for freelance editors/proofreaders in the
area of Physical Sciences and Mathematics on Research Gate and thus I thought
that SOME readers in the science groups that I posted to might know something
about them. Also LaTeX skills should be useful in such editing so I also
posted to comp.text.tex.

--
David Dalton dal...@nfld.com http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“Yonder stands your orphan with his gun/Crying like a fire in the sun/Look

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jan 10, 2019, 9:30:40 AM1/10/19
David Dalton amok-crossposted to five newsgroups for the (n+1)-th time:
> On Jan 9, 2019, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote
> (in article<6dae05bb-9b7a-1ba1...@PointedEars.de>):

Attribution _line_, NOT attribution novel.

>> David Dalton amok-crossposted to five newsgroups for the nth time:
>>> I’m thinking of applying for a position as a freelance editor with
>>> Cactus Communications until I can land a postdoctoral
>>> fellowship.
>>>
>>> Does anyone on here have any experience with them and if
>>> so, do you recommend them or not?
>>
>> Congratulations to your degree and all, but:
>>
>> This is NOT your personal private free all-topics support forum.
>>
>> F’up2 poster
>
> Don’t get your knickers in a knot.
>
> And you are not the self-appointed moderator of an unmoderated newsgroup.

I am another netizen, who happens to be a regular (Usenet contributor),
who is giving you friendly advice that what you are doing is considered
inappropriate, and letting other people know at the same time. I have been
contributing to Usenet for 19 years now, so I think I can tell what the
consensus is. You can also actually read Usenet manuals to see this confirmed.

I can also tell you that by behaving like an egotistical dork like this you
are not increasing your chances of getting a job. Yours is NOT the
professional behavior that an employer would expect from a person with a PhD.

Also, because I figured you might be new in Usenet and might not know this,
I had set and announced Followup-To poster so that we could resolve this in
private. Why did you circumvent that?

> Crossposting is preferable to multiposting when the topic is of interest to
> all groups and when the post is unlikely to result in a flame war between
> groups.

NOT across *five* newsgroups, NOT *without* Followup-To *one* newsgroup
(where it is most on-topic), NOT across top-level hierarchies (if it can be
avoide), and NOT if the topic is basically only of interest *to you*.

What you have done is approaching or amounting to excessive crossposting
(XCP), tantamount to spamming. (Therefore, there are NetNews providers who
technically prevent crossposting to more than four newsgroups, or crossposts
without Followup-To. Your provider apparently just is not among them.)

These are the Terms of Use of your provider:

<https://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=terms>

> Cactus Communications advertises for freelance editors/proofreaders in the
> area of Physical Sciences and Mathematics on Research Gate and thus I thought
> that SOME readers in the science groups that I posted to might know something
> about them. Also LaTeX skills should be useful in such editing so I also
> posted to comp.text.tex.

But, to begin with, informing the general public about this company is NOT
what you *were* doing (and it would be spam regardless, except in newsgroups
where advertisements are explicitly allowed by the charter). So this is
just a lame excuse on your part, and you know it.

As Peter da Silva purportedly said (I know only a German-speaking rephrasing
attributed to him; translated from that here):

“No article in the world is relevant for more than
a few newsgroups. If World War Ⅲ is announced,
it will be announced in news.announce.important.”

You have been warned.

F‘up2 poster again

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jan 17, 2019, 12:43:31 PM1/17/19
Thomas:
> No article in the world is relevant for more than
> a few newsgroups. If World War Ⅲ is announced,
> it will be announced in news.announce.important.

You should move to China, Russia, or North Korea,
where they love censorship as much as you do.