Studying Ontological Arguments with Computers: The Logic and Religion Webinar, May 12

1 view

Francisco de Assis Mariano

May 10, 2022, 11:35:14 AM5/10/22
Dear Colleague,

You are invited to participate in the next session of the Logic and Religion Webinar Series which will be held on May 12, 2022, at 4:00 pm CET with the topic:

Studying Ontological Arguments with Computers
Speaker: Christoph Benzmueller (University of Bamberg & FU Berlin)
Chair: Andrea Vestrucci (Graduate Theological Union, USA)

Please register in advance!
https://www.logicandreligion.com/webinars

Abstract: Several emendations of Gödel's modal ontological argument have been proposed persevering the intended conclusion of God's necessary existence while avoiding the problem of modal collapse, which expresses that there are no contingent truths (everything is determined, there is no free will). In this webinar, we summarize recent computer-supported verification studies on some of these modern variants of the ontological argument. Our purpose is to provide further evidence that the interaction with computer technology can not only enable the formal assessment of ontological arguments but can, in fact, help to sharpen our conceptual understanding of the notions and concepts involved.

With best wishes,
Francisco de Assis Mariano
The University of Missouri-Columbia
LARA Secretary