Need Info on Meconium into Lungs

DownUnder

Feb 4, 2001, 11:13:10 AM2/4/01
Dear Folks:

My wife delivered a baby boy 2 weeks ago. She was 42 weeks when they applied
the gel (prostaglandin) to induce labor. Within 18 hours after the gel was
applied, her water broke. Her water was dark and green. After the water
broke, they did a c-section on her within 4 to 5 hours.

Since they thought he swallowed meconium, they put him on oxygen . He has
been on oxygen for last 2 weeks now! He is on 50 to 100 ml oxygen. For the
last 2 days, they tried to stop the oxygen to check if he can breathe just
the normal fresh air. However, his blood saturation dropped to 85 to 90%
within an hour. Hence, they put him back on oxygen. Hence, they plan to keep
him on oxygen for another week.

They also have decided to do his ECG to check his heart. His lung x-rays
right after birth and 1 week after birth showed streaks of meconium in his
lungs.

I would like to know how serious this problem is?
How long it may take for the meconium to clear and he can breath normally?
Could the diagnosis be wrong? I mean could it be something more than
meconium?
How do we find out if it has caused any brain or lung damage?
What should they be doing (if not already doing) to help him?
How would the heart be related to this problem (I mean, why are they doing
an ECG?)
What other symptoms should we be watching for?

Any information or experience you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Milind Khire
Auckland, New Zealand