Quotation Marks

1 view

Jennie

May 14, 2007, 9:40:07 AM5/14/07
I thought I had quotation marks down pat in my memory banks, but
recently, somebody changed the quotation mark placement on something
that I had written (non-transcription, though).

Which is correct?

A. Jimmy is nicknamed "Pretty Boy Floyd."

B. Jimmy is nicknamed "Pretty Boy Floyd".

Either I have been doing it right or I have been doing it wrong my
entire career! [YIKES!]

Jennie the Self-Doubting Dinosaur
Washington, D.C.

LizzieB.

May 14, 2007, 10:11:32 AM5/14/07
Jennie wrote:

> Which is correct?
>
> A. Jimmy is nicknamed "Pretty Boy Floyd."

That one. In American English, this is the rule and I really can't
think up any exceptions at the moment. Perhaps Barb could help. She
and I are from the same school of grammar.

Bambi C.

May 14, 2007, 10:31:23 AM5/14/07
The way I was taught was to place the period outside the quotation marks
unless the period was at the end of a sentence that was being quoted.

HOWEVER, that seems to be one of the many grammar rules that have changed
since I went to school. :-(

Bambi C.

"LizzieB." <blah...@blahblahblah.com> wrote in message

LizzieB.

May 14, 2007, 10:32:34 AM5/14/07
Bambi C. wrote:

> The way I was taught was to place the period outside the quotation marks
> unless the period was at the end of a sentence that was being quoted.
>
> HOWEVER, that seems to be one of the many grammar rules that have changed
> since I went to school. :-(

Yes, it must be, although it was the only rule I was ever taught so the
rule must have changed before I got to that portion of my grammar education.

Jennie

May 14, 2007, 10:35:53 AM5/14/07
Well, you have just made my day. I have been doing it correct then.
[Whew!]

I am an amateur writer, I guess you could say, and a copy-editor
corrected my punctuation to the B choice with the quotation mark
inside the period. I figured she was smarter than me, though, and so
I began to self-doubt.

One mistake I see quite frequently when I am proofreading transcripts
produced by others is the quotation mark placement outside of the semi-
colon and colon. The quotation mark should always be placed inside
the semi-colon and colon, but I do see this error, if I can call it
that, very often.

Also, I just read this:

The only exception is when that last little item enclosed in quotation
marks is just a letter or a number, in which case the period or comma
will go outside the closing quotation marks:

~The buried treasure was marked on the map with a large "X".
~The only grade that will satisfy her is an "A".
~On this scale, the highest ranking is a "1", not a "10".

I must figure out how to delicately inform the copy-editor that her
quotation placement may be in error. I have found that some folks do
not take constructive criticism very well, and so I hope can pull it
off without any unpleasantness.

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

Bambi C.

May 14, 2007, 10:36:37 AM5/14/07
Here's what I found online at
http://www.arts.uottawa.ca/writcent/hypergrammar/qmarks.html :

Quotations Marks with Other Punctuation
One question that frequently arises with quotation marks is where to place
other punctuation marks in relation to them. Again, these rules vary from
region to region, but North American usage is quite simple:

1.. Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks.
I know you are fond of the story "Children of the Corn," but is it an
appropriate subject for your essay?
"At last," said the old woman, "I can say I am truly happy."
2.. Semicolons and colons always go outside the quotation marks.
She never liked the poem "Dover Beach"; in fact, it was her least
favourite piece of Victorian literature.
He clearly states his opinion in the article "Of Human Bondage": he
believes that television has enslaved and diminished an entire generation.
3.. Question marks, exclamation marks, and dashes go inside quotation
marks when they are part of the quotation, and outside when they do not.
Where is your copy of "The Raven"?
"How cold is it outside?" my mother asked.

Judity

May 14, 2007, 10:45:37 AM5/14/07
Jennie, as a fairly new writer myself, I stumbled with misplaced
quotation marks until my editor rapped my knuckles over them. Here is
one of many links I found regarding those pesky little things:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/quotation.htm

Judity
"Who am I? Why do I write?"
http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170755
or read any of my other stories in the link below
http://judity.Writing.Com/

Jennie

May 14, 2007, 10:46:29 AM5/14/07
Thanks for the link. It's kind of funny because the copy-editor is
from Canada! LOL

In the sample depicted in your post -- Where is your copy of "The
Raven"? -- that is correct, but only because of the question mark at
the end AND because there was not a question within a question.

However, what about when there is a period at the end of the sentence?

The only thing I have found is that single letter and/or number
designation.

I think the quotation mark should be placed outside the period in the
sample I provided -- Jimmy is nicknamed "Pretty Boy Floyd." The copy-
editor moved the quotation mark inside the period. It looked wrong to
me.

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

On May 14, 10:36 am, "Bambi C." <blcc324@epixdotnet> wrote:
> Here's what I found online athttp://www.arts.uottawa.ca/writcent/hypergrammar/qmarks.html :

Anne Vasquez

May 14, 2007, 12:30:03 PM5/14/07
Same here, Bambi, and it makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

Anne

Message has been deleted

Bambi C.

May 14, 2007, 1:26:26 PM5/14/07
Thank heavens you remember that too!!! I was starting to wonder if I might
have remembered it wrong. My 30th class reunion is coming up and I'm
feeling a little old.

Bambi C.

"Anne Vasquez" <ahva...@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote in message

fairjan

May 14, 2007, 12:03:49 PM5/14/07

Confusing at times, isn't it? When I was in school we were taught to
put the period after the quotation mark. I never knew when it changed
until back in the early 80s. I typed for the Professor of English and
German at Schreiner University. He is the one who taught me that it
had changed to period before quotation mark. Otherwise, I would
probably still be doing it the wrong way.

--
fairjan

Anne Vasquez

May 14, 2007, 2:17:37 PM5/14/07
I can relate; 25th coming up here.

Speaking of class reunions, don't most classes have their reunions in
their hometowns? My class is talking about having our reunion in Las
Vegas, which I thought was a little odd. If they decide to do that, I
doubt I'll go, since I REALLY need to get back to Arizona to see my dad.
Too bad they didn't want to have the reunion at home; then I could
have combined the two. :-(

Anne

Anne Vasquez

May 14, 2007, 2:19:01 PM5/14/07
I wonder what the logic is behind doing it the new way. Besides the
obvious, that people don't have to stop and think about where to put the
period.

Anne

Barbara Carlson

May 14, 2007, 3:19:31 PM5/14/07
Grammar school, high school, business college, all had the same rules (40's
and 50's) and that is punctuation belonged inside the quotation marks. Just
checked a couple of my more modern grammars, same rules. Now, if they
changed in between, I do not know, but they are the same now as they were in
the 40's and 50's.

However, in my amusing little book Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, it notes that
British rules are not always the same, and frankly their rules make more
sense than our flat out "inside" rule. It makes sense to put the period or
comma inside the quotes in most cases, but there are a few cases where it
just doesn't belong inside in my personal opinion. I'm trying to think of a
sentence where I think the punctuation should be outside the quotes and I am
drawing a blank. Ah, here is one: Why isn't there a hyphen in "today"? To
me in a sentence like that the ? definitely does not belong inside the
quotes. And I wouldn't put it inside, rules or no rules.

Incidentally, I highly recommend that little book for punctuation questions,
and, unlike most grammars, it is fun to read and full of common sense.

Barb C.

Jennie

May 14, 2007, 4:06:31 PM5/14/07
I should have put quotes around the whole paragraph with the three
examples. It came from an Internet reference guide, but I used it to
illustrate the quotation mark and period.

I wouldn't put quotes around them either. LOL

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

On May 14, 1:22 pm, CindyB <cinqu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 14 May 2007 07:35:53 -0700, Jennie <jamal...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> >The only exception is when that last little item enclosed in quotation
> >marks is just a letter or a number, in which case the period or comma
> >will go outside the closing quotation marks:
>
> > ~The buried treasure was marked on the map with a large "X".
> > ~The only grade that will satisfy her is an "A".
> > ~On this scale, the highest ranking is a "1", not a "10".
>

> I wouldn't use quotation marks at all in the examples above.

Anne Vasquez

May 14, 2007, 4:35:30 PM5/14/07
Bambi and I must be sharing dreams, I guess. Well, at least this is one
change I can make that won't be very hard to remember. :-)

May 14, 2007, 7:48:48 PM5/14/07
Jennie wrote:

> Which is correct?
>
> A. Jimmy is nicknamed "Pretty Boy Floyd."
>
> B. Jimmy is nicknamed "Pretty Boy Floyd".

In standard English grammar, the only punctuation that goes outside the
quotation marks is a semicolon (or probably a colon)

May 14, 2007, 7:50:34 PM5/14/07
Anne Vasquez wrote:
> I can relate; 25th coming up here.
>
> Speaking of class reunions, don't most classes have their reunions in
> their hometowns? My class is talking about having our reunion in Las
> Vegas, which I thought was a little odd. If they decide to do that, I

I guess it depends on how many people in the class still live in the old
hometown.

Anne Vasquez

May 14, 2007, 8:15:11 PM5/14/07
I'm sure you're right. I don't think many of us live in Vegas, either,
though! <G>

May 14, 2007, 8:16:52 PM5/14/07
Anne Vasquez wrote:
> I'm sure you're right. I don't think many of us live in Vegas, either,
> though! <G>

Maybe so, but if you lived in a tiny Podunk town, LV might be a more
attractive place to assemble.

Like as not, the people running the reunion decided on it.

diann...@yahoo.com

May 14, 2007, 10:19:39 PM5/14/07
Me too. I'm still 17 in my head, but when I look in a mirror I have
to say it's a little shocking sometimes. For some reason my 30th is
bugging me a whole lot more than the 25th. Just doesn't seem
possible. And actually, this is my 31st! (Graduated a year early,
but I would want to go to see my original classmates).

Kathycarp

May 14, 2007, 10:34:12 PM5/14/07
You guys are all spring chickens. My 40th is this year.

--
Kathy
www.ambergriscaye.com/villadelsol
<diann...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

LizzieB.

May 14, 2007, 10:32:51 PM5/14/07
diann...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Me too. I'm still 17 in my head, but when I look in a mirror I have
> to say it's a little shocking sometimes.

It's funny--I was thinking about this this morning. How come, when I'm
around women my own age or younger but have children older than my
children (IRL, I mean), do I feel like I'm still 15 years old and have
nothing to contribute?

Jennie

May 15, 2007, 6:18:15 AM5/15/07
I guess the general consensus here, for the above-referenced example I
made in the first post of the thread, is that the quotation mark
belongs OUTSIDE of the period.

You know, I have searched and searched and searched on the Internet
for a link that describes this happening at the end of the sentence,
and I cannot find one thing reference source.

I can find the question within a question and other samples, but
NOTHING about one word inside quotation marks at the end of a
sentence, resulting in end quotation mark being placed on the outside
of the period.

Before I gently mention this to the copy-editor, I would sure like to
have a reference to go by, so that she can see it in print as opposed
to just my opinion.

I did find in my book, Court Reporting Grammar and Punctuation, (2d
edition) by Diane Castilaw:

Page 117, No. 220, "A period is placed inside the end quotation marks,
whether double or single."

Page 123, No. 223, "Quoted phrases, terms, and fragments of quoted
material are set off with quotation marks. [Example] The columnist
refers to this event as "Nightmare on Main Street."

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

On May 14, 3:19 pm, "Barbara Carlson" <bbcarl...@snappydsl.net> wrote:
> Grammar school, high school, business college, all had the same rules (40's
> and 50's) and that is punctuation belonged inside the quotation marks. Just
> checked a couple of my more modern grammars, same rules. Now, if they
> changed in between, I do not know, but they are the same now as they were in
> the 40's and 50's.
>
> However, in my amusing little book Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, it notes that
> British rules are not always the same, and frankly their rules make more
> sense than our flat out "inside" rule. It makes sense to put the period or
> comma inside the quotes in most cases, but there are a few cases where it
> just doesn't belong inside in my personal opinion. I'm trying to think of a
> sentence where I think the punctuation should be outside the quotes and I am
> drawing a blank. Ah, here is one: Why isn't there a hyphen in "today"? To
> me in a sentence like that the ? definitely does not belong inside the
> quotes. And I wouldn't put it inside, rules or no rules.
>
> Incidentally, I highly recommend that little book for punctuation questions,
> and, unlike most grammars, it is fun to read and full of common sense.
>

> Barb C."LizzieB." <blahb...@blahblahblah.com> wrote in message

> > Jennie wrote:
>
> >> Which is correct?
>
> >> A. Jimmy is nicknamed "Pretty Boy Floyd."
>
> > That one. In American English, this is the rule and I really can't think
> > up any exceptions at the moment. Perhaps Barb could help. She and I are

> > from the same school of grammar.- Hide quoted text -

Anne Vasquez

May 15, 2007, 12:46:40 PM5/15/07
Your description fits the town to a T, and I'm sure that's exactly why
they decided on Vegas. Doesn't matter to me, really, as I'm not going
anyway. I just thought it seemed a little odd.

May 15, 2007, 3:01:06 PM5/15/07
Jennie wrote:

> You know, I have searched and searched and searched on the Internet
> for a link that describes this happening at the end of the sentence,
> and I cannot find one thing reference source.

Check the Purdue Online Writing Lab and see if it's there. It's the #1
grammar reference source for homeschoolers, and it's an incredibly rich
resource.

May 15, 2007, 3:01:35 PM5/15/07
P.S. No, I don't have the URL, but if you goodle Purdue Online Writing
Lab or Purdue OWL you will get it.

Jennie

May 15, 2007, 4:14:34 PM5/15/07
Hey, thanks a bunch. I found EXACTLY what I needed.

Here is the link: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_quote.html

[Below is an excerpt from the above-referenced link.]

Put commas and periods within closing quotation marks, except when a
parenthetical reference follows the quotation.

He said, "I may forget your name, but I never remember a face."
History is stained with blood spilled in the name of "civilization."
Mullen, criticizing the apparent inaction, writes, "Donahue's policy
was to do nothing" (27).
_______________

Now I feel confident to submit this link to the copy-editor for her
perusal, as they say! ;>)

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

On May 15, 3:01 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply

Jennie

May 16, 2007, 5:07:19 AM5/16/07
Geezy peezy, my quotation mark placement saga continues.

Check this out:

Punctuation: Wikipedia (like most of the world) does not follow the
obsolete "commas inside quotes," typesetting convention. Even most
scholarly and technical publications in the US have abandoned it
(because it is illogical and introduces errors and falsehoods); it's
last bastion is American newspapers. The current (15th) edition of the
Chicago Manual of Style says either style is valid. But the
Wikipedia:Manual of style calls for only the so-called British style:
"Closing punctuation outside quotations", unless the closing
punctuation was originally a part of the quoted material.

Can't there just be one uniform guide for the world to follow? LOL

Jennie the Confused Dinosaur
Washington, D.C.

On May 14, 1:26 pm, "Bambi C." <blcc324@epixdotnet> wrote:
> Thank heavens you remember that too!!! I was starting to wonder if I might
> have remembered it wrong. My 30th class reunion is coming up and I'm
> feeling a little old.
>
> Bambi C.
>

> "Anne Vasquez" <ahvasq...@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > Same here, Bambi, and it makes absolutely no sense at all to me.
>
> > Anne
>
> > Bambi C. wrote:
> >> The way I was taught was to place the period outside the quotation marks
> >> unless the period was at the end of a sentence that was being quoted.
>
> >> HOWEVER, that seems to be one of the many grammar rules that have changed
> >> since I went to school. :-(
>

> >> Bambi C.- Hide quoted text -

Jennie

May 16, 2007, 5:09:45 AM5/16/07
Of course, this is of interest to me, but then I see the writer of
that excerpt doesn't know the difference between "it's" and "its."
Hmm...

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

Kathycarp

May 16, 2007, 11:07:22 AM5/16/07
This IS the way I was taught in school in the 1955-1967. I don't care if
everyone else in the U.S. was taught the other way. I was taught the way
that Wikipedia states it. And it makes total sense to me.

--
Kathy
www.ambergriscaye.com/villadelsol
"Jennie" <jama...@aol.com> wrote in message

Anne Vasquez

May 16, 2007, 12:21:41 PM5/16/07
I second that motion.

May 16, 2007, 2:23:35 PM5/16/07
Jennie wrote:
> Geezy peezy, my quotation mark placement saga continues.
>
> Check this out:
>
> Punctuation: Wikipedia (like most of the world) does not follow the
> obsolete "commas inside quotes," typesetting convention.

Wikipedia is not ever considered an authoritative source. Chicago
Manual of Style is one of the most respected.

There are a number of different grammar styles. Pick one and stick with
it.

Jennie

May 17, 2007, 6:19:58 AM5/17/07
I am going with the Chicago Manual of Style.

When I went to school in the 1950's, that is the way I was taught. It
is not that you can 't teach an old dog like me new tricks, but to my
eye, the Wikipedia style looks incorrect, even though to other eyes,
the Wikipedia style is correct and/or what they were taught in
elementary school.

I phoned a couple of work friends who have been in the transcription
industry for 30-plus years, and they do it the same way as me. Maybe
it is a regional thing.

Of course, here in D.C., we are still transcribing in DOS! LOL

Jennie the Old-School Dinosaur
Washington, D.C.

On May 16, 2:23 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply

May 17, 2007, 5:10:16 PM5/17/07
Jennie wrote:
> is not that you can 't teach an old dog like me new tricks, but to my
> eye, the Wikipedia style looks incorrect, even though to other eyes,
> the Wikipedia style is correct and/or what they were taught in
> elementary school.

Wikipedia is a DIY "encyclopedia." My 10-year-old nephew could put up a
grammar page on Wikipedia and you might never know it was him who did
it. It is not a reliable source, as there is no way to guarantee that
there is scholarly research behind what is posted there.

The Purdue site is a scholarly site. There are other scholarly sites,
also. But Wikipedia is *not* a reputable source to use as a frame of
reference for basing a professional/scholarly judgment on, because there
is no guarantees of its reliability.

Jennie

May 18, 2007, 5:47:23 AM5/18/07
Thanks so much Melinda for providing some other sources.

When I glanced through The Washington Post, the closing quote
placement is the Purdue way.

I had no idea that there were inconsistencies in punctuation style
with the closing quote placement. I am glad to have had this
discourse on the thread because next time I am proofing a transcript
of an unknown entity, I will think differently if I see the closing
quote placed before the period, for example.

This is something that I am going to institute in my format guidelines
for future transcripts if I have to share a job with somebody in an
effort to be consistent.

I most definitely have had to change my style when doing jobs for
somebody else. Miller Reporting Co., Inc., in D.C. never put a space
before and after the double hyphen. I always thought that looked very
odd, but I did it exactly that way if I had to produce a transcript
for that firm. I am sure there are other inconsistencies, like that
comma placement I have after the word "Inc." in this paragraph. Some
people do it, and others don't! LOL

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

On May 17, 5:10 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply

LizzieB.

May 18, 2007, 12:41:49 PM5/18/07
Jennie wrote:

> I most definitely have had to change my style when doing jobs for
> somebody else. Miller Reporting Co., Inc., in D.C. never put a space
> before and after the double hyphen. I always thought that looked very
> odd, but I did it exactly that way if I had to produce a transcript
> for that firm.

A "double hyphen" is an em dash (long dash) used to set off a comment in
a sentence that is emphasizing it rather than de-emphasizing it, like a
phrase in parentheses. It's the way it was done on typewriters before
you could insert a symbol instead.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/dashes.asp

You do NOT put a space before/after an em dash/double hyphen.

--
LizzieB.

My "other" career: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com
Brain diarrhea: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com/effdesblog/

Jennie

May 18, 2007, 9:58:15 PM5/18/07
I guess the court reporting school I attended taught the students the
wrong way to punctuate, LizzieB. Every court reporting firm in D.C.
-- to include me -- must do it the wrong way, too. Wow.

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

LizzieB.

May 18, 2007, 10:43:55 PM5/18/07
Jennie wrote:

> I guess the court reporting school I attended taught the students the
> wrong way to punctuate, LizzieB. Every court reporting firm in D.C.
> -- to include me -- must do it the wrong way, too. Wow.

I guess so.

Thanks for the sarcasm, Jennie. Thought you wanted an actual yes or no
answer.

FarAwayDeb

May 19, 2007, 12:12:04 AM5/19/07
On May 18, 9:58 pm, Jennie <jamal...@aol.com> wrote:
> I guess the court reporting school I attended taught the students the
> wrong way to punctuate, LizzieB. Every court reporting firm in D.C.
> -- to include me -- must do it the wrong way, too. Wow.
>
> Jennie
> Washington, D.C.

Wow. I guess so!

Somehow I don't think right versus wrong depends on how many people do
it a certain way.

"FarAwayDeb"

JulieW8

May 19, 2007, 12:24:11 AM5/19/07
[Default] On 16 May 2007 02:07:19 -0700, Jennie <jama...@aol.com>

took a break from reality and said:

>Can't there just be one uniform guide for the world to follow? LOL

Dream on. When I used to do papers for students, you had to follow the
manual for the department, although most used Gregg Reference Manual,
the American Psychology Association had their own. And don't complain
about style until you've done screenplays - they make everything else
seem like a cakewalk.

~~~~~*****~~~~~*****~~~~~*****

The #1 book in dumpsters is Hilary Clinton's "It Takes a Village."

LizzieB.

May 19, 2007, 12:23:32 AM5/19/07
JulieW8 wrote:

> And don't complain
> about style until you've done screenplays - they make everything else
> seem like a cakewalk.

<raises hand>

I nearly bought special software to do that because it was so exhausting.

JulieW8

May 19, 2007, 12:26:18 AM5/19/07
[Default] On 15 May 2007 03:18:15 -0700, Jennie <jama...@aol.com>

took a break from reality and said:

>I guess the general consensus here, for the above-referenced example I
>made in the first post of the thread, is that the quotation mark
>belongs OUTSIDE of the period.

IMO, it depends on what you're typing and the accepted style/reference
guide for it.

Inside the quotation marks would be appropriate if you're using Gregg.

LizzieB.

May 19, 2007, 12:28:04 AM5/19/07
FarAwayDeb wrote:

> Somehow I don't think right versus wrong depends on how many people do
> it a certain way.

To be fair, it's ENTIRELY possible that the entirety of the English
Department at the University of Missouri was wrong.

haggis

May 19, 2007, 12:47:29 AM5/19/07
Well, Lizzie, maybe DC court reporters have their own crappy BOS that
doesn't agree with any other standard, just like MTs have.

Do they have people who learned OTJ and brag about ignoring the standard
because they've "always done it this way," too? Not like they'd have the
option of sticking with small practices that don't know or care what the
standard is, I suppose.

I dunno. I've seen people use spaces around an en dash when they
couldn't figure out an em, but chalked that up to ignorance. It looks
extremely wrong with all that extra space, regardless. My anal typing
teacher would've gone on a class-long tirade against something that dumb.

jeanne

LizzieB.

May 19, 2007, 1:00:24 AM5/19/07
haggis wrote:

> Well, Lizzie, maybe DC court reporters have their own crappy BOS that
> doesn't agree with any other standard, just like MTs have.

Well, maybe the folks in DC like their transcripts a different way from
the standard style manuals. Who's to say?

After all, alternate em-dash punctuation isn't the only screwy thing to
come out of DC.

Ed Chait

May 19, 2007, 2:09:03 AM5/19/07

>>Can't there just be one uniform guide for the world to follow? LOL

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them.

ed:)

Jennie

May 19, 2007, 5:40:54 AM5/19/07
This may be quite true, politically speaking, pertaining to "screwy."

My limited experience encompasses transcribing Federal Government
documents, some private sector, and the other usual non-medical stuff.

When I used to work on the Hill full time, I would network with others
and discuss topics like this thread. I enjoyed picking up bits of
wisdom from the veterans.

I still do Hill stuff, but I am not in the front lines of the
battlefield anymore in the autumn of my life, working from 6:00 a.m.
to midnight when pages are due, banging out 300-plus pages a day.
That is why I joined this NG, hoping to learn, network, and keep up to
date with the industry. I truly do miss the daily interaction with my
transcriptionist buddies.

After transcribing almost 30 years, I have never seen a transcript any
other way, with the one exception of Miller Reporting Co., Inc.,
which shut their doors for business in recent times, but not because
of the double hyphen. I happen to think they were the best court
reporting firm in the Nation's Capital, actually.

I know there are D.C. folks who read this NG because they have e-
mailed me privately. I now think I know why they do not post on the
NG.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have learned a great
deal about a variety of topics here, and for that, I am very
appreciative.

Jennie, a Native Washingtonian from the Screwy Nation's Capital

Jennie

May 19, 2007, 5:51:12 AM5/19/07
I have tried to find a link to show you a typical transcript in my
area.

Here is a transcript from the Brookings Institution:
http://www.brookings.edu/gs/brown/bpep/bpep_02_transcript.pdf

Notice the use of the double hyphen within the body of the transcript,
a space before and after. Interestingly, the transcript content is by
an editor.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do has always been my motto. I have
had to adapt my style for a variety of folk from time to time.

Thanks for your kind response. :>)

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

Jennie

May 19, 2007, 5:54:17 AM5/19/07
Sometimes I do take a "break from reality" and realize there is
sometimes no right or wrong way when it comes to punctuation, i.e.,
closing quotes. I just try to be consistent throughout a document.
However, wearing different hats, I am subject to change my
transcription style from time to time.

Thanks for the response! :>)

Jennie the Dreamer
Washington, D.C.

On May 19, 12:24 am, JulieW8 <seemy...@netscape.net> wrote:
> [Default] On 16 May 2007 02:07:19 -0700, Jennie <jamal...@aol.com>

Jennie

May 19, 2007, 6:00:24 AM5/19/07
Thank you for the kind response, Ed! :>)

Again, I do wish there was one uniform guide to follow, but there
isn't, and as I am finding out from this thread in particular, there
are strong views for different styles.

Rather than facing the label of "ignorant" by posters because I place
a space before and after the double hyphen, I will try to read instead
of posting on this medical transcription NG, though the one thing I
have learned in this racket, the more I know, the more I realize how
much I don't know at times. LOL

Jennie the DOS Dinosaur
Washington, D.C.

Ed Chait

May 19, 2007, 6:59:02 AM5/19/07

"Jennie" <jama...@aol.com> wrote in message

Oh, c'mon, grow some thicker skin and continue to post and participate. If
this newsgroup was all about correct grammar, they would have kicked me to
the curb long ago:).

ed

LizzieB.

May 19, 2007, 10:00:21 AM5/19/07
Jennie wrote:

> I know there are D.C. folks who read this NG because they have e-
> mailed me privately. I now think I know why they do not post on the
> NG.

Jennie, I do not, as a general rule, attack first. If you can't take it
as well as you dish it out, don't dish it out.

I told you what the rule was, which was probably why they wanted that
way. If you had taken the time to research that in your Gregg and other
standards, you wouldn't have been surprised at "the rule."

In addition, I didn't label you ignernt until you took a swipe at me.
(I notice you didn't address my post where I said, "Thanks for the
sarcasm, Jennie.")

You've been around a long time and I like you, even though you very
often label US medical transcriptionists ignernt for the way we do
things. You know nothing about our industry, yet you have no hesitation
in stepping in to set us aright about our wicked, wicked ways.

As for letting everybody know that other people email you privately
about this board or its denizens or whatever, that's just plain bad
'netiquette. And if you'd ever hung out on any of other million or so
newsgroups in Usenet, you would KNOW that SMT is just a litter of
kittens playing at being tigers.

Oooh, do I sound mad?

Jennie

May 19, 2007, 10:11:03 AM5/19/07
LOL! Long in the tooth and in the autumn of my life, my skin's
pretty thick, Ed.

Granted, the printed words can be misinterpreted, but sometimes I do
taste a distinct flavor of cantankerousness in the flippant responses
I read from time to time on all NGs, discussion forums, et cetera. I
may be guilty of that myself as well, without meaning to be.

Life's too short to sweat the small stuff, anyway! :>)

Jennie
Washington -- where transcripts have spaces before and after the
double hyphen -- D.C.

On May 19, 6:59 am, "Ed Chait" <edchait4rem...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Jennie" <jamal...@aol.com> wrote in message

> ed- Hide quoted text -

Jennie

May 19, 2007, 10:21:53 AM5/19/07
On May 19, 10:00 am, "LizzieB." <blahb...@blahblahblah.com> wrote:
> Jennie wrote:
> > I know there are D.C. folks who read this NG because they have e-
> > mailed me privately. I now think I know why they do not post on the
> > NG.
>
> Jennie, I do not, as a general rule, attack first. If you can't take it
> as well as you dish it out, don't dish it out.

I did not think I was attacking or dishing out anything, LizzieB.

> I told you what the rule was, which was probably why they wanted that
> way. If you had taken the time to research that in your Gregg and other
> standards, you wouldn't have been surprised at "the rule."

This may be a rule that you believe is sound. I do not use Gregg as a
reference source. I have come to learn that there are many reference
sources when it comes to grammar and punctuation, though.

> In addition, I didn't label you ignernt until you took a swipe at me.
> (I notice you didn't address my post where I said, "Thanks for the
> sarcasm, Jennie.")

I did not intentionally take any swipe at you. If you interpreted my
posts as such, then I apologize to the NG.

> You've been around a long time and I like you, even though you very
> often label US medical transcriptionists ignernt for the way we do
> things. You know nothing about our industry, yet you have no hesitation
> in stepping in to set us aright about our wicked, wicked ways.

LizzieB, I have never in my life labeled a U.S. medical
transcriptionist as "ignorant" or "ignernt." This is an untruth.

I may know a little more about the industry than you may think. Why
would you think that I am stepping in to set you and other medical
transcriptionists about your "wicked, wicked ways"?

> As for letting everybody know that other people email you privately
> about this board or its denizens or whatever, that's just plain bad
> 'netiquette. And if you'd ever hung out on any of other million or so
> newsgroups in Usenet, you would KNOW that SMT is just a litter of
> kittens playing at being tigers.

I mentioned other people e-mailing me because I recently learned there
are other transcriptionists in the D.C. area who read this NG, which
was a pleasant surprise. In fact, two of them I had worked with
before, and so it was great to renew our contact info and stay in
touch. They told me that they do not post and are in a read-only mode
on this NG.

> Oooh, do I sound mad?

Yes. You do sound mad. I hope you feel better for addressing the
issues in my previous posts which were offensive to you.

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

haggis

May 19, 2007, 11:25:50 AM5/19/07
I dunno. I think the newest sig line has a passive-aggressive air about it.

Jennie wrote:

> I did not think I was attacking or dishing out anything, LizzieB.

and later:

> Jennie
> Washington -- where transcripts have spaces before and after the
> double hyphen -- D.C.

Jeannie

May 19, 2007, 3:48:22 PM5/19/07
Jennie <jama...@aol.com> wrote in news:1179584513.664183.118710
@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Jennie wrote:

> I know there are D.C. folks who read this NG because they have e-
> mailed me privately. I now think I know why they do not post on the
> NG.

> I mentioned other people e-mailing me because I recently learned there

> are other transcriptionists in the D.C. area who read this NG, which
> was a pleasant surprise. In fact, two of them I had worked with
> before, and so it was great to renew our contact info and stay in
> touch. They told me that they do not post and are in a read-only mode
> on this NG.

Did they tell you why they don't post/r are in read only mode or are you
just guessing?

Jeannie

May 19, 2007, 3:49:38 PM5/19/07
Jennie <jama...@aol.com> wrote in news:1179583863.004257.34500
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I did not intentionally take any swipe at you. If you interpreted my
posts as such, then I apologize to the NG.

> Jennie

> Washington -- where transcripts have spaces before and after the
> double hyphen -- D.C.

Well, then I hope this sig line is just a lame attempt at humor.

Jennie

May 19, 2007, 4:09:34 PM5/19/07
You know, Jeannie, whatever I post at this point on the thread or in
the future, my words will be dissected. When a poster states their
opinion that I have it out for medical transcriptionists, nothing
could be further from the truth.

I truly am interested in transcript formats and styles, to include
puncutation, but I can see that having a constructive discussion, at
least by me at this juncture, is not going to happen.

I do not desire to engage in any negative back-and-forths with
anyone. I apologize to the NG for my sig line if it is interpreted as
"lame" humor. I'm just a transcriptionist who wanted to discuss
transcription-related topics with others in my industry.

If the two D.C. transcriptionists who contacted me via e-mail desire
to express why they do not post on this NG and are in a read-only
mode, then they can do so.

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

On May 19, 3:48 pm, Jeannie <jwilson...@comcastspamkills.net> wrote:
> Jennie <jamal...@aol.com> wrote in news:1179584513.664183.118710

Susan Mitchell

May 19, 2007, 4:16:31 PM5/19/07
Jennie, I agree, having worked years in court reporting, punctuating
transcripts is a whole different bailiwick. It is hard to get used to and
it is just different sometimes. Lots of strange things we do to express the
"spoken" word and set it out correctly.

--
Sue -- Firefighter mom -- Still Rabid UW Dawg Fan!
(to reply send to medla...@comcast.net)

"Jennie" <jama...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jeannie

May 19, 2007, 8:40:49 PM5/19/07
Jennie <jama...@aol.com> wrote in news:1179605374.442375.241960
@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> I truly am interested in transcript formats and styles, to include
> puncutation, but I can see that having a constructive discussion, at
> least by me at this juncture, is not going to happen.

Well, I imagine it could until the snide comments started, though. I can
understand, though, as I imagine not everyone likes being told they've been
doing it wrong or they learned wrong and people get defensive about it.

> If the two D.C. transcriptionists who contacted me via e-mail desire
> to express why they do not post on this NG and are in a read-only
> mode, then they can do so.

and your last statement couldn't be more correct. Let them say why they
don't post instead of insinuating you now know why they do. I couldn't
care less whether you like MTs or not. I think the nonsense of this thread
is ridiculous now.

Jennie

May 20, 2007, 3:16:16 AM5/20/07
On May 19, 8:40 pm, Jeannie <jwilson...@comcastspamkills.net> wrote:
> Jennie <jamal...@aol.com> wrote in news:1179605374.442375.241960

> @n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I truly am interested in transcript formats and styles, to include
> > puncutation, but I can see that having a constructive discussion, at
> > least by me at this juncture, is not going to happen.
>
> Well, I imagine it could until the snide comments started, though. I can
> understand, though, as I imagine not everyone likes being told they've been
> doing it wrong or they learned wrong and people get defensive about it.

The only snide comments on this thread are coming from you and LizzeB
towards me.

There is nothing for me to be defensive about because I do not believe
I am doing anything wrong.

I understand people do things differently in various sectors of the
transcription industry. I pay by the page. Others get paid by the
line. There are other differences as well.

I have a format and style guide that I give out to all
transcriptionsts who work for me. After this thread, I am going to
insert a paragraph in my guide about closing quotes, so that new
transcriptionists will be consistent with my company's format.

I am aware that people utilize different punctuation styles which is
why I give every new employee a guide when they begin working for me.
It helps that we are all singing from the same song sheet.

I will continue to do the closing quotes the way I have been doing
them, as well as the space before and after the double hyphen.

> > If the two D.C. transcriptionists who contacted me via e-mail desire
> > to express why they do not post on this NG and are in a read-only
> > mode, then they can do so.
>
> and your last statement couldn't be more correct. Let them say why they
> don't post instead of insinuating you now know why they do. I couldn't
> care less whether you like MTs or not. I think the nonsense of this thread
> is ridiculous now.

I have never stated I do not like MTs. This nonsense, if you will, is
coming from you and LizzieB. Flame away if it brings you enjoyment.
I have tried to be a contributor to this NG, but I just may go into a
read-only mode myself after this recent colloquy.

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

Jennie

May 20, 2007, 3:29:00 AM5/20/07
Hear, hear, Susan! :>)

Jennie
Washington, D.C.

On May 19, 4:16 pm, "Susan Mitchell" <medlawtr...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Jennie, I agree, having worked years in court reporting, punctuating
> transcripts is a whole different bailiwick. It is hard to get used to and
> it is just different sometimes. Lots of strange things we do to express the
> "spoken" word and set it out correctly.
>
> --
> Sue -- Firefighter mom -- Still Rabid UW Dawg Fan!

> (to reply send to medlawtr...@comcast.net)"Jennie" <jamal...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > > Brain diarrhea: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com/effdesblog/- Hide quoted text -

LizzieB.

May 20, 2007, 3:33:33 AM5/20/07
Jennie wrote:

> The only snide comments on this thread are coming from you and LizzeB
> towards me.

Usually I have my say and then I'm done, but this is BS.

Let's review, shall we? You made a snide remark about a firm you worked
for that unbelievably wanted no spaces around their "double hyphens."
When I POLITELY pointed out that that was actually correct (excuse me
for not qualifying that with, "Most everyplace else"), you were the one
who got snide at ME. What was that you said? Oh yes, I remember now:

> I guess the court reporting school I attended taught the students the
> wrong way to punctuate, LizzieB. Every court reporting firm in D.C.
> -- to include me -- must do it the wrong way, too. Wow.

and promptly followed that up by making the following your sig line:

> Jennie
> Washington -- where transcripts have spaces before and after the
> double hyphen -- D.C.

Now. If you're an honest sort, you'll acknowledge that A) you were
snide about the people who wanted it done RIGHT, B) you were snide at me
when I POLITELY explained The Rule, and C) you continue the farce by
insisting that you're not snide, are not being snide, and have never
been snide.

Even JEANNIE noticed your snideidity and I haven't been on her good side
in a month of Sundays.

I, naturally, will acknowledge that I am being snide to you and have
been snide to you ever since you were snide to me. Whether I continue
to be snide to you depends on how fast I forget your snideidity ever
happened, which could be as early as an hour and a half from now, since
I have the attention span of a gnat. AND YET you keep snidely
proclaiming your innocence and so I remember again and have to get snide.

I figure, if one person calls you an ass, you can figure they're having
a bad day. If three people call you an ass, buy a saddle. A snidesaddle.

--
LizzieB.
(who apparently just lurves to type "snide" 63 bazillion times in one post)

haggis

May 20, 2007, 3:53:57 AM5/20/07
Spew alert, please--though that was particularly effective after
rendering me dizzy from use of the word "snide" that many times in short
order.

Bonus points for coinage of "snideidity."

jeanne

May 21, 2007, 3:29:46 AM5/21/07
Jennie wrote:
> I guess the court reporting school I attended taught the students the
> wrong way to punctuate, LizzieB. Every court reporting firm in D.C.
> -- to include me -- must do it the wrong way, too. Wow.

Nah, that's probably some legal style.

May 21, 2007, 3:33:11 AM5/21/07
Jennie wrote:
> You know, Jeannie, whatever I post at this point on the thread or in
> the future, my words will be dissected. When a poster states their
> opinion that I have it out for medical transcriptionists, nothing
> could be further from the truth.

Well, I never would have thought that you have it out for us, but I just
don't state so, probably because I'm not following here too closely
these days. Generally I try not to give tacit approval to things I feel
are wrong/incorrect/whatever.

May 21, 2007, 12:35:33 PM5/21/07
Jennie wrote:

> This may be a rule that you believe is sound. I do not use Gregg as a
> reference source. I have come to learn that there are many reference
> sources when it comes to grammar and punctuation, though.

I just had another thought, Jennie. Do you have a copy of Lillian
Morson's grammar guide? It's a gold standard for court reporters and
might be useful to you as well. I'm sure they sell it at the ACRA site.