Complaint filed against Dattwyler

joebur

Dec 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/31/99

I filed a complaint against Dattwyler to the OPMC concerning his
refusal to recognize
Lyme disease as a long-term illness. I acknowledged that his position
could be very harmful to
any patients he may be treating. Also, I asserted that his medical
license should be revoked.

The OPMC replied, "In the case of Lyme disease, the CDC American
Lyme Disease Foundation, Medical Letter, and a host of other sources
have provided guidance for the standard care of Lyme disease. Rarely, if
ever, have these published guidelines indicated that anything more than
two-three weeks are required to cure Lyme disease."

Ansel Marks of the OPMC also stated, "As defined by law, a
difference of medical opinion, in
and of itself, is not medical misconduct. Therefore, the OPMC can take
no action with regard to
Dr. Dattwyler."

********** My fellow Lyme patients/physicians/researchers:

It is imperative that we take
legal action against the OPMC. It is obvious that this organization has
little concern for patients and is more concerned with appeasing the
insurance
industry. Those representing this organization must be held accountable
for their corrupt actions.

josh

Nancy B.

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Thank you for your actions taken, and for posting here for us to learn from
your experience.

I think you are on to something.

Where do we go from here? (How do we contact OPMC, what is the general
consensus of what we should write about, etc.?)

Nancy

joebur <joe...@jersey.net> wrote in message

Ellen Lubarsky

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
I think reporting Dattwyler, et al to the OPMC is very important.
However, I think it is important that only those who saw him and have
legitimate, documented gripes about how he treated you should report
him. If we all write, it will cloud the very real fact that many of the
Lymies who saw him were underdiagnosed and undertreated and can prove
it.

jl...@aol.com

Jan 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/2/00
Josh-
You should save that letter from the OPMC, because it might be helpful
to the llmds being investigated in your state to have it on record from
them that a difference of medical opinion does not represent
misconduct. Perhaps you should send copies of it to the lyme docs. Are
you in NJ? If so, could you drop me an email, because I'm sure my llmd
would love to have a copy?

Other than that, while I think we all would like revenge against idiots
like Dattwyler, Sigal, and Steere, I really don't think we're going to
accomplish anything by reporting them, except to make lymies look even
more nuts and make the atmosphere even more difficult for us and for
the good and courageous lyme docs. If we could gather very hard
evidence from patients undertreated or misdiagnosed by them, and get
experts willing to testify against them, it might be a different story.
Otherwise, IMHO it's a waste of energy and time that would better be
spent organizing actions in other areas, such as getting rid of the
ERISA law and getting chronic lyme listed as a disability by social
security, so lymies don't have such a hard time getting their benefits.

In article <386D6D11...@jersey.net>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Devnull

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
well most doctor's think that lyme is easily treated with 3 weeks of 100mg
doxy 2x a day. N one's lisence is getting revoked, lyme is not even
recognized as a real disease really.

L.L.

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
Who exactly are the experts if not infact the LLMD's? We need proof I agree but
when A Steere diagnosed me with fibro. myalgia after he and his colleagues
vaccinated me 3 times with Lymerix and I NEVER had fibro. before the lyme
shots, then what? I was represented by THE LLLawyer and he pulled out after 2
yrs.cuz he sits on the LDF board. After a while (nearly 5 years of suffering )
I have become extremely discouraged to say the least! If you don't have
letters behind your name (in this Lyme game ) nobody believes you and there is
no one left to trust! I truly wish everybody well, but if my situation is
typical ( and I think it is ) then NOTHING is going to happen for years and
years if at all! Because whether we like it or not $$$ is power and the ones
making the $$$ basically don't give a shit about us. LL

JWissmille

Jan 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/4/00
> lyme is not even
>recognized as a real disease really.

Lyme is caused by a bacteria, Borrelia burgdorferi, so if it isn't recognized
as a disease--the nonrecognizer needs to go back to disease school. I think we
have a failure to recognize-- a lack of brain cells that are functioning in the
Lame "Lyme Brain Trust".