Thankyou America!

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Apologies for posting off-topic, but on behalf of the rest of the world I
would just like to express our heartfelt thanks to the citizens of the
United States of America for their generous provision of entertainment over
the last few days. "Electing a President" could soon rival football (soccer)
as the world's favourite spectator sport, being a combination of almost
shakesperian drama with comedic moments that might rival Monty Python. Each
twist and turn brings a chuckle to the throat and a tear to the eye - true
quality!

It has been extremely entertaining and here in the UK it has been
particularly appreciated as it has helped distract us from the recent round
of storms and floods. I propose that the rest of the world have a whip-round
to buy America a big box of chocolates!

We thank you all!

--
Peter D Rieden
(aka PDR)

Steven James Forsberg

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00

: It has been extremely entertaining and here in the UK it has been

: particularly appreciated as it has helped distract us from the recent round
: of storms and floods. I propose that the rest of the world have a whip-round
: to buy America a big box of chocolates!

Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
the fundamentals of "western" governence. I mean, not knowing who is
going to be running the nation next week is par for the course for a
nation whose leader might be ejected at the drop of a "no confidence"
vote. We may have Florida, but we acknowledge that the English were
the inventors of the "rotten borough'. And then there were the mad
kings who have so inspried our own leadership... :-) :-)

All we need now is wigs...

regards,

-----------------------------------
sjfo...@bayou.uh.edu wizard 87-01

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
In article <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>,

Steven James Forsberg <sjfo...@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
> All we need now is wigs...

"whigs", surely?

Nobody needs Tories.

--
Andy Breen ~ PPARC Advanced Research Fellow, Interplanetary Scintillation
Solar Physics Group, UW Aberystwyth

Peter Skelton

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
sjfo...@Bayou.UH.EDU (Steven James Forsberg) wrote:

>: It has been extremely entertaining and here in the UK it has been
>: particularly appreciated as it has helped distract us from the recent round
>: of storms and floods. I propose that the rest of the world have a whip-round
>: to buy America a big box of chocolates!
>
> Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
>the fundamentals of "western" governence. I mean, not knowing who is
>going to be running the nation next week is par for the course for a
>nation whose leader might be ejected at the drop of a "no confidence"
>vote. We may have Florida, but we acknowledge that the English were
>the inventors of the "rotten borough'. And then there were the mad
>kings who have so inspried our own leadership... :-) :-)
>

> All we need now is wigs...

Just ask Tina, she'll help you out.

(She can put on a mid-length skirt, flip her wig and walk unrecognized
anywhere - a really brilliant bit of misdirection that thing is.)
--
Peter Skelton

B F Lake

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Steven James Forsberg <sjfo...@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote in article <

> All we need now is wigs...

The Russians might still have some. But why go there when you can get the
Spruce Goose going again?

Regards,
Barry

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Steven James Forsberg wrote in message <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>...

> Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
>the fundamentals of "western" governence.

It's all part of our cunning plan to induce America to return to the fold
and take its proper place under the Crown...<BG>

>I mean, not knowing who is going to be running the nation next week is par
for the course for a
>nation whose leader might be ejected at the drop of a "no confidence"
>vote.

Can you think of a better incentive to prevent another Nixon/Clinton (delete
according to political preference)? You have to actually prove your
president did something illegal before you can get rid of him/her - we
merely have to prove we don't like him/her...<BG>

>We may have Florida, but we acknowledge that the English were
>the inventors of the "rotten borough'.

...and indeed the "Robber Button" (with due acknowledgement to Mr BA)

> And then there were the mad kings who have so inspried our own
leadership...

You certainly seem to have taken the style to heart!<BG> Did you know that
the film about George the Third was originally going to be called "The
madness of King George III", but the US distributors insisted it was changed
to "The madness of King George" to avoid a flood of enquiries about the
previous two films...!

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote in message <8ugudj$a1uf$1...@central.aber.ac.uk>...
>Nobody needs Tories.

Amen to that - 18 years was QUITE long enough!

Keith Willshaw

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00

"Peter D Rieden" <Peter....@bae.co.uk> wrote in message

> ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote in message <8ugudj$a1uf$1...@central.aber.ac.uk>...
> >Nobody needs Tories.
>
> Amen to that - 18 years was QUITE long enough!

It sounds like you believe Blair isnt a Tory :)

Keith

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Keith Willshaw wrote in message
<8uh1s9$9d9$1...@sshuraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com>...

>It sounds like you believe Blair isnt a Tory :)

I won't say that I agree with everything that Blair does, nor do I
necessarily believe everything that he says, but these things are relative.
Blair may cause me to suffer the odd period of annoyance, but Major and
Thatcher cuased me to seriously consider getting into the subversion and
terrorism business. There is a world of difference, but people forget
incredibly quickly.

As for subjecting Hague to the travails of governmental responsibility, I
could never condone such an act of extreme child abuse...<G>

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
In article <3a0c1330$1...@pull.gecm.com>,

Peter D Rieden <Peter....@bae.co.uk> wrote:

>As for subjecting Hague to the travails of governmental responsibility, I
>could never condone such an act of extreme child abuse...<G>

Steve Bell refers.

:)

Peter D Rieden

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote in message <8uh4jv$aivi$1...@central.aber.ac.uk>...

>Steve Bell refers.

Regrettably I have not kept up on the cartoon strips in recent years - Do I
presume this has been the general thrust of his representation of the
Bandwagon Kid?

<BG>

Andy Hartley

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
In article <8uh4jv$aivi$1...@central.aber.ac.uk>,

a...@aber.ac.uk (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN) wrote:
> In article <3a0c1330$1...@pull.gecm.com>,
> Peter D Rieden <Peter....@bae.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >As for subjecting Hague to the travails of governmental
responsibility, I
> >could never condone such an act of extreme child abuse...<G>
>
> Steve Bell refers.
>
> :)

God, I need to get back in the habit of watching Question Time on
C-SPAN. The Times and The Economist aren't quite keeping me up
here. :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Al Gerharter

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
You're quite welcome, Peter. We are enjoying it too. Al

e recent round
> of storms and floods. I propose that the rest of the world have a
whip-round
> to buy America a big box of chocolates!
>

> We thank you all!

Stephen M. Willis

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
You Brits do it so much better. I really miss those election night returns and
videos of Labor Party yada yada, Conservative Party, yada-yada, Liberal Party,
yada-yada, Spam Lovers Party......Silly Kinckers Party......Colonic Irrigation
Party.....

Peter D Rieden wrote:

> Apologies for posting off-topic, but on behalf of the rest of the world I
> would just like to express our heartfelt thanks to the citizens of the
> United States of America for their generous provision of entertainment over
> the last few days. "Electing a President" could soon rival football (soccer)
> as the world's favourite spectator sport, being a combination of almost
> shakesperian drama with comedic moments that might rival Monty Python. Each
> twist and turn brings a chuckle to the throat and a tear to the eye - true
> quality!
>

> It has been extremely entertaining and here in the UK it has been

> particularly appreciated as it has helped distract us from the recent round

redc1c4

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Peter D Rieden wrote:

> Steven James Forsberg wrote in message <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>...
> > Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
> >the fundamentals of "western" governence.
>
> It's all part of our cunning plan to induce America to return to the fold
> and take its proper place under the Crown...<BG>
(snipage occurs)

so ER prefers to be on top, eh? having seen her pic's i think doggy
style would be the only way that might have a chance of success... %-)

redc1c4,
definitely a two bagger, she is.
--
"I am not worth purchasing, but such as I am, the king of Great Britain
is not rich enough to do it."

William Black

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
redc1c4 <red...@drunkenbastards.org.ies> wrote in message

> so ER prefers to be on top, eh? having seen her pic's i think doggy
> style would be the only way that might have a chance of success... %-)

Well the guy she married went from Captain RN to Admiral of the Fleet
overnight, and they never retire and stay on full pay

So you'd do as you were bloody told.

--
William Black
--------------------------------------

John W.

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Sour grapes for the loss of the Empire.

Jim Herring

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN wrote:

> In article <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>,

> Steven James Forsberg <sjfo...@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
> > All we need now is wigs...
>

> "whigs", surely?
>
> Nobody needs Tories.

There was an American Whig party about 160 years ago, William H. Harrison (1840)
and Zachary Taylor (1848) won. We kicked out the Tories in the late 1780's,
during some disagreement with some island off France. :)

--
Jim

carry on

Neill McKay

Nov 10, 2000, 7:03:45 PM11/10/00
"John W." wrote:

> Sour grapes for the loss of the Empire.

I wouldn't imagine so; empires are damn expensive, and a fair bit of
trouble in modern times. They're probably quite glad to be rid of you
guys, in particular! :)

Neill McKay

--
Neill McKay, BScE, EIT, ASCSCE
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Michael P. Reed

Nov 11, 2000, 1:12:23 AM11/11/00
In article <3A0CDA2E...@bga.com>,
Jim Herring <mus...@bga.com> wrote:

> There was an American Whig party about 160 years ago, William H. Harrison (1840)
> and Zachary Taylor (1848) won. We kicked out the Tories in the late 1780's,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
By late, I assume you mean early. <g>

--
Regards,
Michael P. Reed

Reply to mpreedattdi.net

Brian Allardice

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <3a0c1330$1...@pull.gecm.com>, Peter....@bae.co.uk says...

>Keith Willshaw wrote in message
><8uh1s9$9d9$1...@sshuraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com>...
>>
>>It sounds like you believe Blair isnt a Tory :)

Forget Blair... What about Jack [Adolf] Straw. To the right of Haider.... who
needs trial by jury, ve haf judges who can sort it alle out......... Christ,
and this is the Labour Party.......???????? (but don't mention the war....)

Cheers,
dba

Brian Allardice

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <8uh8jq$6vt$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, andr...@aol.com says...

>God, I need to get back in the habit of watching Question Time on
>C-SPAN. The Times and The Economist aren't quite keeping me up
>here. :)

Now, now, the US networks are the idiots who 'called' Florida for Gore, no-one,
Bush, no-one &c....

Mind you, I used to love the Times, but it has moved so far down market that
only the lack of a pg.3 distinguishes it from the Sun....

It's fun to see the Yanks finally topple over into third-worldism.... A tight
vote, ok..... a recount, OK, but shrieking morons protesting that they were too
stupid to fill in a ballot that (as an experiment) my 12 year old son managed
first time [hey, kid! Vote fore Gore.... Christ Dad, there's the arrow, now
bugger off, I'm playing Nintendo with my friends.....] makes you kinda
wonder.... pretty pathetic....

Cheers,
dba

Andrew Chaplin

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Tex Bennett wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:48:41 -0600, "Stephen M. Willis"
> <swi...@tambcd.edu> wrote:
>
> >You Brits do it so much better. I really miss those election night returns and
> >videos of Labor Party yada yada, Conservative Party, yada-yada, Liberal Party,
> >yada-yada, Spam Lovers Party......Silly Kinckers Party......Colonic Irrigation
> >Party.....
>
> Sensible Party, Silly Party and the Very Silly Party candidate in the
> block of concrete.....

Canada has boasted the Rhino Party (its leader was Cornelius the
rhinocerous at the Toronto Zoo) the Natural Law Party (it will bring
peace and prosperity to Canada and the world through yogic flying) and
now the Marijuana Party (a single issue party about guess what) that I
expect will out-poll the Communists.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Andy Ashworth

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

> Steven James Forsberg wrote in message <8ugtb3$11b$1...@Masala.CC.UH.EDU>...
> > Ah, shucks. We really owe it all to you Brits, who taught us
> >the fundamentals of "western" governence.
>
> It's all part of our cunning plan to induce America to return to the fold
> and take its proper place under the Crown...<BG>

Heard on Radio the morning the whole debacle was first reported:

"America's revolutionary experiment is over - look's like its time to rejoin
the Commonwealth"

Andy

Ogden Johnson III

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Andrew Chaplin <abch...@yourfinger.home.com> wrote:

>now the Marijuana Party (a single issue party about guess what) that I
>expect will out-poll the Communists.

As is only to be expected, since the constituency for marijuana vastly
outnumbers that for Communism.

OJ III

Eugene Griessel

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

What a potty statement. It's all smoke without fire. The idea should
be put out to grass.

Eugene L Griessel eug...@dynagen.co.za

www.dynagen.co.za/eugene
SAAF Crashboat Page - www.dynagen.co.za/eugene/eug3.htm
Snake Page - www.web.netactive.co.za/~sean

Peter Skelton

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Andrew Chaplin <abch...@yourfinger.home.com> wrote:

>Tex Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:48:41 -0600, "Stephen M. Willis"
>> <swi...@tambcd.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >You Brits do it so much better. I really miss those election night returns and
>> >videos of Labor Party yada yada, Conservative Party, yada-yada, Liberal Party,
>> >yada-yada, Spam Lovers Party......Silly Kinckers Party......Colonic Irrigation
>> >Party.....
>>
>> Sensible Party, Silly Party and the Very Silly Party candidate in the
>> block of concrete.....
>
>Canada has boasted the Rhino Party (its leader was Cornelius the
>rhinocerous at the Toronto Zoo) the Natural Law Party (it will bring
>peace and prosperity to Canada and the world through yogic flying) and

>now the Marijuana Party (a single issue party about guess what) that I
>expect will out-poll the Communists.

When I lived in Lachine the Rhinos outpolled the PC's, the second of the
main-line parties at the time.

Their platform in the mid-eighties included moving to driving on the left
side of the road, sensibly moving to the majority. The implementation,
however, was a phased in approach, trucks the first year, cars later.
--
Peter Skelton

Greg McFadden

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Amen. If you are too stupid to fill out a ballot, then tough luck!

"Brian Allardice" <d...@uniserve.com> wrote in message

wa...@netcomuk.co.uk

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
This is the standard pattern for the ex colonies unfortunately. We give
them the book on how to run a democracy, it works for a few years then it
all goes pear shaped - Uganda, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe...and now the
States! :)

wa...@netcomuk.co.uk

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

> What a potty statement. It's all smoke without fire. The idea should
> be put out to grass.

Groan! LOL

Eugene Griessel

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
wa...@netcomuk.co.uk wrote:

>This is the standard pattern for the ex colonies unfortunately. We give
>them the book on how to run a democracy, it works for a few years then it
>all goes pear shaped - Uganda, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe...and now the
>States! :)

And they can't even make a decent cuppa there anymore either.

Yeff

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <3a0d9860...@news.iafrica.com>,
Eugene Griessel<eug...@dynagen.co.za> wrote in
sci.military.naval:

> And they can't even make a decent cuppa there anymore either.

Cuppa? At least we can finish a sente
;-)

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Brian Allardice

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <3a0d8255.82976483@news>, skel...@home.com says...

>When I lived in Lachine the Rhinos outpolled the PC's, the second of the
>main-line parties at the time.
>
>Their platform in the mid-eighties included moving to driving on the left
>side of the road, sensibly moving to the majority. The implementation,
>however, was a phased in approach, trucks the first year, cars later.

Hell! I lived in Lachine then AND I was one of the Rhino voters! It is a sad
commentary on the viciousness of Canadian political life that in revenge for
this great victory our leader was exiled to San Diego zoo.

Cheers,
dba

Jim Herring

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
"Michael P. Reed" wrote:

> In article <3A0CDA2E...@bga.com>,
> Jim Herring <mus...@bga.com> wrote:
>
> > There was an American Whig party about 160 years ago, William H. Harrison (1840)
> > and Zachary Taylor (1848) won. We kicked out the Tories in the late 1780's,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> By late, I assume you mean early. <g>

Yeah, I always get got with the details.

--
Jim

carry on

Jim Herring

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Brian Allardice wrote:

> Hell! I lived in Lachine then AND I was one of the Rhino voters! It is a sad
> commentary on the viciousness of Canadian political life that in revenge for
> this great victory our leader was exiled to San Diego zoo.

It seems he saw the light. BTW, San Diego went for Bush. Smart the rhino. :)

--
Jim

carry on

Jim C

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Kinda knee-jerk reaction, isn't it? Wait till you get there age wise and
see for yourself. Fortunately, I am not there yet, but I've had parents who
were and I my 84 year old father in law had to ask for help three times when
voting this week in Texas. He's no dummy either, but gets a little confused
at his age. Fortunately the poll workers in his precinct were willing to
explain things to him.....again, three times. He takes his "duty" to vote
seriously and was well prepared on the issues and candidates. .
Unfortunately the poll workers in W Palm Beach wouldn't help those with
similar problems, all 19k of them. Hardly American.
Too stupid to fill out a ballot, uhuh? You shouldn't believe everything El
Rusbo wails about.
Jim

Greg McFadden <arch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Brian Sharrock

Nov 12, 2000, 2:28:24 AM11/12/00
Just jumping into the thread, and posing
a _serious_ on-topic question;-

While the world waits the ten days allowed
for Floridian postal votes to arrive and
with the presumption that many of these
will be from navy &/+ marines ... I wondered;-

Do the absentee (postal), and military,
voters utilise the same procedures as at
their 'precint'(?) polling station?
In other words; are any 'Palm Beach Co.'
(fr'instance) service voters punching a card
or do they mark a mult-page ballot form?

If they mark a form, who transcribes it
onto a punched card? ... a part volounteer or
some notarised official ...the world wonders!

I understand from the media (CNN, Fox, BBC)
that the card used needs to be used in
combination with a 'book' of pages ...
but can't believe that such contraptions
are held as ship's inventory ... not
considering the 50 states plus the district
having differnt processes.

Brian Sharrock

Andre Lieven

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Brian Allardice (d...@uniserve.com) writes:
> In article <3a0d8255.82976483@news>, skel...@home.com says...
>
>>When I lived in Lachine the Rhinos outpolled the PC's, the second of the
>>main-line parties at the time.
>>
>>Their platform in the mid-eighties included moving to driving on the left
>>side of the road, sensibly moving to the majority. The implementation,
>>however, was a phased in approach, trucks the first year, cars later.
>
> Hell! I lived in Lachine then AND I was one of the Rhino voters! It is a sad
> commentary on the viciousness of Canadian political life that in revenge for
> this great victory our leader was exiled to San Diego zoo.

At that time, I lived in the riding of Mount Royal, so since it was a
Liberal safe seat, my voting Rhino was more of an amusement than anything
else.

But, they had a great platform... such as, making graft and corruption
available to persons of common means. So, you could be a judge for $10,
a Senator for $15, and the sum of $19.99 would get you a Crown Commission
on the subject of your choice...

And, IIRC, there is a piece of Federal legislation that now mandates
that the leader of a national political party up here has to be a human
being.... Hmm... wonder how Mulroney got past that one... <g>

> Cheers,
> dba

Andre

--
" The noblest achievement of the imagination is to make time run some
other way, and terminate in beauty and forgivness "

Peter Skelton

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Jim Herring <mus...@bga.com> wrote:

>Brian Allardice wrote:
>
>> Hell! I lived in Lachine then AND I was one of the Rhino voters! It is a sad
>> commentary on the viciousness of Canadian political life that in revenge for
>> this great victory our leader was exiled to San Diego zoo.
>>

>It seems he saw the light. BTW, San Diego went for Bush. Smart the rhino. :)

Our leader died heartbroken and imprisoned in his cruel exile.
--
Peter Skelton

Ogden Johnson III

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
"Brian Sharrock" <bria...@pavilion.co.uk> wrote:

>Do the absentee (postal), and military,
>voters utilise the same procedures as at
>their 'precint'(?) polling station?
>In other words; are any 'Palm Beach Co.'
>(fr'instance) service voters punching a card
>or do they mark a mult-page ballot form?

I can't speak, of course, to all jurisdictions, but logic suggests
that most would send out an old-fashioned "mark the X in the square"
type ballot, since few absentee voters would have access to whatever
voting machine/punches/magic markers are currently being used in their
home jurisdiction. That was the case with the ~9 or 10 absentee
ballots I submitted to Fairfax County VA during my 21 years in the
USMC.

>If they mark a form, who transcribes it
>onto a punched card? ... a part volounteer or
>some notarised official ...the world wonders!

Again, in Fairfax County VA only from my own knowledge, they hand
counted the ballots, which had to be notarized. Fairly simple in the
case of the military, since any commissioned officer has notary power
by virtue of his commission as an officer. If the number was correct
in yesterday's paper, Florida had a total [rounded, for the
nit-pickers amongst the audience] of 15,000 absentee ballots requested
for this election. That would not be an undue burden to hand count,
given that most FL jurisdictions other than Mayport, the Pensacola
area, would probably have far fewer than even a thousand to hand
count.

>I understand from the media (CNN, Fox, BBC)
>that the card used needs to be used in
>combination with a 'book' of pages ...
>but can't believe that such contraptions
>are held as ship's inventory ... not
>considering the 50 states plus the district
>having differnt processes.

Oh, how little you understand the US military bureaucracy. Such a
"book" would be puny compared to many of the arcane references each of
the individual services requires each of their reporting units to
maintain. However, in my day ['61-'82], each of the states had agreed
to accept the Federal Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request
Postal Card [or somesuch name]. The absentee ballot package itself,
when sent, contained whatever specialized instructions required as to
exact details such as notarization, when it needs to be returned
[e.g., VA was any time after receipt until midnight of the day of the
election], etc.

OJ III

Brian Sharrock

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Sharrock" <bria...@pavilion.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Do the absentee (postal), and military,
> >voters utilise the same procedures as at
> >their 'precint'(?) polling station?

Snip

Thanks, OJI II, for the excellent answers to
my Ukian questioning

> >but can't believe that such contraptions
> >are held as ship's inventory ... not
> >considering the 50 states plus the district
> >having differnt processes.
>

> Oh, how little you understand the US military bureaucracy. Such a
> "book" would be puny compared to many of the arcane references each of
> the individual services requires each of their reporting units to
> maintain.

Oh, but I do ... how many hours? at what rate? (We'll
have the Federal auditors fly in from Frankfurt and turn your
accounting departmrnt upside down), How many drawings?
what size? [Loop: If you don't know how many drawings, how
do you know how many hours?]. Is this the best way to go?
{Loop: We'll send in our Federal Technical guys to turn your
Design Dept upside down], When's the PDR conference?,
You understand that if you provide the attendees with
coffe'n'donuts they'll all have to hand over $15 each, which'll
drive your Finance Director crazy 'cos he can't decide
if he has to pay VAT on it?, Source code? .., embodied COTS?,
Can this instrument - used since Nelson's time- be redesigned
to incorporate jewelled bearings from some Indian^H^H^H^H^H^H
Native American reservation?, How many of your purchased items
are sourced from USA small firms comprising at least one
Lesbian and a Democrat (extra points if the Lesbian is
black]? First angle projection? camera ready copy? Wordperfect 5.0?
aparture cards?, three ring binders?, letter size? ...
ILS conferences?, pre provisioning?, special tools?,
FSN assignments?, ... et. al.
Rule of Thumb; one container (2xTEU) for the kit, two
containers for the doc's.

</bitter mode> You may have noticed how in other threads
I've risen to the bait of "the Ruritanian widget is better than
your widget - because the Ruritania Defence Force uses it"!

Regards

Brian Sharrock

Peter D Rieden

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
John W. wrote in message <3A0C2175...@neta.com>...

>Sour grapes for the loss of the Empire.

We didn't lose the empire - we found it down the back of the sofa cushions
next to a couple of old pizza crusts and £1.37 in small change.

Peter D Rieden

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Did you hear the Zimbabwean chappie on the R4 morning news last week? He
made the point that if this fiasco had happened in Zimbabwe or Uganda the
USA would be screaming "rigged election" and imposing sanctions before you
could say "Antidisestablishmentarianistically speaking". He suggested that
perhaps there should be inependant (african) observers monitoring the polls
in the USA...

All tongue-in-cheek, of course, but I was highly amused...<BG>

--
Peter D Rieden
(aka PDR)

wa...@netcomuk.co.uk wrote in message <3A0D9796...@netcomuk.co.uk>...

>This is the standard pattern for the ex colonies unfortunately. We give
>them the book on how to run a democracy, it works for a few years then it
>all goes pear shaped - Uganda, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe...and now the
>States! :)

Olivers

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Brian Sharrock wrote:

> Just jumping into the thread, and posing
> a _serious_ on-topic question;-
>
> While the world waits the ten days allowed
> for Floridian postal votes to arrive and
> with the presumption that many of these
> will be from navy &/+ marines ... I wondered;-
>
> Do the absentee (postal), and military,
> voters utilise the same procedures as at
> their 'precint'(?) polling station?
> In other words; are any 'Palm Beach Co.'
> (fr'instance) service voters punching a card
> or do they mark a mult-page ballot form?
>
> If they mark a form, who transcribes it
> onto a punched card? ... a part volounteer or
> some notarised official ...the world wonders!

Back in my active duty days (and since while traveling), I had to
request by mail (or in person) an absentee ballot appropriate to my
precinct of residence/"Home of Record" in McLennan County, Texas, which
after marking (these days in little penciled blips to be read by optical
scan), which had/has to be returned prior to Election Day to Mclennan
County's Courthose. No witnessing or other verification was involved.
These days, the ballot is exactly the same as those used by other voters
in my precinct, listing state and local offices down through the Justice
of the Peace for the precinct.

Olivers

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Eugene Griessel wrote:

> wa...@netcomuk.co.uk wrote:
>
> >This is the standard pattern for the ex colonies unfortunately. We give
> >them the book on how to run a democracy, it works for a few years then it
> >all goes pear shaped - Uganda, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe...and now the
> >States! :)
>
> And they can't even make a decent cuppa there anymore either.

...on the other hand, Defense Estimates of the number of troops required
for internal security purposes for the next fiscal quarter in Florida
remain substantially below those required to maintain the garrison
forces in Northern Ireland.

Reports of the exchange of gunfire between Bush and Gore forces in Palm
Beach County turn out to have been erroneous, caused by someone playing
Radio Belfast at high volume. The local government of West Palm Beach
continues to allow funereals and parades to continue unabated (and with
low casualties), while the gunshops of Palm Beach, one of the US's
richest enclaves, sell more Purdeys than AK47 clones.

Eugene Griessel

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:

>...on the other hand, Defense Estimates of the number of troops required
>for internal security purposes for the next fiscal quarter in Florida
>remain substantially below those required to maintain the garrison
>forces in Northern Ireland.
>
>Reports of the exchange of gunfire between Bush and Gore forces in Palm
>Beach County turn out to have been erroneous, caused by someone playing
>Radio Belfast at high volume. The local government of West Palm Beach
>continues to allow funereals and parades to continue unabated (and with
>low casualties), while the gunshops of Palm Beach, one of the US's
>richest enclaves, sell more Purdeys than AK47 clones.

How boring! No taxi wars? No pipe bombs at the local hamburger
joint?

Martin Sinclair

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Olivers wrote:

> ...on the other hand, Defense Estimates of the number of troops required
> for internal security purposes for the next fiscal quarter in Florida
> remain substantially below those required to maintain the garrison
> forces in Northern Ireland.
>
> Reports of the exchange of gunfire between Bush and Gore forces in Palm
> Beach County turn out to have been erroneous, caused by someone playing
> Radio Belfast at high volume. The local government of West Palm Beach
> continues to allow funereals and parades to continue unabated (and with
> low casualties), while the gunshops of Palm Beach, one of the US's
> richest enclaves, sell more Purdeys than AK47 clones.

Hey, less of that.

After all, from what we see on our news programmes, when Florida's
Social Services go round to pick up a kid, it takes a platoon of SWAT
in full armour, tooled for bear. By jingo, these Cuban five-year-olds
must be a handful, eh ?

:-) :-)

Martin
First of Foot, Right of the Line

Chris Manteuffel

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:36:23 -0000, "Peter D Rieden"
<Peter....@bae.co.uk> arranged electrons in an arbitrary pattern
familiar to all as:

>Did you hear the Zimbabwean chappie on the R4 morning news last week? He
>made the point that if this fiasco had happened in Zimbabwe or Uganda the
>USA would be screaming "rigged election" and imposing sanctions before you
>could say "Antidisestablishmentarianistically speaking". He suggested that
>perhaps there should be inependant (african) observers monitoring the polls
>in the USA...

My favorite line is from a Lebanese newspaper, apologizing for
prematurely calling the election- 'in our country we are used to the
winner being declared and then the votes counted'.

Chris Manteuffel
"...the war situation has developed not necessarily
to Japan's advantage..."
-Emperor Hirohito, August 14, 1945
Remove something from email address

Brian Allardice

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
In article <3a105482...@news.virginia.edu>,
cdm7g*REMOVETHIS*@virginia.edu says...

>My favorite line is from a Lebanese newspaper, apologizing for
>prematurely calling the election- 'in our country we are used to the
>winner being declared and then the votes counted'.

From the Russians: Of course democracy is better in Russia than in America:
Here we know results months before, there they can't figure out even after....

Cheers,
dba

Ogden Johnson III

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
"Peter D Rieden" <Peter....@bae.co.uk> wrote:

>John W. wrote in message <3A0C2175...@neta.com>...

>>Sour grapes for the loss of the Empire.

>We didn't lose the empire - we found it down the back of the sofa cushions

>next to a couple of old pizza crusts and £1.37 in small change.

Pardon me while I translate to the old style - I never got used to
that decimal stuff ... ... ... that would be roughly £1 7/5, right?

OJ III
[Or was it 12 shillings to the £, 20 pence to the shilling? I do know
that a shot was 2/6 which was $0.35 {in 196mumble}.]

Paul J. Adam

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
In article <3A101DF0...@calpha.com>, Olivers <ol...@calpha.com>
writes

>Eugene Griessel wrote:
>> And they can't even make a decent cuppa there anymore either.
>>
>...on the other hand, Defense Estimates of the number of troops required
>for internal security purposes for the next fiscal quarter in Florida
>remain substantially below those required to maintain the garrison
>forces in Northern Ireland.

Only because there's a lack of wealthy outsiders subsidising the
"democratic pro-Cuban forces" in their "armed struggle against majority
oppression"...

>Reports of the exchange of gunfire between Bush and Gore forces in Palm
>Beach County turn out to have been erroneous, caused by someone playing
>Radio Belfast at high volume.

That wasn't gunfire, that was a mortar barrage. Mortar fire is just the
sound of healthy democracy when it's funded _by_ US citizens. (When it's
directed _at_ US citizens it's terrorism, but that's a contradiction the
US doesn't want to face just yet :) )

> The local government of West Palm Beach
>continues to allow funereals and parades to continue unabated (and with
>low casualties), while the gunshops of Palm Beach, one of the US's
>richest enclaves, sell more Purdeys than AK47 clones.

You think the Real IRA (as opposed to Continuity IRA, Provisional IRA,
Republican Irish Army, the Republican Army of Provisional Ireland -
SPLITTERS!) _choose_ AK clones? They're available and affordable and so
they're used.

--
There are four kinds of homicide: praiseworthy, justifiable, excusable and
felonious...

Kerryn Offord

Nov 13, 2000, 7:21:01 PM11/13/00

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

<SNIP, finding GBP 1.37>

> Pardon me while I translate to the old style - I never got used to
> that decimal stuff ... ... ... that would be roughly £1 7/5, right?
>
> OJ III
> [Or was it 12 shillings to the £, 20 pence to the shilling? I do know
> that a shot was 2/6 which was $0.35 {in 196mumble}.]

12 pennies to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound.

GBP 0.37 ~ 6.4 shillings (3.7 * 2)
0.4 shillings ~ 5 pennies (0.7 * 12)

so: 1.37 pounds ~ GBP 1 6/5

THESE Coridon Henshaw

Nov 13, 2000, 9:39:40 PM11/13/00
>On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:36:23 -0000, "Peter D Rieden"
><Peter....@bae.co.uk> arranged electrons in an arbitrary pattern
>familiar to all as:

>>Did you hear the Zimbabwean chappie on the R4 morning news last week?
>>He made the point that if this fiasco had happened in Zimbabwe or
>>Uganda the USA would be screaming "rigged election" and imposing
>>sanctions before you could say "Antidisestablishmentarianistically
>>speaking".

Not to mention how the US would react to a 3rd or 2nd world election where
where the brother of one of the candidates was ultimately responsible for
the vote count in a critical election riding/district/state.

--
Coridon Henshaw -- http://www3.sympatico.ca/gcircle/csbh
"..To expect a good deal from life is purile." -- D.H. Lawerence

Random

Nov 14, 2000, 1:10:39 AM11/14/00

All questions neatly side stepped by making the appropriate
arrangements for not funding ILS, spares, training, technical manuals,
special tools etc. I know the mechanism and I'm currently trying to
live with the results. COTS sucks when procured in a slimey manner.

random

Random

Nov 14, 2000, 1:17:45 AM11/14/00
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:59:28 -0600, Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:

>Eugene Griessel wrote:
>>
>> wa...@netcomuk.co.uk wrote:
>>
>> >This is the standard pattern for the ex colonies unfortunately. We give
>> >them the book on how to run a democracy, it works for a few years then it
>> >all goes pear shaped - Uganda, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe...and now the
>> >States! :)
>>

>> And they can't even make a decent cuppa there anymore either.
>>
>...on the other hand, Defense Estimates of the number of troops required
>for internal security purposes for the next fiscal quarter in Florida
>remain substantially below those required to maintain the garrison
>forces in Northern Ireland.

Oh if only! Do you suspect that there is a reason we have Cape
Canaveral, Patrick AFB, MacDill AFB, Southern Command, Central Command
and Special Operations Command all located in Florida? Do you have
any idea how much we spent to rebuild Homestead AFB after the
hurricane? I would far rather pay the bill for continuing insanity
in Ireland than SPECOPS bills for a quarter. It'd be orders of
magnitude cheaper for one thing.

It does make one wonder how much we pay when we federalize the guard
for hurricanes and other natural disasters..
random

Random

Nov 14, 2000, 1:26:50 AM11/14/00
On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:21:01 +1300, Kerryn Offord
<ka...@student.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>Ogden Johnson III wrote:
>> =

><SNIP, finding GBP 1.37>
>
>> Pardon me while I translate to the old style - I never got used to

>> that decimal stuff ... ... ... that would be roughly =A31 7/5, right?
>> =
>
>> OJ III
>> [Or was it 12 shillings to the =A3, 20 pence to the shilling? I do kno=

>> that a shot was 2/6 which was $0.35 {in 196mumble}.]
>
>12 pennies to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound.
>
>GBP 0.37 ~ 6.4 shillings (3.7 * 2)
>0.4 shillings ~ 5 pennies (0.7 * 12)
>
>so: 1.37 pounds ~ GBP 1 6/5

From page 178 of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's wonderful novel,
"Good Omens."

"*NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It
helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if
you know the original British monetary system:
Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three
pennies=A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences=A Sixpence. Two
Sixpences=One shilling, or Bob. Two Bob=A Florin. One Florin and One
Sixpence=Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns=Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob
Notes=One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling=One
Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time
because they thought ti was too complicated."

random

loki

Nov 14, 2000, 1:55:01 AM11/14/00
"Random" <rand...@ix.netcom.com> wrote

> From page 178 of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's wonderful novel,
> "Good Omens."
>
> "*NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It
> helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if
> you know the original British monetary system:
> Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three
> pennies=A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences=A Sixpence. Two
> Sixpences=One shilling, or Bob. Two Bob=A Florin. One Florin and One
> Sixpence=Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns=Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob
> Notes=One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling=One
> Guinea.

Pratchett? *You* read Pratchett???? <smile> Wonders never cease.

> The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time
> because they thought ti was too complicated."

Yeah, thank the gods they did finally decimalize or I'd never have been
able to deal with it. Then again, the banks handle it all if you just put
it on the old charge card...

Loki

Keith Willshaw

Nov 14, 2000, 2:47:48 AM11/14/00

"Kerryn Offord" <ka...@student.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote in message

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

<SNIP, finding GBP 1.37>

>> Pardon me while I translate to the old style - I never got used to
>> that decimal stuff ... ... ... that would be roughly £1 7/5, right?
>>
>> OJ III
>> [Or was it 12 shillings to the £, 20 pence to the shilling? I do know
>> that a shot was 2/6 which was $0.35 {in 196mumble}.]

>12 pennies to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound.

>GBP 0.37 ~ 6.4 shillings (3.7 * 2)

Pardon for intruding but last time I checked
3.7*2= 7.4

Of course the equation is wrong anyway

37 New pence = 37*2.4 old pence
= 88.8 old pence = 7 shillings and 4.8 new pence

Ogden Johnson III was quite correct

Keith

yo...@pl.jaring.my

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:59:28 -0600, Olivers <ol...@calpha.com> wrote:

>...on the other hand, Defense Estimates of the number of troops required
>for internal security purposes for the next fiscal quarter in Florida
>remain substantially below those required to maintain the garrison
>forces in Northern Ireland.

If we didn't have NI for training purposes it would have to be
invented. Maybe that's why we're in Sierra Leone...

andrew
--------------------------------------
Andre...@Christ-Church.Oxford.AC.UK

yo...@pl.jaring.my

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
<swi...@tambcd.edu> wrote:

>You Brits do it so much better. I really miss those election night returns and
>videos of Labor Party yada yada, Conservative Party, yada-yada, Liberal Party,
>yada-yada, Spam Lovers Party......Silly Kinckers Party......Colonic Irrigation
>Party.....

Also, we get to hear every politician's silly middle names:
"James Algernon Barfmeister Jones, Labour Party, 20,453 votes."

andrew
--------------------------------------
Andre...@Christ-Church.Oxford.AC.UK

Brian Sharrock

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00

"Kerryn Offord" <ka...@student.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote in message

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

<SNIP, finding GBP 1.37>

> Pardon me while I translate to the old style - I never got used to
> that decimal stuff ... ... ... that would be roughly £1 7/5, right?
>
> OJ III
> [Or was it 12 shillings to the £, 20 pence to the shilling? I do know
> that a shot was 2/6 which was $0.35 {in 196mumble}.]

12 pennies to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound.

<hobby horse>
Apparently the Romans used a copper coin
which was popular amongst the Angles-Saxon-Vikings
etc. This was named "penny" (or variant pfennig etc)
There were two mechanisms extant in counting the
critters ... the thorough Germans went one, two, three
until they got to "One Hundred" then made a Mark
on a stick, The idle Brits just chucked the fiddly
things into a scale until they'd got One Pound (weight).
It so happened that there's 240 of the critters
to one pound weight due to some Roman coin maker
saying "that'll do nicely!".
... USA-ians still chunter on about "six-penny-nails"
from the same basic mechanism to the bafflement of
Brits! ...
Thus One Mark means you've got one hundred Pennies and
one pound (weight) means you've got two hundred and forty.

The shilling/sjilling/schilling coin seems to
have been of a twelve penny worth, quite handy for
commerce involving counting in dozens. By extention
there just happened to be twenty shilling coins
value in one pound weight of pennies!

The British "£" symbol[1] is the "L" off Librae
a) an ancient Roman unit of weight equal to 327.45 grams
b [Sp & Pg, fr. L]: any of various Spanish, Portuguese,
Colombian, or Venezuelan units of weight
(according to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary)

Now, ... if it takes one man half a day to dig
one cubic yard of soil how many men will it take to
dig a trench 5 feet six inches wide by ten feet eleven
and three quarter inches deep and four furlongs, two rods
long in four days? What will be the charge if the men are
paid 5/6d per hour and work an eight hour day?
We used to do stuff like this without spreadsheets
and computers!

</hobby horse>

Regards

Brian Sharrock

[1] Your mileage[code page] may vary.

Keith Willshaw

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00

"Keith Willshaw" <keith_w...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

See what you get for Correcting Others :)

That should read

= 88.8 old pence = 7 shillings and 4.8 Old pence

Keith

Peter D Rieden

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Random wrote in message <3a10d635...@nntp.cts.com>...

>All questions neatly side stepped by making the appropriate
>arrangements for not funding ILS, spares, training, technical manuals,
>special tools etc. I know the mechanism and I'm currently trying to
>live with the results. COTS sucks when procured in a slimey manner.

COTS, NDI and "Open Systems" - the three biggest thorns in any
Supportability Engineer's side.

Don't get me started on that....must
resist...trying....trying....AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

[At this point PDR's brain exploded]

"Would Sir like a wafer thin mint?"

--
Peter D Rieden
(aka PDR)

Head of Harrier Supportability Engineering

ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Random <rand...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Oh if only! Do you suspect that there is a reason we have Cape
> Canaveral, Patrick AFB, MacDill AFB, Southern Command, Central Command
> and Special Operations Command all located in Florida? Do you have

I figured it was because the officer corps likes the climate
and the golf courses.

* Bill Ranck +1-540-231-3951 ra...@vt.edu *
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Computing Center *

wa...@netcomuk.co.uk

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00