trapezoid vision with new eyeglasses

Spintronicus

Aug 3, 2008, 12:18:33 PM8/3/08
This is the first time I am using prescription eyeglasses. My RX is:

right: -.75 sph,
left -.25 -1.25X180.

When I look at my computer screen with the glasses on, the screen
looks like a trapezoid on its side. The right side is narrower than
the left. The effect is not as noticable when I look at distant
objects, like TV from a distance. What can be a cause of this? Is it
just an adjustment period, since I haven't used Rx glasses before?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Tyner

Aug 3, 2008, 1:35:17 PM8/3/08

"Spintronicus" <spintr...@gmail.com> wrote

> objects, like TV from a distance. What can be a cause of this? Is it
> just an adjustment period, since I haven't used Rx glasses before?

It's typical to feel that way for a few days, even more, with your first
pair.

Lenses that change the focus of light have inevitable side effects leading
to distortion like this.

Fitting the lenses close to your eye can minimize the effect, so frame
selection and frame adjustment can help, but only so much. The only other
way to reduce it is to have the glasses remade less sharp.

Usually it becomes a non-issue when you get used to it.

-MT

Spintronicus

Aug 3, 2008, 2:42:19 PM8/3/08
Do you mean the effect goes away after I get used to the glasses and
then I start seeing rectangles properly again? or will it stay the
same but won't bother me much? Do contact lenses have the same effect?
I may consider switching to them if they don't have any of these
problems.

I thought it might be an issue with the lenses and was going to ask
them to be redone. It's too bad if I am stuck with the distorted
vision.

Thanks for the answer!

Mike

On Aug 3, 1:35 pm, "Mike Tyner" <mty...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "Spintronicus" <spintroni...@gmail.com> wrote

Mike Tyner

Aug 3, 2008, 5:41:49 PM8/3/08

"Spintronicus" <spintr...@gmail.com> wrote
.

> Do you mean the effect goes away after I get used to the
> glasses and then I start seeing rectangles properly again?

Yes.

> or will it stay the same but won't bother me much?

Yes. :)

Both statements are true to some extent, because your perception of "square"
is fluid enough that your brain wraps itself around a new perception after a
few days or a couple of weeks. To accellerate the adaptation, wear them
full-time at first.

> Do contact lenses have the same effect?

They would, if they were worn the same distance off your eye. The distortion
is multiplied by the distance between the lens and the eye, which is near
zero with contacts.

> I may consider switching to them if they don't have any of these
> problems.

They have their own problems. Wait and see how this goes. If you get
headaches, or you can't tolerate the effect after 2-3 weeks, take them back
and ask if the Rx might be too strong.

> I thought it might be an issue with the lenses and was going to ask
> them to be redone. It's too bad if I am stuck with the distorted
> vision.

Re-doing with the same Rx and the same frame would change nothing. Adjusting
the frame so the lenses fit closer to your eyes can make a lot of
difference.

-MT

Spintronicus

Aug 3, 2008, 8:24:33 PM8/3/08
Thanks a lot for the answers, but my whole plan was to use the
eyeglasses only occasionally, while driving, watching TV, etc. If my
brain adjusts to the distorted vision with the glasses, would I start
seeing trapezoids when I am not wearing them? :)

On Aug 3, 5:41 pm, "Mike Tyner" <mty...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "Spintronicus" <spintroni...@gmail.com> wrote

Mike Tyner

Aug 3, 2008, 9:24:44 PM8/3/08

"Spintronicus" <spintr...@gmail.com> wrote

>Thanks a lot for the answers, but my whole plan was to use the
> eyeglasses only occasionally, while driving, watching TV, etc.

I only said wear them full time "at first."

> If my
> brain adjusts to the distorted vision with the glasses, would I start
> seeing trapezoids when I am not wearing them? :)

But nobody complains of that, despite the fact that lots of people wear
glasses stronger than yours.

Adapting to the new perceptual framework doesn't eliminate your ability to
perceive "square" when the distortion is taken away. Like learning French
doesn't make you forget English.

It's a good bet that it won't bother you a week from now.

If it does, adjustments like "face form" sometimes make a dramatic
difference, and if not, a remake with new frames, or a customized fitting
height, vertex distance, or base curve can all be manipulated to reduce the
effect. The lens material, index of refraction and Abbe' number won't matter
so much in your case.

-MT

kgof...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2013, 5:57:43 AM10/23/13
Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same problem with my eyeglasses.

I started using eyeglasses two weeks ago, the first time I started using them everything was clear except that my laptop lid/screen was shaped trapezoid (wide on top and normal size down the screen), after a week I looked at my screen not wearing them and the screen was trapezoid with (wide down the screen and normal size on top) and still even when I wear them the vision is still the same after two weeks. My Optometrist say that I will get used to them in time, please advise if this will not cause permanent damage to my eyesight.

Thanks

Science_Research

Oct 23, 2013, 7:50:03 AM10/23/13
Hi Spin,

Subject: An excessive "astigmatic" component can create headaches.

I personally always request that I be provided with a lens with no astigmatic (cylinder) component - because of that trapezoid effect of that cylinder. The "spherical equivalent", that will still give you excellent vision would be approximately -.5 to -.75 diopters for your left eye. I would consult with your OD about that request. I have always achieved excellent vision with no astigmatic component.

amita...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2013, 10:53:15 AM10/23/13

Can you keep me updated on this? I just got new glasses and my laptop screen is a trapezoid. Now if I get used to this will the world look trapezid/

dumbstruck

Oct 24, 2013, 4:27:24 PM10/24/13
The last poster should have included their prescription, which likely has astig correction. Unfortunately with astigmatism you will see trapazoids instead of rectangles more or less with or without glasses... you will just have to get used to them. The way this cyl defect grows is usually mirrored in axis for each eye, so it will make rectangles look like a keystone (wide at top or bottom).

Now they could have gotten the cyl prescription wrong or the glasses could be built with the wrong cyl, but warped perception of rectangles are bit proof of this. Maybe you have a whole different issue... consider NOT USING full distance glasses for close work if you don't need it... especially if you are near sighted. It CAN be harmful, although highly contraversial here. You can get special reading versions of your prescription if you tell your doc the distance to your computer screen.

The Real Bev

Oct 24, 2013, 9:39:59 PM10/24/13
On 10/24/2013 01:27 PM, dumbstruck wrote:

> The last poster should have included their prescription, which likely
> has astig correction. Unfortunately with astigmatism you will see
> trapazoids instead of rectangles more or less with or without
> glasses... you will just have to get used to them. The way this cyl
> defect grows is usually mirrored in axis for each eye, so it will
> make rectangles look like a keystone (wide at top or bottom).

Makes stars look like Xs. In my case, even with glasses. For over 40
years. Mhe brain seems to take care of the shapes of ordinary things,
but it just can't handle stars, bright lights, etc.

--
Cheers, Bev
Giving advice likely to kill the stupid is called passive eugenics.

k.fagan...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2015, 11:42:36 AM8/4/15
i'm having the same problem. it's tough to try to get used to the new glasses as I'm a graphic designer and the trapezoids make my work look all kooky. i'm on my third change of glasses in as many weeks. i went from transitions to bifocals to single lenses for computer work. it's making me nuts. i may just have to carry on without glasses.

The Real Bev

Aug 4, 2015, 3:35:52 PM8/4/15
On 08/04/2015 08:42 AM, k.fagan...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 4:50:03 AM UTC-7, Science_Research
> wrote:
>> Hi Spin,
>>
>> Subject: An excessive "astigmatic" component can create headaches.
>>
>> I personally always request that I be provided with a lens with no
>> astigmatic (cylinder) component - because of that trapezoid effect
>> of that cylinder. The "spherical equivalent", that will still give
>> you excellent vision would be approximately -.5 to -.75 diopters
>> for your left eye. I would consult with your OD about that
>> request. I have always achieved excellent vision with no
>> astigmatic component.
>>
>> On Sunday, August 3, 2008 12:18:33 PM UTC-4, Spintronicus wrote:
>>> This is the first time I am using prescription eyeglasses. My RX
>>> is:
>>>
>>> right: -.75 sph, left -.25 -1.25X180.
>>>
>>> When I look at my computer screen with the glasses on, the
>>> screen looks like a trapezoid on its side. The right side is
>>> narrower than the left. The effect is not as noticable when I
>>> look at distant objects, like TV from a distance. What can be a
>>> cause of this? Is it just an adjustment period, since I haven't
>>> used Rx glasses before?

I've worn glasses for a long time. A few pair were badly made, and I
knew that immediately -- waiting a week didn't help. The others might
have felt odd for a few hours, but no more than that.

> i'm having the same problem. it's tough to try to get used to the new
> glasses as I'm a graphic designer and the trapezoids make my work
> look all kooky. i'm on my third change of glasses in as many weeks. i
> went from transitions to bifocals to single lenses for computer work.
> it's making me nuts. i may just have to carry on without glasses.

I have 2.5D of astigmatism and paid $2K extra to get rid of it when I
had my cataracts done. When I had the first one done I used +1.5 cheap
reading glasses when I was at the computer and just ignored the crap the
other eye saw. My computer screen was indeed trapezoidal, but at some
point it stopped. I think my brain finally figured out how to correct
for the possible distortion.

I still need reading glasses, but they're cheap (a buck) enough to be
disposable.

I just forced myself to sit back and look at the shape of the screen
itself, and it is indeed a tiny bit trapezoidal, but with the narrow
part at the top rather than the bottom as it was previously.

'Transitions' lenses are a good way to drive yourself mad. I bought
some transitions sunglasses at the 99-cent store, and having to bob my
head around to get the clearest vision sucked badly. Regular bifocals
were definitely better.

I was happiest using single-vision glasses for computer and book reading
(different glasses). A nuisance to have to drag around so many pair of
glasses, but that's what handbags are for :-).

Try to use your new glasses long enough for your brain to sort things
out. Sharpness rules!

--
Cheers, Bev
If I gave a shit, you'd be the first one I'd give it to.

lesam...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2015, 10:37:25 AM8/28/15
I just wanted to put this out there. I'm a filmmaker/photographer and editor so I too cannot live with what was happening with the trapezoids and reading 2-3 words at a time moving my head around to find focus. I just came back from the eye doc after having trapezoid/headache problems with my new and first ever pair of eyeglasses/progressives. I also have an astigmatism. I had looked online to see many others with similar problems and replies telling them they should give it a few weeks to get used to. I asked the doc about this and he said absolutely not. You should not see trapezoids, you should not get headaches, the astigmatism should not come into play and it should take no more than 2 or 3 days to get used to the lenses. If you are experiencing problems you should take them back to the eyeglasses place and have them refitted. The way they measure where your pupils are is critical and mine were WAY off. The doc also went on to say that if the eyeglasses maker tells you to try them for 2 or 3 weeks, to RUN and find another place. Good Luck.

rwt...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 9:39:17 AM8/16/16
You are absolutely correct. I have worn glasses for 40 years and never saw trapezoids until this new pair. The glasses are defective. Take them back.

steve...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2016, 2:02:06 PM8/24/16
I just got glasses (astigmatism) for the first time and am seeing the same thing! Text is super clear but when looking at the monitor on my right, it looks like |/ and when looking at the monitor to my left it looks like \|. My optician says to give it a couple days to see if it goes away, but it's hard to imagine that it will.

I noticed that the shape of the lens matches the distortion. If I look at the lenses while they are laying flat, the right/bottom corner of the right lens curves in more than the left/bottom corner of the right lens (same vice-a-versa).

Is this just a side-effect of wearing glasses or is there a fix for this?

My Rx:

Cyl Axis
Right: -0.75 122
Left: -0.25 058

The Real Bev

Aug 24, 2016, 11:35:19 PM8/24/16
On 08/24/2016 11:02 AM, steve...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 12:18:33 PM UTC-4, Spintronicus wrote:
>> This is the first time I am using prescription eyeglasses. My RX
>> is: right: -.75 sph, left -.25 -1.25X180.
>>
>> When I look at my computer screen with the glasses on, the screen
>> looks like a trapezoid on its side. The right side is narrower
>> than the left. The effect is not as noticable when I look at
>> distant objects, like TV from a distance. What can be a cause of
>> this? Is it just an adjustment period, since I haven't used Rx
>> glasses before?
>
> I just got glasses (astigmatism) for the first time and am seeing the
> same thing! Text is super clear but when looking at the monitor on my
> right, it looks like |/ and when looking at the monitor to my left it
> looks like \|. My optician says to give it a couple days to see if it
> goes away, but it's hard to imagine that it will.
>
> I noticed that the shape of the lens matches the distortion. If I
> look at the lenses while they are laying flat, the right/bottom
> corner of the right lens curves in more than the left/bottom corner
> of the right lens (same vice-a-versa).
>
> Is this just a side-effect of wearing glasses or is there a fix for
> this?
>
> My Rx:
>
> Cyl Axis
Right: -0.75 122
Left: -0.25 058

Before my cataract surgery I had between 2 and 3D of astigmatism in each
eye and glasses (over a period of 40 years) were always an improvement
-- with exceptions of two pair that were just made wrong. The sudden
clarity could have masked any geometric oddity -- I just can't remember
that being a problem.

Give your brain a few days to sort it out. That's what I'm doing with
my monovision contacts (just got 2 days ago), which I thought I wouldn't
be able to tolerate but which seems to be becoming more acceptable.

--
Cheers, Bev
"No matter how cynical I get, it's just never enough to keep up."

primem...@gmail.com

May 17, 2017, 2:11:04 PM5/17/17
I just got a new pair of (expensive) glasses and as soon as I put them on in the ophthalmologist office everything looked disorientating, but I figured that I would get used to them (although I never had this experience with other glasses that I bought). But then when I went home, I was trying to cut a rectangular piece of wood and the funny thing was that no matter how carefully I cut the sides, the sides wouldn't look square. I put the piece of wood on a right angle ruler and it showed the sides were perfectly square. Also the left side of the wood piece looked taller than the right side. Then when I went into my car, my steering wheel looked crooked. The left side looked pushed in and the right side looked pulled out. This distortion seems to only affect objects that are like 2-3 ft away, but objects further away look normal.
I found this site and others saying that in 2-3 weeks you should get used to it. But others comments said this could harm your eyes and that there should never be this kind of distortion.
I went back to the ophthalmologist and they thought that they might be able to adjust the nose piece to get rid of this distortion (although I didn't think this was possible, because the distortion existed no matter how I looked thru the lenses). The optical tech took my glasses in the back room and then came out and went to another room, then after about 20 min came out and said that she first used some manual machine to see if there were any distortions in the lens, but found none. Then she used a more sophisticated laser machine and found a distortion in one of the lenses. She told me that you should never see trapezoids or any other distortion and that a long time ago she once saw waves when she bought a new pair of glasses and that she probably could have gotten used to it eventually, but she says you never want your eyes to get use to a distortion, even if your eyes will eventually adjust. She sent my glasses back to the manufacture (zeis) to get the lens recut. I'll never accept any distortion going forward, ask to have a laser shot thru them to see if there are any distortions in the lens.

prudh...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2017, 1:33:22 PM6/24/17
Hi Lesam,
Please help me on this...I have been facing this problem from one month. I changed 4 glasses..now somewhat better but still tgere is some tropezoid shape exists ..Don't you think it is prescription problem rather than optical shop guy? I mean the problem may be in eye checkup? Please reply

The Real Bev

Jun 24, 2017, 4:52:07 PM6/24/17
Your doc should be able to check the glasses to see if the prescription
is correct. If the glasses match his prescription he should be able to
explain your problem. Good luck!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Why does everybody always forget the eigthth dwarf? Just because

primem...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2017, 7:11:20 PM7/10/17
Update:
The dr sent my glasses back to zeis, i got them back and same exact issue still. Then the dr tried my glasses on and he could see the trapezoids too. He then gave me another examination and said that he would slightly change my prescription for an astigmatism. Apparently zeis then a few weeks later sent the glasses back and before the dr called me, he tried them on and could still see the trapezoid, so he sent them back a 3rd time.

I just got them back on Sat and the trapezoid affect is still there, but slightly better. Zeis took it upon themselves to remove the polished edge, thinking that not allowing in so much light might help. Not sure if adjusting the astigmatism helped (a little) or if removing the polished side helped (a little). But then i tried to read on my iphone and now reading is blurry. With my old glasses or with no glasses at all i can read perfectly find, but not with these new glasses (my glasses are for seeing long distance only).

I took the glasses back again to the dr and he had me put the new glasses on and then put a glass lens over one of my eyes and i could read better. So now he says that i need progressives. It's a bit confusing, i told him that i can read fine with no glasses or with my old glasses on. He says that the new high def glasses are causing me not to read correctly, but the original new glasses (without the astigmatism) i could read fine with...it seems that the astigmatisim adjustment that he made made my reading worse. He also said that he researched and found that these new zeis (iprofiler) lenses are known for causing trapezoids and that i just need to get use to them.

I asked the optical tech, well, if the original glasses and the new glasses both still cause me to see trapezoids and that i just need to get use to them, then i'd like to go back to the original prescription, because with those i had no problem with reading (or seeing long distance). The dr though refused and said that he would not change the prescription back to the original.

so now i got a new charge for progressives, which i'm now nervous could make my eyes worse and the trapezoid affect is still there...not to mention, with the frames, all the testing and the lenses, i paid about $800 for these glasses.

rskum...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2017, 10:32:13 AM8/1/17
Hi All,

I too faced the similar problem. I changed 2 glasses and still could see the change in shape. I consulted the eye specialist doctor and Dr recommended me to go for corneal topography (scanning of cornea). From the reports, it has been proved that i am having keratoconus. Keratoconus is a phenomenon where our cornea shape changes like cone. Astigmatism is also same but the difference is here the cornea shape gets changing. I asked my doctor if that is the case how can i see distortion buying glass just after a week of eye checkup. Doctor said that its because the shape is in such a way that it cant be corrected well by specs; it can be corrected but the positioning placement should be correct which is not reliable in specs. Suggested to go for contact lenses in that case. So i would recommend you to ask doctor for corneal topography (not expensive) and check for keratoconus.

Note: To know why contact lenses is better than specs, you can also watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLdwZw1VXi0

Regards,
Suresh Kumar

lesam...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2017, 10:55:26 PM8/6/17
Hi all, I thought I'd update this post. (I know, it's been a year!) - so the trapezoid issue was the lens manufacturer. I spent 4 months going back and forth to the place I purchased them from, they told me it was the shape, size, bend - and that I should give up on progressives, so bought separate readers and driving glasses - still saw trapezoids. I gave them a month to get used to and although it got better, it wasn't great. Editing was still very difficult.

Long story short - I went to another manufacturer and had no problems! I even bought some cheap back ups online - no problems and using progressives. Don't let anyone tell you trapezoids are normal! Good luck, cheers.

passiv...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2018, 8:33:41 PM2/10/18
On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 9:55:26 PM UTC-5, lesam...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all, I thought I'd update this post. (I know, it's been a year!) - so the trapezoid issue was the lens manufacturer. I spent 4 months going back and forth to the place I purchased them from, they told me it was the shape, size, bend - and that I should give up on progressives, so bought separate readers and driving glasses - still saw trapezoids. I gave them a month to get used to and although it got better, it wasn't great. Editing was still very difficult.
>
> Long story short - I went to another manufacturer and had no problems! I even bought some cheap back ups online - no problems and using progressives. Don't let anyone tell you trapezoids are normal! Good luck, cheers.

Hello,
What was the manufacturer. I'm not fooled by this problem, I've had it with regular glasses as well. the one lens was off by around 60% off horizontal. so if you tip the glasses and look through them you can see when they focus correctly. What burns me up is that the store tries to tell you that you need to get use to them! yea Right! The left side of my car steering wheel looks around 8" closer then the right side like someone pushed it in on the right.

The Real Bev

Feb 10, 2018, 9:00:34 PM2/10/18
If you don't get used to your new glasses within a few hours (or
minutes) there's something wrong with them.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared

bsnl.su...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 8:37:46 AM3/12/18
I recently got new glasses (basically new frames,
prescription is sph +0.5 cyl -0.25 axis 100 add +1.25 on right eye left plain ) after wearing my progressive lense.
This is annoying since I work on the computer a lot and my flat screen
looks like a trapezoid (not pronounced trapezoid, but I can tell the
difference) and the sides of the document are slanted inward. Does
anyone know if this is normal? I called my optometrist and they
suggested to wait a couple of days for my eyes to adjust and if it
still happens again to come visit them. But I'm not sure if I'm just
being paranoid or being overly concerned. Has anyone experienced
this? Thanks.
subhash

juliann...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2018, 7:55:18 PM3/19/18
So glad I found this thread!

I have been wearing glasses / contacts since 1983. My prescription includes astigmatism correction, which it seems is the source of this trapezoid situation. (Mine also includes a dept perception issue in which a slight grade (5%) looks like a sharp drop (45%) angle. Terrifying feeling. Ditto for going down stairs. Plus, after an hour, I developed a serious headache.

This is not a new prescription and should have been filled to the exact specifications as my previous glasses. (Which NEVER, not even day 1, distorted my vision beyond the typical first 30 minutes or so)

Previous posts on having the OD put laser through lenses to identify manufacturing error is helpful. (My doctor's office said to wear them for a couple days to get used to them, but there is zero chance that I'm doing that.)

awri...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2019, 6:01:01 PM4/17/19
That's exactly how my steering wheel looks, too! It's closer to me on the right and farther on the left, and when I take the new progressives off, it is flat and even. I think I'll take these glasses back.

gal...@gmail.com

May 28, 2019, 3:54:05 AM5/28/19
I have new glasses that show.rectangles as rectangles, but rotated counter clockwise. It is OK during the day, but gets very bad in the dark. At night, while driving, out my right window, it looked like up the side of a mountain, and out the left it looked like a drop off. The distortion caused me to sideswipe a car. I am going to have cataracts removed. Anyone hear of this problem? Thanx, Frank

The Real Bev

May 28, 2019, 12:22:11 PM5/28/19
If I were forced to guess (I'm not a pro, just a sufferer) I'd think
that you have severe astigmatism and the correction in the glasses is
just wrong. What does the doc say? If you're on medicare and do have
severe astigmatism, spend the money for toric lenses even if you have to
borrow it -- it's the best $2K you'll ever spend.

Do you want distance or near vision when you have your cataract surgery?

I chose distant. My mom wasn't given an option -- the doc just decided
that she should have near vision. She was really pissed when I told her
(much later) that she could have had a choice.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Tip: Place your houseplants in front of the television during

caing...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2019, 3:12:02 PM10/20/19
On Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 12:18:33 PM UTC-4, Spintronicus wrote:
> This is the first time I am using prescription eyeglasses. My RX is:
>
> right: -.75 sph,
> left -.25 -1.25X180.
>
> When I look at my computer screen with the glasses on, the screen
> looks like a trapezoid on its side. The right side is narrower than
> the left. The effect is not as noticable when I look at distant
> objects, like TV from a distance. What can be a cause of this? Is it
> just an adjustment period, since I haven't used Rx glasses before?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I got new glasses in July 2019; having the same problem with trapezoid vision. I am trying to work with where I purchased them, and have had them done over 4 times. I've never had this problem and I've worn glasses for around 50 years. I am working with the company to try and figure this thing out. I've just turned my glasses over and everything looks normal with them flipped; I'm beginning to think that the makers of the lenses are getting the lens turned over the wrong way. Will try and keep you posted on the outcome. The company is working hard with me to try and get this thing figured out. I don't think anyone should try and get used to seeing things distorted. Glasses should make things clearer, not goofy as in a funny mirror! I think it is in the lens. I have never had a problem seeing a square or a piece of typing paper the way they truly are, but these glasses are showing them as \ / and not as they are. My glasses also makes the oblong look longer plus the \ /. Hope this problem can be solved for all who is involved.

caing...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2019, 4:05:23 PM10/20/19
On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 3:12:02 PM UTC-4, caing...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 12:18:33 PM UTC-4, Spintronicus wrote:
> > This is the first time I am using prescription eyeglasses. My RX is:
> >
> > right: -.75 sph,
> > left -.25 -1.25X180.
> >
> > When I look at my computer screen with the glasses on, the screen
> > looks like a trapezoid on its side. The right side is narrower than
> > the left. The effect is not as noticable when I look at distant
> > objects, like TV from a distance. What can be a cause of this? Is it
> > just an adjustment period, since I haven't used Rx glasses before?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
>
> I got new glasses in July 2019; having the same problem with trapezoid vision. I am trying to work with where I purchased them, and have had them redone 4 times. I've never had this problem and I've worn glasses for around 50 years. I am working with the company to try and figure this thing out. I will try and keep you posted on the outcome. I don't think anyone should try and get used to seeing things distorted. Glasses should make things clearer, not goofy as in a funny mirror! I think it is in the lens. I have never had a problem seeing a square or a piece of typing paper the way they truly are, but these glasses are showing them as \ / and not as they are. My glasses also makes the oblong look longer plus the \ /. Hope this problem can be solved for all who is involved.

Bob F

Oct 23, 2019, 12:20:18 AM10/23/19
When I was in college, I knew a couple people that were in an experiment
where they were given goggles to use all the time that had prisms to
switch different parts of the vision field into different orientations.
After wearing them awhile, their brain sorted it all out and they could
see normally again. Then, they quit wearing them, and took awhile to
switch back.

If you want an interesting read, get "the brain that changes itself"
and/or its sequel "The Brain's Way Of Healing" by Norman Doidge. I found
them both fascinating.
Message has been deleted

rskum...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2020, 11:09:33 PM2/3/20
Hi All,

I had the same issue and after few consultation, doctor said that I have keratoconus. It is a case where eye cornea shape changes regularly. In other words we can say, progressive astigmatism.
Hence, I would suggest you to consult doctor to check on this case.
Finally I got glasses without shape distortion but compromising on clearness in reading text at long distances
Thanks & Regards,
Suresh Kumar

The Real Bev

Feb 3, 2020, 11:37:01 PM2/3/20
Keratoconus is a medical problem in addition to being an annoying vision
problem, and it should be dealt with sooner rather than later.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke