Have you had Very low body temperature from Lyme?

joebur

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

I've had my body temperature drop to as low as 94.5 degrees. Has
anyone experienced
this? I'm trying to sort out if it is Lyme related. I have no answers
at this time.

Your help is appreciated........... josh

ATroyer299

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
I've had mine drop to as low as 95. Yes, its lyme related and I think has
something to do with your thyroid.

ticke...@my-deja.com

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Yes,low body temperature is a symptom of Lyme Disease. I believe the
spiros prefer the lower temps. Before I got Lyme, my normal temp was
always the normal 98.6. Since getting Lyme, it ranges from 95.6 to
97.2 For the first three weeks or so after I was diagnosed, I was
instructed to take my temp three times a day. It did fluctuate, but
always remained low.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Lawrence

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

I've had mine drop to as low as 95. Yes, its lyme related and I think has
something to do with your thyroid.
<<<<<<

This is what I asked about last week. Freezing cold as a symptom. Many
people wrote to me and said that they too had had that symptom. Some people
thought it was thyroid related. Some others thought that it was due to the
autonomic nervous system being off kilter. One woman said she thought it was
thyroid and so she'd gone to her doctor and gotten thyroid medicine.
However, the medicine greatly increased her anxiety, which makes it seem
unlikely that it was thyroid. Still, for all that, hypothyroidism seems
common with Lyme.

JSchm47974

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Josh,
My body temp is lower than it used to be as well. It now usually hovers around
the 97.3 deg F mark, although it will occasionally dip down to 96.3 deg. I
believe that it may be in response to the illness process, and may not be
strictly due to Lyme.

What's strange is that when I am feeling ill my temp will rise to 98.0,
sometimes even a little higher. I've been reading about Wilson's syndrome and
may pursue this further.

Jim

GiantHeap1

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Josh;
Mine is usually 97.5 to 97.8
Also two weeks a go I was up all night with what i thought was a fever. I had
the chills like never before for about 4 hours or so. I finally got to sleep
and when I awoke it was as if nothing had happened at all. I have heard of this
happening with lyme.

JGreen1471

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Yes. My temp was always on the low side. But now it is usually under the 97
mark and I think it is Lyme related.
Joan

Anita Field

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
My son has has 95.5 on several occasions

Art Doherty

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
to joebur
Could be hypothroidism.

My temperature was constantly low and I always felt cold even after most
of my other Lyme disease symptoms had disappeared after high-dosage,
low-term amoxicillin. My doctor tested for antibodies against thyroid,
found mine to be elevated, and prescribed a small amount of synthroid.
The synthroid has made a tremendous difference - no more feelings of
cold, my temperatures are back to normal, and I have more energy.

For more on my Lyme disease history, see:

Lyme disease personal history for Art Doherty
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/6772/my-lyme-disease-history.txt

Lyme disease information from Art Doherty
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/6772/on-lyme-disease.txt

Doxycycline and amoxicillin and Lyme disease
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/6455/doxy-amox.txt

-----
Lots Of Links On Lyme Disease
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/6455/lyme-links.html

-----
Art Doherty
Lompoc, California
doh...@utech.net

JOAN1ARK

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Have your thyroid checked. Take a thermometer and put it under your arm for 15
minutes every morning for 3 days. If it is less than 98 degrees, you may have a
thyroid problem. Typical thyroid tests dont always work. There are different
more detailed tests that can show a thyroid problem. Some say thyroid goes hand
in hand with LD.

Susan

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

Hi Josh,

I would have to agree with the hypothyroid possibility,
since I am hypothyroid and have Lyme and Babesiosis.
Since the thyroid rules metabolism, the meds will not work properly,
so you have a vicious cycle. Spirochetes have been
cultured from surgically removed thyroid nodules of
Lyme patients. I agree with the person who said take your
temperature every morning before getting out of bed. I believe
if your temp is consistently below 97, then its possible it's
hypothyroidism. Tests were negative for me, but one of my docs
agreed to try a very low dosage of natural Armour thyroid.

I noticed a difference in several days, but it took several months to
gradually
get to the right dosage, which for me is 3gr. and considered high.
A too high dosage can result in stroke, so you need a trusting doc
and need to know the symptoms of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
well before asking to try this.
Finding a doc who will do this is about a difficult as finding
a doc to treat Lyme. Docs are taught the thyroid test is the
gold standard. The doc who treats my hypothyroidism, is also
hypothyroid, and doesn't think much of the tests.

My thyroid is producing hormone and circulates in my blood as the
tests indicate, but what is going on after that point?
Maybe something is wrong in the way I utilize my own hormone.
The current tests can't answer this question. My thyroid antibody
testing is negative.
For an excellent website, newsletter, physicians
go to about.com. and search hypothyroidism.

Please send replies to aqu...@aol.com, mindspring email is bouncing.

Susan

joebur <joe...@jersey.net> wrote in message

KFT333

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Josh: I have never had that low of a temperature---but I am usually 97
everyday.
There was a time when I would run a low grade fever 100.8 for weeks. I am on
treatment for 24 weeks--still have a 97 temp. I hear it occurs in Lyme---I am
not sure why. 94.5 is really low. Did you try another thermometer? I was
using one that was incorrect when I started treatment---It showed 102 for many
days--then I realized it was faulty. At first I figured it was higher because
of the war going on inside--but then when I tried another one, it was several
degrees off. Tests aren't accurate---now even thermometers aren't. Get to a
doctor and see what they say about such a low temp---and don't settle for
"You're just cool"--that is too low. Good Luck!!

FFruin

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

> I've had my body temperature drop to as low as 94.5 degrees. Has
>anyone experienced
>this? I'm trying to sort out if it is Lyme related. I have no answers
>at this time.
>
> Your help is appreciated........... josh

Josh,

Annie and Lawrence seem to have the same question as you. My temperatures goes
out of wack too. Up one minute, down the next. I think that this is all just
part of this crazy disease. Do you think it has to do with the brain
somehow(temperature control).... Since Spirochetes can invade the Central
Nervous System. If it's hypothyroidism, as the others have mentioned, can it
be confirmed by a thyroid screening? So far my thyroid tests have been all
negative. It looks like my case leans more towards Lyme itself.

But yours seems too low (hypothermia). Did you speak to your doctor? Maybe
the doctor should run some tests: anemia, thyroid, CT scan, etc....

Denise and Fred from New York

Laurie

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00

> I've had my body temperature drop to as low as 94.5 degrees. Has
> anyone experienced
> this? I'm trying to sort out if it is Lyme related. I have no answers
> at this time.
>
> Your help is appreciated........... josh

Josh - I am astounded at the number of replies to your post!! My lowest
(measured) temp was 95.5, very frightening since I felt on the verge of
hypothermia. It usually coincides with a burning face, and shaking chills
that cause my teeth to chatter. I have to lie down with an electric
blanket, have someone make me something hot to drink (if I'm alone I just
pour hot water from the tap and drink it) to warm the stomach and then,
finally, take a hot shower. I do not have any thyroid abnormalities, so I
do not have any explanation for this, nor does any doctor whom I've seen
since getting ill with Lyme in June of 1984.

Laurie

Tim Stout

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

joebur <joe...@jersey.net> wrote in message >
> I've had my body temperature drop to as low as 94.5 degrees. Has
> anyone experienced
> this? I'm trying to sort out if it is Lyme related. I have no answers
> at this time.

The following post was placed on this newsgroup last March by
\ It's Just Stress"Patty <haro...@sunlink.net> :

Heat Therapy: In the laboratory increased temperatures have a negative
effect upon borrelia.
Dr. Reisinger, et. al., reported in 1995(JSTBD V2(4)p101) and in1996
(Scan J Infect Dis;28(2):155-157). Using 3 different strains, the
authors found that all strains were inhibited in growth up to 40 degrees
C and killed at 42 degrees C. In addition the susceptibility of
borrelia to bacteriocidal agents( penicillin and ceftriaxone were
studied) increased logarithmically as temperature increased. For
example, the potency of these antibiotics increased 16 fold by elevating
from 36 degrees to 38 degrees C. (for most of us these numbers convert
to 96.8 degrees F and 100.4 degrees F). To get this effect, in the
laboratory, the longer the exposure to heat, the more injury to
borrelia. Two strains were vulnerable at lower temperatures.
What does this mean for the victim of borreliosis? Many have noted
that their bodies are often at a lower temperature than others. Are
borrelia taking advantage of victims by lowering the host temperature
and thus replicating better? Can we help our bodies in ridding us of
this plague by thermal means?
It is difficult to find any clinical studies utilizing heat
treatment of Lyme disease except for the heat induced by infecting
victims with malaria. (Heimlich, NEJM 1990;322:1234-1235). This is
reported to cause remission but not cure. It also is not accepted in
the USA to infect victims with malaria.
Can the same benefit be achieved by external heat without the risk of
malaria?
It is found that immersion in hot tubs at 104 degrees F raises the
core temperature (oral) by 1 degree for every 10 min immersion. Thus
for the 36 degree C victim, 20min immersion will result in the 38 degree
C core temperature. After some time, a number of victims may tolerate
up to 40min of immersion which matches a 40 degree C or 104degree F core
temperature. Thus for about 30 min the deep tissue niches of borrelia
such as brain stem, ligaments, and joints are assisted in fighting
borrelia with increased temperatures. For this time and some time
afterward as the body returns to its baseline temperature, the borrelia
are exposed theoretically to 16 to 160 times as much antibiotic.
Perhaps the slime coating around borrelia and the wall are rendered more
porous and the antibiotics can penetrate inside the borrelia. Perhaps
the borrelia cannot modulate antigenicity well to rapid temperature
changes at these levels. Perhaps the flagella are not functioning at
this temperature and borrelia can be "caught" by monocytes and ingested.

Whatever the mechanism of heat treatment, victims of borrelia
usually report the following. At first the heat is difficult to
tolerate. Victims must start and advance slowly with others assisting in
and out of the tub. Often pain and tingling are even worse in the tub.
Many have "herxheimer" like reactions afterwards and these are reported
to be marked. However as time goes by, most who can continue the heat
treatments, find that the symptoms while in the tub decrease and
disappear and that the herxheimer after- effect decreases. It is wise
to drink liquids while in the tub and afterwards. Some try rapid
cooling of the skin after 10 minutes of immersion with ice or hosing and
then repeat the heat immersion. A longer immersion time can thus be
endured and redirection of warmed skin blood to the core repeated. This
is like exercising without a work load. Some have endured external
temperature of the water at 110 degrees F to more hopefully eradicate
skin borrelia but this seems extreme for most.
Would breathing oxygen supplementation with a face mask also
improve inhibition or killing of borrelia? Oxygen makes logical sense
since borrelia are anaerobic but lab testing of this hypothesis appears
impossible.
Finally, it may be correct to take a bacteriocidal antibiotic as
part of a combination protocol if heat treatment is used.
Tyndallization is a past microbiological term for inducing microbes
which are hidden in spores and cysts to exit their protected encysted
stage. Borrelia are known to exist in encysted stages.(Brorson-
Transformation of cystic forms of Borrelia b to normal mobile
spirochetes. Infection 1997;25:240-246.) These motile forms might best
be attacked by a bacteriocidal agent at this time. At cooler times, a
bacteriostatic agent, might be appropriate to have "on board".
Inducing the borrelia to exit encysted forms in the skin and other
niches might at first make the victim sicker, but the goal is to get in
control of this microbe and after 3- 6 months reduce its presence and
harmful influence on the host- us. So far antibiotic treatment alone,
particularly in the shorter courses offered, has resulted in 50% of
victims suffering from a persistent infection both in early localized
borreliosis and later disseminated intracellular borreliosis.(Steere A.
Treatment of the Early Manfestations of Lyme Disease. Ann of Int
Med.1983;99:22-26. Treib J. Clinical and serologic follow-up in
patients with neuroborreliosis. Neurology 1998;51:1489-1491) Perhaps
heat treatment can be one modality to help us shift the balance more in
favor of us-- the large warm mammals.

heath...@my-deja.com

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00

>Whatever the mechanism of heat treatment, victims of borrelia
>usually report the following. At first the heat is difficult to
>tolerate. Victims must start and advance slowly with others assisting
>in and out of the tub. Often pain and tingling are even worse in the
>tub. Many have "herxheimer" like reactions afterwards and these are
>reported to be marked. However as time goes by, most who can continue
>the heat treatments, find that the symptoms while in the tub decrease
>and disappear and that the herxheimer after- effect decreases.

The above matches my experience with my hot tuto a "t". When I got the
hot tub and started using it, shortly after beginning antibiotic
therapy, my heart would start racing and I would feel very dizzy and
numb. It got a little better every night I used it and I tolerate it
well now. I went on vacation for a week and used no hot water therapy.
When I returned to using the hot tub, I had a similar milder herx
reaction. It's good to have some clinical confirmation, I thought I was
just nuts.

Heather

Lymekiller

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
Mine was 95 yesterday, and today I am herxing and its almost 100. God
this disease causes so much insanity. I guess its making our thyroid go
bonkers so the spirochetes can reproduce at a lower body temp. Damn
beasts!!

BratDet

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
"I do not have any thyroid abnormalities, so I
do not have any explanation for this, nor does any doctor whom I've seen
since getting ill with Lyme in June of 1984."

no anti-thyroglobulin or anti-tpo antibodies??? did you have a TRH
stimulation test...you can have a normal TSH (ranges seem to be set too
high...most ppl feel best at a TSH between1 and 2...mine was 5.5 before I also
failed a TRH stimulation test.....my regular thyroid lab panels TSH, T4, T3
were all in range....didn't matter...the TRH test detected the problem....and
also the antibodies.....get copies of your lab work and see what thyroid labs
you DID have.....
my temps were always subnormal...been on thyroid meds just over a year, and
finally have normalized temps Bernadette

KJRU

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
<<

> I've had my body temperature drop to as low as 94.5 degrees. Has
> anyone experienced
> this? I'm trying to sort out if it is Lyme related. I have no answers
> at this time.

One day,when I was on IV and had a nurse come weekly to check everything, I was
92. She was amazed and called the hospital. They had her stay so if we couldn't
get it up she could bring me in. She was funny, she said "dead people have
higher body temp than you!"
It got up to 95. It went down to 94 several times but not 92 again. It is also
a symptom that the IV really helped.
kj
kj
~find your own rainbow~

gillcm...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2019, 7:16:41 AM3/4/19
Yes indeed i have even 93.5 usually 95 but i am as yet undiagnosed test tomorrow, been ill for months.

lindsey...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2019, 4:27:25 AM4/12/19
Currently having the same issues and also undiagnosed. How did the tests go?

gregm...@yahoo.com

Jun 9, 2019, 1:45:39 PM6/9/19
I was diagnosed a couple days ago with LD. I was running fevers all day sometimes over 102.00. Now, I have been taking readings of like 96 ad 97. I searched this to see what others thought and thought I’d add that I am low temp. This is crazy

finlays...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2020, 11:16:17 PM2/4/20
I came onto this forum for the same question. For a week my temp has been 94.9 to 95.3. My Dr. Won't look at Lyme here in Canada anymore. But they don't know what I'm fighting. Numbness abdominal cramps to severe pain. Loss of pelvic floor control. From time to time numb on left side of my face. Tired 24 hours of the day could sleep all the time. So many other symptoms