Prozac and sexual dysfunction

Camilla Cracchiolo

Oct 7, 1994, 3:44:19 AM10/7/94

How often does Prozac cause impotence? How does this correlate to
delayed orgasm? (i.e. are men getting erections but orgasm is delayed,
or are men not getting or losing erections, or both?)

Are there any medications that can be given to counter act this
effect or is it better to switch to a different antidepressant?

Thanks.

Camilla Cracchiolo, RN cam...@netcom.com Los Angeles, CA

Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS 213-766-1356
"The BBS for the information addict!"

c...@uchicago.edu

Oct 10, 1994, 6:41:47 PM10/10/94

Ask if you can add a small dose of Wellbutrin (buproprion) to your
SSRI. Seems to be working for me, although it's only been a few days
so it's too soon to be sure.

Jeffline NetNews User

Oct 11, 1994, 6:43:15 AM10/11/94

most anti-depressants affect sexuality in some way, just like you
described. prozac can inhibit orgasm in both males and females and
for most people this is "temporary" but that can mean three weeks. I've
seen the problem re-appear after a dose increase and again it was for a
few weeks. some are not so lucky and either have erectile difficulties or
"retarded orgasms" until the medication is discontinued

Dave Gardner

Oct 11, 1994, 2:42:58 PM10/11/94
On 11 Oct 1994 10:43:15 GMT, Jeffline NetNews User wrote:

: most anti-depressants affect sexuality in some way, just like you

Hmm, I had my first sex while on Paxil last night, and though I had no
problem getting an erection and having an orgasm, I felt very funny while
having the orgasm. It's hard describing it, because it happened so fast,
but it was like my brain shifted or something, vibrated, and I felt
displaced for a bit and it almost, but not quite, hurt. It made the
pleasure of the orgasm less intense because I immediately focused on what
was going on in my head.

I've only been on Paxil two days, so this might not be a good indicator,
but I found this totally weird.

Dave

--
Dave Gardner <p...@netcom.com>
Mylo <an12...@anon.penet.fi>

Ivan K. Goldberg

Oct 15, 1994, 7:23:51 PM10/15/94
Camilla Cracchiolo (cam...@netcom.com) wrote:

: How often does Prozac cause impotence? How does this correlate to

: delayed orgasm? (i.e. are men getting erections but orgasm is delayed,
: or are men not getting or losing erections, or both?)

If the dose is high enough there will be sexual side
effects for everyone taking SSRIs.

: Are there any medications that can be given to counter act this

: effect or is it better to switch to a different antidepressant?

There are many ways to overcome the sexual side effects.
Among the drugs that can be added to the SSRI are:

Amantadine
Periactin
Yohimbine
Bethanichol.

With individuals these work anywhere from not at all to
excellently. 4 - 8 mg of Periactin to tbe taken about
45 mins prior to need, is what I prescribe most frequently.

--
-- \\\\
(@ @)

chris dugan

Oct 18, 1994, 3:47:05 PM10/18/94
Ivan K. Goldberg (psy...@netcom.com) wrote:

: There are many ways to overcome the sexual side effects.

: Among the drugs that can be added to the SSRI are:

: Amantadine
: Periactin
: Yohimbine
: Bethanichol.

I thought yohimbine was a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. Was I
mistaken? An MAOI, of course, would be contraindicated for a patient
taking an SSRI. If it is not an MAOI, I think I will try it...
-cd

James Brundege

Oct 19, 1994, 8:29:49 PM10/19/94
In article <3818np$6...@carbon.denver.colorado.edu> cdd...@ouray.Denver.Colorado.EDU (chris dugan) writes:

> I thought yohimbine was a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. Was I
>mistaken? An MAOI, of course, would be contraindicated for a patient
>taking an SSRI. If it is not an MAOI, I think I will try it...
> -cd

Yohimbine is NOT an MAOI! I have seen a statement in an archive
file that says it is, but I have never seen any mention in the
literature that suggests it is an MAOI, nor have I ever heard of any
type of reaction between it and other drugs that would suggest any
activity at MAO.
Yohimbine is an alpha2 antagonist. It acts as a mild stimulant
and can enhance sexual sensation and facilitate getting an erection. I
believe some people have problems with it inducing anxiety. It has been
successfully mixed with SSRIs and even other stimulants without any
problem. And the beauty of it is there is a non-prescription form
available at your health food store.

James Brundege

James Brundege

Oct 20, 1994, 4:52:52 PM10/20/94
In article <941020051359...@delphi.com> ph...@delphi.com (Loy Lawhon) writes:

>James,
>
> Is yohimbine a vasodilator? Would it trigger migraines in susceptible
>individuals?
>
> Loy

Hmm, interesting question. Yohimbine does have some
vasodilating activity, but I lack the details to make a guess about its
effect on migraines. I did a quick search through medline on yohimbine
and migraines and came up with nothing, so it's probably not a problem.
I have actually known people who get migraines to take the drug without
problems, but as to whether it CAN trigger them, you never know for
sure.
Another interesting point: yohimbine has some 5-HT antagonist
properties too, so in this regard it may actually help to prevent
migraines. I suppose this depends on the subtypes of 5-HT receptors it
binds to, and I don't know that either.
If you find out more, let us know.
James Brundege

Loy Lawhon

Oct 21, 1994, 8:17:24 PM10/21/94
James,

Another Yohimbine question. Yohimbine is advertised in the health food
stores as increasing testosterone levels. Body builders take it in lieu of
steroids. Does it increase testosterone levels?

Loy

Steven Finkelman

Oct 19, 1994, 3:16:34 PM10/19/94

When I was on prozak some years ago, I found that I had an increase in
sexual function, and increase in the intensity of orgasm. It felt like the
prozak increased the conductivity of my periferal nerves, thus greater
tactile stimulation.

-sf
--
Steven Finkelman
DATA/Massage

Loy Lawhon

Oct 20, 1994, 5:14:18 AM10/20/94

James,

joh...@netcom.com

Oct 25, 1994, 11:36:05 PM10/25/94
: Yohimbine is an alpha2 antagonist. It acts as a mild stimulant

: and can enhance sexual sensation and facilitate getting an erection. I
: believe some people have problems with it inducing anxiety. It has been
: successfully mixed with SSRIs and even other stimulants without any
: problem. And the beauty of it is there is a non-prescription form
: available at your health food store.

The stuff I got at the health food store today suggest 2 tablets daily,
each containing 1500 mg. of yohimbe bark powder, along with 300 mg.
Ginseng, 300 mg. licorice root, and 25 mg cayenne. Is this sufficient to
overcome SSRI's sexual affects? Is there any correlation with the dose of
Yocon (Yohimbine hydochloride)? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Joel F Campbell

Oct 27, 1994, 10:42:51 PM10/27/94
Last semester I was having difficulty concentrating and getting my
work done. General daily functioning was difficult and a subsequent
depression occurred. Then I began to have anxiety attacks. My
psychiatrist prescribed Prozac (20mg daily) and I began treatment 3
months ago (over the summer). It worked, perhaps due to a placebo effect
for awhile, but now I'm pretty skeptical. Over the last weekend I quit
because I didn't think it was doing anything good for me besides dulling
myself to the anxiety of procrastination and failure. Its greatest
effect was that it made things easier to accept: nothing really bothered
or worried me anymore and this was what was beginning to bother me.
Now I'm wondering: (1) if I should try a dose of ritalin sometime to
see if it helps me get my work done (I hear it works wonders for those
with ADD), and (2) if anyone had any info about mixing ritalin and
prozac and whether it was alright to try ritalin a few days after going
off fluoxetine, and (3) about the real, experienced effects of alcohol
being mixed with Prozac (so far all I've noticed was a stronger buzz on
less alcohol) and (4) if alcohol depletes or affects in any way Prozac's
long-term effects.
I would greatly appreciate any information or opinions anyone had
regarding these matters. I hesitate to approach my psychiatrist about
trying ritalin without having it prescribed to me and every time I've
asked him about mixing Prozac with alcohol, I get vague answers like:
"it's not a good idea as it could make one psychotic"). Thank you in
advance.

Joel

Drew Dawson

Oct 29, 1994, 10:05:22 AM10/29/94
Joel,
what you describe re loss of initial euphoric effect is commonly
reported. As is the notion that prozac merely masks the problem by
making you less concerned about the shit in one's life. Generally
speaking, we do not use prozac for anxiety disorders in Australia.
These are commonly treated by cognitive behavioural interventions
and if these do not work, by anxiolytics such as the long half-life
benzodiazepines (Valium/Librium). Maybe you should shop around for
alternative approaches if you do not feel happy with a straight
pharmacological approach. These days, at least in Oz,
pharmacological intervention is though best used in conjunction with
'talk' therapies.
Hope this is of some use
Drew

Dr. Len Gribble

Nov 2, 1994, 5:48:27 PM11/2/94
In article <0ig6IfG00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, Joel F Campbell
<jc...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Last semester I was having difficulty concentrating and getting my
> work done.

As a psychiatrist I am seeing many adult patients with ADD. Several of
them are also depressed. I have encountered no particular major problems
mixing Ritalin and Prozac, but you shouldn't be using Ritalin just for
it's stimulant effects. If you have ADD it will help, otherwise you might
find yourself becoming addicted to the Ritalin. I also have had patients
mixing Prozac with moderate (!) amounts of alcohol without problems. I no
of no studies indicating that mixing the two causes psychosis. Hope this
helps.

Francois Desrosiers

Nov 5, 1994, 5:23:00 AM11/5/94

L>From: lgri...@helix.net (Dr. Len Gribble)

>mixing Ritalin and Prozac, but you shouldn't be using Ritalin just for
>it's stimulant effects. If you have ADD it will help, otherwise you might
>find yourself becoming addicted to the Ritalin.

Does you suggest that the addiction is different in children and
adults. I have never seen any case of ritalin addiction in children. All
the children that I have seen have some day dropped the ritalin without
any effects.

Do you also suggest that you can have an addiction if you dont have ADD
but can develop on if you have it.

Seem strange

Francois

---
* SPEED 1.40 [NR] * SPEED READ does everything but think up new taglines!
--
|Fidonet: Francois Desrosiers 128:200/0
|Internet: fran...@deltacom.cam.org

Francois Desrosiers

Nov 5, 1994, 5:23:00 AM11/5/94

Minorkeys

Dec 17, 1994, 12:15:05 AM12/17/94
In article <0ig6IfG00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, Joel F Campbell
<jc...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

Wondering about combining Prozac + Ritalin?

I don't recommend Ritalin as a psychostimulant for a young, physically
healthy adult. I think you run the risk of amphetamine abuse. I have
tended to use Ritalin in my consultation-liaison practice and in my
geriatric practice; in both I have seen little or no abuse BUT I'm
generally using for somewhat different indications than regular
antidepressants -- I tend to use Ritalin for apathetic, medically ill or
demented people NOT for conventional major depressions.

Hope this is of some help -- beware of medicating symptoms not syndromes.
Also beware of medicating anxiety disorders -- the gentleman from
Australia is quite on target.

Paul B. Rosenberg, M.D.
Washington VAMC Dept. of Psychiatry

Pietr Hitzig

Dec 18, 1994, 1:02:45 PM12/18/94
Minorkeys <mino...@aol.com> writes:

>I don't recommend Ritalin as a psychostimulant for a young, physically
>healthy adult. I think you run the risk of amphetamine abuse. I have
>tended to use Ritalin in my consultation-liaison practice and in my
>geriatric practice; in both I have seen little or no abuse BUT I'm
>generally using for somewhat different indications than regular
>antidepressants -- I tend to use Ritalin for apathetic, medically ill or
>demented people NOT for conventional major depressions.

I would agree. Ritalin is addictive. However, other substituted amphetamines
are a different kettle of fish. With the use of a dopamine increasing drug,
phentermine (PHEN), and a serotonin increaser fenfluramine at the same time
Ihave been able to stop depression, alcohol and cocaine craving. See other
thread for more details.

Pietr Hitzig, MD
Private doctor

Cfulghum

Dec 25, 1994, 2:59:38 PM12/25/94
Glad to have your opinion on this. I am seeing more and more "ADDs" who
want Ritalin. I think we are headed for trouble. CFulghum AOL (md)

Ivan Goldberg

Dec 25, 1994, 11:15:25 PM12/25/94
Cfulghum (cful...@aol.com) wrote:
: Glad to have your opinion on this. I am seeing more and more "ADDs" who

: want Ritalin. I think we are headed for trouble. CFulghum AOL (md)

There is a growing literature of the combined use of
Ritalin and Prozac. The most often way in which the
two medications are combined is for people who while
taking Prozac become lethargic and somewhat akinetic.
D. Kline and others have hypothesized that this
reaction is the result of dopaminergic downregulation
caused by Prozac. Adding Ritalin, Dexedrine, or another
dopaminergic stimulant often restores the individual
to normal levels of activity and mood. Ritalin has
also often been effective as a way to potentiate the
antidepressant effects of Prozac, when they have not
been sufficiently dramatic.

In the next few years we will be hearing more and more
about the usefulness of combinations of SSRIs and
dopaminergic agents. I think you will find an article
on this topic in the Spring '95 issue of Progress
Notes, a publication of the American Society for Clinical
Psychopharmacology
--
-- \\\\
(@ @)

|| Ivan Goldberg, MD ~ ||
|| ik...@columbia.edu psy...@netcom.com ||

|| V: 212 876 7800 / 1346 Lexington Ave NYC 10128 / F: 212 737 0473 ||
|| http://avocado.pc.helsinki.fi/~janne/ikg/ ||