New Aegis DDG124 destroyer named for US Marine Medal of Honor recipient Harvey Barnum

Jonathan

Jul 28, 2016, 7:50:44 PM7/28/16

pics
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoelctmWEAQi7fN.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoelizNWAAAUKnV.jpg

160728-N-N0101-001

WASHINGTON (July 28, 2016) A photo illustration announcing that
Arleigh-Burke class destroyer, DDG 124, will be named Harvey C. Barnum
Jr. in honor of the retired U.S. Marine Corps Colonel who received the
Medal of Honor for valor during the Vietnam War. Colonel Barnum also
served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Reserve Affairs.
This is the sixth ship that Secretary Mabus has named honoring a Medal
of Honor recipient. The ship will be constructed at Bath Iron Works, a
division of General Dynamics in Maine and is expected to enter the Navy
fleet in 2024. The ship will be 509 feet long, have a beam length of 59
feet and be capable of operating at speeds in excess of 30 knots. (U.S.
Navy photo illustration/Released)

Download High Resolution
Go Back

http://www.navy.mil/view_imagex.asp?id=222546&t=1

dott.Piergiorgio

Jul 29, 2016, 1:36:37 PM7/29/16
OMG ! seriously, I hope that she never join VIth Fleet (In Italy,
"barnum" is a circus name, hence is a name whose has strong comical
connotation here, being akin to "monty python circus")

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Jonathan

Jul 30, 2016, 7:57:34 AM7/30/16
Over here too!

Ringling Bros and Barnum and Bailey Circus

https://www.ringling.com/

dott.Piergiorgio

Jul 31, 2016, 8:16:31 AM7/31/16
On 30/07/2016 13:58, Jonathan wrote:

>>> http://www.navy.mil/view_imagex.asp?id=222546&t=1
>>
>> OMG ! seriously, I hope that she never join VIth Fleet (In Italy,
>> "barnum" is a circus name, hence is a name whose has strong comical
>> connotation here, being akin to "monty python circus")
>>
>> Best regards from Italy,
>> dott. Piergiorgio.
>>

> Over here too!
>
> Ringling Bros and Barnum and Bailey Circus
>
> https://www.ringling.com/

even in US ? aside that now officially something is damned wrong in US
ship naming process: who is the genius whose named a *fleet oiler* Milk ???