Floater after YAG Capsulotomy

Mike Adkins via MedKB.com

Feb 28, 2005, 2:53:53 PM2/28/05
I've had cataract surgery in both eyes, and Lasik on my right. I developed
a secondary and a week ago had a YAG Capsulotomy performed. The doctor
said I would notice a floater, but this isn't the floater I was expecting..

This is more like a translucent glob of junk in my eye and let's light
thru.. When I turn my head to the right, its like a gray curtain (yes,
I've read about detached / torn retinas) going across my field of vision to
the left.

I went back to see my eye doctor who dilated my eyes and thoroughly checked
them.. He said it should go away in a week or 2 but that my retina is fine.

Is this truly a floater? I have other floaters and this isnt like them at
all..? Any words of reassurance?

RM

Feb 28, 2005, 8:47:54 PM2/28/05
YAG capsulotomies have the potential to produce very big floaters. If your
doctor checked and verified that it isn't a retinal tear/detachment, then
everything will be OK. The floater will likely "settle out" after awhile.
Exact time varies and isn't predictable.

++++++++++++++++

"Mike Adkins via MedKB.com" <fo...@MedKB.com> wrote in message

Mike Adkins via MedKB.com

Mar 1, 2005, 7:33:12 AM3/1/05
Thanks!! For the most part, I'm trying to ignore it, unfortunaely that's
hard to do, even when I'm not looking for it.. Like now.. typing.. I look
at the keyes and when I glance up, bang, there it is.. I'd say it is a
rather large one..

kem...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2005, 8:04:28 AM3/1/05
I have the same type of floater - I only started seeing it after my
cataract surgery. This was 2 months ago, and it has not gotten any
better. I've reluctantly accepted the fact that it will be around
forever.

Mike Adkins via MedKB.com

Mar 1, 2005, 10:32:56 AM3/1/05
your floater looks like a gel cloud? causes like a gray flash.. I hope it
isnt forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diane M

Mar 1, 2005, 4:41:35 PM3/1/05

What a coincidence! I have exactly the same thing. I had cataracts
removed in both eyes (a week apart) last month. The first eye was fine,
but I had terrible glare in the left eye (a diagonal beam would appear
over any light). The doctor said I had a "wrinkle" behind the lens, so
he used the laser on it (capsulotomy). He told me I would probably have
some floaters for awhile. Well, I've had floaters in the past (black
specks or hairlike floaters).

That beam was gone, but it was replaced by a starburst when I look at
lights. In my line of vision there is what I called a smear or a wispy
cloud. After a few days I went back to the doctor. He said he could
see it very clearly and that it was a piece of a viscous material that
had probably broken loose during the laser procedure. He said it was
like a gel. He also told me that it might take a couple of months for
it to move, but that it would move in time to an area of the eye where I
wouldn't see it.

I guess we'll just have to be patient. It sure is annoying, isn't it?

Diane M

Mike Adkins via MedKB.com

Mar 2, 2005, 6:36:50 AM3/2/05
Well, sorry to hear you're having the same problem, but at the same time,
happy that someone else is.. Couple of months? Geesh.. yeah mine said a
couple of weeks, but now a week and a half later, I can't tell much
improvement... Hard to ignore it too...

Good Luck.. I'll be patient!

mariod...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2018, 6:23:31 PM7/6/18
Does anyone still see the big floater around? If no, please can you tell me how long did it take to go away. I had YAG 5 weeks ago and my enormous moving floater is driving me crazy!!

tinyparrot

Feb 23, 2020, 2:38:16 AM2/23/20
On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 3:23:31 PM UTC-7, mariod...@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone still see the big floater around? If no, please can you tell me how long did it take to go away. I had YAG 5 weeks ago and my enormous moving floater is driving me crazy!!

I have the same problem. Had the YAG done in both eyes several months ago and now have a constant cloud right in front of my central vision that moves with my gaze. It is horrible. I saw much better before the YAG!! I am told that the only chance of removing it is with a vitrectomy, and there are serious risks associated with that. I am told studies have shown that laser procedures do NOT work to remove these types of "floaters".

Has anyone had theirs go away on their own??