chalazion - cold compress ?

bob mediw

May 3, 2002, 6:29:19 AM5/3/02
My eye doctor reccomends aplying cold compress to my newly formed
chalazion. He says warm compress will cause it to leak into a new
area, forming another small cyst. But every health website seems to
reccomend using _warm_ compress.

Medically, how does applying a compress help ? And which , hot or
cold, should i use ?

Thanks,

bm

Mike Tyner

May 3, 2002, 8:39:30 AM5/3/02
Chalazia get softer and drain more easily with heat. Can't imagine why
anyone would recommend cold.

-MT

"bob mediw" <med...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

20/Happy

May 3, 2002, 12:01:38 PM5/3/02
I religiously applied warm compresses to my chalazion 4 times a day.
Essentially it had no effect (although I suppose it helped initially) and
now (a year later) I am left with persistent chalazia in BOTH eyes
(fortunately just one in each) and am waiting for surgical intervention.

I hope you don't go through the same routine; good luck.

Bobby

"Mike Tyner" <mty...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Mike Tyner

May 3, 2002, 2:56:15 PM5/3/02
What was the alternative? Cut it open sooner, rather than later? Since most
of them go away, it's better practice not to cut them open until they've
granulated and become permanent.

-MT

"20/Happy" <20H...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

20/Happy

May 3, 2002, 4:05:13 PM5/3/02
The alternative, I suppose, is to do nothing. I was told that they may go
away after a few months, no matter what you do to them.

As mine are still around, they are apparently in the granulated state. Not
bothersome but not very pretty either! ;-) I'm just waiting in the queue to
get them serviced.

BTW, to the original post, all I did was take some hot tap water in a basin,
mix a little salt in there, heat it up some more in the microwave. Then I'd
take a facecloth, dab it in the water, and apply it directly to the closed
eyelid.

Ouch. Did this for months, and I still have the little rascals. LOL maybe I
should have tried cold water!

Bobby

"Mike Tyner" <mty...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Larry Bickford

May 4, 2002, 1:17:51 AM5/4/02
In article <k5CA8.7128$op.12...@read2.cgocable.net>,
"20/Happy" <20H...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The alternative, I suppose, is to do nothing. I was told that they may go
> away after a few months, no matter what you do to them.
>
> As mine are still around, they are apparently in the granulated state. Not
> bothersome but not very pretty either! ;-) I'm just waiting in the queue to
> get them serviced.
>
> BTW, to the original post, all I did was take some hot tap water in a basin,
> mix a little salt in there, heat it up some more in the microwave. Then I'd
> take a facecloth, dab it in the water, and apply it directly to the closed
> eyelid.
>
> Ouch. Did this for months, and I still have the little rascals. LOL maybe I
> should have tried cold water!

Well there you go! It was TOO hot! ;-)

Sometimes if you do it often enough and long enough they go away,
Sometimes the go way in spite of what you do. Sometimes they just don't.

But if you can avoid doctors holding sharp instruments in their hands,
that's usually a good plan.

(Add: steroid injection into the lesion is sometimes effective, if you
like shots.)

--Larry

--
Larry Bickford, O.D.
Family Practice Eye & Vision Care

Dr Judy

May 5, 2002, 9:47:45 PM5/5/02

"bob mediw" <med...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Warm is what you should use. The hot/cold blue gel paks work well. Drop
the pak into just boiled water, steep until it is warm then wrap in a face
cloth or hand towel and apply over the eye for 5 - 10 minutes several time a
day. Don't keep it on so long that you damage the skin.

It works by increasing blood flow to the area and there are components in
your blood that will take care of the chalazion (most of the time).
Sometimes your body decides to keep it and then you will need surgical
removal. The usual recommendation is to wait six months to a year to see if
it goes away on its own.

Larry Bickford

May 5, 2002, 10:03:46 PM5/5/02
Here's a really interesting, extra-healthy way to do warm/hot
compresses: (And don't laugh until you've finished reading!)

Cut a medium size potato in half, the short way.
Put on half in microwave oven for two minutes (or so)
Remove hot potato and place moistened wash cloth or towel over cut end.
Place "compress device" where it needs to be.

Stays hot for a respectable amount of time!

When you're done, remove wet towel and return potato to oven to complete
cooking.

Eat it.

It's truly amazing what we can learn in CE (continuing education)
classes!

The Real Bev

May 5, 2002, 11:24:05 PM5/5/02
Larry Bickford wrote:

> Here's a really interesting, extra-healthy way to do warm/hot
> compresses: (And don't laugh until you've finished reading!)
>
> Cut a medium size potato in half, the short way.
> Put on half in microwave oven for two minutes (or so)
> Remove hot potato and place moistened wash cloth or towel over cut end.
> Place "compress device" where it needs to be.
>
> Stays hot for a respectable amount of time!
>
> When you're done, remove wet towel and return potato to oven to complete
> cooking.
>
> Eat it.
>
> It's truly amazing what we can learn in CE (continuing education)
> classes!

I like that. I generally nuke potatoes until they shrivel a bit (maybe 5
minutes for a 2" spud), which might make shaping them to fit the body part a
bit easier. By the time they cool, they're cool enough to eat. Little red
potatoes are best for this sort of thing because they don't really need
butter, just a bit of salt.

--
Cheers,
Bev

sro...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2016, 4:23:09 PM2/20/16
Did it work?

kimayca...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2016, 7:11:33 AM7/2/16
I also have a chalazion on my left eye and it is really damn annoying, i went to the opthal for a check up and he suggested to apply cold compress every day. But I told him that i browse the internet for some home treatments and they keep on saying that i should use warm compress or tea bags for improvement but unfortunately nothing happen :( based on my observation cold compress is better than a warm compress because it lightens my chalazion for a week but it is still there :( ill just wait for an improvement on the next next days

cruzfr...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2020, 3:18:53 AM4/12/20
did it work?

cruzfr...@gmail.com