Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

John Haynes

ungelesen,
08.10.1997, 03:00:0008.10.97
an

JOURNAL REFERENCES RE: LYME AND MS HAVINAG THE SAME ETIOLOGY
by Kathy Cavert
(816-252-6159)
e-mail- jc...@sprintmail.com

Due to several reqeusts for posting and hundreds of snail mail requests
around the country, I am posting the listing of research I have
accummulated on the net so that more people will have access to
information re: Lyme and MS having the same etiology perhaps and
providing hands-on info. for those whose interest lies in thise area so
that they may access this list for future use. I accummulated this list
in 1992 and so there are many more that follow I am sure and feel free
to make addendums

This should give one a good start anyway. Please attach my name on the
research for credit purposes. This has been sent to the National MS
Society in NY and they have discredited its profound implications as
being not worthy of bacteriologic research into the etiology of Lyme
disease which I found to be a very sad commentary on the mindset of
their organization. Note: These article do not all insist that Lyme
and MS are the same but keep in mind that MS means "mlultiple
sclerosis". Multiple sclerosis simply put mean "many lesions". It is
simply a DESCRIPTIVE NAME of a disease which causes the nerves to lose
their myelin sheath and in particular to show lesions on the brain on
MRI which Lyme does as well. My readings and research having indicated
that the brain lesions, the spinal fluid findings nor the actual
clinical manifestations of Lyme and MS cannot be distsiguished, one from
the other perhas simply due to a strain variance of Lyme. We know that
Lyme causes an immunologic dysfunction including a component of
autoimmune activity possibly causing this neuro damage in the form of MS
activity. The bottom line and most disturbing thing to me is that they
MS society refuses to put out monies for intensive research even after
Dr. Vincent Marshall's exhaustive research from the 1800s showing
spirochetes on the axons of nerves of MS patient autopsies in Europe.
When viruses became popular, they threw the baby out with the bathwater
and now research funding geared toward viruses and immunologic work;
bacterial taking a second seat. The worst of all, there is no etiology
to MS or other autoimmune diseases and yet there seems to be clinical
response to polymyalgia rheumatica, MS, polymyositis, rheumatoid
disease, Alzheimers, ADD, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and
other diseases such as lupus and yet we see them feeling better when
given antibiotic therapy. This is most frightening when the antibiotic
therapy is taken away from them by their rheumatologists and ignored by
their internists. The very key that may unlock the door to these
illnesses and the publications that implicated ALS and other
life-threatening diseases are being ignored as having an infectious
lunderpinning. Personally, I find this inexcusable and find antibiotic
over 3 months IV to be much less damaging than methotrexate, Cytoxin,
prednisone high dose etc. over the long haul for these patients.

Please do attach my name when using this listing, as I want to maintain
the research rights to this time-taking work. Thanks to everyone for
your interest and support through the years.

When looking up some of these journal articles, one will have to use a
medical school or sophisticated library which contains most journals so
that they can more easily access them in one trip. For those pondering
the MS diagnosis, perhaps this will make a better case for the parallel
between the two diseases. Rarely to we pick up an article on
neurologic Lyme (neuroborreliosis) that we do not see demyelinating
syndrome as part of the disucssion (brain lesions).

Also remember that syphilis caused demyelination and we are but a cousin
to this dreaded infection.

The one thing good that did come of this research was the posting of the
MS Society of Lyme on their web page as being a demyelinating disease.

This post is also intended for ALS patients and perhaps even
Guillain-Barre patients as well.

1. ...MRI Reveals Pathology in Neuro Lyme Disease. "Diagnostic
Imaging-MRI Instights".

2. "Biopsy-confirmed CNS Lyme Disease: MR Appearance at l.5T"
American Journal of Neuroradiology-11:482-484.

3. Allen Steere, MD. et al. "The Long Term Course of Lyme Arthritis in
Children" The New England Journal of Medicine. Vo. 325No. 4, Jly 18,
1991.

4. Stephen L. Schechter, MD. "Lyme Disease Associated with Optic
Neuropathy" The American Journal of Medicine. July 1986. v. 81,
143-145

5. H. Kohler, Dept. Clinical Neurology and Neurophysiology, University
of Freiburg, West Germany. "Letter to the Editor". Borrelia
encephalomyelitis." The Lancet. July 5, 1986, p35.

6. "Kyke Award: GD-DTPA-Enhanced MR Imaging of Experimental Bacterial
Meningitis: Evaluation and Comparison with CT. American Journal of
Neuroradiology. 9:1045-1050; No./Dec. 1988.

7. Derek Gay et al. "Multiple Sclerosis Associated with Sinusitis:
Case-controlled study in General Practive. [Ed. note: Recent research
in showing 99% Lyme patients have active sinusitis as presenting
symptoms which often go undetected {unpublished results from personal
research on symptomatology}]. The Lancet. Saturday 12 April 1986.
815-819.

8. Eric L. Logigian, MD; Allen Steere, MS et al. "Chronic Neurologic
Manifestations of Lyme Disease. "The New England Journal of Medicine"
323:21;1438-1444, 1990.

9. Derek Gay. "Hypothesis" Is Mutiple Sclerosis caused by an Oral
Spirochete? The Lancet. July 12. 1986. pp. 75-77.

10. Fernandez et al. "Lyme Disease of the CNS: MR Imaging: Findings
in 14 cases. American Journal of Neuroradiology. 11; May/Jyne, 1990.

11. John Halpersin, MD et al. "Immunologic Reactivity Against Borrelia
burgdorferi In Patients with Motor Neuron Disease." Archives of
Neurology 47:586-594. May 1990.

12. Will Kohlhepp. et al. "Extrapyramidal Features in Central Lyme
Borreliosis." European Neurology. 29:150-155, 1989.

13. Joh J. Halpersin, MD. "Lyme Neuroborreliosis." Laborabory
Medicine. 21:5; May 1990.

14. Louis Reik, Jr., MD et al. "Demyelinating Encephalopathy in Lyme
Disease. Neurology. 46:790-795, July, 1989.

16. Presentation to Rocky Mountain Lab by Kenneth Liegner, MD from
Armonk, New York, re: growing evidence for link between Lyme and MS.
Missoulian Newspaper. Wed August 15, 1990. Gred Lakes. Hamilton,
Montana, Rocky Mountain Lab; NIH facility where Dr. Willy Burgdorfer
discovered the spirochetal etiology of Lyme disease.

17. R. Ackerman, E. Gollmer and B. Rehse-Kupper. "Progressive Borrelial
Encephalomyelitis": The Chronic Neurologic Manifestations of Erythema
Chronicum Migrans (ECM) Disease." Lyme Times Newsletter. April, 1993,
p. 48 Phyllis Mervine, Editor. Reprint of German publication called
Deutche Medizinishe Wochenschrift 110. 1995. Translated by Ron Ferris,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Reprinted with persmission. English title,
"Untreated neuroborreliosis progresses over years to cause serious
MS-like encephalomyelitis."

18. J.H.J. Wokke, MD:,.van Gign, MD; A. Elderson, MD; and G. Stanek,
MD. "Chronic Forms of Borrelia burgdorferi infection of the nervous
system," Neurology 37:1031-1034: 1987.

19. Michael B. chancellor, MD; David E. McGinnis. Patrick J. Shenot,
MS et al. Dept. Urology, Jefferson Medical College. Thomas Jefferson
University, PA 19107. "lette" The Lancet. Vol 339: May 16, 1992
p.1237-1238.

20. Keffreu A. Nelson, MD; Mitchel, D. Wolf, MD; William T.c. Yuh, MD
et al. "Cranial nerve involvement with Lyme borreliosis demonstrated by
magnetic resonance imaging". Neurology. 42:671-673. March 1992.

21. P.K. Coyle,MD;Z.Deng, MS; S.E. Schutzer, MD; A.L. Gelman,MD et al.
"Detection of Borrelia buergdoferi antigens in cerebrospinal fluid."
Neurology. 43:1093-1097, 1993.

2. Saul Rosen, PhD, Md, Section Editor. "Current Perspectives on Lyme
Borreliosis". Journal American medical Association. 276;10, March 11,
1992. "Gran Rounds at the Clinical Center of the National Institute of
Health.".

23 Ackerman, R,MD; Rehse-Kupper, B. MD; "Chronic Neurologic
manifestations of erythema chronicum migrans borreliosis". Annals NY
Academy of Science. 539-16-23.

24. Matuschka, Fr. and Spielman,A. The emergence of Lyme disease in a
changing encironment in North American and Central Europe".
Experimental and Applied Acarology. 2: 1986; 1337-1353.

25. JJ Halpersin, MD; Raymond Dattwyler, MD et al. "Lyme Disease:
Cause of a Treatable Peripheral Neuropathy." Neurology. 37; No 11;
1700-06; 1987.

26. Belman, A.L.; Coyle, Patricia K.; Nachman, S. and Roche, C. "Brain
MRI abnormalities in children infected by Borrelia burgdorferi."
Neurology. 41 (Suppl 1) Item 73 P: March 1991.

27. Vincent Marshal, DVM. "Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic central
nervous system infection by a spirochetal agent." Medical Hypothesis.
25:89-92, 1988.

28 A. Kirk E. winward, MD; J. Lawton Smith, MD et al. "Ocular Lyme
Borreliosis." [ Ed. note: eye diseases found in MS patients called "pars
planitis and "uveitis, scotomas, disk edema, optic neuritis and
neuropathy, blurred vision etc. are implicated in this article as Lyme
disease eye phenomenon as well]. "A similar association with pars
planaitis has been reported in multiple sclerosis [18] Because a
demyelinating syndrome nearly indistinguishable from multiple sclerosis
may also occur in Lyme disease, it is possible that Lyme borreliosis,
pars planitis, and demyelinating disease may, in some cases, share a
common pathogenic mechanism." p. 656. American Journal of Ophthalmology
108:651-657, 1989.

30. A. Berger, B.C., and Leopold, I.H. "The incidence of uveitis in
mutiple sclerosis." American Journal of Ophthalmology. 62-540., 1966.

31. Multiple neurologic manifestations of Borrelia burgdorferi
infection (will need to get the interpreted version from French.
Abstract available on Medline) Duuis, MJ [exerpt:.. the central nervous
system involvement is characterised by slowly progressive or
fluctuating course during month or years, ataxic or spastic gait
disorder, bladder disturbances, cranial nerve sydrunction including
optic atrophy and hypoacusia, dysarthria, focal and diffuse
encephalopathy. This chronic central nervous system disease can mimic
multiple slcerosis psychic disorders or subacute presentilel dementia.
It is often associated with pelocytosis, abnormal EEG and evoked
potentials, sometimes multifocal and mainly periventricular white matter
lesions visualized by CT or MRI......similarities between syphilis and
Borreliosis are mlultiple: both of these spirochets contain plasmids,
can be transmitted through the placenta and progress for many years
through successive stages, with multiorgan sysmptoms, including
parencymetous and vascularlsions of the central nervous system.
Borrelia burgdorferi is the new great new imitator...andcan cause acute
transverse mlyelitis, severe encephalitis, myositis, chronic
neuropathy...recurrent strokes...meningoradiculitis...lyphocytic
meningitis with an acute or even relapsing course, apparently idiopathic
facial palsy, neuritis of other cranial nerves, polyneuritis cranialis,
Argyll-Robertson sign" and so on. Reiews in Neurology (Paris),
1988;144(12):765-775.

32. Cells secreting antibodies to myelin basic protein in cerebrospinal
fluid of patients with Lyme neuroborreliosis. BAig S. Osson T,
HojebergG, LinkH. Dept. of Neurology, Karolinska Institute, Hugginge
Unversity Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden. Neurology 1991; April,
41(4):581-587.

33. Lyme borreliosis neuropathy. A Case report Am lJ. Phys. Medicine
and Rehabilitation, 1996 Jul;75(4):314-316.

34. Neurologic complications of Lyme disease. Coyle, PK, Dept. of
Neurology, School of Medicine, State University of New York, Stony
Brook. Rheumatologic Discussion Clinical North American, 1993,
Nov;19(4)993-1009.

John Haynes

ungelesen,
13.10.1997, 03:00:0013.10.97
an

Subject:
MS/Lyme literature
Date:
Wed, 08 Oct 1997 12:55:25 -0500
From:
John Haynes <jc...@sprintmail.com>
Newsgroups:
sci.med.diseases.lyme

33. Lyme borreliosis neuropathy. A Case report Am J. Phys. Medicine

John Haynes

ungelesen,
16.10.1997, 03:00:0016.10.97
an

Due to continued requests, I am reposting this research listing. If you already copied it off, please
just ignore. Thanks and enjoy.

Lyme Disease and Multiple Sclerosis Possibly Having the Same
Etiology
by Kathy Cavert, MS

Article Segment 2 of 3
(Get Previous Segment)
(Get All 3 Segments)

22. Saul Rosen, PhD, Md, Section Editor. "Current Perspectives on Lyme

33. Lyme borreliosis neuropathy. A Case report Am lJ. Phys. Medicine

Allen antworten
Dem Autor antworten
Weiterleiten
0 neue Nachrichten