OpTaliX - Any experiences with this Software?

Christian Hilmer

Nov 18, 2002, 8:49:46 AM11/18/02
Has anybody gained experiences with the optics design software OpTaliX
from AstrionSoft ?

Maybe even in comparison to other programs like ZEMAX, Code V or OSLO?

The price of OpTaliX (800 Euro for the Pro-version) seems to be quite
competitive.
According to it's documentation it offers about the same functionality
as ZEMAX, in some regions even more.

I'am especially interested in

- the stability of the program (under Windows XP)
- any Bugs ?
- the reliability and accuracy of it's computations
- the practical usefullnes and implemented functionality compared to
other programs
- compatibility to other programs via import/export filters
- and any experiances with support, updates ...

The program will be used in the design of analytical optic measurement
devices such as spectrometers and RImeters.

Jim Klein

Nov 18, 2002, 7:20:47 PM11/18/02
c.hi...@softron.de (Christian Hilmer) wrote:

>Has anybody gained experiences with the optics design software OpTaliX
>from AstrionSoft ?
>
>Maybe even in comparison to other programs like ZEMAX, Code V or OSLO?
>
>The price of OpTaliX (800 Euro for the Pro-version) seems to be quite
>competitive.
>According to it's documentation it offers about the same functionality
>as ZEMAX, in some regions even more.

Anything would be better than ZEMAX!

H.J.P. Vink

Nov 19, 2002, 2:11:50 AM11/19/02
What a nice constructive answer. I suppose that roadrunner is the answer to
all the problems?

(couldn't resist)

R.Vink.

"Jim Klein" <acmeo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

BueK

Nov 19, 2002, 5:50:23 AM11/19/02
c.hi...@softron.de (Christian Hilmer) wrote in message news:<2476400e.02111...@posting.google.com>...

I am a OpTaliX-Pro user and find usability easy. Except from a few
(small) GUI glitches the program runs stable on my machine.
I could achieve meaningful results in fiber coupling analysis.
In particular I like the option of having separate optimization
methods.

The Zemax import filter, which I am using quite frequently, works
fine.
Outstanding is the export capability, which allows me to exchange my
designs
with colleagues (Code-V user).

I consider support very good, I always got friendly responses within
one day.
The manual also gives the theory in a condensed form, but also gives
detailled
references.

What I am missing is Monte Carlo statistical tolerancing. Also nice
would
be default constraints for optimization.

As the preferred OS I am using Linux and I would also like to see a
version of OpTaliX for Linux (Distribution?).

Jim Klein

Nov 19, 2002, 7:32:41 AM11/19/02
Maybe, maybe not but I'd start painting houses for a living if the
only optical design program available was ZEMIN.