Stupid Canadian submarine tricks...

Kristan Roberge

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Ok, here's a silly human trick... taken from an article in the Ottawa
Sun, pg 19, July 11/96...

"Skipper cleared in Submarine hijinks"

Halifax(CP) - Military officials have decided against disciplining a skipper
who allowed two crewmembers to water-ski behind a Canadian submarine.
A writtten complaint about the incident aboard HMCS Okanagan was made last
November and a military police investigation later found evidence to
back it up. "Yes it did happen," Dan Bedell, a navy spokeman, said
yesterday. "It was just sort of a fun day, a recreational day at sea. These
two guys just decided they wanted to try something a little different."
Documents obtained under the Access to Information Act show the water-skiing
incident happened in the summer of 1994.

* personally I'd like to know what the procedure was for picking up
the skiier if they should loose their grip on the rope or crash...
just how long does it take to stop a submarine / turn it around to pick
up a waterskier!?! *

J.D. Baldwin

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

In article <4s3a4l$g...@news.istar.ca>, Kristan Roberge

<Krob...@magi.com> wrote:
>* personally I'd like to know what the procedure was for picking up
>the skiier if they should loose their grip on the rope or crash...
>just how long does it take to stop a submarine / turn it around to
>pick up a waterskier!?! *

U.S. submarines have been known to have "swim call" and permit crew
members to swim in the close proximity of the (surfaced, obviously)
ship. In one case, at least, this included diving from the sail
planes. It's really no big deal, and the water-skiing stunt might
have been silly, but it doesn't sound particularly dangerous. On a
clear day, with calm seas, proper personal flotation and precautions
taken to cast off a loose line (to prevent entanglement in the screw),
the safety hazard is probably no greater than shooting a water slug.

(Unless, of course, the slug is wounded or cornered, in which case
it can be extremely vicious. Never shoot water slugs without a couple
of rounds in reserve.)
--
From the catapult of J.D. Baldwin |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
_,_ Finger bal...@netcom.com |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

BlackBeard

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

In article <baldwinD...@netcom.com>, bal...@netcom.com (J.D.
Baldwin) wrote:

> U.S. submarines have been known to have "swim call" and permit crew
> members to swim in the close proximity of the (surfaced, obviously)
> ship.

Been there , Done that...
but...(big diff) ... the boat was at all stop...

> In one case, at least, this included diving from the sail
> planes. It's really no big deal, and the water-skiing stunt might
> have been silly, but it doesn't sound particularly dangerous. On a
> clear day, with calm seas, proper personal flotation and precautions
> taken to cast off a loose line (to prevent entanglement in the screw),
> the safety hazard is probably no greater than shooting a water slug.

The disagreement I have here is that we were only allowed to have a swim
call if we had a shark watch. And it would be impossible to provide that
watch for the fallen skier. The boat just takes to long to turn around on
the surface. If the Canuck Sub service doesn't have the same regulations
requiring the SW... Then I guess it's ok.. But I (if I was the CO) would
never take that chance of fouling/damaging the screw. I think it was a
stupid risk/act.

> (Unless, of course, the slug is wounded or cornered, in which case
> it can be extremely vicious. Never shoot water slugs without a couple
> of rounds in reserve.)

always carry big bags of coarse salt too... you know how those slugs hate
the salt....
;)

BlackBeard
-. .- -..- --.-
De Profundis

José Herculano

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

>The disagreement I have here is that we were only allowed to have a swim
>call if we had a shark watch. And it would be impossible to provide that
>watch for the fallen skier. The boat just takes to long to turn around on

That equates with flying escort in P-51s by the side of the B-17s
in WW2... good for the morals, but not very effective. If a great
white comes at you from the bottom (which they tend to do when
attacking seals), the shark watch will pick it up about 0.5 seconds
before it bites the hell out of you ;-)

Jose

Jay Martino

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

Kristan Roberge <Krob...@magi.com> wrote:

>Ok, here's a silly human trick... taken from an article in the Ottawa
>Sun, pg 19, July 11/96...

>"Skipper cleared in Submarine hijinks"

<Waterskiing incident snipped>

That article is another fine example of how our press is putting DND
under the microscope. Anything out of the ordinary (ordinary like
dying in Bosnia) is a potential scandal. Look at the crap about the
"incident" in Haiti.

How fast does a sub go anyway? I'm pretty sure you could barefoot
behind a Halifax class.

Jay

***If you are responding to my comments on
a newsgroup, please do not send me a private
e-mail copy of your reply unless you intend
carry on the discussion privately.***

mjma...@igs.net
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Miles or Lorraine Constable

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In article <4s3a4l$g...@news.istar.ca>, Krob...@magi.com says...
From the news clip I heard, they did have to abort the "mission" and go
into rescue mode as the skiers suddenly found themselves sucked under
and doing a fairly good imitation of the Okanagan. "Dive" "Dive" Aaa OOO
Gah.

Miles Constable

Kristan Roberge

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

mjma...@igs.net (Jay Martino) wrote:

> Kristan Roberge <Krob...@magi.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok, here's a silly human trick... taken from an article in the Ottawa
> >Sun, pg 19, July 11/96...
>
> >"Skipper cleared in Submarine hijinks"
>
> <Waterskiing incident snipped>

> How fast does a sub go anyway? I'm pretty sure you could barefoot
> behind a Halifax class.

The canadian SSs (we call 'em Ojibwa, the brits called em Oberon)
top out around 17 knots submerged and about 15 surfaced as i recall.

Waterskiing behind a 5000 ton FFH doing 30 knots would be fun... and the
wake would make for some cool stunts... and the toe-line is already
there... just tie your t-bar to the CANTASS (I don't known what US
Towed-Array sonars look like, but the Cantass is just a mile long
3" diameter steel cable with about 1000 yards of microphone in its
core at the end of the cable). Also should the skier fall... no problem
.. the Halifax class can go from flank speed to zero in under two
boatlengths...

Gary A. Bushey

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

wrote:

eared in Submarine hijinks"

> Halifax(CP) - Military officials have decided against disciplining a skipper
> who allowed two crewmembers to water-ski behind a Canadian submarine.
> A writtten complaint about the incident aboard HMCS Okanagan was made last
> November and a military police investigation later found evidence to
> back it up. "Yes it did happen," Dan Bedell, a navy spokeman, said
> yesterday. "It was just sort of a fun day, a recreational day at sea. These
> two guys just decided they wanted to try something a little different."
> Documents obtained under the Access to Information Act show the water-skiing
> incident happened in the summer of 1994.

On a similiar note, I remember seeing in an episode of "Quantum Leap" that
some soldiers were water skiing behind a helicopter (the helicopter was
towing the rope) during the Vietnam War. Does anyone know if this really
did occur. It did not look like special effects and I do not know of any
reason why this could not work, but I know very little about helicopters.

--
Gary A. Bushey | If you cannot laugh at yourself, how
Gary.A...@Hitchcock.Org | can you laugh at others?

Guy Ames Stitt

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

BlackBeard wrote:

> always carry big bags of coarse salt too... you know how those slugs hate
> the salt....

And how about all those poor dink non quals that have to run the water for the slugs from the
aft end of the boat in 5 gallon buckets. It takes numerous trips to fill up the tube enough
you know....

--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
AMI International

jerry sommer

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In 1958 or 59 I was at Greenville AFB in Mississippi and after some
real good rain they closed the runway as it had about 6 or 8 inches
of water on it. Someone taxied a T33 with a person on water skis
behind it on a rope. It got printed in the base paper but I don't
think they hung anyone for it.
Jerry Sommer

Gareth Bull

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

mjma...@igs.net (Jay Martino) writes:
> Kristan Roberge <Krob...@magi.com> wrote:

Since this is about water skiing and submarines, why was it crossposted
to an aviation group?

>>Ok, here's a silly human trick... taken from an article in the Ottawa
>>Sun, pg 19, July 11/96...
>
>>"Skipper cleared in Submarine hijinks"
>
> <Waterskiing incident snipped>
>

> That article is another fine example of how our press is putting DND
> under the microscope. Anything out of the ordinary (ordinary like
> dying in Bosnia) is a potential scandal. Look at the crap about the
> "incident" in Haiti.
>

> How fast does a sub go anyway? I'm pretty sure you could barefoot
> behind a Halifax class.

I've heard stories of skiing behind a Nimitz calss nuclear powered carrier.

Just imagine how big the boat trailor would have to be, and reversing it
down the ramp would be a major pain in the arse. :)

Garet...@cc.monash.edu.au
DOD# 251 '84 VF 750 Closet Ducatisto
Disclaimer: I'm just a jay walker on the Information Superhighway!

Grant Ferris

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

Kristan Roberge <Krob...@magi.com> wrote:

>Ok, here's a silly human trick... taken from an article in the Ottawa
>Sun, pg 19, July 11/96...

>"Skipper cleared in Submarine hijinks"

>Halifax(CP) - Military officials have decided against disciplining a skipper

>who allowed two crewmembers to water-ski behind a Canadian submarine.

There was an ABEM Gautier (stoker) on the HMCS Columbia, who
was supposed to have ' water-skied' at night behind the ship,
bare-foot, at slow speed cruising in the Gulf stream. After
seeing a bundle of mops bitten off while being washed clean
behind the ship, no amount of pusser rum would tempt me to
emulate the stunt.
Grant the ex-stoker.

Kristan Roberge

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

sha...@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) wrote:

> All of this reminds me of Milt Thompson and Bill Dana's scheme to go
> waterskiing behind the Bell 47 one time when Rogers Dry Lake had about
> two feet of water in it (maybe in '68 or '69, the year we had all that
> rain). Mr. Bickle saw Bill out on the ramp with his skis and forbade
> all such activities, much to Bill and Uncle Miltie's disappointment.

Also getting a tail-rotor in the face would not have been pleasant if
the helicopter slowed suddenly...

Mary Shafer

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

All of this reminds me of Milt Thompson and Bill Dana's scheme to go
waterskiing behind the Bell 47 one time when Rogers Dry Lake had about
two feet of water in it (maybe in '68 or '69, the year we had all that
rain). Mr. Bickle saw Bill out on the ramp with his skis and forbade
all such activities, much to Bill and Uncle Miltie's disappointment.
--
Mary Shafer NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer Of course I don't speak for NASA

Tarjei Jensen

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

At least one Norwegian submarine skipper tried to loop the loop in a submarine
after having seen the Top Gun movie. They got up to 60 degrees before they gave
up.

Greetings,

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen
// tar...@ulrik.uio.no || fax +47 51664292 || voice +47 51 85 87 39

Steve Atkatz

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

Sheeeeeiiit!!! PICKEREL (an ordinary Guppy) surfaced at 72 degrees back
in the 50's and I've got the picture to prove it.
--
A to Z
***************************************

Kristan Roberge

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

tar...@ulrik.uio.no (Tarjei Jensen) wrote:

> At least one Norwegian submarine skipper tried to loop the loop in a submarine
> after having seen the Top Gun movie. They got up to 60 degrees before they gave
> up.

It easier to barrel-roll the buggers...

Russell Norman

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

Obviously the Royal Australian Navy does not take such a dim view of
such activities.

A few years back, I saw a photograph in an official Navy book about
a long (around the world) deployment of HMAS Sydney (Frigate), where
out in the middle of the Indian Ocean three keen water skiers were
having a great time behind the ship. The photo also showed a
"pick-up" crew following the skiers in an inflatable.

According to naval officer friends, although not an "offical" part
of the ships activities, water skiing does occur from time to time
behind Australian warships.

Now skiing behind a submarine may be a completely different matter !

Russell

Mark Hutching

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

In article <Gary.A.Bushey-1...@app-8e4355.hitchcock.org>,

Gary A. Bushey <Gary.A...@Hitchcock.Org> wrote:

>On a similiar note, I remember seeing in an episode of "Quantum Leap" that
>some soldiers were water skiing behind a helicopter (the helicopter was
>towing the rope) during the Vietnam War. Does anyone know if this really
>did occur. It did not look like special effects and I do not know of any
>reason why this could not work, but I know very little about helicopters.

It is certainly possible. A while back ( maybe last winter ) here in NZ
, a guy skied behind ( under ? ) a helicopter on Wellington Harbour. It
might have even been barefoot. It was shown on the News. They put him in
the water from the wharf by hanging him from the towrope. Retrieved him
the same way.

Mark Hutching

Rig4Dive

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

We met Steve Atkatz <ato...@tribeca.ios.com>, who sagely advised:

= Sheeeeeiiit!!! PICKEREL (an ordinary Guppy) surfaced at 72 degrees back
= in the 50's and I've got the picture to prove it.

Not too shabby. Is this picture posted anywhere?

Rig

Johnnie -- http://www.voicenet.com/~rig4dive -- Rig4...@VoiceNet.COM
World Wide Web home to the largest personal submarine site in the
known world plus other random acts of terror, text and graphics.
"Save the whales!! Redeem them for valuable prizes!!" - BillD at G3

Steve Atkatz

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

See, Schratz, Paul R., "Submarine Commander". He was the CO, wrote a book
and printed the picture right in it.

BTW it's one hell of a book and you should read it even if he *hadn't*
put the picture in, I mean this guy was *Ape*. Also, available in
paperback.

Tim McFeely

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

Rig4...@voicenet.com (Rig4Dive) wrote:

>We met Steve Atkatz <ato...@tribeca.ios.com>, who sagely advised:

>= Sheeeeeiiit!!! PICKEREL (an ordinary Guppy) surfaced at 72 degrees back
>= in the 50's and I've got the picture to prove it.

>Not too shabby. Is this picture posted anywhere?

On the back wall of the Submarine Veterans Club, Groton, Connecticut.

>Rig

> Johnnie -- http://www.voicenet.com/~rig4dive -- Rig4...@VoiceNet.COM
> World Wide Web home to the largest personal submarine site in the
> known world plus other random acts of terror, text and graphics.
> "Save the whales!! Redeem them for valuable prizes!!" - BillD at G3

Scope's under...
Tim McFeely
ex-TM2(SS)...a dying breed
ad...@osfn.rhilinet.gov

Warren J. Madden

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

ad...@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Tim McFeely) wrote:

>Rig4...@voicenet.com (Rig4Dive) wrote:

>>We met Steve Atkatz <ato...@tribeca.ios.com>, who sagely advised:

>>= Sheeeeeiiit!!! PICKEREL (an ordinary Guppy) surfaced at 72 degrees back
>>= in the 50's and I've got the picture to prove it.

>>Not too shabby. Is this picture posted anywhere?

>On the back wall of the Submarine Veterans Club, Groton, Connecticut.

For those interested in this picture, I spotted it in the summer 96
issue of the magazine Battle Stations, page 27.

Warren J. Madden
wma...@erinet.com

Grant Ferris

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

Earlier in the thread there was mention of water-skiing behind
subs and helicopters, etc.

---I just came across a picture of a sailor dressed in a batman
costume water-skiing behind an HU51 helicopter.
Caption says photo taken off HMCS Shearwater (naval base)
during an air show. Who says only Aussies are crazy?
Grant.

Simon H. Lee

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

>---I just came across a picture of a sailor dressed in a batman
>costume water-skiing behind an HU51 helicopter.
> Caption says photo taken off HMCS Shearwater (naval base)
>during an air show. Who says only Aussies are crazy?
> Grant.

Hey, where did you find this picture? Can the rest of us get to
it?

Grant Ferris

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

The picture is in the book: "The Bonnie (HMCS Bonaventure)" by
J. Allen Snowie, and I borrowed the book from a friend.
Fantastic book but unfortunately, out of print. I am attempting
to contact the author in Guelph, Ontario who is, or was, a
commercial pilot to find out if he has any extra editions.

Grant.

Sandy Nelson

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96
to wma...@erinet.com

I think you had better take another look at the PICKEREL picture she
surfaced with a 48 degree bow up not 72 and for this I have a print of
the so called famous picture

Sandy

Doin' it deeper is doin' it better DBF

Sandy Nelson

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96
to wma...@erinet.com

William Richard Nelson

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96
to wma...@erinet.com

The ride to the roof that PICKEREL did was done at 48 degrees bow up not
72. I know of the photo and every caption I have ever seen with this
photo says 48 degrees. Think about it, 72 up and the boat would never
have recovered. Refer to a book called, of all things "SUBMARINES" by
Antony Preston.

Sandy

Doin' it deeper is doin' it better. DBF!

William Richard Nelson

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96
to wma...@erinet.com

I offer this as food for thought. PICKEREL surfaced at 48 degrees bow up
not 72 as you mentioned. The laws of pyshics, of which my knowledge is
limited, suggest that the boat would never have recovered from such an
ascent and would have slid backwards to a depth far greater than that
sustainable by a GUPPY. My reference is a book called, of all things,
"SUBMARINES" by Antony Preston. The photo I have seen many times and the
caption has always read 48 degrees.

Sandman

Doin' it deeper is doin' it better! DBF!!

Steve Atkatz

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Sandy Nelson wrote:

> I think you had better take another look at the PICKEREL picture she
> surfaced with a 48 degree bow up not 72 and for this I have a print of
> the so called famous picture
>
> Sandy
>
> Doin' it deeper is doin' it better DBF

Wrong, Bubble Breath!!! It was 72 and you can see *That* picture on Don
Merrigans Homepage:

http://www.subnet.com

Just look up PICKEREL in the listing of Diesel Boats and measure the
angle. Also the CO, Paul R. Schratz, is quite specific about the 72
degrees is his book "Submarine Commander" (sorry I don't have the ISBN#
handy).

Steve Atkatz

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96
> Doin' it deeper is doin' it better! DBF!!

Sheeeeeiiit!!!!! And I always thought that you Aussies were *REAL*
submariners. Hell, we have our sub school students routinely practice
emergency surfaces at >48 degrees <gdr>.

Andy Dingley

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

The moving finger of William Richard Nelson <wrnelson@ozemail\>com.au>
having written:

>Think about it, 72 up and the boat would never have recovered.

Why ? What's the limiting factor on the angle ?

Does reactor cooling or battery spill play a part in this ?

--
Do whales have krillfiles ?

Rod Adams

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

William Richard Nelson <wrne...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>I offer this as food for thought. PICKEREL surfaced at 48 degrees bow up
>not 72 as you mentioned. The laws of pyshics, of which my knowledge is
>limited, suggest that the boat would never have recovered from such an
>ascent and would have slid backwards to a depth far greater than that
>sustainable by a GUPPY. My reference is a book called, of all things,
>"SUBMARINES" by Antony Preston. The photo I have seen many times and the
>caption has always read 48 degrees.
>
>Sandman
>
>Doin' it deeper is doin' it better! DBF!!

Sorry to get involved in an argument, but the real angle was indeed
72 degrees.

There is a copy of the picture in the central photo section of one
of the best submarine books I have ever read titled "Submarine
Commander" by Paul R. Schratz. Captain Schratz happened to have
been the CO of Pickerel at the time of the "big angle."

Here is Captain Schratz's description of the event (from page 260)

"For the big angle, I decided to sart at five hundred feet. The first
sharp up angle would throw the stern deep, and I did not want the aft
compartments, the weakest on the ship, to go below six hundred feet.
We were making eighteen knots. The diving officer commenced blowing
all the forward tanks until he could no longer hold the ship on
an even keel, then threw the bow and stern planes on full rise and
hung on. It took only microseconds to break the surface; we came
out at seventy-two degrees."

I had the opportunity one time to talk to Capt Schratz about this
event at a submarine heros reception at USNA. His verbal description
was even better.

Rod Adams
Adams Atomic Engines, Inc.
http://www.opennet.com/AAE

W. ROLLINS

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Sandy Nelson com.au> (wrnelson@ozemail\) wrote:
: I think you had better take another look at the PICKEREL picture she
: surfaced with a 48 degree bow up not 72 and for this I have a print of
: the so called famous picture
: Sandy
: Doin' it deeper is doin' it better DBF

How many times do I have to read the same damn post? Jezuz Sandy, you'd
think we'd get your opinion after the first 10 or 12 times. 48 degrees or
72 degrees don't matter, I'm glad I wasn't the messcrank.

BiNM

Andrew Jaremkow

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Steve Atkatz <ato...@tribeca.ios.com> wrote:

>Sandy Nelson wrote:
>>
>> I think you had better take another look at the PICKEREL picture she
>> surfaced with a 48 degree bow up not 72 and for this I have a print of
>> the so called famous picture
>>
>> Sandy
>>
>> Doin' it deeper is doin' it better DBF

>Wrong, Bubble Breath!!! It was 72 and you can see *That* picture on Don
>Merrigans Homepage:

> http://www.subnet.com

>Just look up PICKEREL in the listing of Diesel Boats and measure the
>angle. Also the CO, Paul R. Schratz, is quite specific about the 72
>degrees is his book "Submarine Commander" (sorry I don't have the ISBN#
>handy).

Well, I just hopped over to the site in question, called up the
picture , and slapped my trusty transparent protracter on the screen.
The result? About 53 degrees. And since the sub is surfacing at an
angle towards the photographer the angle in the photograph will be
greater than the actual angle. So 48 sounds about right. Impressive
all the same though...

Andrew Jaremkow
jo...@wchat.on.ca

me

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

On Tue, 06 Aug 1996 21:03:58 GMT, jo...@wchat.on.ca (Andrew Jaremkow)
wrote:

I 've been following this with interest and went looking for that
pic, didnt have any luck finding it at all. Can one of you point
out where this particulaur picture is.

Tnx

Kean Stump

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

I've got to be missing something, either in the thread or on the page.
I was expecting a picture of the Pickerel surfacing at an extreme angle,
and the picture I see is of the Pickerel surfaced, sitting there.

Is this thread about the rake of the prow?

Bemusedly,
Kean
--
Kean Stump Network Engineering
ke...@nws.orst.edu Oregon State University

Curtis Wiseman

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Check http://www.subnet.com/ss524.htm for THE picture.

bmu...@mednet.swmed.edu

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

Steve Atkatz wrote:

> Sandy Nelson wrote:
> >
> > I think you had better take another look at the PICKEREL picture she
> > surfaced with a 48 degree bow up not 72 and for this I have a print of
> > the so called famous picture
> >
> > Sandy
> >
> > Doin' it deeper is doin' it better DBF
>
> Wrong, Bubble Breath!!! It was 72 and you can see *That* picture on Don
> Merrigans Homepage:
>
> http://www.subnet.com
>
> Just look up PICKEREL in the listing of Diesel Boats and measure the
> angle. Also the CO, Paul R. Schratz, is quite specific about the 72
> degrees is his book "Submarine Commander" (sorry I don't have the ISBN#
> handy).
>
> --
> A to Z
> ***************************************
> Age and Treachery will always prevail
> Over Youth and Vigor. DBF!!!

WOW, What a angle and dangle.

the pic says it is 45-50 degrees based on the deck and baseline
intersection (for the baseline used the horizontal line formed from the
bottom of the picture)
--
Bruce Musgrove
bmu...@mednet.swmed.edu

"Always reach for new heights. Use the drapes, that is what they are
there for."

from the musings of Master Meow

Dave Wagner

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

Curtis Wiseman <wsm...@smtpgate.lmtas.lmco.com> wrote:

>Check http://www.subnet.com/ss524.htm for THE picture.

Ya know, it's hard to keep these threads seperate. I went
there looking for the go-go dancer.

Dave Wagner

BlackBeard

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

In article <4uas8s$h...@usenet.pa.dec.com>, wag...@zso.dec.com (Dave
Wagner) wrote:

I believe that subject is covered under either "Ancient Roman tactics
used on Iowa vs. Yamata using Tai 'Chi, Who would Win?" or "Do the French
Really Neeed Jimmy Stewart To Fly Black Helicopters".

But I could be wrong
;)

BlackBeard
-. .- -..- --.-
De Profundis

Dave Wagner

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

th...@reader.makes.me.doThis (BlackBeard) wrote:

> I believe that subject is covered under either "Ancient Roman tactics
>used on Iowa vs. Yamata using Tai 'Chi, Who would Win?" or "Do the French
>Really Neeed Jimmy Stewart To Fly Black Helicopters".

If the Iowa had a tailhook.... (na, never mind)

Dave Wagner

Gareth Bull

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

th...@reader.makes.me.doThis (BlackBeard) wrote:
> wag...@zso.dec.com (Dave Wagner) wrote:
>> Curtis Wiseman <wsm...@smtpgate.lmtas.lmco.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Check http://www.subnet.com/ss524.htm for THE picture.
>>
>> Ya know, it's hard to keep these threads seperate. I went
>> there looking for the go-go dancer.

> I believe that subject is covered under either "Ancient Roman tactics

>used on Iowa vs. Yamata using Tai 'Chi, Who would Win?" or "Do the French
>Really Neeed Jimmy Stewart To Fly Black Helicopters".

No, it's "Could an Iowa land on a carrier if it used it's rudder as a
tail hook?"

Or more importantly, "Spearfish Vs Phoenix: who would win?".

Gareth Bull
Garet...@CC.Monash.edu.au
I'm just a jaywalker on the Information-Cul de sac

James Valentine

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

[ Text Deleted]

>I had the opportunity one time to talk to Capt Schratz about this
>event at a submarine heros reception at USNA. His verbal description
>was even better.
>
>Rod Adams

>http://www.opennet.com/AAE

You should also talk with the CO of the CHOPPER (SS-342)
about her last dive. After they hit the "Chicken Switches" at
depth they did an UP 98. That's not a typo, they did an UP
98 degree angle before they got her under control. She almost
went completely over onto her back. Her actual depth will
never be known, but when she got to the surface they found
that the forward ballast tanks and parts of the pressure
hull had began to crumple. Like Schratz, he had some very
interesting things to say about her little adventure.

I am surprised that the CHOPPER has not been mentioned
before.

Tim McFeely

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

Sandy Nelson <wrnelson@ozemail\>com.au> wrote:

>I think you had better take another look at the PICKEREL picture she
>surfaced with a 48 degree bow up not 72 and for this I have a print of
>the so called famous picture

OK, you got a print -- I got a picture. Prove your print is right.
Prove your calculations of broach angle are right. In fact disprove
(using other than a protractor on a print method) that Master Chief
Atkatz was wrong in the statement that the Pickeral was displaying a
72 degree attitude at broach.

>Sandy

>Doin' it deeper is doin' it better DBF

Deeper than you have ever been...

Tim McFeely

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

din...@codesmth.demon.co.uk (Andy Dingley) wrote:

>The moving finger of William Richard Nelson <wrnelson@ozemail\>com.au>
>having written:

>>Think about it, 72 up and the boat would never have recovered.

>Why ? What's the limiting factor on the angle ?

Imagination???? Depth and speed help reach the above.

>Does reactor cooling or battery spill play a part in this ?

Reactor?? On a diesel boat?

>--
>Do whales have krillfiles ?

wild one

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

Tim McFeely (ad...@osfn.rhilinet.gov) wrote:
: OK, you got a print -- I got a picture. Prove your print is right.

: Prove your calculations of broach angle are right. In fact disprove
: (using other than a protractor on a print method) that Master Chief
: Atkatz was wrong in the statement that the Pickeral was displaying a
: 72 degree attitude at broach.

I'm willing to believe it was at 360 degrees. I'm just a little tired of
hearing the BS about it. Some sub went straight up until gravity took
over before gravity relegated it to sea level, BFD. They were still
nothing but targets for real sailors.

BiNM

Grant Ferris

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

On 11 Aug 1996 06:15:05 GMT, wrol...@moink.nmsu.edu (wild one) wrote:
playing a

>I'm willing to believe it was at 360 degrees. I'm just a little tired of
>hearing the BS about it. Some sub went straight up until gravity took
>over before gravity relegated it to sea level, BFD. They were still
>nothing but targets for real sailors.
>
>BiNM

---At last ! Thanks William, a bit of common sense that I am sure many
will applaud

.
Grant
----

For every mile of good road,there are two miles of ditch.
( motto of Bruce County, Ontario)

Justin Key

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

wrol...@moink.nmsu.edu (wild one) wrote:

> Some sub went straight up until gravity took
>over before gravity relegated it to sea level, BFD. They were still
>nothing but targets for real sailors.

Which makes a change - surface vessels normally being nothing but
floating bullseyes for a sub crew to turn into so much burning steel
(or magnesium / aluminum alloy nowadays) whenever they feel like it.

Justin