Dymetadrine 25 - Where?

robert.e.sojka

Jun 13, 1993, 2:30:16 PM6/13/93
I've read a lot about Dymetadrine 25 as a pre-workout supplement
on the net and elsewhere. It is supposed to be an over the
counter medication but I've called about a dozen pharmacies
and no one seems to have heard of it. Is this the correct trade name?
If so where can I find it. Any informations would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Steve Dyer

Jun 13, 1993, 4:09:48 PM6/13/93

Dymetadrine is a brand name for ephedrine, a bronchodilator and
stimulant related to methamphetamine. Ephedrine is available
over-the-counter in most states, but the idea of using such a
drug before a workout is pretty looney.

--
Steve Dyer
dy...@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

Amitabh Agrawal

Jun 13, 1993, 5:51:32 PM6/13/93

In article <1993Jun13.2...@spdcc.com> dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:

> Dymetadrine is a brand name for ephedrine, a bronchodilator and
> stimulant related to methamphetamine. Ephedrine is available
>> over-the-counter in most states, but the idea of using such a
>> drug before a workout is pretty looney.

I am glad you approve...

Amit

PS: Incidently wasn't it this month's MM2000 which had an article on a
test study where they found that caffeine/ephidrine (200mg/20mg) three
times a day had significant thermogenesis effect and the subjects did
not report any side effects except for some who got wired...

Amit

""BETTER LIVING THRU CHEMISTRY""

Adam Silver

Jun 13, 1993, 9:20:34 PM6/13/93
In article <AGRAWAL.93...@lipari.usc.edu> agr...@lipari.usc.edu (Amitabh Agrawal) writes:

[opinions deleted]

>Amit
>
>PS: Incidently wasn't it this month's MM2000 which had an article on a
>test study where they found that caffeine/ephidrine (200mg/20mg) three
>times a day had significant thermogenesis effect and the subjects did
>not report any side effects except for some who got wired...
>
>Amit
>
>""BETTER LIVING THRU CHEMISTRY""

Yes, this is correct.

-Adam

* Adam Silver Powerlifter/Armwrestler *
* sil...@umd5.umd.edu University of Maryland *

Steve Dyer

Jun 14, 1993, 12:56:24 AM6/14/93
In article <1vgjp2$2...@macbeth.umd.edu> sil...@macbeth.umd.edu (Adam Silver) writes:

>>PS: Incidently wasn't it this month's MM2000 which had an article on a
>>test study where they found that caffeine/ephidrine (200mg/20mg) three
>>times a day had significant thermogenesis effect and the subjects did
>>not report any side effects except for some who got wired...
>>
>>Amit
>>
>>""BETTER LIVING THRU CHEMISTRY""
>
>Yes, this is correct.

Which says nothing about the safety of using this during workouts,
a time at which the cardiovascular system is under added stress.
Nor for that matter, does it address the usual way that muscle-droids
use these substances during workouts, by taking many times the recommended
dose of 25-50mg of ephedrine (recommended, that is, for other indications)
before working out.

I have no doubt that caffeine/ephedrine (200mg/20mg) taken three
times a day would increase one's metabolism, at least initially.
Whether such an effect is sustained after more than a week or two
is not at all clear--ephedrine's most notable effect, and the reason
it is of marginal utility in treating asthma, is that it stops working
after a few weeks, a phenomenon known as tachyphylaxis. Of course,
this might be why people often start increasing the dose.

If it's thermogenesis you're after, a combination of aspirin/caffeine/
ephedrine is even more effective. Which doesn't mean it's advisable.

Tom Molnar

Jun 14, 1993, 6:09:07 AM6/14/93
In article <1993Jun14....@spdcc.com> dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
#
[...]

Let me add a few words about Dymetadrine-25. You can order copies from
several places, just look for those "pill" adds in any bodybuilding magazine.
It's called pseudoephedrine-HCL, 25mg. Take a look at the scale in that
mmedia-2000 chart. I didn't buy that issue because I saw nothing of value
this month (I don't seem to be as impressed with this mag as some of you seem
to be). Notice that the best rate appears to be around 150 kj/3hrs. That's
not a hell of a lot. I'm working from memory, so you should check that.
(That's joules, not calories).

The weight you lose with dymetadrine-25 is almost all water, and the weightloss
is temporary. I know, I used it, I lost the weight, I gained it right back.

Dymetadrine-25 has a strong effect for the first few doses, and then
the effect tapers off quickly. After a week of regular use you no
longer get much of a rush, but you do suffer all the side effects (no
sleep, high resting heart rate, very high blood pressure, irritability,
etc.) After two weeks, you've depleted the norepinephrine in your brain, and
you fall into a depression and you become one visibly disturbed individual.
When you finally stop taking it, you will continue to remain depressed for
weeks, and your weight will rebound very quickly because you will not give
a damn about what you eat (a result of the depression).

Occasional use of dymetadrine-25 avoids these pit falls. If you feel you must
rely on drugs to make achievements that you ought to be able to do on your own,
you should at least stagger the dosage so that your body never gets "used" to
the drug.

At least it's not an addictive amphetamine.

Tom

Ron Cecchini

Jun 14, 1993, 10:56:16 AM6/14/93
In article <1vgjp2$2...@macbeth.umd.edu> sil...@macbeth.umd.edu (Adam Silver) writes:
>>PS: Incidently wasn't it this month's MM2000 which had an article on a
>>test study where they found that caffeine/ephidrine (200mg/20mg) three
>>times a day had significant thermogenesis effect and the subjects did
>>not report any side effects except for some who got wired...
>>
>>Amit
>>
>>""BETTER LIVING THRU CHEMISTRY""
>
>Yes, this is correct.

... don't forget to add the 300mg aspirin to that stack.

Ron

--
Discipline - Desire - Determination - Dedication
(... and in search of the perfect potato pancake ...)

Rich Young

Jun 14, 1993, 10:23:31 AM6/14/93
In article <C8Lw7...@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca> mol...@Bisco.CAnet.CA (Tom Molnar) writes:
>In article <1993Jun14....@spdcc.com> dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>#
># Which says nothing about the safety of using this during workouts,
># a time at which the cardiovascular system is under added stress.
># Nor for that matter, does it address the usual way that muscle-droids
># use these substances during workouts, by taking many times the recommended
># dose of 25-50mg of ephedrine (recommended, that is, for other indications)
># before working out.
>#
># I have no doubt that caffeine/ephedrine (200mg/20mg) taken three
># times a day would increase one's metabolism, at least initially.
># Whether such an effect is sustained after more than a week or two
># is not at all clear--ephedrine's most notable effect, and the reason
># it is of marginal utility in treating asthma, is that it stops working
># after a few weeks, a phenomenon known as tachyphylaxis. Of course,
># this might be why people often start increasing the dose.
>#
># If it's thermogenesis you're after, a combination of aspirin/caffeine/
># ephedrine is even more effective. Which doesn't mean it's advisable.
>
>Let me add a few words about Dymetadrine-25. You can order copies from
>several places, just look for those "pill" adds in any bodybuilding magazine.
>It's called pseudoephedrine-HCL, 25mg.

Is this true!? Shucks, I can get stronger stuff at any drug store!
Go to your local CVS and look in the "Cough/Colds Remedies" section
under Sudafed (which is pseudoephedrine HCl manufactured by Burroughs-
Wellcome and is available in 30 and 60 mg tablets). Then move just
beyond the Sudafed display to the generic stuff and look for something
called "pseudo-fed" or some such name like that. For a couple o'
bucks, you can get as much "Dymetradine-25" as you can stand...and in
higher strengths.

The word "rip-off" keeps intruding into my thoughts in direct associa-
tion with "Dymetradine-25".

I have some trouble understanding how an OTC decongestant is going
to help body-building all that much.

[...]

>Dymetadrine-25 has a strong effect for the first few doses, and then
>the effect tapers off quickly. After a week of regular use you no
>longer get much of a rush, but you do suffer all the side effects (no
>sleep, high resting heart rate, very high blood pressure, irritability,
>etc.) After two weeks, you've depleted the norepinephrine in your brain, and
>you fall into a depression and you become one visibly disturbed individual.
>When you finally stop taking it, you will continue to remain depressed for
>weeks, and your weight will rebound very quickly because you will not give
>a damn about what you eat (a result of the depression).

Given this, how do you explain the following statement:

>At least it's not an addictive amphetamine.

It's clearly addictive, as is its companion which is often used in
so-called "diet pills": phenylpropanolamine HCl. That these diet
pills are addictive has been demonstrated, and increased dosage
requirements simply to maintain equilibrium as well as the withdrawal
depression you describe certainly sounds like amphetamine addiction
to ME.

Beyond that, I have a hard time figuring out how a 25 mg dose of
something routinely sold OTC in 30 and 60 mg doses will have "a strong
effect for the first few doses." May I humbly suggest that a
reality check might be in order regarding Dymetradine-25?

-Rich Young

(The views expressed herein do not reflect those of Eastman Kodak Company Inc.)

Ron Cecchini

Jun 14, 1993, 11:04:35 AM6/14/93
In article <C8Lw7...@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca> mol...@Bisco.CAnet.CA (Tom Molnar) writes:

Huh? I agree that you shouldn't over do it, and that you stagger the
dosage, but all that other stuff you mentioned doesn't make sense.

At the least, you should say that that is what *you* experienced. I (and
many others) have had no problems. Your depressions may have resulted from
something else.

Adam Silver

Jun 14, 1993, 11:10:47 AM6/14/93
In article <1993Jun14....@spdcc.com> dy...@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <1vgjp2$2...@macbeth.umd.edu> sil...@macbeth.umd.edu (Adam Silver) writes:
>>>
>>>PS: Incidently wasn't it this month's MM2000 which had an article on a
>>>test study where they found that caffeine/ephidrine (200mg/20mg) three
>>>times a day had significant thermogenesis effect and the subjects did
>>>not report any side effects except for some who got wired...
>>>
>>>Amit
>>>
>>>""BETTER LIVING THRU CHEMISTRY""
>>
>>Yes, this is correct.
>
>Which says nothing about the safety of using this during workouts,
>a time at which the cardiovascular system is under added stress.

That's right. I didn't say anything about it. Do you know why I didn't? I
just wanted to see if Steve Dyer was going to respond to it in his usual
SUPERIOR voice. :-)

Hopefully, the guy that was asking about the stuff in the first place is
going to read about it. I would rather tell him where to get information
on it, so he can make his own decision rather than just give my own opinion.
Everyone reacts at least a little differently to different types of drugs.
I do believe, but I'm not certain, that the article says that the study was
done with athletes involved and that no apparent harmful side effects
occured. I guess the question is: what is considered harmful?

>Nor for that matter, does it address the usual way that muscle-droids
>use these substances during workouts, by taking many times the recommended
>dose of 25-50mg of ephedrine (recommended, that is, for other indications)
>before working out.

Hey, that's why Amit told him about the study. "Muscle-droids" do take
ephedrine in different ways. Some take it by increasing the dosage every
so often because the body builds a tolerance to it if it is used on a
DAILY basis. If you read in the right places, you learn to cycle it on
a 2 day on/2 day off schedule to help remedy that problem (of tachyphylaxis).

You could also just use it to help with thermogenesis like the article in
MM2000 pointed out.

Or you can even use it as an asthma medication.

Hey, would it be okay if the FDA said that people could use it for a
thermogenesis effect? :-)

>I have no doubt that caffeine/ephedrine (200mg/20mg) taken three
>times a day would increase one's metabolism, at least initially.
>Whether such an effect is sustained after more than a week or two
>is not at all clear--ephedrine's most notable effect, and the reason
>it is of marginal utility in treating asthma, is that it stops working
>after a few weeks, a phenomenon known as tachyphylaxis. Of course,
>this might be why people often start increasing the dose.

Did you read the study?

>If it's thermogenesis you're after, a combination of aspirin/caffeine/
>ephedrine is even more effective. Which doesn't mean it's advisable.

Hey, I'm not advising him, and neither is Amit. We are just conveying
information. I sometimes write stuff about steroids here, but I'm not telling
people to use them. It's their own decision whether they want to use
something or not. Of course there are all sorts of contraindications
(like that word, Steve?) to using ANY drug, even for it's supposed use,
and anyone even thinking about using a drug should know about the FACTS
first, rather than just the opinions.

Read the studies.

Hey, Steve. Do you know of any natural, safe fat burners that you might
want to share with the group.

I know one: eat 5-6 meals a day. This will help to increase your metabolism.

>Steve Dyer
>dy...@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

-Adam

Steve Dyer

Jun 14, 1993, 10:06:13 AM6/14/93
In article <C8Lw7...@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca> mol...@Bisco.CAnet.CA (Tom Molnar) writes:
>Let me add a few words about Dymetadrine-25. You can order copies from
>several places, just look for those "pill" adds in any bodybuilding magazine.
>It's called pseudoephedrine-HCL, 25mg.

I'm pretty sure that Dymetadrine is l-ephedrine, not pseudoephedrine (another
stereoisomer [one of 4] of ephedrine.)

>The weight you lose with dymetadrine-25 is almost all water, and the weightloss
>is temporary. I know, I used it, I lost the weight, I gained it right back.

I don't know if I'd ascribe it all to water loss. But what is true is
that any weight-loss induced by an exogenous substance (amphetamines,
ephedrine, nicotine) will quickly reappear if you stop taking the
substance.

>At least it's not an addictive amphetamine.

Ephedrine is a drug of the amphetamine class. It's not as subjectively
pleasant to most people as amphetamine, but that's mostly a matter of
degree. Experienced stimulant drug users in a double-blind test would
have a difficult time distinguishing ephedrine from amphetamine.
What's more, there are cases in the literature of ephedrine abuse
causing a syndrome indistinguishable from amphetamine abuse (a syndrome
indistinguishable from paranoid schizophrenia). That this doesn't
happen all that often probably says more about stimulants in general
and their propensity to be overused than it does about the relative safety
of ephedrine compared to amphetamine.

Tom Molnar

Jun 14, 1993, 2:09:55 PM6/14/93
Geez, I really don't want to post much more on dymetadrine-25. I know what
it is, how it works, the effect it has etc. Those of you who don't want to
believe what I say about it, fine, no big deal.

I was a diet fiend for several years, and I pursued anything, EVERYTHING,
that even hinted at helping to lose weight. The first time I came across
dymetadrine-25 was in Philip's natural supplement review. I read about how
it helped burn fat by stimulating thermogenesis (and by this time, I'd been
using MCT oil to do the same thing) so I went looking for it. Eventually
I figured out it was a central nervous system stimulant. Dymetadrine-25 is
nothing more than a brand name for psuedoephedrine HCL in 25 mg tablet form
distributed by AST Reaserch. This is a very common bronchodilator derived
from the Ephedra plant (ephedrine), but because it is synthetic, it works
faster than the real thing. (Aside: AST markets natural ephedrine as EPH 833).
You'll find pseudoephedrine in many decongestant medications, particularly
all those that say you won't fall asleep taking it. Typical doses in
capsules is about 60 mg in a time-release.

As I said, it's a CNS, and it works by stimulating the release of certain
hormones. As with most other stimulants, it doesn't promote the manufacture
of these hormones, just the release. Eventually the stores are depleted,
and you end up depressed. There are other drugs (amino acids) that can be
used to offset this effect. I know the details to this, but I'm not going to
bother explaining it in any more detail. Take it or leave it.

The thermogenetic effect is common to most CNS type drugs. Caffein is another
example. It is well known that combining caffein and ephedrine results
in a heightened effect. Taking ASA at the same time increases the time
duration of the effect. Combining all of these with extended aerobics is
often used to reduce bodyfat levels. But as I have pointed out, much of the
weight lost is a result of dehydration -- this combo is a very powerful
diuretic. It's also an appetite suppresant.

In article <C8M7z...@newsserver.pixel.kodak.com> yo...@serum.kodak.com writes:
#
# Is this true!? Shucks, I can get stronger stuff at any drug store!

Right, except that it's usually in time-release format and mixed with
other stuff and the effects are not as pronounced.

# called "pseudo-fed" or some such name like that. For a couple o'
# bucks, you can get as much "Dymetradine-25" as you can stand...and in
# higher strengths.

Yes, D-25 is a rip-off. You can get the same stuff from mail order joints
for a fraction of the cost.

# The word "rip-off" keeps intruding into my thoughts in direct associa-
# tion with "Dymetradine-25".
#
# I have some trouble understanding how an OTC decongestant is going
# to help body-building all that much.

Because it's a powerful CNS. Ephedra has been used for centuries. If
you are not used to it, you become agressive, stimulated. The more agressive
you are, the heavier the weight you can handle. The more weight you
use during a session, the more effective it can be.

People usually take more than a single 25mg tablet for a single dose -- but
even 26mg pure psuedoephedrine-HCL has a strong effect when taken on an
empty stomach.

Some people just load up on 400mg of caffein. Others use speed.

#
# Given this, how do you explain the following statement:
#
# >At least it's not an addictive amphetamine.
#
# It's clearly addictive, as is its companion which is often used in
# so-called "diet pills": phenylpropanolamine HCl.

No, you can stop using it fairly painlessly (at least most people can
-- sort of like caffein addiction). There is no long term dependence
as there can be with other amphetamines. The depression is the result
of a depleted store of norepinephrine.

# Beyond that, I have a hard time figuring out how a 25 mg dose of
# something routinely sold OTC in 30 and 60 mg doses will have "a strong
# effect for the first few doses." May I humbly suggest that a
# reality check might be in order regarding Dymetradine-25?

I agree, I've used it, and wouldn't consider using it again. Anyone who is
pushing Dymetadrine-25 (as opposed to saying CNS drugs can make you lift
heavier weights by making you agressive during the training session) is just
out to make a buck. But then, just about ALL the miracle supplements are
hoaxes designed by sophisticated hucksters. And before you ask, no, I
haven't figured out which ones really work and which ones don't. No, I
don't buy the Bill Philips reviews either -- not any more.

Anyway, that's it from me on this topic.

Tom

Steve Dyer

Jun 14, 1993, 12:43:43 PM6/14/93
Phenylpropanolamine (Acutrim, Dexatrim) is NOT addictive. It is
virtually without any stimulant effect, and there is no withdrawal
syndrome seen after it's stopped (except, perhaps, weight gain after
weight loss due to the drug.)

Its stereoisomer norpseudoephedrine is often confused with
phenylpropanolamine in the literature; it is far more
amphetamine-like, and is one of the primary components of khat.

Chuck Grissom

Jun 15, 1993, 9:30:00 AM6/15/93
In article <C8MIG...@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca>, mol...@Bisco.CAnet.CA (Tom Molnar) writes:
|> Geez, I really don't want to post much more on dymetadrine-25. I know what
|> it is, how it works, the effect it has etc. Those of you who don't want to
|> believe what I say about it, fine, no big deal.

[stuff deleted]

|> I figured out it was a central nervous system stimulant. Dymetadrine-25 is
|> nothing more than a brand name for psuedoephedrine HCL in 25 mg tablet form

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ --NOT

|> distributed by AST Reaserch. This is a very common bronchodilator derived

Maybe you do know lots about this stuff, but you are very wrong if you think
ephedrine HCL and pseudoephedrine HCL are the same thing. They are not, and
you are steering people wrong when you tell them they can get the same thing
by buying Sudafed or its generic equivalent.

Chuck G.

International Messaging

Jun 15, 1993, 11:18:31 AM6/15/93
I've recently tried the trio asparin/caffeine/ephadrine, using Sudafed.
This was fine for over a month, while I (think I) lost some fat. Then my
Dimetadrine arrived in the post. I switched over to this, and had *real*
trouble sleeping. e.g. woke up for several hours each night, didn't feel
too great, etc. Thus, I've chucked the lot of them. They did their job for
a while, but I'd prefer not be using these things, as longterm use can't be
good.

In summary, if you can handle the sleep loss, the trio probably works.

Ed

--

Ed Wilkinson e...@ima.com International Messaging Associates

Tom Molnar

Jun 15, 1993, 11:50:35 AM6/15/93
# In article <C8MIG...@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca>, mol...@Bisco.CAnet.CA (Tom Molnar) writes:
#
# Maybe you do know lots about this stuff, but you are very wrong if you think
# ephedrine HCL and pseudoephedrine HCL are the same thing. They are not, and
# you are steering people wrong when you tell them they can get the same thing
# by buying Sudafed or its generic equivalent.
#
# Chuck G.

Chuck, no I don't know a lot about this stuff. Just what I've read in layman's
articles. From what I know, ephedrine is derived from a natural source, the
ephedra plant. Pseudoephedrine is artificial. Very similar effects, except
that pseudoephedrine is quicker acting.

I did say that Dymetadrine-25 is a brand name for pseudoephedrine-HCL in a 25mg
tablet form. That's what I thought it was. I just took a look at an old
bottle and I notice it does not say PSEUDOephedrine, just ephedrine.

I distinctly remember reading that it was pseudoephedrine, but I guess I must
be wrong and so I must apologize for causing confusion. That wasn't my intent.
In fact, looking at the marketing junk from AST, they make a big deal about the
fact that dymetadrine-25 is made from natural ephedrine.

I've taken both Dymetadrine-25 and copies, and did not notice any difference
at all. Maybe that's why I thought D-25 was pseudoephedrine, I'm not sure.
I guess I could be wrong again, but I think that this is an example where
an artificial derivative is very similar to the real thing (as is the case
with some vitamins for example).

BTW *I* was NOT the one steering people to Sudafed or any other
decongestant. *I* was the one who said these drugs had other
components and that the bronchodilator was just one ingredient.

I did not, do not recommend taking cold medication as a pre-workout supplement.

In fact, some decongestants also include ASA and caffein as part of their
formulation -- so it would be really stupid to try stacking cold medication
with coffee and aspirin. They hide the names and call them things like
willow bark extract or gotu kola extract or something. ASA and caffein.
Both boost the effect of ephedrine.

You've all seen the ads for pills in the magazines -- caffein pills,
sleeping pills, diet pills, asthma pills in various sizes and shapes.
Hearts, bullets, tablets etc. If you look closely, you'll find that
they offer psuedoephedrine-HCL in 25mg tablets -- that's where I got
the copies. It was a bad idea, those operations are pretty shady and
you never know what you get from places like that.

AST also sells another tablet or capsule for those who want something stronger.
It's called EPH 833. This is ephedrine (not pseudoephedrine) in a larger dose.
It's used by those who no longer get a kick out of Dymetadrine-25 (basically
I think that if you reach this stage you should think real hard about what
you're doing to yourself).

I'm not telling anyone to use this stuff, I'm just passing on info I've learned.
I've used Dymetadrine-25 briefly, never touched EPH 833. I called AST and asked
them what EPH833 was, that's all.

Now, just so that we all have this straight, for the record, I say:

Don't use drugs of any type to enhance your workout.

I was seduced by the supplement market, but I now know better. No doubt my
warning is meaningless. I now strive for health, not appearance.

I think I better clam up. I'm getting myself in too deep.
Tom

Rich Young

Jun 15, 1993, 11:47:50 AM6/15/93

Just to clear things up: Tom said that the stuff was pseudoephedrine
HCl. _I_ was the one who said that, if that was true, it could be
had at the local drug store as Sudafed or even a generic. If it's
NOT pseudoephedrine HCl as Tom claimed, then I retract the drugstore
availability statements as presented.

Chuck Grissom

Jun 15, 1993, 3:38:01 PM6/15/93
In article <C8o6J...@newsserver.pixel.kodak.com>, yo...@serum.kodak.com (Rich Young) writes:

|> Just to clear things up: Tom said that the stuff was pseudoephedrine
|> HCl. _I_ was the one who said that, if that was true, it could be
|> had at the local drug store as Sudafed or even a generic. If it's
|> NOT pseudoephedrine HCl as Tom claimed, then I retract the drugstore
|> availability statements as presented.

Sorry I got you guys mixed up. Let me try again.

Ephedra is a naturally occuring stimulant, and ephedrine is a man-made drug
which is similar (or identical to) a component of ehedra. Ephedrine used
to be used as a bronchodilator, but it's CNS stimulant effects made it
undesireable for that purpose. Of course, if you WANT CNS stimulation, it
works pretty well. Pseudoephedrine (sudafed) works as a nasal decongestant
and also has mild CNS stimulation effects (much milder than ephedrine.)
Ephedrine definitely works as a performance enhancer (just ask the IOC, who
has banned it.) The question is, are the side effects worth the performance
increase? I find if I cycle off-and-on the caffeine-ephedrine-aspirin stack
it helps my lifting. Some people make the issue of whether or not to use
any performance-enhancing substances almost a 'religious' one. For myself,
I just weigh the pros and cons of each situation. Sure, if steroids had
no side effects, and were legal, I'd use 'em.

Chuck G.

Steve Dyer

Jun 16, 1993, 1:05:10 AM6/16/93
In article <C8o6o...@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca> mol...@Bisco.CAnet.CA (Tom Molnar) writes:
>Chuck, no I don't know a lot about this stuff. Just what I've read in layman's
>articles. From what I know, ephedrine is derived from a natural source, the
>ephedra plant. Pseudoephedrine is artificial. Very similar effects, except
>that pseudoephedrine is quicker acting.

Pseudoephedrine is also found in ephedra. Pseudoephedrine is less
stimulating and is not a bronchodilator.

>I did say that Dymetadrine-25 is a brand name for pseudoephedrine-HCL in a 25mg
>tablet form. That's what I thought it was. I just took a look at an old
>bottle and I notice it does not say PSEUDOephedrine, just ephedrine.

Right.

>I've taken both Dymetadrine-25 and copies, and did not notice any difference
>at all. Maybe that's why I thought D-25 was pseudoephedrine, I'm not sure.
>I guess I could be wrong again, but I think that this is an example where
>an artificial derivative is very similar to the real thing (as is the case
>with some vitamins for example).

They are two different drugs.

>You've all seen the ads for pills in the magazines -- caffein pills,
>sleeping pills, diet pills, asthma pills in various sizes and shapes.
>Hearts, bullets, tablets etc. If you look closely, you'll find that
>they offer psuedoephedrine-HCL in 25mg tablets -- that's where I got
>the copies. It was a bad idea, those operations are pretty shady and
>you never know what you get from places like that.

No, they all contain ephedrine.

David Wu

Jun 16, 1993, 7:12:25 PM6/16/93
The chinese herb: Ma Huang contains Ephedrine as well. Many diet pills
(such as Diet Pep) contain this.

If you want to burn fat, you might not want to eat five or six meals a
day. Every time you eat, the insulin that your body produces lowers the amount
of free fatty acids in your blood. After a meal you burn primarily
carbohyrate. Eventually your insulin levels drop and your body starts to use
more fat and protein as energy. (insulin prevents protein utilization)
I have read a studie (I cannot remember a reference off hand) that
demonstrated that the thermic effect of food depends on the quantity of food
eaten and is not affected by the number of meals eaten.

I would say the best reason for eating more than three meals a day is
that the body can handle small doses of food better and insulin will not
go through the roof (and give rise to insulin resistance and denovo synthesis
of fatty acids in the liver).
Your body may also absorb nurtients more efficienty with freqent meals.

I have also heard that growth hormone is more effectively stimulated
by frequent meals. (and this can be quite useful in fat reduction)

Rudy Wade

Jun 17, 1993, 4:02:19 PM6/17/93
In article <C8qLs...@cchtor.cch.com> d...@cchtor.cch.com (David Wu) writes:
> If you want to burn fat, you might not want to eat five or six meals a
>day. Every time you eat, the insulin that your body produces lowers the amount
>of free fatty acids in your blood. After a meal you burn primarily
>carbohyrate. Eventually your insulin levels drop and your body starts to use
>more fat and protein as energy. (insulin prevents protein utilization)
>I have read a studie (I cannot remember a reference off hand) that
>demonstrated that the thermic effect of food depends on the quantity of food
>eaten and is not affected by the number of meals eaten.

Everything I've ever read seems to indicate exactly the opposite --
that eating infrequent meals will slow down your metabolist amd more
of the food you eat will be stored as fat.

Could you look up the reference for this study?

--
"duh"

David Wu

Jun 21, 1993, 6:45:43 PM6/21/93

I will look up the reference, but as I said, eating one large meal is
likely to produce and overdose of insulin and perhaps insulin resistance. This
would result in more of your food being converted into fat. However, I don't
believe that BMR is raised any more from several meals as opposed to one. In
fact, in the study I read, BMR was raised more from one single meal (over a 24
hour period) this may be due to the energy spent in converting carbohydrate to
fat...