Maltol

1 view

ironjustice

Feb 18, 2023, 9:01:02 PM2/18/23
Maltol Promotes Mitophagy and Inhibits Oxidative Stress via the Nrf2/PINK1/Parkin Pathway after Spinal Cord Injury
Yuqin Mao 1, Jiqing Du 1, Xianghang Chen 1, Abdullah Al Mamun 1, Lin Cao 1, Yanhong Yang 1, Joana Mubwandarikwa 1, Muhammad Zaeem 1, Wanying Zhang 1, Yan Chen 1, Yusen Dai 1, Jian Xiao 1, Keyong Ye 1
Oxid Med Cell Longev
. 2022 Feb 1;2022:1337630. doi: 10.1155/2022/1337630. eCollection 2022.
PMID: 35154562 PMCID: PMC8826207 DOI: 10.1155/2022/1337630
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35154562/
Abstract
Spinal cord injury (SCI), a fatal disease in the central nervous system, is characteristic of weak neuronal regeneration ability and complex pathological progress. Activation of oxidative stress (OS) and apoptosis-mediated cell death significantly contributes to the progression of SCI. Current evidence suggests that maltol exerts natural antioxidative properties via obstructing OS and apoptosis. However, the significant effect of maltol on SCI treatment has never been evaluated yet. In our current study, we explored maltol administration that could trigger the expression of Nrf2 and promote the retranslocation of Nrf2 from the cytosol to the nucleus, which can subsequently obstruct OS signal and apoptosis-mediated neuronal cell death after SCI. Furthermore, we found that maltol treatment enhances PINK1/Parkin-mediated mitophagy in PC12 cells, facilitating the recovery of mitochondrial functions. Our findings propose that maltol could be a promising therapeutic candidate for the treatment and management of SCI.

Copyright © 2022 Yuqin Mao et al.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!