Thankyou America!

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Apologies for posting off-topic, but on behalf of the rest of the world I
would just like to express our heartfelt thanks to the citizens of the
United States of America for their generous provision of entertainment over
the last few days. "Electing a President" could soon rival football (soccer)
as the world's favourite spectator sport, being a combination of almost
shakesperian drama with comedic moments that might rival Monty Python. Each
twist and turn brings a chuckle to the throat and a tear to the eye - true
quality!

It has been extremely entertaining and here in the UK it has been
particularly appreciated as it has helped distract us from the recent round
of storms and floods. I propose that the rest of the world have a whip-round
to buy America a big box of chocolates!

We thank you all!

--
Peter D Rieden
(aka PDR)

Steven James Forsberg

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00

: It has been extremely entertaining and here in the UK it has been

: particularly appreciated as it has helped distract us from the recent round
: of storms and floods. I propose that the rest of the world have a whip-round
: to buy America a big box of chocolates!

Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
the fundamentals of "western" governence. I mean, not knowing who is
going to be running the nation next week is par for the course for a
nation whose leader might be ejected at the drop of a "no confidence"
vote. We may have Florida, but we acknowledge that the English were
the inventors of the "rotten borough'. And then there were the mad
kings who have so inspried our own leadership... :-) :-)

All we need now is wigs...

regards,

-----------------------------------
sjfo...@bayou.uh.edu wizard 87-01

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
In article <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>,

Steven James Forsberg <sjfo...@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
> All we need now is wigs...

"whigs", surely?

Nobody needs Tories.

--
Andy Breen ~ PPARC Advanced Research Fellow, Interplanetary Scintillation
Solar Physics Group, UW Aberystwyth

Peter Skelton

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
sjfo...@Bayou.UH.EDU (Steven James Forsberg) wrote:

>: It has been extremely entertaining and here in the UK it has been
>: particularly appreciated as it has helped distract us from the recent round
>: of storms and floods. I propose that the rest of the world have a whip-round
>: to buy America a big box of chocolates!
>
> Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
>the fundamentals of "western" governence. I mean, not knowing who is
>going to be running the nation next week is par for the course for a
>nation whose leader might be ejected at the drop of a "no confidence"
>vote. We may have Florida, but we acknowledge that the English were
>the inventors of the "rotten borough'. And then there were the mad
>kings who have so inspried our own leadership... :-) :-)
>

> All we need now is wigs...

Just ask Tina, she'll help you out.

(She can put on a mid-length skirt, flip her wig and walk unrecognized
anywhere - a really brilliant bit of misdirection that thing is.)
--
Peter Skelton

B F Lake

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Steven James Forsberg <sjfo...@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote in article <

> All we need now is wigs...

The Russians might still have some. But why go there when you can get the
Spruce Goose going again?

Regards,
Barry

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Steven James Forsberg wrote in message <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>...

> Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
>the fundamentals of "western" governence.

It's all part of our cunning plan to induce America to return to the fold
and take its proper place under the Crown...<BG>

>I mean, not knowing who is going to be running the nation next week is par
for the course for a
>nation whose leader might be ejected at the drop of a "no confidence"
>vote.

Can you think of a better incentive to prevent another Nixon/Clinton (delete
according to political preference)? You have to actually prove your
president did something illegal before you can get rid of him/her - we
merely have to prove we don't like him/her...<BG>

>We may have Florida, but we acknowledge that the English were
>the inventors of the "rotten borough'.

...and indeed the "Robber Button" (with due acknowledgement to Mr BA)

> And then there were the mad kings who have so inspried our own
leadership...

You certainly seem to have taken the style to heart!<BG> Did you know that
the film about George the Third was originally going to be called "The
madness of King George III", but the US distributors insisted it was changed
to "The madness of King George" to avoid a flood of enquiries about the
previous two films...!

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote in message <8ugudj$a1uf$1...@central.aber.ac.uk>...
>Nobody needs Tories.

Amen to that - 18 years was QUITE long enough!

Keith Willshaw

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00

"Peter D Rieden" <Peter....@bae.co.uk> wrote in message

> ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote in message <8ugudj$a1uf$1...@central.aber.ac.uk>...
> >Nobody needs Tories.
>
> Amen to that - 18 years was QUITE long enough!

It sounds like you believe Blair isnt a Tory :)

Keith

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Keith Willshaw wrote in message
<8uh1s9$9d9$1...@sshuraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com>...

>It sounds like you believe Blair isnt a Tory :)

I won't say that I agree with everything that Blair does, nor do I
necessarily believe everything that he says, but these things are relative.
Blair may cause me to suffer the odd period of annoyance, but Major and
Thatcher cuased me to seriously consider getting into the subversion and
terrorism business. There is a world of difference, but people forget
incredibly quickly.

As for subjecting Hague to the travails of governmental responsibility, I
could never condone such an act of extreme child abuse...<G>

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
In article <3a0c1330$1...@pull.gecm.com>,

Peter D Rieden <Peter....@bae.co.uk> wrote:

>As for subjecting Hague to the travails of governmental responsibility, I
>could never condone such an act of extreme child abuse...<G>

Steve Bell refers.

:)

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote in message <8uh4jv$aivi$1...@central.aber.ac.uk>...

>Steve Bell refers.

Regrettably I have not kept up on the cartoon strips in recent years - Do I
presume this has been the general thrust of his representation of the
Bandwagon Kid?

<BG>

Andy Hartley

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
In article <8uh4jv$aivi$1...@central.aber.ac.uk>,

a...@aber.ac.uk (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN) wrote:
> In article <3a0c1330$1...@pull.gecm.com>,
> Peter D Rieden <Peter....@bae.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >As for subjecting Hague to the travails of governmental
responsibility, I
> >could never condone such an act of extreme child abuse...<G>
>
> Steve Bell refers.
>
> :)

God, I need to get back in the habit of watching Question Time on
C-SPAN. The Times and The Economist aren't quite keeping me up
here. :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Al Gerharter

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
You're quite welcome, Peter. We are enjoying it too. Al

e recent round
> of storms and floods. I propose that the rest of the world have a
whip-round
> to buy America a big box of chocolates!
>

> We thank you all!

Stephen M. Willis

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
You Brits do it so much better. I really miss those election night returns and
videos of Labor Party yada yada, Conservative Party, yada-yada, Liberal Party,
yada-yada, Spam Lovers Party......Silly Kinckers Party......Colonic Irrigation
Party.....

Peter D Rieden wrote:

> Apologies for posting off-topic, but on behalf of the rest of the world I
> would just like to express our heartfelt thanks to the citizens of the
> United States of America for their generous provision of entertainment over
> the last few days. "Electing a President" could soon rival football (soccer)
> as the world's favourite spectator sport, being a combination of almost
> shakesperian drama with comedic moments that might rival Monty Python. Each
> twist and turn brings a chuckle to the throat and a tear to the eye - true
> quality!
>

> It has been extremely entertaining and here in the UK it has been

> particularly appreciated as it has helped distract us from the recent round

redc1c4

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Peter D Rieden wrote:

> Steven James Forsberg wrote in message <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>...
> > Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
> >the fundamentals of "western" governence.
>
> It's all part of our cunning plan to induce America to return to the fold
> and take its proper place under the Crown...<BG>
(snipage occurs)

so ER prefers to be on top, eh? having seen her pic's i think doggy
style would be the only way that might have a chance of success... %-)

redc1c4,
definitely a two bagger, she is.
--
"I am not worth purchasing, but such as I am, the king of Great Britain
is not rich enough to do it."

William Black

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
redc1c4 <red...@drunkenbastards.org.ies> wrote in message

> so ER prefers to be on top, eh? having seen her pic's i think doggy
> style would be the only way that might have a chance of success... %-)

Well the guy she married went from Captain RN to Admiral of the Fleet
overnight, and they never retire and stay on full pay

So you'd do as you were bloody told.

--
William Black
--------------------------------------

John W.

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Sour grapes for the loss of the Empire.

Jim Herring

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote:

> In article <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>,

> Steven James Forsberg <sjfo...@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
> > All we need now is wigs...
>

> "whigs", surely?
>
> Nobody needs Tories.

There was an American Whig party about 160 years ago, William H. Harrison (1840)
and Zachary Taylor (1848) won. We kicked out the Tories in the late 1780's,
during some disagreement with some island off France. :)

--
Jim

carry on

Neill McKay

Nov 10, 2000, 7:03:45 PM11/10/00
"John W." wrote:

> Sour grapes for the loss of the Empire.

I wouldn't imagine so; empires are damn expensive, and a fair bit of
trouble in modern times. They're probably quite glad to be rid of you
guys, in particular! :)

Neill McKay

--
Neill McKay, BScE, EIT, ASCSCE
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Michael P. Reed

Nov 11, 2000, 1:12:23 AM11/11/00
In article <3A0CDA2E...@bga.com>,
Jim Herring <mus...@bga.com> wrote:

> There was an American Whig party about 160 years ago, William H. Harrison (1840)
> and Zachary Taylor (1848) won. We kicked out the Tories in the late 1780's,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
By late, I assume you mean early. <g>

--
Regards,
Michael P. Reed

Reply to mpreedattdi.net

Brian Allardice

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <3a0c1330$1...@pull.gecm.com>, Peter....@bae.co.uk says...

>Keith Willshaw wrote in message
><8uh1s9$9d9$1...@sshuraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com>...
>>
>>It sounds like you believe Blair isnt a Tory :)

Forget Blair... What about Jack [Adolf] Straw. To the right of Haider.... who
needs trial by jury, ve haf judges who can sort it alle out......... Christ,
and this is the Labour Party.......???????? (but don't mention the war....)

Cheers,
dba

Brian Allardice

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <8uh8jq$6vt$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, andr...@aol.com says...

>God, I need to get back in the habit of watching Question Time on
>C-SPAN. The Times and The Economist aren't quite keeping me up
>here. :)

Now, now, the US networks are the idiots who 'called' Florida for Gore, no-one,
Bush, no-one &c....

Mind you, I used to love the Times, but it has moved so far down market that
only the lack of a pg.3 distinguishes it from the Sun....

It's fun to see the Yanks finally topple over into third-worldism.... A tight
vote, ok..... a recount, OK, but shrieking morons protesting that they were too
stupid to fill in a ballot that (as an experiment) my 12 year old son managed
first time [hey, kid! Vote fore Gore.... Christ Dad, there's the arrow, now
bugger off, I'm playing Nintendo with my friends.....] makes you kinda
wonder.... pretty pathetic....

Cheers,
dba

Andrew Chaplin

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Tex Bennett wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:48:41 -0600, "Stephen M. Willis"
> <swi...@tambcd.edu> wrote:
>
> >You Brits do it so much better. I really miss those election night returns and
> >videos of Labor Party yada yada, Conservative Party, yada-yada, Liberal Party,
> >yada-yada, Spam Lovers Party......Silly Kinckers Party......Colonic Irrigation
> >Party.....
>
> Sensible Party, Silly Party and the Very Silly Party candidate in the
> block of concrete.....

Canada has boasted the Rhino Party (its leader was Cornelius the
rhinocerous at the Toronto Zoo) the Natural Law Party (it will bring
peace and prosperity to Canada and the world through yogic flying) and
now the Marijuana Party (a single issue party about guess what) that I
expect will out-poll the Communists.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Andy Ashworth

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

> Steven James Forsberg wrote in message <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>...
> > Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
> >the fundamentals of "western" governence.
>
> It's all part of our cunning plan to induce America to return to the fold
> and take its proper place under the Crown...<BG>

Heard on Radio the morning the whole debacle was first reported:

"America's revolutionary experiment is over - look's like its time to rejoin
the Commonwealth"

Andy

Ogden Johnson III

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Andrew Chaplin <abch...@yourfinger.home.com> wrote:

>now the Marijuana Party (a single issue party about guess what) that I
>expect will out-poll the Communists.

As is only to be expected, since the constituency for marijuana vastly
outnumbers that for Communism.

OJ III

Eugene Griessel

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

What a potty statement. It's all smoke without fire. The idea should
be put out to grass.

Eugene L Griessel eug...@dynagen.co.za

www.dynagen.co.za/eugene
SAAF Crashboat Page - www.dynagen.co.za/eugene/eug3.htm
Snake Page - www.web.netactive.co.za/~sean

Peter Skelton

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Andrew Chaplin <abch...@yourfinger.home.com> wrote:

>Tex Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:48:41 -0600, "Stephen M. Willis"
>> <swi...@tambcd.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >You Brits do it so much better. I really miss those election night returns and
>> >videos of Labor Party yada yada, Conservative Party, yada-yada, Liberal Party,
>> >yada-yada, Spam Lovers Party......Silly Kinckers Party......Colonic Irrigation
>> >Party.....
>>
>> Sensible Party, Silly Party and the Very Silly Party candidate in the
>> block of concrete.....
>
>Canada has boasted the Rhino Party (its leader was Cornelius the
>rhinocerous at the Toronto Zoo) the Natural Law Party (it will bring
>peace and prosperity to Canada and the world through yogic flying) and

>now the Marijuana Party (a single issue party about guess what) that I
>expect will out-poll the Communists.

When I lived in Lachine the Rhinos outpolled the PC's, the second of the
main-line parties at the time.

Their platform in the mid-eighties included moving to driving on the left
side of the road, sensibly moving to the majority. The implementation,
however, was a phased in approach, trucks the first year, cars later.
--
Peter Skelton

Greg McFadden

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Amen. If you are too stupid to fill out a ballot, then tough luck!

"Brian Allardice" <d...@uniserve.com> wrote in message

wa...@netcomuk.co.uk

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
This is the standard pattern for the ex colonies unfortunately. We give
them the book on how to run a democracy, it works for a few years then it
all goes pear shaped - Uganda, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe...and now the
States! :)

wa...@netcomuk.co.uk

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

> What a potty statement. It's all smoke without fire. The idea should
> be put out to grass.

Groan! LOL

Eugene Griessel

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
wa...@netcomuk.co.uk wrote:

>This is the standard pattern for the ex colonies unfortunately. We give
>them the book on how to run a democracy, it works for a few years then it
>all goes pear shaped - Uganda, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe...and now the
>States! :)

And they can't even make a decent cuppa there anymore either.

Yeff

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <3a0d9860...@news.iafrica.com>,
Eugene Griessel<eug...@dynagen.co.za> wrote in
sci.military.naval:

> And they can't even make a decent cuppa there anymore either.

Cuppa? At least we can finish a sente
;-)

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Brian Allardice

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <3a0d8255.82976483@news>, skel...@home.com says...

>When I lived in Lachine the Rhinos outpolled the PC's, the second of the
>main-line parties at the time.
>
>Their platform in the mid-eighties included moving to driving on the left
>side of the road, sensibly moving to the majority. The implementation,
>however, was a phased in approach, trucks the first year, cars later.

Hell! I lived in Lachine then AND I was one of the Rhino voters! It is a sad
commentary on the viciousness of Canadian political life that in revenge for
this great victory our leader was exiled to San Diego zoo.

Cheers,
dba

Jim Herring

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
"Michael P. Reed" wrote:

> In article <3A0CDA2E...@bga.com>,
> Jim Herring <mus...@bga.com> wrote:
>
> > There was an American Whig party about 160 years ago, William H. Harrison (1840)
> > and Zachary Taylor (1848) won. We kicked out the Tories in the late 1780's,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> By late, I assume you mean early. <g>

Yeah, I always get got with the details.

--
Jim

carry on

Jim Herring

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Brian Allardice wrote:

> Hell! I lived in Lachine then AND I was one of the Rhino voters! It is a sad
> commentary on the viciousness of Canadian political life that in revenge for
> this great victory our leader was exiled to San Diego zoo.

It seems he saw the light. BTW, San Diego went for Bush. Smart the rhino. :)

--
Jim

carry on

Jim C

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Kinda knee-jerk reaction, isn't it? Wait till you get there age wise and
see for yourself. Fortunately, I am not there yet, but I've had parents who
were and I my 84 year old father in law had to ask for help three times when
voting this week in Texas. He's no dummy either, but gets a little confused
at his age. Fortunately the poll workers in his precinct were willing to
explain things to him.....again, three times. He takes his "duty" to vote
seriously and was well prepared on the issues and candidates. .
Unfortunately the poll workers in W Palm Beach wouldn't help those with
similar problems, all 19k of them. Hardly American.
Too stupid to fill out a ballot, uhuh? You shouldn't believe everything El
Rusbo wails about.
Jim

Greg McFadden <arch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Brian Sharrock

Nov 12, 2000, 2:28:24 AM11/12/00
Just jumping into the thread, and posing
a _serious_ on-topic question;-

While the world waits the ten days allowed
for Floridian postal votes to arrive and
with the presumption that many of these
will be from navy &/+ marines ... I wondered;-

Do the absentee (postal), and military,
voters utilise the same procedures as at
their 'precint'(?) polling station?
In other words; are any 'Palm Beach Co.'
(fr'instance) service voters punching a card
or do they mark a mult-page ballot form?

If they mark a form, who transcribes it
onto a punched card? ... a part volounteer or
some notarised official ...the world wonders!

I understand from the media (CNN, Fox, BBC)
that the card used needs to be used in
combination with a 'book' of pages ...
but can't believe that such contraptions
are held as ship's inventory ... not
considering the 50 states plus the district
having differnt processes.

Brian Sharrock

Andre Lieven

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Brian Allardice (d...@uniserve.com) writes:
> In article <3a0d8255.82976483@news>, skel...@home.com says...
>
>>When I lived in Lachine the Rhinos outpolled the PC's, the second of the
>>main-line parties at the time.
>>
>>Their platform in the mid-eighties included moving to driving on the left
>>side of the road, sensibly moving to the majority. The implementation,
>>however, was a phased in approach, trucks the first year, cars later.
>
> Hell! I lived in Lachine then AND I was one of the Rhino voters! It is a sad
> commentary on the viciousness of Canadian political life that in revenge for
> this great victory our leader was exiled to San Diego zoo.

At that time, I lived in the riding of Mount Royal, so since it was a
Liberal safe seat, my voting Rhino was more of an amusement than anything
else.

But, they had a great platform... such as, making graft and corruption
available to persons of common means. So, you could be a judge for $10,
a Senator for $15, and the sum of $19.99 would get you a Crown Commission
on the subject of your choice...

And, IIRC, there is a piece of Federal legislation that now mandates
that the leader of a national political party up here has to be a human
being.... Hmm... wonder how Mulroney got past that one... <g>

> Cheers,
> dba

Andre

--
" The noblest achievement of the imagination is to make time run some
other way, and terminate in beauty and forgivness "

Peter Skelton

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00