Refractive index of acetone, heptane, methanol, ethanol

texnic

May 25, 2011, 3:26:35 AM5/25/11
Gday,

I wonder if anyone can point me to a source of refractive index data
of acetone, heptane, methanol, ethanol in the range of 800...1100 nm.
The data (except for heptane) is readily available till 800...830 nm,
but not beyond that. There was an old (1990ers) post in this group
pointing to a Russian-American measurement of refractive index of a
few liquids, but they didn't measure these ones.

Thanks in advance!
Kotya

Salmon Egg

May 25, 2011, 8:39:36 PM5/25/11
In article
<a0f7f412-34e2-42fa...@l30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
texnic <kotya.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

How have you searched so far? Rubber Handbook? Critical Tables?
Landolt-Bornstein (sp)? Chemical Abstracts?

Bill

--
If inflation is under control, why is my dollar now worth only 2¢ of my youth?

I considered huge valuegains for electronics.

texnic

May 27, 2011, 3:16:37 AM5/27/11
> How have you searched so far? Rubber Handbook? Critical Tables?
> Landolt-Bornstein (sp)? Chemical Abstracts?

I've searched on the internet and in the papers. Thought that if those
would be available, they should have been measured by someone. But
apart from doi:10.1117/12.188006 and therein cited doi:
10.1117/12.165230 there is nothing. The authors haven't published any
ethanol, methanol or acetone data however (probably because they were
not interesting from their point of view).

I'll check the references you mentioned. Thanks.

Kotya

brakadabras

May 27, 2011, 11:02:40 AM5/27/11
On May 27, 3:16 am, texnic <kotya.karapet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How have you searched so far? Rubber Handbook? Critical Tables?
> > Landolt-Bornstein (sp)? Chemical Abstracts?

xxxxx

> I'll check the references you mentioned. Thanks.

Look for an old edition of Handbook of Optics circa 1978. This book is
filled with tables. It might have refractive indexes of your liquids
in NIR.

texnic

May 28, 2011, 4:08:11 PM5/28/11
> How have you searched so far? Rubber Handbook? Critical Tables?
> Landolt-Bornstein (sp)? Chemical Abstracts?
>
> Look for an old edition of Handbook of Optics circa 1978. This book is
> filled with tables. It might have refractive indexes of your liquids
> in NIR.

In vain. It seems chemists do not care about IR or, perhaps,
dispersion in general. All reference books (saw Handbook of Optics,
CRC Handbook, Landolt-Boernstein) give refractive indices at 589 nm,
if any at all. I was unable to check the current versions of the
Critical Tables and Chemical Abstracts, though.

However am I wrong to think that if the dispersion values have been
measured, they should have been published in papers as well? Besides
those Russian measurements that do not include "my" liquids and the
Rheims measurement cited in refractiveindex.info, which doesn't go
beyond 830 nm, I couldn't find anything.

The heptane refractive index is probably available in the Industrial
Solvents Handbook, but we don't have access to it. I wonder if anyone
here has. It's all here http://www.knovel.com/web/portal/main and the
search terms are 'acetone (ethanol, methanol, heptane) refractive

p.ki...@ic.ac.uk

Jun 2, 2011, 10:36:39 AM6/2/11
texnic <kotya.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The heptane refractive index is probably available in the Industrial
> Solvents Handbook, but we don't have access to it. I wonder if anyone
> here has. It's all here http://www.knovel.com/web/portal/main and the
> search terms are 'acetone (ethanol, methanol, heptane) refractive

From a quick scan online, the ISH has single "Literature values" of
refractive index only (I looked at just acetone and heptane).

--
---------------------------------+---------------------------------
Dr. Paul Kinsler

texnic

Jun 4, 2011, 9:35:44 AM6/4/11
On Jun 2, 4:36 pm, p.kins...@ic.ac.uk wrote:

> texnic <kotya.karapet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The heptane refractive index is probably available in the Industrial
> > Solvents Handbook, but we don't have access to it. I wonder if anyone
> > here has. It's all herehttp://www.knovel.com/web/portal/mainand the

> > search terms are 'acetone (ethanol, methanol, heptane) refractive
>
> From a quick scan online, the ISH has single "Literature values" of
> refractive index only (I looked at just acetone and heptane).

Paul, thanks a lot! That's what I suspect already and what is once
again confirmed. The publishers want hundreds of euros for their
reference books, and unless I buy all of them, I cannot be sure that
the value is not known.

So I hope my search for scientific publications where the measurements
would have been reported is enough to conclude these values are
unknown. Now we have to decide what to do next.

I wonder if there are commercial devices to precisely measure the
refractive index in near-IR. Then may be we could ask the
manufacturers to measure these liquids for us...

texnic

Jun 5, 2011, 5:04:07 AM6/5/11
I repost an answer I've received at
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/10271/refractive-index-of-organic-solvents-in-near-infrared: